Home

Snow.

Posted By: Boco

Snow. - 02/20/22 10:37 PM

Snow is getting real deep now,and we usually get a fair bit in March too.Went for a run today,picked up a med size cat at a new jackpot.
Gonna have to clear the camp roof soon I guess.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Snow. - 02/20/22 11:02 PM

Looks cold.Way to go on the lynx.

Re: Snow. - 02/20/22 11:37 PM

Actually it was fairly mild today,Bruce.
Minus 8 c.Windy and snowing a little in the open,but no wind in the bush.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Snow. - 02/20/22 11:38 PM

Lucky. It was a miserable balmy 60 degrees here with the sun shining most all day. frown
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Snow. - 02/20/22 11:39 PM

Wow, looks amazing, thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Snow. - 02/20/22 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Snow is getting real deep now,and we usually get a fair bit in March too.Went for a run today,picked up a med size cat at a new jackpot.
Gonna have to clear the camp roof soon I guess

I yi yi! Not sure I'd feel safe in that cabin!!
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Snow. - 02/20/22 11:42 PM

Take some Advil before raking the roof …unless you have some young guns to do it
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Snow. - 02/20/22 11:44 PM

Gonna be 89 here this coming Thursday. I cant even concentrate on where to set a beaver trap for looking for cottonmouths.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Snow. - 02/20/22 11:49 PM

Clearing that roof would give me a heart attack, stay safe Boco.

Re: Snow. - 02/20/22 11:53 PM

Be careful clearing that roof
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Snow. - 02/20/22 11:59 PM

Do you get up on the roof to shovel it, or use a roof rake from the ground ?
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 12:12 AM

Ain’t no heat gettin out that roof!
Posted By: nate

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 12:17 AM

Great pictures, tuff ole place you call home.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 12:55 AM

You're not kidding Boco - that is a lot of snow!
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 01:15 AM

Boco, have you ever used the rope method of clearing the roof?
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 01:19 AM

That's a sturdy shelter to carry a load of snow like that
Posted By: CaseXX

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 01:49 AM

Beautiful, be careful. But your gonna have to translate that temp for me I don't speak Canadian. Little smiley thingy.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 01:52 AM

I’d clear the roof. I just need an invite.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 01:57 AM

Paradise Boco

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 02:12 AM

That is not a lot of work clearing snow off the roof.I just did my house roof yesterday,its 4 times bigger,but not quite as deep snow.
I use a snow float. Its pretty easy cause you are floating the snow downhill,lol.
At home the bigger job is removing it after it is on the ground-If you leave it for a few hours it turns solid as a rock.I use the atv and plow to push it away.If it turns solid you have to break it up with a steel shovel before the bike can push it.
I wont have to worry about removing it from the ground at the cabin.
Its a fairly good cardio workout all the same,about like breaking beaver dams for a couple hours straight.

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 02:27 AM

That wasn’t an invite, Boco. The roof is mine. Lol.

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 02:28 AM

LOL
Posted By: Mac

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 02:34 AM

Boco, thanks for sharing
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 06:57 AM

I love the snow. Unfortunately we frequently go the winter without getting any to stick here. Got about 9-10" just after this Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed that. Of course, if I go 1 hour east of here I can get into snow whenever I want.

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 10:18 AM

Loved the snow when I was younger.Beaver trapped.Ran bobcat hounds,beagles,found moose sheds and ice fished

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 01:41 PM

I still love the snow. Something about it just brings me back to being a kid. Maybe it’s because my kids still love it. I hate to see it when I have traps out, but I can deal with that.

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by USMC47 🦫
I still love the snow. Something about it just brings me back to being a kid. Maybe it’s because my kids still love it. I hate to see it when I have traps out, but I can deal with that.

It's the arthritis that hurts my joints so bad from the cold.In hot weather all the aches and pains go away.
Posted By: rvsask

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 01:50 PM

I’ve grown to hate the snow. When I was younger I liked it. Now it’s time, money and work and is able to basically kill my hobbies in winter when as deep as it is here and has been for months. 6 months a year of good snow cover sucks.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce T
Originally Posted by USMC47 🦫

It's the arthritis that hurts my joints so bad from the cold.In hot weather all the aches and pains go away.

Just the opposite for me Bruce the real cold makes all my aches and pains subside.The colder the better. In the humid heat we get here it hurts my old broken bones

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 02:02 PM

Amazing how it is so different for each person.Very Interesting.

