Posted By: micheal

Re: Deer hunters - 02/18/22 10:15 AM

You can try it
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Deer hunters - 02/18/22 11:38 AM

Walked up to one a few years back and kicked him in the arse
Posted By: Crowfoot

Re: Deer hunters - 02/18/22 12:18 PM

WOW, those muleys are skiddish, you have to kick these eastern whitetails several times to get them to jump up and run like that grin
Posted By: Snyde901

Re: Deer hunters - 02/18/22 12:37 PM

Impressive, I usually bust them before getting inside 100 yds. haha
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Deer hunters - 02/18/22 12:46 PM

Have picked up two beaver by their tails.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Deer hunters - 02/18/22 12:48 PM

I love stalking deer with archery gear. Never touched one though. I've been blessed with some pretty awesome stalks. It's amazing what you can do if you take your time go slow.

Re: Deer hunters - 02/18/22 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
I love stalking deer with archery gear. Never touched one though. I've been blessed with some pretty awesome stalks. It's amazing what you can do if you take your time go slow.

......... and time the tranquilizer wearing off juuuuuuuust right. wink
smile

Re: Deer hunters - 02/18/22 01:27 PM

As a guy that's stalked bedded mule deer and whitetail to within bow range I'll believe that video is 100% legit. And getting within 30 yds of a bedded mature buck isn't easy no matter what species he is.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Deer hunters - 02/18/22 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Snowpa
Walked up to one a few years back and kicked him in the arse

Couldabeen worse

Re: Deer hunters - 02/18/22 02:06 PM

As a guy that's stalked bedded mule deer and whitetail to within bow range I'll believe that video is 100% legit. And getting within 30 yds of a bedded mature buck isn't easy no matter what species he is.

.... within bow range ? I agree and have done that myself, but only with whitetails, never been out west.
OK, grabbing the antler, giving it a shake, deer not responding, reaching in again and grabbing the horn for a second jiggle ? ... only then getting the deer to respond ????
100% legit ? ? cmon man crazy
May be a muley thing, never realized they were that tame.

Re: Deer hunters - 02/18/22 02:16 PM

Gotta give the camera guy credit too ! He had to get in there totin a camera ! eek
grin

Re: Deer hunters - 02/18/22 02:27 PM

Ever see an animal wake up from being asleep?
It happens about like u describe if they don't know what woke them

Re: Deer hunters - 02/18/22 02:43 PM

Ever see an animal wake up from being asleep?
It happens about like u describe if they don't know what woke them

Yes ... a pet.
and ... no, not an eastern whitetail.
I've heard muleys were easy, but wouldn't have thought they were that ..... lax.

Re: Deer hunters - 02/18/22 03:01 PM

We walked up on a coyote sleeping by a brush pile out calling on a real windy day. We thought it was dead. It woke up just like our dogs. Took a second or two to get it's witts about it.
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Deer hunters - 02/18/22 03:02 PM

Only thing I want to say is that stalking where you have concealment like stalks, tall grass is MUCH easier than what most of my woodland bros are used to. With our Eastern herd, one wrong step on a stick break and you are on hold for 20 minutes because of how easy they spook.

With the Eastern and Southern woodlands, you must go from tree to tree, and stay very low. You will at times have to low crawl and even then, on flat land around 25 yards is the closest. If you are able to stalk them over a hill, you can low crawl to about 10 yards. After the leaves fall, forget all of that, unless it rains, maybe others who have tried it with snow can speak up.

Re: Deer hunters - 02/18/22 03:36 PM

(whitetail) Deer rest, they don't sleep to where you have to shake them (twice) to wake them up.
They also have a good nose. See that he is downwind of his blind spot ? Stalker and camera man as close as 3 feet up wind ?
A whitetail can smell your finger print on a strand of barbed wire.
You can cover your scent to an extent.
Maybe it is just a muley thing, but you ain't gonna get away with that on a Virginia whitetail. IMO
I'm not convinced.
Cheers
Posted By: SpottedOwl

Re: Deer hunters - 02/18/22 03:53 PM

The jury wasn’t convinced that O.J. was guilty either.

Owl
Posted By: Rye

Re: Deer hunters - 02/18/22 04:18 PM

Couple years back a buddy called said he shot a buck (6pt) asked for help locating it. As we are walking in on the trail, he's leading and walks right by, I was following him and noticed a deer body to my right in the brush. It's well after dark at this point, I call him back and said " you said it was a 6pt. It's a four!" He shot back it was certainly not a forkie. I said " Well explain this!" He comes back to where I am. The deer is curled up on the ground between us at this point. He's still trying to say that's not the buck he shot. We go back and forth for a good 20-30 seconds on this. All of a sudden the buck stands up between us, looks left and right and hauls boogie through the brush out of there. Turns out it wasn't the one he shot LOL. We both had headlamps on and were looking down so the deer probably couldn't see us.
The season before this a member of the lease had his wife hunting with him. She fired 4 shots at buck that was 80-100 yards away (bad bad bad case of the fever) and missed all 4 times. He refused to let her shoot again so they watched the buck continue to feed and walk off. That deer never responded to a single shot. The location wasn't 150 yards from where the following season we stood over that buck. We suspect he was deaf.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Deer hunters - 02/18/22 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce T

Me too Bruce. One anyway -that thought he was hiding in the brush...just the tail sticking out.

Re: Deer hunters - 02/18/22 04:40 PM

Strange things happen every day.....

Re: Deer hunters - 02/18/22 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Originally Posted by Bruce T

Me too Bruce. One anyway -that thought he was hiding in the brush...just the tail sticking out.

I grabbed 1 beaver by the tail once while seining minnows in a small creek. Walking upstream towards a shallow hole and saw a beaver scooting along ahead of me. He went into the foot or so deep hole and froze on the bottom against the bank. He knew I was there for sure but was expecting I'd walk right by without seeing him. I got right beside it, sidestepped and bent down all at once and grabbed at his tail. I only had it very briefly with one hand and man did he ever get outta there !

There's a small thick clump of brush along the road from my house to the mailbox. I walked it most every day last summer. Most days for about a month, there was a buck that laid there and watched me go by, then come back by. Just had to keep walking as if I never saw it and he would stay there, all day. Maybe 20 yards or so. We would drive out and back in the car and I'd point him out and he was there most of a month.
I knew a guy that hunted them that way and was quite successful, read a book about it too. Walk through the woods, or down a road/path like you were walking to school. Keep looking left and right (you can see much more when moving), The deer hear you coming way before they see you but you're not quite the threat of tiptoeing hunter so they tend to stand still, assuming you don't see them, and anticipate you just walking on by. Just keep your pace and as you are approach a tree, bush or anything that briefly blocks their view, bring the gun up midstride and be ready as you come back into view. You only have a second or 2 once they see that you have stopped. I've done it a time or 2 myself, but sort of by accident on my way in, or out. But it definitely works.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums