Home

squirrel proof deer feeder ideas

Posted By: charles

squirrel proof deer feeder ideas - 02/22/22 02:56 AM

Does anybody know how to feed corn to deer without squirrels getting more than the deer?

I have visions of hanging ears of dried corn on mono fishing line about three feet high over logging paths. Do you think this would work?
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: squirrel proof deer feeder ideas - 02/22/22 03:39 AM

I think you're making it a bigger deal than necessary .
Squirrels are just part of the problem , you have coon and turkey , and many others going to feed on your bait .
A salt lick is a better idea , with some corn just a few days before you plan to hunt .
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: squirrel proof deer feeder ideas - 02/22/22 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by charles
Does anybody know how to feed corn to deer without squirrels getting more than the deer?

Nope

Hire a trapper
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: squirrel proof deer feeder ideas - 02/22/22 04:05 AM

plant hay
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: squirrel proof deer feeder ideas - 02/22/22 04:35 AM

I attach the spiked rectangles used for putting trusses together but on occasion they can jump higher depending on the feeder. I have 4x6 post planted in the ground with a hanging feeder on one food plot My strips are at 3 feet and again at 5 feet and the feeder is at about 8 feet from spinner to ground. Never had any critter minus birds get to it. Once it's on the ground, let the games begin.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: squirrel proof deer feeder ideas - 02/22/22 11:48 AM

The squirrels, jays and other critters are one of the ways deer find and come back to these food sources. I look at it as cost of doing business. We cannot bait or feed in Michigan, but when I go to my cabin, dump food in the bird feeder for the weekend. All the noisy critters let the deer know something is up. Not one deer track in the snow by feeder, a few hours of birds and squirrels and the deer appear looking for dropped seed.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: squirrel proof deer feeder ideas - 02/22/22 11:58 AM

Plant some clover and turnips
Posted By: micheal

Re: squirrel proof deer feeder ideas - 02/22/22 12:07 PM

Cage traps
Posted By: GRP

Re: squirrel proof deer feeder ideas - 02/22/22 12:27 PM

Green fields and salt or mineral blocks. Only fed corn about 2 seasons. Got tired of coons and squirrels quick
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: squirrel proof deer feeder ideas - 02/22/22 01:31 PM

Find some young boys and turn them loose with a .22 of pellet gun.

Re: squirrel proof deer feeder ideas - 02/22/22 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Find some young boys and turn them loose with a .22 of pellet gun.

This would work
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: squirrel proof deer feeder ideas - 02/22/22 02:06 PM

https://youtu.be/cAd3ALa--gg

Re: squirrel proof deer feeder ideas - 02/22/22 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by micheal
Cage traps

This also, it takes time though
Posted By: larrywaugh

Re: squirrel proof deer feeder ideas - 02/22/22 02:36 PM

I have made a version that works for coon and squirrels I would post a pic but don't know how.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: squirrel proof deer feeder ideas - 02/22/22 04:10 PM

Don't worry about the squirrels . They just eat the heart and the rest the deer will still eat. Coons are the main culprits.
Posted By: Mark K

Re: squirrel proof deer feeder ideas - 02/22/22 04:42 PM

Start feeding earlier in the year. Fatten up your coon so they are able to be mass trapped when they are most prime. Set out a bunch of bucket sets and you should have most, if not all coon in the area in a week. I'm talking 10 sets.

The squirrels can be removed with simple 110 sets.
Posted By: Bucndoe

Re: squirrel proof deer feeder ideas - 02/23/22 01:10 PM

Take a look at the EZ Feeder Hanger on Amazon. I bought two and they work great. They can’t get at the corn until it hits the ground. Same for the coons

© 2024 Trapperman Forums