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 02:04 PM

My uncle is living in Arizona now after his motorcycle accident and feels much better in the hot dry climate.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Lucky. It was a miserable balmy 60 degrees here with the sun shining most all day. frown

55 and windy here got some wood splitting in , but a muddy mess by late afternoon

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 02:22 PM

When you embrace it likeBoo does with proper tools it's manageable
We either prepare for it or it sucks

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 02:38 PM

In winter people here are a lot more active,always work to do in winter,when your outside you want to be doing something,except maybe if your ice fishing and sitting waiting for a bite,or in a wolf hunting blind.But fur will keep you toasty warm in those situations.Other than that it is all about dressing in layers.Take the layers off when working,like cutting wood etc.If it wasnt for winter trapping would suck here.Once the rivers creeks and lakes and swamps freeze up you can travel anywhere.In summer travel into the interior is restricted to logging roads or rivers,which by the way can also be used in winter on snowmachines.
When it gets hot in the summer I dont really want to be working hard like in winter-its just too uncomfortable and tiring.The heat seems to drain my energy.
There is something about the winter that really invigorates you.I can feel it coming on in fall with the cold morning frosts and leaves start falling.Just feels like you want to get out in the bush and get to work.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 03:06 PM

That's not deep. We call that medium.

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 03:10 PM

In winter people here are a lot more active,always work to do in winter,when your outside you want to be doing something,except maybe if your ice fishing and sitting waiting for a bite,or in a wolf hunting blind.But fur will keep you toasty warm in those situations.Other than that it is all about dressing in layers.Take the layers off when working,like cutting wood etc.If it wasnt for winter trapping would suck here.Once the rivers creeks and lakes and swamps freeze up you can travel anywhere.In summer travel into the interior is restricted to logging roads or rivers,which by the way can also be used in winter on snowmachines.
When it gets hot in the summer I dont really want to be working hard like in winter-its just too uncomfortable and tiring.The heat seems to drain my energy.
There is something about the winter that really invigorates you.I can feel it coming on in fall with the cold morning frosts and leaves start falling.Just feels like you want to get out in the bush and get to work.

Lol......the heat brings me to life.I feel like a young man again.

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt

Medium to some...is Very Deep to others
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 03:14 PM

X2!
Posted By: Spade

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 06:18 PM

Snow on the trapper cabin on the property, supposed to get another 12 inches tonight and tomorrow. Raked and floated it off yesterday. [Linked Image]. Cabin was built in 1898 during the logging boom.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 08:30 PM

I'M right there with you boco , about winter . I feel way better in winter ,summer heat kills my joints

Re: Snow. - 02/21/22 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
I'M right there with you boco , about winter . I feel way better in winter ,summer heat kills my joints

That simply amazes me.Cold tightens and knots me up.The heat loosens me up and the pain goes away.Love the heat.I even hate air conditioning in the summer time.Even down to Florida I won't use the air conditioner. Love being out in that sun with the sun in my face.

Re: Snow. - 02/22/22 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

Medium to some...is Very Deep to others

This year is looking like another snowpocalypse. cry

Re: Snow. - 02/22/22 02:05 PM

Yes Dirt, we're in the middle of a 40+ hour snowfall

But late winter snows provide moisture for the growing season.

Re: Snow. - 02/22/22 02:07 PM

No snow here today.

Re: Snow. - 02/22/22 02:12 PM

Our driveway [ 200 yds. ] needs opened for the 3rd. Time

Re: Snow. - 02/22/22 02:14 PM

The snow here should provide moisture for the spring and summer floods. smile

Re: Snow. - 02/22/22 02:17 PM

The snow here should provide moisture for the spring and summer floods. smile

Just the opposite here.Without the big spring melt off this year water in lakes and streams will be low this year
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Snow. - 02/22/22 02:30 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Snow. - 02/22/22 02:30 PM

We can't change nature, just live with it.

Although certain groups think we can

Re: Snow. - 02/22/22 05:51 PM

Snowing again today-calling for another 35cm.
Could be lots of water around this spring depending on how things play out.
We get a couple good heavy snows in March.if we get a stretch of warm weather,above freezing day and night with rain in April,it might be interesting.
The best weather in April would be warm days above freezing,and lows at night below freezing for a couple weeks with no or little rain.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Snow. - 02/22/22 08:51 PM

snowing hard here now
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Snow. - 02/22/22 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbrownie
Do you get up on the roof to shovel it, or use a roof rake from the ground ?

You need to borrow my Avalanche roof snow remover. Much easier to use than a roof rake. You push it off from while standing on the ground.

Re: Snow. - 02/22/22 10:39 PM

No more snow so far.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums