Home

How many beaver to expect

Posted By: clintp1971

How many beaver to expect - 02/14/22 02:28 AM

Got a landowner with two ponds about four acres each. Connected by a three foot deep ditch. I have caught two 20 something pound males, one 51 pound male , and a 62 pound female in the last three nights. Just wondering how many do you guys expect from a spot like this? Iím sure there are all kinds of variables but what has been your experience?
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: How many beaver to expect - 02/14/22 03:00 AM

2 year olds?
Posted By: Computer Hater

Re: How many beaver to expect - 02/14/22 03:23 AM

Clint,

That is really hard to say without seeing how much sign there is in and around the ponds. Leave your traps set for a while. If you don't have any body grippers set in that ditch, make sure and set 2 or 3 280's or 330's. Not only will they take any traveling beaver but that ditch should be a great place to catch some otters.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: How many beaver to expect - 02/14/22 03:30 AM

Way too many variables to know.
35 yrs chasing Beaver I've seen 1, 2 up to 26

Re: How many beaver to expect - 02/14/22 04:02 AM

Thanks guys I have 330s in the channel and a couple in den holes. Also castor mound and a feed pile set. There is quite a bit of sign, peeled stick , and such. But the beaver havenít been trapped in ten years. So did a few beaver leave a lot of sign over time?Or are there more than I think? Iím gonna leave the traps out a few more days and I will post the results!
Posted By: Boco

Re: How many beaver to expect - 02/14/22 04:20 AM

Re: How many beaver to expect - 02/14/22 07:39 AM

Hahaha a firm seeeeeeex

Re: How many beaver to expect - 02/14/22 11:25 PM

[Linked Image]
Well , I picked up an otter and a muskrat today but no more beaver. Iíll leave a couple more days and see.
Posted By: Computer Hater

Re: How many beaver to expect - 02/15/22 12:02 AM

Congratulations!!! Very nice otter.

Re: How many beaver to expect - 02/15/22 12:49 AM

Nice Otter
Posted By: Goonie

Re: How many beaver to expect - 02/15/22 01:35 AM

Nice otter
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: How many beaver to expect - 02/15/22 01:39 AM

Congrats on the otter.Nice one.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: How many beaver to expect - 02/15/22 03:37 AM

If there are any left, it would be 2 year olds. They may have been pushed out of the colony already.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: How many beaver to expect - 02/15/22 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by 52Carl
If there are any left, it would be 2 year olds. They may have been pushed out of the colony already.

Thatís a good point. If they are male they would be sent packing.

Re: How many beaver to expect - 02/16/22 12:19 AM

No beaver today, Iím guessing thatís all of em.
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: How many beaver to expect - 02/16/22 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by clintp1971

Could be, but I say you wonít know until you ďknowĒ, and itís too early to know for sure in my opinion.

If you think youíre done, pull your traps, but donít call it clear until youíve given it a little time and then done a final inspection if getting them all is your goal. Any given location has an unknown number beavers in my experience between natural predators, dispersal, and other trappers (known or unknown). ďNo one else has tried trapping themĒ pretty much doesnít get accepted by my ears anymore
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: How many beaver to expect - 02/16/22 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Aix sponsa
Originally Posted by clintp1971

Could be, but I say you wonít know until you ďknowĒ, and itís too early to know for sure in my opinion.

If you think youíre done, pull your traps, but donít call it clear until youíve given it a little time and then done a final inspection if getting them all is your goal. Any given location has an unknown number beavers in my experience between natural predators, dispersal, and other trappers (known or unknown). ďNo one else has tried trapping themĒ pretty much doesnít get accepted by my ears anymore

Ah, you been followin a guy like me. Lol, sorry still tryin to refine my craft!

Re: How many beaver to expect - 02/16/22 12:58 AM

Yukon John, itís not that. Itís just that you just canít know until you know. In the remote wilderness, sure, one could presume beavers havenít been trapped by others. Here, who knows. Beaver get killed on the road, beavers get shot by people, beavers get trapped by neighbors tired of having beaver damage, you just never know. ďPairsĒ can actually be singles, pair locations can actually be 3 catches if a dispersal was passing through, and then there are times where little sign is left, especially during hot weather or drought.

Beaver control isnít really that different from other professions in that thereís what usually happens and then thereís what could possibly happen, and when dealing with decisions made by free animals, the answers arenít always clear at first in my experience
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: How many beaver to expect - 02/16/22 01:08 AM

Oh I know Aix, was just just bustin your tail a little...I was joking, no offense taken or intended.

Re: How many beaver to expect - 02/16/22 01:22 AM

Aix, how do you tell if theyíre gone? Besides a break in the dam, what do you look for?

Re: How many beaver to expect - 02/16/22 02:05 AM

In ponds, it can be tough. You can monitor crossovers, look for freshly chewed trees, chewed sticks around the edges, tracks, and any other ways you can think of. If you find tracks, wipe then clean so you can tell if theyíre new. Thereís a pond Iím currently dealing with that I reluctantly setup after finding numerous Coon traps set around it. I caught an adult female on the first night. The farmers Coon traps caught the male the next night but it escaped. He also lost several insufficiently staked footholds, in addition to another neighbor shooting nutes with thermals plus shooting nuisance blackbirds roosting in this pond. Did a beaver leave with those traps? Was it something else?

The dam hasnít been repaired in weeks. I feel as though the male has died or moved on, but without an animal, sometimes questions canít be answered. Iíd rather be sure than wrong, but, at times, itís not a clear line. Iím currently catching nuisance animals for said farmer, so Iím able to monitor the situation painlessly, but Iím telling you now that beaver, if heís still alive isnít a current issue.

Itís also a good example of how things can go sideways in a hurry with beaver control.

Re: How many beaver to expect - 02/19/22 04:23 AM

Thank Aix, I tore a small hole in the dam and I will check it in a week or two.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: How many beaver to expect - 02/19/22 11:48 AM

dam break is best way , no trap just let water go down ,
Posted By: AJE

Re: How many beaver to expect - 02/20/22 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Way too many variables to know.
35 yrs chasing Beaver I've seen 1, 2 up to 26

True, lotta variables.

26, wow. The most I've got at 1 spot is 12. Other times 2 solves the problem. It keeps things interesting.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: How many beaver to expect - 02/20/22 03:17 PM

I have been surprised before on the population of beaver in a pond/stream. Trapped a gravel pit ditch for the pit pump runoff 2 years ago. 10 feet wide, 60 yards long. Snared an adult day 1 and I thought it would be a pair. WRONG!! I caught 12 beaver and 1 day I found a dead one floating.
Other places have had multiple huge dams and yielded a pair.
© 2022 Trapperman Forums