Home

Carhartt alternative

Posted By: marsupial magnet

Carhartt alternative - 02/12/22 05:58 PM

I am trying to replace my wore out carhartt coat. Any suggestions on a warm durable coat that isn't a carhartt brand would be appreciated.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/12/22 06:02 PM

If you can find them...Old Mill brand is a carhart copy...a bit softer cloth but zippers and stitching have lasted for going on 5 years now. Got mine at Menards.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/12/22 06:06 PM

https://www.round-house.com/collections/american-made-jackets-made-in-usa-since-1903

I posted the link but they're all out of stock right now... Maybe a surge in sales after the Carhartt garbage.

Mike
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/12/22 06:11 PM

I don't wear Carhartt much, some summer shirts, a watchman's cap and some suspenders. Other than being over-priced, what's up with them? Has quality taken a hit?
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/12/22 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
I don't wear Carhartt much, some summer shirts, a watchman's cap and some suspenders. Other than being over-priced, what's up with them? Has quality taken a hit?

Forced vaccination of employees.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/12/22 06:23 PM

Soring Eagle in Minot ND make Carhartt type outer wear. I bought a coat from them and had some bird hunting vests made the way I wanted. The coat was 50% of what a Carhart costs and it looks 100% identical. Soaring Eagle Outerwear (701) 838-2110 They will add pockets, change the shape of pockets, measure you to make your coat.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/12/22 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1

Got it, thanks.
Posted By: bowhunter27295

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/12/22 06:50 PM

Careful, it appears some on here will think you are a BLM protestor if you hurt their business.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/12/22 08:34 PM

Wall's "Zero Zone".
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/12/22 09:03 PM

Wells or Menards brand
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/12/22 09:08 PM

Walls if you just want a canvas type coat. I wore one of the lined oil skin jackets for years cowboying shed most rain storms and stopped the wind. It would get wear spots from different things but got 3 or 4 years out of each one while outside in the saddle every day.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/12/22 09:24 PM

Walls
Posted By: Ross

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/12/22 10:09 PM

Berne Apparel

https://bernedirect.com/?gclid=Cj0K...IJCnjpXIt8aAoQtEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Posted By: DWC

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/12/22 10:17 PM

Make sure to boycott your local hospital!!😀
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/12/22 10:20 PM

I'm sticking with Carhartt. I like their clothes and have quite a few. I still wear a pair of insulated overalls that are almost 30 years old.

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/12/22 10:23 PM

I've had better luck with Key coats and overalls. They have held up better for me than any Carhartt stuff I've had.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/12/22 10:27 PM

I've had better luck with Key coats and overalls. They have held up better for me than any Carhartt stuff I've had.

I where Key doublekneed pants for the same reason, and they cost less. I had a Key coat years ago, faded much faster than a Carhartt but seemed to last just as long.
Posted By: keets

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/12/22 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by DWC

some people have, and sought alternative clinics
Posted By: ozark trapper ia

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/12/22 11:09 PM

The Berne brand coat fits me better in the shoulders than carhartt does. It cost me 52$ 4 years ago and has held up very well. That being said I still have 3 carhartt coats and 2 rain defender zip up hoodies. Would not be afraid to buy all bernie coats and bibs in the future. I even tried Walls brand once but the plastic zipper was broke in 2 weeks.
Posted By: Howell Bros

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/12/22 11:51 PM

X3 on Berne
Posted By: waggler

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 12:18 AM

Carhartt pants only last me about 6 months before I wear holes in them.
Levi real denim jeans (501) jeans used to last me years. I'm positive carhartts are an example of planned obsolescence.
I'm looking for something else also.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 01:01 AM

Never thought Carharts were very tough or warm. I always wore them through in little time and most anything else was warmer. I never got the warm fuzzies some seem to get.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 01:10 AM

My Lakin & McKey (Key) coat that I've had for a bunch of years has been the best I've ever bought!
Posted By: run

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 01:14 AM

Thank you for the heads up.

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by DWC

I will try my best to do exactly that.

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 01:16 AM

I like Dickies coveralls. No clue what Dickies is doing to their employees.

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 01:16 AM

Their t shirts and jeans last and most importantly, dont fit like little girl pants like so many do anymore. Ive had a heavyweight zip up hoodie for about 22 years and other than stains from stupid things ive done, its perfect. I dont have any heavyweight stuff, but i will second the Old Mill cheapo coat-mine was 20 bucks and insanely warm. I have three older Walls coats and the zippers are absolute pieces of crap. Zippers seem to be the cheapeast thing on any coat.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 02:06 AM

Schaefer and Powder River had great outer wear
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 02:17 AM

Key's,. Dickie's both are good work clothing.

Check good will also, I shop there for all my work clothes and work coat's.

Our local 2nd hand store the other day had all clothes a buck each the other day
and I got almost new Wrangler jeans.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 03:03 AM

Those running Berne which winter wear you recommend for bibs, insulated? Cutting firewood, skidsteer, dropping trees.
Posted By: bowhunterks

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 03:22 AM

X4 on berne
Posted By: bowhunterks

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 03:32 AM

I have insulated berne bibs they've held up good the elastic on the shoulder straps is getting stretched out but I think over time they all do that. I dont like to wear insulated bibs if I can keep from it there heavy.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 03:43 AM

Been wearing Carhartts for around 40 years. They lasted me better then the other brands hands down. Now they are changing them to suit the new brood that are wearing them as a status symbol. First to go was the button fly. now they made the bib taller and hits against my neck and the pockets are made more shallow. Took off a pliers pocket and doing an elastic waist. Then toss on top of that mandating the vaccine. Don't seem to need my business.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 05:33 AM

Carhartt is now a status symbol, no longer working man's clothes. Price ... UP, UP and away; quality ... down, down, down! I have a couple of Carhartts which should last me my lifetime, if not, I'll buy Berne, good for the money.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by run
Originally Posted by DWC

I will try my best to do exactly that.

X2
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bear Tracker
Those running Berne which winter wear you recommend for bibs, insulated? Cutting firewood, skidsteer, dropping trees.

I ordered a pair of Bernie bibs about five years ago. I expected just working bibs,like shop coveralls they were only $60. What I received were heavy duty insulated coveralls warmer than the average red/black lined Carhart's. I use them at -20. Too warm to wear in the shop, I never been cold in them yet.

Made in Bangladesh.

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 11:28 AM

I honestly don't understand how Carhartt could be considered a yuppie brand. They don't last long enough to be considered a yuppie brand in my mind. You are more likely to be considered a homeless person minus the grungy back pack once your Carhartt coat is a month or two old. Just my experience.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by run
I honestly don't understand how Carhartt could be considered a yuppie brand. They don't last long enough to be considered a yuppie brand in my mind. You are more likely to be considered a homeless person minus the grungy back pack once your Carhartt coat is a month or two old. Just my experience.

I'm trying to picture how a yuppie would wear out anything.

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 12:35 PM

LOL, I guess I don't know any yuppies to be honest. Most people I know wear their clothes out, but what do I know?
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 01:00 PM

I have enough Carhartt clothes to ride out the rest of my time on this earth.
I guess if someone gets butt hurt over my wardrobe I will have to deal with it then.
My Carhartt extremes are knocking on 25 years old and are just getting broke in.

WS
Posted By: PopPop

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 01:05 PM

Unfortunately, most Carhartt products are made in Mexico and Vietnam, but the American-based brand does utilize some of its workers in the United States. Whether this will continue in the future remains to be seen as they have continued to downsize their manufacturing in the United States over time.
Posted By: PopPop

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 01:07 PM

Where Are Carhartt Factories?
Covering all of Carhartt’s partners and factories, we will have a look at how they spread the manufacturing with this company to better understand it:

Origin # Factories % of MFG.
USA 10 11%
China 1 1%
Mexico 18 21%
Vietnam 14 16%
Cambodia 4 4%
India 10 11%
Bangladesh 4 4%
Guatemala 8 9%
Honduras 1 1%
Indonesia 2 2%
Jordan 1 1%
Nicaragua 4 4%
Colombia 1 1%
Pakistan 2 2%
Italy 1 1%
Canada 1 1%
Taiwan 1 1%
Dominican Republic 1 1%
Mexico makes up the largest manufacturing number for Carhartt at 21 percent with Vietnam in second place at 16 percent. Behind them are India and the United States tied for third. We were pleasantly surprised to at least find the United States in third place. Unfortunately, the information doesn’t show the exact manufacturing levels. Nevertheless, it does give you an idea of where they operate around the world.

In total, Carhartt has 84 manufacturing partners that it works with. Keep in mind, only a small portion of them are factories that they directly own. This makes it difficult to say exactly how much business goes through each of the third-party factories.

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 01:11 PM

Sad to see another traditional American product...moved out of the country.

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by PopPop
Unfortunately, most Carhartt products are made in Mexico and Vietnam, but the American-based brand does utilize some of its workers in the United States. Whether this will continue in the future remains to be seen as they have continued to downsize their manufacturing in the United States over time.

I'm actually cool with the jobs being in Mexico. Mexicans need jobs too.
Posted By: Seldom

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 01:38 PM

I haven’t noticed anyone mentioning Duluth Trading’s Fire Hose clothing. I’ve had many years experience wearing Carhart bibs as a welder in Dow but after I retired I stumbled upon Duluth’s Fire Hose clothing. I wear their shop coat and apron while in the shop working and if the weather is on the warm side, I wear the Fire Hose pants trapping and have done so for 22 years using the same pants!

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 02:23 PM

Seldom, my kids bought a pair of Duluth underwear for Christmas...shall we say they are very well designed. We have a store in the area and I checked them out...their stuff ain’t cheap but the quality is obvious. I can these Duluth products lasting a long time.
Posted By: Cameron Kelsey

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/13/22 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by DWC
Their t shirts and jeans last and most importantly, dont fit like little girl pants like so many do anymore. Ive had a heavyweight zip up hoodie for about 22 years and other than stains from stupid things ive done, its perfect. I dont have any heavyweight stuff, but i will second the Old Mill cheapo coat-mine was 20 bucks and insanely warm. I have three older Walls coats and the zippers are absolute pieces of crap. Zippers seem to be the cheapeast thing on any coat.

X2. The pocket t-shirts are very well built and fit well. They just plain last. Compare a Dickie's brand pocket t-shirt to a Carhartt one and you will see a big difference in quality. Their jeans hold up as well.
Posted By: bowhunter27295

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/15/22 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Blaine County
I'm sticking with Carhartt. I like their clothes and have quite a few. I still wear a pair of insulated overalls that are almost 30 years old.

Isn't it great to have that choice?
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/15/22 09:16 PM

Rural king has lined chore coats for 33 bucks......bought son and I each to replace our wahls. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Carhartt alternative - 02/16/22 01:04 AM

for hooded sweat shirts I see the Carhart ones are on sale for 50 dollars

I have been wearing Russell sweat shirts for several years they seem to wear well

just bought some more the navy blue seems to be made in Honduras and the black made in El Salvador , not USA but not the PRC
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Carhartt alternative - 09/24/23 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Howell Bros
X3 on Berne

I made the switch to Berne also a few years back- I like their bibs better... they've been around since 1915- great stuff
Posted By: Guss

Re: Carhartt alternative - 09/24/23 12:35 PM

Dickys ate ok
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Carhartt alternative - 09/24/23 12:39 PM

X2 but you can check out Duluth they have good stuff
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Carhartt alternative - 09/24/23 02:08 PM

No time to answer right now.

I need to throw on my Carharts to get to Target to buy my Bud Light.
Posted By: Mont

Re: Carhartt alternative - 09/24/23 02:12 PM

tough duck
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Carhartt alternative - 09/24/23 03:02 PM

Everyone is all American until it comes time to shop. Then it’s the cheapest we can buy because made in America is too expensive.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Carhartt alternative - 09/24/23 03:05 PM

I quit buying their stuff back when they stopped making camo, what....20-25 years ago?

I figured they went woke back then to stop making camo, a big seller around these hills anyhow.

Re: Carhartt alternative - 09/24/23 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Everyone is all American until it comes time to shop. Then it’s the cheapest we can buy because made in America is too expensive.

Also can't keep track of who I'm supposed to be mad at. whistle
Posted By: YoteChaser1968

Re: Carhartt alternative - 09/24/23 03:21 PM

Seriously guys -- With a spokesman like this, why wouldn't you buy Carhartt?

Treat this brand like you treat Bud Light and the WOKE Ideology. AVOID IT AND SEND A MESSAGE!!!! Vote with your wallet.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: LR5Ranger

Re: Carhartt alternative - 09/24/23 03:45 PM

I haven’t bought Carhartt since they mandated the jab for their employees.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Carhartt alternative - 09/24/23 06:45 PM

Walls Zero Zone is a fantastic chore coat.
Posted By: shanemoss

Re: Carhartt alternative - 09/24/23 07:51 PM

Didn't read this entire thread so it may have been suggested. I've been wearing Polar King for 6 or 7 years here in WI. Basicly a carhart but a bit heavier and warmer.
Posted By: Scott T

Re: Carhartt alternative - 09/24/23 10:06 PM

I still wear my Carhartt while driving my Harley. I guess I could wear Bernie on an Indian

Re: Carhartt alternative - 09/25/23 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by hippie
I quit buying their stuff back when they stopped making camo, what....20-25 years ago?

I figured they went woke back then to stop making camo, a big seller around these hills anyhow.

Someone should tell FNT, because they still have some carhartt camo in stock. Not as much as a couple years ago,
Pretty sure most, if not all, of the brands mentioned are made overseas somewhere. Even Duluth Trading. I have one of their firehose jackets-good stuff. Tag says made in CHINA. As soon as all these other foreign made clothes start outlasting the foreign made carhartt 2nds I buy online for half price, ill jump on the bandwagon too. Make sure you dont buy any federal park passes or federal duck stamps—i heard that the government did forced vaccinations too!

Re: Carhartt alternative - 10/23/23 03:42 AM

Another reason I won't
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Carhartt alternative - 10/23/23 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by LR5Ranger
I haven’t bought Carhartt since they mandated the jab for their employees.

Same and I also called them and let them know I was disappointed and would no longer buy their products for myself or large family.

They used to be mad better anyway. I had a coat I wore for years. Got it in high-school wore it doing line clea tree work, through my iron working career and tossed it after my first year at my current plant. The sleeves were shorter unraveling it had several holes sewn up but it lasted years hard use. The replacement didn't last under mild use. Probably hard to find one made in the US now also so no longer a reasion to buy them on that front either.

Re: Carhartt alternative - 10/23/23 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Scott T
I still wear my Carhartt while driving my Harley. I guess I could wear Bernie on an Indian

Nobody drives a Harley , nobody
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Carhartt alternative - 10/23/23 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by AntiGov
Originally Posted by Scott T

Nobody drives a Harley , nobody

And you should wear leather, not Carhartt!
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Carhartt alternative - 10/23/23 09:01 PM

Wear my leather when gets below 30 up until then I wear Carhart's. I don't like the changes they have made but after my last stroll through the black berry briars I remember right well why Dickeys and fire hose were a 1 time buy.
Posted By: Guss

Re: Carhartt alternative - 10/23/23 09:45 PM

No carherts for me! Dickies
© 2024 Trapperman Forums