Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 12:52 AM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/tech...ral/ar-AATprW3?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 01:13 AM

They're just coming home...
Posted By: coyote 1

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 01:36 AM

Cali is loaded with them. The top feral hog is speaker of the house.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 01:37 AM

One way not to have to buy bacon! Just pass a law that the hogs are not allowed in CA.
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 01:41 AM

Once people see the true extent of serious animal problems, especially invasives, they’ll have a new appreciation for trappers.

Feral hog are nothing to take lightly. I spoke with someone that was hired to remove hogs from a hospital campus. They were so bad they were triggering the ER doors as they rooted the landscaping. Can you imagine someone having a life critical surgery and some nasty hog was running around in the ER? It’s time for the antis to snap back to reality
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 02:15 AM

shame they outlawed trapping I guess

well I guess they can co-exist with them
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 02:21 AM

Are those the no fart hog?
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 02:29 AM

I thought they had sent them all to Washington already!
Posted By: Drifter

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 02:40 AM

Let the hogs eat a few then see if they still believe in Disney Movies.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Are those the no fart hog?

Lol.... grin
Posted By: Leary Sink

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 02:45 AM

Poor hogs, what’d they do to deserve that?

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 02:47 AM

they apparently wanted 25 dollars a tag for hunting A feral hog and weren't selling hardly any.

they made it no bag limit hoping to get rid of some

Spitting in the wind !
Posted By: MattLA

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 03:01 AM

Here we have to use a octagon pen to trap them with, but we do a pretty good job at management for the hogs in LA. We also have a different subspecies that has been here since before the 1900s, still bad, but nowhere near as big or prolific as the ones in Texas.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 03:16 AM

Man they’re lucky! Wish they’d make their way here already!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by coyote 1
Cali is loaded with them. The top feral hog is speaker of the house.

Yes

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
Man they’re lucky! Wish they’d make their way here already!

your farmers don't

it would be cheaper for each farm to raise 2 hogs per hundred acres and when they hit 250# have a lottery for people to win them. then at least they would have a controlled cost.

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 03:31 AM

Just incase you guys have never seen hog damage, here is a small sample of what I would consider "overnight damage" by a pack of maybe 10 hogs. Each of those "rootings" are anywhere from 2ft-3ft deep for what it's worth. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 03:57 AM

Good place for them.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 04:07 AM

Aren't the cats doing a good enough of control? Or are pigs ganging up on the poor kitties?
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 04:15 AM

You know Cali fish and game confuse the crap outta me. Remember watching that show they had a while back following California fish and game and in one episode they where talking about how much damage feral hogs could do yadda yadda yadda then their doing a raid on this guy's house who was an "infamous deal hog poacher" and they where talking about how he's talking the natural resources from California and I'm just here like crazy

Then there was an audiobook I was listening too that was written buy a Cali fish and game guy and he was talking about a case he was working on where guys where poaching wild hogs in a game preserve. Sad they where tearing the place up and some of the management folks even said thay wouldn't mind having a cull of the dang things to reduce damage but these guys are some of the wise criminals for goin in and Killin some big boars with dogs crazy
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Leary Sink
Poor hogs, what’d they do to deserve that?

Had me chuckling on this one
Posted By: 3togo

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 02:47 PM

Back in early 2000's we had to pay $49 for a 5 day license in Texas. Two week stay cost us $99.

I think a few years back the did away with the need for a license. Probably a little too late.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 03:17 PM

If they trap them, they will have to put them in a pen and feed them for life just like the wild horses, right? Why should wild pigs take a back seat to wolves? I believe they should set up a wild pig advisory committee to (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) population goals, do a study on their diets, and they could use Wisconsins wolf population monitoring estimates and they would find out that there really isnt that many there.
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 03:45 PM

Yup piggies are God's creatures too. Leave them alone. They aren't hurting anyone. Maybe shake a can of pennies at them like they do with coyotes or protect them like the wolf. Funny how when it's the golf course getting ruined it's ok to murder living things.

Ok sorry I couldn't help myself, I don't have any respect for a state that ends trapping and outlaws (illegally) most firearms.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 04:11 PM

maybe we could export them a few wolves, bears, and cougars to help them out with the pigs. That would be the only benefit this state would ever see from having cali as a neighbor.
Posted By: Hoosier71

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tofan
Just incase you guys have never seen hog damage, here is a small sample of what I would consider "overnight damage" by a pack of maybe 10 hogs. Each of those "rootings" are anywhere from 2ft-3ft deep for what it's worth. [Linked Image]

Never seen anything like that. that's terrible.

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 04:22 PM

Cost a friend of mine an estimated $40,000 rice loss in back to back seasons. Their damage is unbelievable in certain situations, and worst of all, the population ticker keeps clicking as time goes on
Posted By: Davisfur

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 04:27 PM

I'm trapping them off a place right now that has a Wheatfield that looks very similar to this picture. They are also tearing down and eating a rould bale of wheat hay a night. That gets very costly in a week's time.
Posted By: Davisfur

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 04:33 PM

[Linked Image]
This was the first night they went after the hay.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 04:42 PM

They know CA. is a safe place to live!
Posted By: YaYa

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Getting There
They know CA. is a safe place to live!

Heck yes. If I were a critter of fur or food value that's where I'd live. Homeless human....not so much.
Posted By: dakidsmn

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 06:11 PM

We need to start a group "save the pigs" and block all legislation with injunctions and lawsuits. Let's see how they like groups from different states weighting in on how they manage this issue. We could make videos showing how a pig can be lovable and cuddly like pumba in Disney movies.

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by dakidsmn
We need to start a group "save the pigs" and block all legislation with injunctions and lawsuits. Let's see how they like groups from different states weighting in on how they manage this issue. We could make videos showing how a pig can be lovable and cuddly like pumba in Disney movies.

Now that’s an interesting approach !
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 07:57 PM

From what I read , the vineyards are in trouble also .
Nancy is really worried about that !
Posted By: dakidsmn

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 09:02 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 09:15 PM

We see this same thing on a wildlife preserve daily. They don't care.

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Diggerman
If they trap them, they will have to put them in a pen and feed them for life just like the wild horses, right? Why should wild pigs take a back seat to wolves? I believe they should set up a wild pig advisory committee to (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) population goals, do a study on their diets, and they could use Wisconsins wolf population monitoring estimates and they would find out that there really isnt that many there.

I know you are being facetious, but atleast here in LA the wildlife biologists have made it a point to study almost all of the ones that the government traps. They test for several diseases and monitor a bunch of other things. Coyotes definitely eat the hogs, I am quite positive that wolves would do a number on them and help make more of a dent.
Posted By: danvee

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 10:13 PM

I swear if I lived in a cage state I would trap like crazy and turn everything I caught loose in the city. You know eco terrorism just like earth first and earth justice.
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: California invaded with feral hogs - 02/03/22 10:21 PM

Not good. Imagine a bunch of hogs finding a field of lettuce or celery!! mad Another cost that will get put back on us...
© 2024 Trapperman Forums