Home

Rabbit Hasenpfeffer

Posted By: KsTrapper88

Rabbit Hasenpfeffer - 01/29/22 02:26 AM

[Linked Image]

Shot a couple of cottontail while running traps last week and my wife made this. I’m going to have to stomp through the brush more often chasing bunnies because this meal was delicious. We usually eat them fried like we do with fox squirrels and that’s pretty good, but this is my new favorite.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Rabbit Hasenpfeffer - 01/29/22 02:28 AM

That looks great!
Do you know what recipe she used?

Re: Rabbit Hasenpfeffer - 01/29/22 02:32 AM

From the MeatEater cookbook. I just checked and the same recipe can be found online if you google MeatEater Hasenpfeffer.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Rabbit Hasenpfeffer - 01/29/22 02:33 AM

That looks some good.
Posted By: crossfox21

Re: Rabbit Hasenpfeffer - 01/29/22 02:41 AM

Reminds me of an episode from the old Bugs Bunny cartoon!
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Rabbit Hasenpfeffer - 01/29/22 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by KsTrapper88
From the MeatEater cookbook. I just checked and the same recipe can be found online if you google MeatEater Hasenpfeffer.

Thanks much!
I’ve used his Osso Bucco and a couple other of his recipes. Good stuff.
Posted By: SJA

Re: Rabbit Hasenpfeffer - 01/29/22 02:50 AM

Posted By: sjc

Re: Rabbit Hasenpfeffer - 01/29/22 03:05 AM

Looks good if you like that kind of thing. When my wife and I were going out, I took her grandfather rabbit hunting with my hounds. We killed a bunch of rabbits. They were full German and had us over for hasenfefer. I'm a pollack and have been eating rabbit since I could eat solid food. We always ate rabbit roasted in gravey. No sweet. No vinegar. I love it. Anyway, I took a big plate of the hasenfefer. It looked similar to what I was used to. I got a real surprise when I took a bite. I cleaned my plate,but it wasn't easy.
Posted By: run

Re: Rabbit Hasenpfeffer - 01/29/22 03:21 AM

Nice looking food.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Rabbit Hasenpfeffer - 01/29/22 04:10 AM

I made some a few weeks ago out of snowshoe Hare. My late aunts recipe. Its good hot or cold. We ususlly didnt eat it until it sat in the jar for week in the fridge.

[Linked Image]

Re: Rabbit Hasenpfeffer - 01/29/22 04:29 AM

That’s a good looking meal Yukon.

Re: Rabbit Hasenpfeffer - 01/29/22 04:34 AM

sjc I think I’d like it the way you grew up on too.

Here’s a few fox squirrels we cooked up in august but it’s the same way I’ve always had rabbit too. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Rabbit Hasenpfeffer - 01/29/22 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by yukonjeff
I made some a few weeks ago out of snowshoe Hare. My late aunts recipe. Its good hot or cold. We ususlly didnt eat it until it sat in the jar for week in the fridge.

[Linked Image]

Even left the eyeballs in there lol
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Rabbit Hasenpfeffer - 01/29/22 05:20 AM

That’s a good looking meal Yukon.

Thanks, yours looks good too. any German would eat it for sure.

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
[quote=yukonjeff]I made some a few weeks ago out of snowshoe Hare. My late aunts recipe. Its good hot or cold. We ususlly didnt eat it until it sat in the jar for week in the fridge.

Even left the eyeballs in there lol

Those are turds.
Posted By: run

Re: Rabbit Hasenpfeffer - 01/29/22 02:20 PM

LOL.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Rabbit Hasenpfeffer - 01/29/22 02:23 PM

Looks good but what's most shocking is that you were able to spell it.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Rabbit Hasenpfeffer - 01/29/22 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.

grin
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Rabbit Hasenpfeffer - 01/29/22 02:59 PM

I always had my rabbit pan fried or roasted because that's was how my mother did it. When met my wife her mom my mother in-law. She made me some the hossenfeffer type rabbit for me. Can't say that it was my favorite after that. One of my wifes older Aunts was always going to make raccoon for me done that way. I would have tried it had she made it. But I'm guessing wouldn't have been that crazy about it. Don't mind vinegar on my salad or pickles. Don't care much for it on my red meats.

Mac

Re: Rabbit Hasenpfeffer - 01/29/22 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.

I cheated on the spelling since it was written in a cook book.

I guess it’s my German ancestry but I like vinegar a lot, pickled something, or lots of somethings was always our snack at the fish shack in Ontario growing up with my Wisconsin side of the family. But I Wouldn’t use it in a venison recipe, that would probably be too far for me
Posted By: asphalttrapper

Re: Rabbit Hasenpfeffer - 01/29/22 03:39 PM

I've made this before too. It's a bit time consuming but delicious.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Rabbit Hasenpfeffer - 01/29/22 05:02 PM

[Linked Image]
Loki and I managed to score a nice cottontail this morning. Might have to give this a try.
Posted By: sjc

Re: Rabbit Hasenpfeffer - 01/30/22 01:39 AM

sjc I think I’d like it the way you grew up on too.

Here’s a few fox squirrels we cooked up in august but it’s the same way I’ve always had rabbit too. [Linked Image]

I could eat that. We roll the meats in flour with salt and pepper, then pan fry, put them aside, make a gravey with what's in the pan, then put it all in a roaster in the oven. Same with squirrel. A lot of times as a kid we had rabbit, squirrel and pats all together. No biscuit though. Mashed taters and string beans.

Re: Rabbit Hasenpfeffer - 01/30/22 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by 20scout
[Linked Image]
Loki and I managed to score a nice cottontail this morning. Might have to give this a try.

That looks like a pretty big rabbit. And Loki looks pretty proud of it too.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Rabbit Hasenpfeffer - 01/30/22 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by 20scout
[Linked Image]

That looks like a pretty big rabbit. And Loki looks pretty proud of it too.

Both! We where hunting squirrels and I scared this guy up. It ran around the shed and right into Loki. Don't know who was more startled but Loki finished him off without me firing a shot! He carried it around for awhile but gave it up without any problems. He's napping on the couch after a busy day!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums