Home

CCI stingers

Posted By: Wolfdog91

CCI stingers - 01/31/22 02:58 AM

Anyone been having a problem with these ? Coon hunting buddy of mine where walking about prefered ammo for coon hunting and he said he's been trying CCI stingers and have been getting alot of the following
[Linked Image]

Not trying to crap on them or anyone who likes them btw but just curious what y'all think ? Shooting too far ? Angle of the shot mabye ?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: CCI stingers - 01/31/22 03:04 AM

I always did fine with them Coon hunting
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: CCI stingers - 01/31/22 03:05 AM

Never seen it. I find it hard to believe he's had it happen often. I've shot a lot of coons with them.
Posted By: Marty

Re: CCI stingers - 01/31/22 03:06 AM

I go not like them at all...
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: CCI stingers - 01/31/22 03:15 AM

You would think a stinger would be in small pieces.
Posted By: Marty

Re: CCI stingers - 01/31/22 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
You would think a stinger would be in small pieces.

yup.
Posted By: Howell Bros

Re: CCI stingers - 01/31/22 03:28 AM

Had that happen too many times while coon hunting. Never could figure out what caused it. Sometimes they were close, sometimes far. I only use mini mag hollow points now. Don't have that happen much if ever.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: CCI stingers - 01/31/22 03:37 AM

Odd considering my boys shoot them with a .22 cal pcp air gun and have no issues. Maybe a bad lot made it out the door?

I findvthem often under the skin on the off side of the head when shot with 4.25" barrel .22 hand gun. Not stingers but bulk pack.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: CCI stingers - 01/31/22 04:28 AM

I can't say I have shot a coon with stingers , they about turn a squirrel into hamburger if you hit them in meat.

from a rifle they are going close to 1500 fps around 30% faster and are about 20% lighter in the bullet than a standard 22lr

I haven't seen it personally but violent expansion and low penetration is possible they do violently expand compared to normal 22lr ammo that I have seen. wound channel is impressive in soft tissue for a 22lr

on head shots you need more penetration than the energy dump

if you are shooting up into the tree at eyes looking down , it is possible your making entry then catching the slope of the skull and it rides under the skin deflected

catching a little brush in the way that pre expands the bullet and robs a bunch of energy.

bad lot of ammo , there are several possibilities

you should put some in steel and replicate the shot close as you can and see in the daylight and necroscopy what results you get .
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: CCI stingers - 01/31/22 05:20 AM

When Stingers first came out they were all the rage. I didn't use but a few before I refused to hunt squirrels or rabbits with them. They would ruin way too much meat if you hit anyplace other than the head, and too gruesome with a head shot. .. Now if you were fox hunting they were just fine, and they were visually spectacular when thinning out the Starlings that always tried to take over our bird houses. It would rain Starling parts for 2-3 days after the shot!
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: CCI stingers - 01/31/22 05:34 AM

Almost 40 years, I saw a big WT doe hung up in a college student's trailer entryway that they claimed was shot with CCI Stingers--not legal in SD now or then. The first hit would not have put the deer down but the one through the lungs did-- if it really was a Stinger and not a high-powered .22 center fire round.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: CCI stingers - 01/31/22 10:20 AM

I am well stocked with them. I have a couple favorite squirrel guns. A .22lr Marlin Glenfield mod 25 bolt and a Ruger 10/22 semi, both rifles shoot very open wide groups at squirrel range with stingers. Same rifles with Federal match or standard CCI, shoot minute of eyeball at squirrel range. Close range destruction for sure, at long range I just don't find them accurate. I suppose I could dedicate a rifle to them and work on the accuracy.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: CCI stingers - 01/31/22 10:33 AM

Plain lead, or copper covered, 40 grain 22 long rifle. Everything else is a gimmick. Work to kill a hog or steer, deer or rabbit. Coon in the chicken house or skunk in the garden. A 22 rimfire will never perform like a high power. Its not supposed to. If you want more pop from a 22 step up to a 22 hornet center fire. In its niche, the 22 rimfire, 40 grain long rifle, is a dandy.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: CCI stingers - 01/31/22 10:37 AM

NON pc been a LOT of deer killed with a 22 long rifle rimfire. And not stingers. The stingers dont work to good. If your close enough to kill a deer with a bow your close enough to kill one with a 22. Brain, center of the throat while it looking at you into the spine, heart. Will drop everyone you shoot. Heart shot it may go 40-50 yards before it tips over. Been a lot of kids kept fed with a 22.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: CCI stingers - 01/31/22 11:44 AM

Ive got mini mag hollows in lr for my 10/22, and maxi mag hollows for my wmr marlin.
Didn't like the stingers for some reason, maybe it was this.
I used to really like Remington yellow jackets or hyper velocity hollows on coon, but hard to find those today. Also had good luck with Winchester. 22 lrs in hollow.
Jim
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: CCI stingers - 01/31/22 11:59 AM

I had that happen years ago when I used Federals,quit using them and went to Stingers and never had a problem.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: CCI stingers - 01/31/22 12:18 PM

They only shoot well out of one of my half-dozen or so .22 rifles. Targets look like I'm patterning a shotgun with the other rifles.

As mentioned above, way too much damage on squirrels and rabbits. I quit using them for that.

Like J. Morse. I used to enjoy vaporizing starlings with Stingers but have since taken to eating them.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: CCI stingers - 01/31/22 01:17 PM

I've seen that in beaver I've trapped (after the homeowner shot them unsuccessfully). I always guessed range was the issue, but not sure.

Originally Posted by jabNE
Ive got mini mag hollows in lr for my 10/22, and maxi mag hollows for my wmr marlin.
Didn't like the stingers for some reason, maybe it was this.
I used to really like Remington yellow jackets or hyper velocity hollows on coon, but hard to find those today. Also had good luck with Winchester. 22 lrs in hollow.
Jim

Yep, I went to the Winchester 40 gr hp too. The stingers didn't pattern well in my 1022 either.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: CCI stingers - 01/31/22 01:34 PM

Danny C.- There is no doubt that a lot of deer have been taken with .22 rimfire and people fed with the results. I'm not going to judge others who have been in that situation. Because it is illegal in SD to kill a deer with a .22 rimfire and myself have never been in the situation where I needed food that badly, I have not been associated with such activity. I was just relating a story where I saw a deer that had been reportedly taken with a .22 Stinger. I don't think these particular guys could get the precision needed for a brain shot as I believe the story was that both the deer and the shooters were on the move at a certain speed. The shooter was lucky to get the lung shot in that situation.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: CCI stingers - 01/31/22 01:49 PM

Never had that happen
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: CCI stingers - 01/31/22 08:26 PM

Stingers are my go to for 50 years.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums