Home

We saw a wolf this morning.

Posted By: Gary Benson

We saw a wolf this morning. - 02/12/22 06:14 PM

Along the Spokane River in Spokane. Crossed the road in front of us and stopped long enough to get a good look but moved on before we could get a pic. I tried hard to make it look like a coyote but it was a wolf. Very heavy fur, big body and big head. I've seen lots of Coyotes and it wasn't a coyote!
Posted By: Sharon

Re: We saw a wolf this morning. - 02/12/22 06:20 PM

That's interesting, Gary , I wouldn't think there would be any with the population there. However there are stretches of river that are wooded enough.

Re: We saw a wolf this morning. - 02/12/22 06:27 PM

Very wooded area with ponderosa pines.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: We saw a wolf this morning. - 02/12/22 06:35 PM

Ok that's what I figured.

I'm thinking the neighboring ranches in that area wouldn't be too happy to know that ....
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: We saw a wolf this morning. - 02/12/22 06:45 PM

They need to be trapped.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: We saw a wolf this morning. - 02/12/22 10:19 PM

We saw one a month ago, lone wolf loping through a field
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: We saw a wolf this morning. - 02/12/22 11:06 PM

I see to many wolfs every year, there is way more than there should be here
Posted By: walleye101

Re: We saw a wolf this morning. - 02/13/22 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Along the Spokane River in Spokane. Crossed the road in front of us and stopped long enough to get a good look but moved on before we could get a pic. I tried hard to make it look like a coyote but it was a wolf. Very heavy fur, big body and big head. I've seen lots of Coyotes and it wasn't a coyote!

Did it make you feel all warm and fuzzy laying eyes on such a magnificent creature?

Re: We saw a wolf this morning. - 02/13/22 12:29 AM

It was interesting to me as Im from Nebraska....and this was basically inside city limits. Very unusual to me!
Posted By: Osky

Re: We saw a wolf this morning. - 02/13/22 01:26 AM

Land carp.

Osky
Posted By: walleye101

Re: We saw a wolf this morning. - 02/13/22 02:45 AM

It was interesting to me as Im from Nebraska....and this was basically inside city limits. Very unusual to me!

Sorry for the smart a$$ comment. They are kinda cool to see when they're not clogging up your coyote sets!
Posted By: decoy

Re: We saw a wolf this morning. - 02/13/22 03:14 AM

How close to the state line.? Had coyotes howling and barking from about 4:30 am till just after daylight.

Re: We saw a wolf this morning. - 02/13/22 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by walleye101

Sorry for the smart a$$ comment. They are kinda cool to see when they're not clogging up your coyote sets!

I'm sure they would be a pain.

Re: We saw a wolf this morning. - 02/13/22 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by decoy
How close to the state line.? Had coyotes howling and barking from about 4:30 am till just after daylight.

Bout 20 miles
Posted By: decoy

Re: We saw a wolf this morning. - 02/13/22 04:03 AM

That's gett'n close to down town Spoocan. I'm about 5 miles east of the stateline.
Posted By: Roy Greenfield

Re: We saw a wolf this morning. - 02/13/22 02:45 PM

Gary,
I addition to the wolf caught it Dawson County, I know of two that were seen north of St Paul NE.
Roy

Re: We saw a wolf this morning. - 02/13/22 03:05 PM

I spose its just a matter of time....same as the elk!
Posted By: nightlife

Re: We saw a wolf this morning. - 02/13/22 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
We saw one a month ago, lone wolf loping through a field

Originally Posted by walleye101

Several years ago I remember talking to the Minnesota state biologist and him telling me about a wolf they collared and tracked from the Fort Rippley pack, and how in the course of it’s travel it headed south down through Iowa and Missouri then through part of Kansas into Nebraska then west to Wyoming north into Montana then back east to its old home range at Fort Rippley all in the course of a little over a year, and how it apparently passes through several large urban areas

Unlike a lot of people I don’t mind wolves being around I just wish we could trap or hunt them and take them out when they become a danger to us or our animals without having to fight through piles of red tape or break the law
Posted By: Wife

Re: We saw a wolf this morning. - 02/13/22 10:54 PM

Gary and Roy, There was a wolf killed at night with a hunter using a thermal scope (not night vison) by North Bend, NE about 1 month ago. The picture (like most) shows a normal 30-35 lb coyote hanging next to to the 100 + lb wolf. DNA check showed it was from MN origin so their wandering ways are still in good shape inherited from the ancestors. Unfortunately combined corn and soybean fields don't provide quite as much cover as the prairie grass did for those ancestors and "there's no place like home" for most. .............. the mike
Posted By: waggler

Re: We saw a wolf this morning. - 02/13/22 11:16 PM

^^^
I think a lot of people overlook the fact that wolves are animals quite accustomed to wide open spaces. Perhaps even preferring them.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums