Home

Wildlife Services seasonal opening

Posted By: newhouse114

Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/17/22 02:31 AM

If there is someone out there that wants to test the waters with wildlife services, this would be a great opportunity. Position would be from 3-15 through the end of August. Central Oregon coast, live in travel trailer available. Trapping and wing shooting experience are requirements. If interested shoot me a pm and I'll put you in contact with the supervisor.
Posted By: Pirogue

Re: Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/17/22 02:47 AM

Wing shooting as a job ?? Im in !!!
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/17/22 03:07 AM

I’m spoken for this summer but it sounds interesting.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/17/22 03:43 AM

What would the pay be, other requirements, availability of becoming permanent? Would be info that would be helpful. Man I wish I had known about jobs like this when I was able to take them. Maybe in a few years I will be v able to.
Posted By: charles

Re: Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/17/22 03:46 AM

What do you shoot in the summer months? Pigeons maybe.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/17/22 03:50 AM

Ravens mostly.
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/17/22 04:49 AM

Is it a GS5 starting pay scale
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/17/22 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Ravens mostly.

Are Ravens that much of a pest in Oregon?

Re: Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/17/22 06:46 AM

GS 4,5, or 6, depending on experience and education. It is a seasonal position, but give you a foot in the door for a permanent position in other locals.
Posted By: midlander

Re: Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/17/22 11:51 AM

Pay is peanuts for those jobs, but if you enjoy what you are doing, that is worth something....
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/17/22 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by midlander
Pay is peanuts for those jobs, but if you enjoy what you are doing, that is worth something....

If you enjoy what you are doing, it is worth EVERYTHING.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/17/22 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.

Isn't that the Truth

Re: Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/17/22 01:04 PM

Agree 100% yet how happy will you be when the wife is stressed because of finances?
Still a job shooting and trapping sounds like a dream. Maybe in a few years something like this will pop up. I should be able to work for food then if I keep after the plan.

Re: Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/17/22 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
[quote

Agree 100% yet how happy will you be when the wife is stressed because of finances?
Still a job shooting and trapping sounds like a dream. Maybe in a few years something like this will pop up. I should be able to work for food then if I keep after the plan.

[color:#FF0000][/color]

That is an issue that's way too complicated to solve on this forum, but it has little to nothing to do with income.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/17/22 01:41 PM

You would be surprised what you can actually live well on if planned right and living in the right locations most folks are butt deep in debt from junk they never needed but a lot of things can impact a persons life they have no control over.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/17/22 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
You would be surprised what you can actually live well on if planned right and living in the right locations most folks are butt deep in debt from junk they never needed but a lot of things can impact a persons life they have no control over.

Ain't that the truth

Re: Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/17/22 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog

If most people actually sat down and added up the interest they paid to banks over their lifetime they would have a heart attack.
Posted By: scheide

Re: Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/17/22 07:37 PM

Well said Law Dog!!! Some people buy "Junk" just because everyone else is, just so they "Fit" in. And then struggle to make the payments.
Posted By: Redknot

Re: Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/17/22 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by scheide
Well said Law Dog!!! Some people buy "Junk" just because everyone else is, just so they "Fit" in. And then struggle to make the payments.

Odd, but usually the "junk" I buy is all I can afford...

Re: Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/17/22 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
[quote

[color:#FF0000][/color]

That is an issue that's way too complicated to solve on this forum, but it has little to nothing to do with income.

Yep most folks have some time issues with debt. My farm is paid for, rent house pays for it's self, I do owe only wife's mini van. I'm going to pay off the rent house and turn that into income instead of just paying for it's self. That will pay the van off sooner or for solar electric that will eliminate most of he electric bill. We grow about 70% of our food. We can get buy on very little but the plan is to be able to get by on even less.

Kids collage and such are also a factor but we are working on getting posed to live comfortably on very little income. At that point an opertunity like this would be nice to have the chance to try. Especially since I didn't do it when I was young and before the the wife and kids.
Posted By: Mike N.

Re: Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/18/22 03:40 AM

I've always been a little curious about these jobs and the wing shooting experience requirements. Where or how does someone get that experience for an entry level position?
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/18/22 03:51 AM

Mike, do like the rest of us.....LIE!

Re: Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/18/22 04:00 AM

Easy for peeler to say, he’s a farmer and his own boss. Any bird hunter and trapper would have the needed qualifications.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/18/22 05:37 AM

Do starlings count? grin 3 years ago I would have applied -- but my business is taking off and that is my busy time of year. If i took a season off I know that I could not reclaim my business. Why doesn't wildlife services offer good year round positions?

Re: Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/18/22 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by H2ORat
Do starlings count? grin 3 years ago I would have applied -- but my business is taking off and that is my busy time of year. If i took a season off I know that I could not reclaim my business. Why doesn't wildlife services offer good year round positions?

Because here in Oregon they are a cost recovery department and squeezing money out of those that require service on a long term basis is like getting blood from a turnip.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/20/22 02:30 PM

That’s the only reason I stayed in the military as long as I did. The pay was enough but it was peanuts.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Wildlife Services seasonal opening - 02/20/22 02:37 PM

Yes^^^
© 2024 Trapperman Forums