Home

Hoot, Hoot

Posted By: bblwi

Hoot, Hoot - 02/01/22 10:28 PM

Wow the last 10 evenings the owls have been hooting like crazy. Mating season is with us here. I have the good fortune to have 4-5 really great small pine and spruce groves within a few miles of my house and one can stop just after dark and get out and listen. Most times it is 2 or 3 but one still night I could hear a half dozen or so.

Bryce
Posted By: k snow

Re: Hoot, Hoot - 02/01/22 10:49 PM

Thats pretty cool. We hear a lot of owls out here too. I'll have to step out tonight and listen.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Hoot, Hoot - 02/01/22 10:54 PM

Very nice.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Hoot, Hoot - 02/01/22 11:51 PM

I have Barred Owl's, and I think 3 other species living out back of my barn. Love to hear them going crazy back there, and I've been working in the or around the barn, and looked up to see one watching me!
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Hoot, Hoot - 02/02/22 12:01 AM

My grandkids love listening to them and my son has taught them to be pretty good at Hooting back at them just with their voice.They especialy like it when they Hoot,,and a Turkey answers them back. smile
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Hoot, Hoot - 02/02/22 12:04 AM

That's Awesome
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Hoot, Hoot - 02/02/22 03:14 AM

Been hearing the owls here too.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Hoot, Hoot - 02/02/22 03:28 AM

The owls in my back woods seems to get the neighbors dogs all worked up. An owl hoots and the dogs bark. Dogs bark and the owls reply. This can go on for quite some time.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Hoot, Hoot - 02/02/22 03:56 AM

is it not the Barred Owl that says; who-who-cooks -for you
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Hoot, Hoot - 02/02/22 04:06 AM

The great horned owls here have been sitting in eggs since Christmas. Every year we go out on Christmas Eve and night to listen.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Hoot, Hoot - 02/02/22 12:04 PM

There is a 40 acre woodlot and swamp behind my house where I hear several species of owls calling at different times of the year. I'm able to identify a few from their calls, the rest I have to look up. Inspired by your post, I went out and stood on the deck about ten minutes last night but no hooting.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Hoot, Hoot - 02/02/22 12:07 PM

I imagine the Turkeys are on high alert and going to bed a lot earlier
Posted By: bobsheedy

Re: Hoot, Hoot - 02/02/22 01:19 PM

I heard 'em Nov into Dec, but nothing lately.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Hoot, Hoot - 02/02/22 01:38 PM

hoo hoo who a hoo......
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Hoot, Hoot - 02/02/22 01:45 PM

Yup, lots around here too this year.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Hoot, Hoot - 02/02/22 02:09 PM

I "know" a guy that picked up a bard owl with broken wing and rehabed it. When he released it decided to live in His woods out back. It called in a mate and they have nested there every year since. One year there was a young one feathered but still with soft feathers on its body dead in the drive. I think it crashed into the tree there learning how to fly. His plan was to take it to a rehaber like he did with another owl that had a broken leg and a hawk that had a broken wing. But he set the wing and got busy several days passed. Days turned to weeks weeks to months. When it could fly fed feed it all it would eat for 3 days and opened the door.

The kids would go out and hoot back and forth with it. Its been 8 years or so since it was released
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Hoot, Hoot - 02/02/22 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Willy Firewood
The great horned owls here have been sitting in eggs since Christmas. Every year we go out on Christmas Eve and night to listen.

That's Cool
Posted By: run

Re: Hoot, Hoot - 02/02/22 02:22 PM

Nice thread, Bryce. I have not noticed the owls recently.
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: Hoot, Hoot - 02/02/22 04:15 PM

All owls are fun to watch and listen to, but there's nothing like the Barred owl mating calls!!
Posted By: Tray

Re: Hoot, Hoot - 02/02/22 05:41 PM

Just starting to hear the Saw-whets tooting here, being a bird person I get lots of people who send me recordings of odd bird sounds that they want to identify, many time it’s owl calls at night that gets their attention.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Hoot, Hoot - 02/02/22 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
I "know" a guy that picked up a bard owl with broken wing and rehabed it. When he released it decided to live in His woods out back. It called in a mate and they have nested there every year since. One year there was a young one feathered but still with soft feathers on its body dead in the drive. I think it crashed into the tree there learning how to fly. His plan was to take it to a rehaber like he did with another owl that had a broken leg and a hawk that had a broken wing. But he set the wing and got busy several days passed. Days turned to weeks weeks to months. When it could fly fed feed it all it would eat for 3 days and opened the door.

The kids would go out and hoot back and forth with it. Its been 8 years or so since it was released

Pretty good rehaber than can rehab a dead owl. grin
Posted By: Camohoyt340

Re: Hoot, Hoot - 02/03/22 06:40 AM

Around here, if you hoot back at them, you can sometimes get them to come to you. A few times I’ve got them to land in the tree right above my head.
Posted By: jk

Re: Hoot, Hoot - 02/03/22 01:21 PM

especially the screech owls, they are easy to call in.......jk
© 2024 Trapperman Forums