Home

Castor Prices

Posted By: mike jerrell

Castor Prices - 02/16/22 03:22 PM

What’s Castor selling for? Anybody know?
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Castor Prices - 02/16/22 03:52 PM

The recent fur sales had averages around $60/lb. Some lure dealers are still paying $80/lb no grading.
Posted By: mike jerrell

Re: Castor Prices - 02/16/22 04:03 PM

Thanks, I got a few lbs. I need to sell.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Castor Prices - 02/16/22 05:11 PM

I need to go Get Some to make more lures.
Springs A comming
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Castor Prices - 02/16/22 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Springs A comming

I was just outside and you don't need to hurry.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Castor Prices - 02/16/22 06:02 PM

Kaatz Bros advertized $75-
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Castor Prices - 02/16/22 06:12 PM

I just looked at Kaatz $65 on castor as of today. and dropping.
Posted By: smellslikecastor

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 12:10 AM

I have got 14# of early 2000 vintage southern castor that i dried and put in ziplocks and forgot about somehow in the depths of the freezer. found while doing some serious digging. haha anyone interested pm me
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 12:12 AM

Check in with Paul...he was looking for Southern castor
Posted By: Boco

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 12:46 AM

So if you have two beavers,one south and one north,how close can they live to each other ,and if they interbreed across the line,do some kits have southern type castors and other kits have northern type castors,or do they all have half and half,or is there a zone where the castor is neither north or south?
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
So if you have two beavers,one south and one north,how close can they live to each other ,and if they interbreed across the line,do some kits have southern type castors and other kits have northern type castors,or do they all have half and half,or is there a zone where the castor is neither north or south?

Boco i think you just got ur feelers hurt because someone thinks your beaver are second class whistle
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 01:02 AM

Paul should be able to answer your question boco, half his are from Alabama and the other half from Wisconsin.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 01:06 AM

If you deal with Cottonmouths while trapping they are Southern, if not they are Northern.
Posted By: smellslikecastor

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 01:12 AM

i always figured it was the mason dixon line. but the cotton mouth theory sounds about right to me. south to me is anywhere warmer than home in january, like arkansass or north carolina.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 01:48 AM

LOL, if you have a northern and southern beaver in the south, where they're eating sweet gum, the castors from both of these and offspring will have southern castor. If the same thing happened in the north, where they were eating aspen, they would have northern castor. It's what they're eating that determines what the castor smells like. The beavers we have down here that originated in Wisconsin have castors that are southern in smell, because of what they're eating.

Pine and willow eaters have a bit of a different smelling castors too.
Posted By: wallfur

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 01:57 AM

i am looking for east / west /south / north castor and every thing in between lol pm what you have and for prices
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
If you deal with Cottonmouths and/or alligators while trapping they are Southern, if not they are Northern.

Good way to clear that up

wink
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 01:59 AM

I wonder what the cottonwood/poplar eaters register as Paul?

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
I wonder what the cottonwood/poplar eaters register as Paul?

I really don't know. There's not enough of those here to tell. The Aspen is what really puts what I call the northern odor in castor. The aspen is a poplar, so other poplars may induce the same odor into the castors, but I don't know.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 02:12 AM

Popple (aspen), Balm of Gilead (aspen species), and willow eaters here, lol, I dont separate the various flavors, though, lol.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 02:12 AM

Give me your address and i will send you a cottonwood feeder to try. Maybe you could call it Soyboy Backbreaker in honor of us left coasties. laugh
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 02:13 AM

Willow and cottonwood main diet in my neck of the woods. Where would those rate on the southern scale?

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 02:14 AM

What if a northern beaver "comes out" and Identifies as southern?

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 02:20 AM

What if a northern beaver "comes out" and Identifies as southern?

I'd call that "queer". smile

Originally Posted by J Staton
Willow and cottonwood main diet in my neck of the woods. Where would those rate on the southern scale?

I don't know. Cottonwood is in the poplar family, so it may induce a similar odor in the castor.

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by walleye101
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Springs A comming

I was just outside and you don't need to hurry.

Hahaha! True wink

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Aix sponsa
If you deal with Cottonmouths and/or alligators while trapping they are Southern, if not they are Northern.

wink

I always thought you looked at their teeth to tell grin crazy

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 02:47 AM

Hey Paul,when you buy a bunch of castor and are smelling each one to sort out the south from the north,does your nose get burned out after a few dozen or so?

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 02:51 AM

Hey Paul,when you buy a bunch of castor and are smelling each one to sort out the south from the north,does your nose get burned out after a few dozen or so?

I segregate according to location. South/North. If they're caught in the south, I don't need to smell them. This is the first year I've bought northern castor, and so far the castor I've gotten from NY and ME smell virtually the same. The diets in those two states must be the about the same.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Aix sponsa

wink
Lol. I used to think there couldn’t be a difference. Having trapped in the south and then the north, there’s a HUGE difference.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 03:24 AM

Dobbins going to have change the name of his company to The Crappy Castor Company.

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jtrapper
Dobbins going to have change the name of his company to The Crappy Castor Company.

Naw, I only deal in the finest quality castor. laugh

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 03:34 AM

Hey Paul,you should try to get some castor from Kosoi-That would likely have a different smell than either.
Might be a super deadly lure,

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 03:35 AM

I dont know, I always figured that southern castor to be the Soy Latte of castor, but...lol, correct me if I'm wrong

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by trapper les
I dont know, I always figured that southern castor to be the Soy Latte of castor, but...lol, correct me if I'm wrong

I don't know. Talk to Backbreaker, it's the standard. I don't think it's anywhere near soy. whistle

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 03:37 AM

Hey Paul,you should try to get some castor from Kosoi-That would likely have a different smell than either.
Might be a super deadly lure,

I wonder what the beaver's food supply is there. I'm thinking I saw aspen in some videos, so it may be the same as the northern tier of the US.

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 03:39 AM

Yea maybe so.

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 03:42 AM

Yea maybe so.

I'd sure like to get some to satisfy my curiosity.

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
Originally Posted by trapper les

I don't know. Talk to Backbreaker, it's the standard. I don't think it's anywhere near soy. whistle

I'm just joking around, I've never tried it, never looked at a storebought lure until years after I started trapping beaver using homemade lure as I was taught to do so.
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 03:52 AM

Id be willing to bet that a North American Beaver would swim across the Mississippi River for a castor mound with some Russian Beaver Castor on it.

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by John-Chagnon
Id be willing to bet that a North American Beaver would swim across the Mississippi River for a castor mound with some Russian Beaver Castor on it.

You might be right there. I sure would like some to play with.

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 04:00 AM

Well, the interesting thing there is Kosoi's beaver are a different species. Eurasian beaver (Castor fiber). But at $180 lb Paul might have to raise his prices a mite.

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 04:02 AM

I Know they have or at least had a huge beaver problem in Tierra del fuego.
I wonder if any castor buyers tapped that market?
They might have an exotic diet down there.

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 04:19 AM

Those be the FAR southern beaver I guess.

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 04:23 AM

I saw a special on the TV about that. Looks like there's lots of beavers down there. I wonder what their diet is.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 04:42 AM

Yep, those would sure be far far southern beavs! I once trapped a little stream in Wy called prairie creek. There was only one surviving tree on the whole creek I trapped, and it was an ash, and had been chewed down so many times that it was a bunch of stumps. Those were the worst castors I had ever seen or smelled. Didn’t even bother to remove them, were about the size if rat glands, and a real yellow color. Hardly any smell to them at all. There were dam after dam all the way down that creek, snd they were all like that, but all they were eating was cattails! They absolutely were the worst set of beaver I ever caught!

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 04:47 AM

I saw a special on the TV about that. Looks like there's lots of beavers down there. I wonder what their diet is.

I saw that too. If I remember right they were really concerned about the environmental damage caused by those beavers as the tree species down there don't coppice like northern species. So cut a tree down and it's gone for good.
Posted By: loosanarrow

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 05:03 AM

Am I the only one wondering where I can look into getting a piece of the action in Tierra Del Fuego? I have tried to find info a year or so ago, but nothing I can find so far. Anyone know anything about “applying” for a beaver job down there?

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 06:17 AM

I think the beavers in Tierra del fuego cut down southern beech-apparently really big trees-old growth.They must feed on the tops like they do on the big Bam here.
Posted By: KOSOI

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 07:13 AM

We have a different ration for beavers at each pond. Pavel ! I can send you some of our castor for free for experiments. how to make a deal ?
Posted By: KOSOI

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 07:15 AM

I do not understand! What do you mean when you say chewing gum?
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 09:37 AM

I think they are talking about sweet gum, It’s a type of tree.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 09:58 AM

good read thanks paul
Posted By: MJM

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 12:46 PM

Have you ever made Backbreaker with Northern caster?
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by loosanarrow
Am I the only one wondering where I can look into getting a piece of the action in Tierra Del Fuego? I have tried to find info a year or so ago, but nothing I can find so far. Anyone know anything about “applying” for a beaver job down there?

No your not.
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by loosanarrow

The last frontier when it comes to beaver work cry laugh cool
Posted By: claycreech

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 03:24 PM

Ok, since nobody else will ask, where in the heck is Tierra Del Fuego?
Posted By: claycreech

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 03:29 PM

Got it found. Southern South America.
Long way from home lol.
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by claycreech
Got it found. Southern South America.
Long way from home lol.

I thinking $50,000.00 set up fee and still thinking about price per critter.

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 03:36 PM

Yeah, I too salivate at the idea of beaver trapping down in Chile. I even speak the language.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 03:40 PM

I sold my northern castor to Paul and was plenty happy. What a nice guy.
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Castor Prices - 02/17/22 04:04 PM

Alaska trapper association prez went to Tierra del Fuego and checked out the beaver situation down there. There was an article in the Alaska Trapper magazine on it. If you get hold of ATA Fairbanks Zarnke can probably give you more info. Go to header on Wilderness page for link to ATA.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums