Posted By: HayDay

Hey Yoopers - 02/18/22 09:51 PM

Who makes the best pastie?
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/18/22 09:52 PM

Stormy Danials?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/18/22 09:58 PM

don't know who's making it but it has bagas in it Ruttabagas !
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/18/22 10:11 PM

GRAM;S in escanaba
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/18/22 10:53 PM

I like em loaded with ketchup so it doesn't really matter who makes it. Lol.
Posted By: misterb

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/18/22 10:59 PM

There are some who prefer the ones from my kitchen. laugh
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/18/22 11:11 PM

I ain't a Yooper, but my Maw and Bride both made fantastic pasties using a recipe my step-dad's uncle's parents brought to Calumet when they immigrated from Cornwall, England to work in the mines during the 1800's. GREENCOUNTYPETE, they were loaded with Beggies (AKA rutabagas!).

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/18/22 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by J.Morse
I ain't a Yooper, but my Maw and Bride both made fantastic pasties using a recipe my step-dad's uncle's parents brought to Calumet when they immigrated from Cornwall, England to work in the mines during the 1800's. GREENCOUNTYPETE, they were loaded with Beggies (AKA rutabagas!).

south west Wisconsin around our first state capitol Belmont WI 1836 was populated at the time with Cornish working the Lead mines

a Proper Pastie could be dropped down the shaft in a cloth and not break apart

they ate them holding them by the crimped edge and left that part un-eaten

and of course had Bagas or as you call them Beggies

later on the same people moved to da Yoop to work the Iron mines and brought their traditions and food with them

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/18/22 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by J.Morse

south west Wisconsin around our first state capitol Belmont WI 1836 was populated at the time with Cornish working the Lead mines

a Proper Pastie could be dropped down the shaft in a cloth and not break apart

they ate them holding them by the crimped edge and left that part un-eaten

and of course had Bagas or as you call them Beggies

later on the same people moved to da Yoop to work the Iron mines and brought their traditions and food with them

I still have the dough recipe from that old Cornish gal. Yep, pasties were finger food. A flakey crust wouldn't have held up to the treatment those miners would have given them.

Oh, I am mostly a ketchup man, but beef gravy is awful good too.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/18/22 11:52 PM

Depends on where you are in the U.P.If your in the Escanaba area Grams Pasties or Dobbers,if your in the Munising area Muldoons are good.Those are the ones I'm familiar with.Ketchup on them is alright,but gravy on one can't be beat

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/18/22 11:54 PM

a Proper Pastie could be dropped down the shaft in a cloth and not break. Ha,never heard that one
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/19/22 12:05 AM

Always liked the ones in the case at Brown's in Little Lake.
Locally homemade.

Been a few years now so maybe a thing of the past.
Posted By: coyote 1

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/19/22 12:11 AM

I don't know who makes the best in the U.P but they are good with gravy.
Posted By: Alfa Dog

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/19/22 12:19 AM

Joe's pasties in Ironwood......Only second to my wife's!
Posted By: Alfa Dog

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/19/22 12:30 AM

Joe's pasties in Ironwood......Only second to my wife's!
Posted By: Yooper1978

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/19/22 01:59 AM

Lawry’s in Ishpeming
Ralph’s Deli in Ishpeming
Lawry’s in Marquette
Posted By: billy

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/19/22 02:31 AM

ya lawrys,ralphs in ishpeming and the crossroad bar and browns in little lake,dobbins and grams in escanaba,mulddoons and miners pasties in munising and you have the st christopher church. a lot of the old time pastie people are gone and thier roadside shops,but there is a few still around. the best pastie for me will have rutabagie and everything chopped into cubes. my wife makes a very good one also i dont know who makes the best but i can tell ya there is a lot of good pastie shops out there for your finding. ya i like a good pastie.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/19/22 02:34 AM

Dobbers in I.M.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/19/22 04:01 AM

My momma. Cubed of equal size onion, rutabaga, meat, and potato.
Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)

a Proper Pastie could be dropped down the shaft in a cloth and not break. Ha,never heard that one

I was told that most of the crust was not eaten back when great grandma made them. The way mom makes them has a nice pie crust.
Posted By: 30/06

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/19/22 05:43 AM

My dear wife, with moose if we've got some. Crossroads tavern betwixt Gwinn and Marquette had excellent pasties in the late 80's, and a great looking gal serving them.
Posted By: trapperEd

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/19/22 06:16 AM

Jean Kays Pasty's Marquette MI The Best.

Brian makes theirs with steak. Got them with Rutabaga and without.
I have been buying Jean Kay's Pasty's for 25 years.

Muldoon's in Munising are good also. I have several other good Pasties in da UP. the BP station in Bruce Crossing had good ones.

Lawry's tasted the worse to me, I don't buy them anymore. One thing good about Lawry's is they have "Dry Ice" in the summer if you need it.

Don't buy Pasty's near the Big Mac Bridge, at one time I thought they were ok, Then I got Pasties in the upper UP; it makes those near the Bridge Sad.

Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/19/22 06:20 AM

Mark Spence Jr. has a place just east of the Mackinaw bridge on Hwy 2 that has some good pasties.
Posted By: trapperEd

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/19/22 06:24 AM

Hi 30-06,

The Crossroads has really great laugh food best I have found.
The only problem is first you have to find a place to park there, it gets really crowded.
Then hope you don't starve while you wait to get in the place eek

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/19/22 01:19 PM

East of the bridge on U.S.2?You must mean west of the bridge

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/19/22 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by mad_mike
I was told that most of the crust was not eaten back when great grandma made them. The way mom makes them has a nice pie crust.

the way they tell it around here , the crusts were left for the Tommy knockers a mythical subterranean gnome-like creature in Cornish folklore if you fed them they didn't get into mischief that caused mining accidents

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/19/22 03:22 PM

Never heard any of those stories,but we're in the southern U.P.,the mines are all further north of here.
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/19/22 03:25 PM

Joes pasty shop in Ironwood.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/19/22 03:25 PM

East of the bridge on U.S.2?You must mean west of the bridge

Yes, I meant west of the bridge.

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/19/22 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pike River
Dobbers in I.M.

I.M.??? Would that be Iron Mountain?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/19/22 04:43 PM

Hmmm never had one
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/19/22 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Hmmm never had one

You're missing out. Got to get them with bagas though.

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/19/22 10:12 PM

We took a family vacation to north woods last August. Spousal unit's brother has a place in northern Wisconsin, and from there, kids and grandkids wanted to go see Mackinac Island. Brother in law kept mentioning the need to sample some pasties, so we went north one day to Joe's in Ironwood plus Randall bakery in Wakefield. Couple days later took that long day's stroll east down Hwy 2. Was hoping to pick up some samples along the way. After a stop at the Pasty Oven in Quinnesec was told that last stop was my last stop or else I might be walking home. Still stopped one more time at Lehto's. By then cooler I had was full and wasn't wanting to push my luck any further.

Since then, have burned through the whole stash. All of them good as far as I can tell. As for something to look at, Pasty Oven had them all beat hands down. Had a fancy decorated "handle" on the fold.

Not something well known outside of that region, and only food I've ever heard of that includes rutabaga as an ingredient, but liked them well enough to consider having a dozen or so shipped south for the freezer.

But appreciate the leads for next time I'm up there. From where we stay, Joe's is the closest.......and not a bad option.

Re: Hey Yoopers - 02/19/22 10:17 PM

As for Lehto's and that smoked whitefish, still wondering about that. If nothing else, could probably be used to get a coon to stick his head in a bucket set. Expensive bait though.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums