Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: What tree is this? - 02/15/22 09:31 PM

Thank you Sir.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: What tree is this? - 02/15/22 09:32 PM

Yep white birch tree
Posted By: warrior

Re: What tree is this? - 02/15/22 09:36 PM

Definitely a betula (birch) family member. We only have the river birch B. nigra down here but the similarity of light papery bark, multi angular trunks, limb and twig structure are all classic birch.

I lack the experience, though, to say which one specifically.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: What tree is this? - 02/15/22 09:43 PM

Fire starter tree
Posted By: Len Dunham

Re: What tree is this? - 02/15/22 09:52 PM

Birch i find a lot of mushrooms around and under them here in southeast kansas.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: What tree is this? - 02/15/22 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Len Dunham
Birch i find a lot of mushrooms around and under them here in southeast kansas.

Also the tree you find Chaga on
Posted By: 20scout

Re: What tree is this? - 02/15/22 11:03 PM

A wooden one.....
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: What tree is this? - 02/15/22 11:27 PM

White birch AKA paper birch.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: What tree is this? - 02/15/22 11:29 PM

I'm going to say ponderosa pine but you need to move around to the other side of the building and get a better picture for a more positive ID.

... unless you mean the one in the foreground, in which case it's a light post, not a tree.
Posted By: Sledgehammer

Re: What tree is this? - 02/15/22 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by 20scout
A wooden one.....

I 2nd that motion! grin
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
I'm going to say ponderosa pine but you need to move around to the other side of the building and get a better picture for a more positive ID.

... unless you mean the one in the foreground, in which case it's a light post, not a tree.

One in every bunch! grin grin
Posted By: decoy

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 05:27 AM

I put 5 clumps of those in front of my new home 28-29 years ago. Pretty tree. I think they might have been called clump birch cause they had 3 trunks about the size of a 50 cent coin and when I finally had to remove them they were about the size of a coffee can. They have small leaves that turn yellow and then when they would fall off in the fall of the year I was always hopeing the wind would be coming from NNE cause normal wind in our area of n. Idaho is from the SSW and the leaves would blow off and land in my swimming pool behind the house and make a mess. Anyway their life span is 20-25 years before problems I think. Had to remove mine finally.
Posted By: Tatiana

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 08:23 AM

Most of our region is pure birch forest as far as your eyes can see. There are many forms and varieties (species delimitation is sometimes problematic) - some, especially the more notherly forms, are small, relatively short-lived and more prone to fungal infections, but some are big, stately trees that stay pretty and healthy for many decades. Many alleys in my hometown are lined with birch. It is a pretty tree with a nice light, lacy shade, plus there are many good edible mycorrhizal mushrooms growing under it (various boletes and brittlegills) and also there's a possibility to collect sap in the spring. Here, people often plant it on their properties on bogged spots, especially near vegetable gardens, because it draws excessive moisture away during the summer months, like willows and alder, but does not create as much shade. Pollen can be a problem, though, if you're allergic to it.
Posted By: coyote 1

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 08:37 AM

That's a good size birch. I think they are really cool trees, they do seem to rot faster than most others. I had to cut one down on my property last fall that was too big at the base to make one pass with a 24" bar on the saw. It was dead most of the way up and ready to fall on my deer blind in the next good wind.
Posted By: Squash

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 11:57 AM

At first glance one might think it’s white/paper Birch, but , it’s a Grey Birch.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 12:05 PM

Betula
in the birch family
you have to look at the seed heads and wings as well as the leaf pattern for what species it is; there are several that look the same as paper birch

This is the year of the seed production so lots of the finch family species can be seen feeding in the trees.
Interesting that during/ after forest fires the birch really colonize after a spring/ summer on these years. Biggest food source of the ungulates in the boreal forest are birch forest

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Squash
At first glance one might think it’s white/paper Birch, but , it’s a Grey Birch.

You might be right, hard for me to tell without seeing the leaves.

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 12:13 PM

Looking closer, the bark does look more like gray birch than paper birch.
Posted By: Redknot

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 12:36 PM

I was leaning the same way Squash...I'm pretty sure that was where Warrior was going with not enough to go on..

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 12:48 PM

Little to none bark exfoliations, and black triangular patches below branch insertions, Grey Birch.

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 01:21 PM

Little to none bark exfoliations, and black triangular patches below branch insertions, Grey Birch.

Or as my Dendrology professor put it "Hairy Armpits!"
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 02:01 PM

definately not grey birch
Posted By: Kre

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 02:11 PM

It's a cactus
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 02:34 PM

Paper Birch would be in it's native range have that bark and common for multi trunk

or a Grey birch opposite side of the country form native range but it's a landscape tree so no telling it is also common in multi trunk

the leaf would be the deciding factor in a visual ID

paper more rounded and grey more triangulate and pointed
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 02:38 PM

They are everywhere up here…..I start my camp fires with birch bark….lights when wet
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
They are everywhere up here…..I start my camp fires with birch bark….lights when wet

Yep same here

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 04:19 PM

Just for the sake of discussion, more pics of other trees and leaves. [Linked Image]
[img]https://trapperman.com/forum/attachments/usergals/2022/02/full-553-128320-20220216_080412.jpg[/img [img]https://trapperman.com/forum/attachments/usergals/2022/02/full-553-128321-20220216_080420.jpg[/img]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 04:20 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 04:23 PM

looks like a common birch tree to me

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 04:24 PM

White or grey?

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 04:37 PM

The

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 04:39 PM

These trees are all planted in a row behind a motel.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 04:44 PM

I have two in my yard that I started as seedlings. The bark peels off and is great for starting fires. I'd have to say mine are paper birch trees.

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 04:52 PM

Well, those leaves do not look like they came from a grey birch...
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 05:11 PM

I think you have a mix there

the bark of your first post looks like a paper birch

the bark of your last picture in post Post7498297 looks like river birch the top leaf in that post looks like paper birch while the next leave down looks river birch

now can you take a picture of the 2 leaves with a size reference ?

paper birch leaves should be 2-5 inches long while river birch 1.5-3 inches long so even some overlap there

I guess this could be a a good example of how you control what is shown leads people in different directions until the whole picture is seen

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Redknot
Well, those leaves do not look like they came from a grey birch...

I agree, but it looks like photos of trees are from different trees ? Grey Birch leaves are triangular.

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 06:29 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
It does look like two different trees maybe. A couple have old leaves hanging on...the others are barren of leaves.
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 07:10 PM

Planted in a row...it's probably some kind of white birch cultivar from a nursery
Posted By: Northof50

Re: What tree is this? - 02/16/22 11:19 PM

I can see that someone cut deep into the tree with the dead leaves and removed a wrapping off, and probably cutoff the moisture going to those leaves.

Re: What tree is this? - 02/17/22 02:00 AM

Good eye!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums