Home

Back in My Day - Maine School Bus

Posted By: Pike River

Back in My Day - Maine School Bus - 02/08/22 09:06 AM

School bus in northern Maine, 1930
Prior to 1931, before Route 1 between Houlton and Presque Isle was plowed during the winters, children would hop on horse-drawn “school buses,” which included benches and a wood stove. Main Street in Presque Isle during those days was “rolled” instead of plowed, making these “buses” the ultimate ways for children to arrive at school on time. This photo was taken in Presque Isle, Maine. Circa 1930

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mole

Re: Back in My Day - Maine School Bus - 02/08/22 09:15 AM

Thats Great.
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Back in My Day - Maine School Bus - 02/08/22 10:38 AM

Very cool bit of history. Never heard of rolled roads but I guess it'd be better for sleigh pulling.

It's wild to realize a man in his 80s has seen 1/3 of U.S. history himself.

And all of U.S. history isn't even half of post colonization American history.
Posted By: Bryan Daigle

Re: Back in My Day - Maine School Bus - 02/08/22 11:35 AM

That is a stretch of road to be rolling snow for a length of a Winter. I am sixty miles North West of Presque Isle.
Posted By: slowpoke

Re: Back in My Day - Maine School Bus - 02/08/22 11:41 AM

What a great picture , thanks for sharing...
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Back in My Day - Maine School Bus - 02/08/22 11:43 AM

Lucky kids to have a horse drawn bus, my older brother and sister had to walk to a one room school house which was about 2 miles away, lucky me, I got to ride a bus by the time I started school. The heater in that bus didn't do much good unless you were in the first couple rows of seats, we didn't complain, at least we didn't have to walk to school.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Back in My Day - Maine School Bus - 02/08/22 12:06 PM

Nice picture
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Back in My Day - Maine School Bus - 02/08/22 12:13 PM

I would have never guessed that was a school bus. Thanks
Posted By: Mac

Re: Back in My Day - Maine School Bus - 02/08/22 12:19 PM

Thank for sharing. When I was kid this JJ Newberry stores could be found throughout Maine.
I remember the one in a near by town. It had a little bit of everything, kind like a Walmart. It also had a lunch counter.

Mac
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Back in My Day - Maine School Bus - 02/08/22 12:54 PM

Good eye Mac, I didn't notice the J J Newberry store in the picture before you mentioned it. We had them in Pennsylvania too, there was one in a small town about 12 miles from where I grew up. As I recall it also had a lunch counter and that was the store where many Christmas presents were purchased.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Back in My Day - Maine School Bus - 02/08/22 12:58 PM

Great Photo- they probably got to school that day and learned- Cursive & Respect.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Back in My Day - Maine School Bus - 02/08/22 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Eagleye
Great Photo- they probably got to school that day and learned- Cursive & Respect.

I agree 100%.

Across from our place is an original one-room schoolhouse. It is in excellent condition. People in this rural area maintain it and it is used for family reunions and similar activities.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Back in My Day - Maine School Bus - 02/08/22 01:32 PM

That would make a fine ice fishing shack.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Back in My Day - Maine School Bus - 02/08/22 01:35 PM

Love the pic. A bus driver's job was tough in those days!
Posted By: old243

Re: Back in My Day - Maine School Bus - 02/08/22 02:26 PM

I went to a 1 room school. There was a small horse stable , in the corner of the schoolyard . Several families brought a horse and cutter in the winter and a buggy in the summer. The kids were also responsible , to feed and clean up , the stable. How times have changed. That was early 1950's. old243.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Back in My Day - Maine School Bus - 02/08/22 02:32 PM

According to my Mother who grew up in Fifeild WI. she had to walk to school in Park Falls WI, which I think is about 4 miles.
And according to her it was uphill both ways and she had wolves chasing her and her brothers the whole way. grin
Posted By: run

Re: Back in My Day - Maine School Bus - 02/08/22 02:35 PM

Nice bus , it's not powered by fossil fuel. LOL.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums