Home

Moving to NY

Posted By: kbuck

Moving to NY - 02/23/22 02:05 PM

This year I'm moving to western NY from Arkansas to start a new chapter of my life.

I'm prepping myself for a bit of culture shock and the longer winters but I'm also excited for a new set of opportunities as an outdoorsman.

For those of y'all that are familiar with the region, how's the hunting/fishing/trapping?

Any other advice is welcome.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 02:09 PM

Pick a different state.Politics and taxes are awful.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 02:10 PM

Think you need to listen to some Hank Williams Jr songs first, then decide.
Posted By: run

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 02:14 PM

Some people seem to like upstate NY. If you move to New York, you will be closer to Boco and the other Canadians. That is a plus. There's always a silver lining somewhere.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 02:16 PM

I would skip ahead a couple chapters
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 02:34 PM

It depends on which County in WNY , you are moving to . Some are better than others.
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by kbuck
This year I'm moving to western NY from Arkansas to start a new chapter of my life.

I'm prepping myself for a bit of culture shock and the longer winters but I'm also excited for a new set of opportunities as an outdoorsman.

For those of y'all that are familiar with the region, how's the hunting/fishing/trapping?

I would recommend you chose Northern NY vs western. I am from Binghamton NY and Western NY is beautiful with pretty much nonstop rolling hills. However if you get near Rochester, or Rome, you can truly experience the greatness that NY is known for. The St Lawrence River has salmon fishing that matches any Salmon fishing experience I ever had in Washington State. The hunting and trapping are also excellent. Things are different, but anywhere north of that godforsaken southern leg of NY, people are just like they are where your at in Arkansas.

Things to be aware of. Whatever you do, do not bring a pistol with you. I am warning you again. Do not bring a pistol with you. The NY cops whether it's County or state patrol will pull you over just to check you out because of out of state plates. Get your concealed carry permit after a year of living there, most of NY is good about it in those parts.

Vehicle inspection is a thing, they take it seriously. School tax and property tax are going to make you very very very upset. Other than that, the gun laws are what they are, but you will.be going into one of the most beautiful places a person can ever see. Also make sure you got that vaccine if you going to work a public sector job or health care job. GL.

Edit: fluid film. Do not waste money on undercoating of rubber or anything like that. Fluid film every year will help the vehicles not rust.
Posted By: Redknot

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 02:50 PM

Tofan covered it quite well...Some things you are going to like a lot, taxes, you won't!! As CB says where in NY means a lot...We have lots to offer in NY... If truly in western NY Lake Erie will introduce herself to you each winter, but will provide some of the best walleye fishing anywhere on the planet...
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 03:06 PM

Do you say "crick" or "creek" ? smile
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 03:17 PM

You are a UNICORN !!!! Not in the way some may think . But RARE to find someone MOVING INTO the state of NY . Millions are moving out !!!

After tofan response sounds like an awesome place to visit but not live........
Posted By: Dragger

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 03:29 PM

My condolences..
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 04:00 PM

I would also pick another state.To many laws there
Posted By: Redknot

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce T

HA!! But we can hunt on Sundays!!! Sorry Bruce, I couldn't help myself!!
Posted By: Squash

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 04:10 PM

Makes me laugh when people that know little about what NY State has to offer bad mouth it. I have yet to find a state that doesn’t have a downside. Many here like to bad mouth NY, but most all here sure like the money they’ve been making with their investments on Wall Street, in NYC financial capital of the world. As long as you don’t move into any of the major cities in NY, you will probably like it here.
Posted By: Firemandivi

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 04:14 PM

I have lived in NY my entire life and have to question why you would pick NY to start the next chapter of your life given the many what I would think better alternatives. So why NY?

Gun Laws: 10 round max. no standard ARs allowed unless you register them as an assault rife. Pistol permit will take close to a year to get and same 10 round limit. Every pistol has to be registered and on your pistol license which is a card you keep on you, takes about a month or two every time you add a pistol.

Politics: Corrupt just like most other places. If your upstate and not around a city, most people are conservative, cities tend to be more liberal, probably the same for most states.

Taxes: Higher than most states, rent higher too. Looking into taxes for the location you want to move, I'm middle ground at just over $12,000 a year in taxes.

Schools: Most provide a good education for your kids if you have them, but they are also the driving force for your high taxes.

Hunting, fishing and trapping: Great, just have to watch out for non hunters and the general public is not a fan of trappers. Oh and always have all your paper work, as you will get stopped by the conservation officer or police officer checking for your license, even if its the free one required to fish for stripers in the Hudson.

The Adirondacks are beautiful and so are the Catskills, just hard to find a good paying job to make ends meet in those areas.

Good luck and I'm really curious why you want to move to NY over just about anywhere else, besides California of course.

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 04:16 PM

I once met a young man from WV that had joined the army. He told me that when he was sent to Fort Drum, home of the 10th Mtn. Division, the most deployed division in the USA. He was very depressed, because of all of the bad things he had heard about NY State. After he moved here, and got settled, he said it was great. Probably some of the best fishing in the world, St. Law. River,eastern basin of Lake Ontario.
Posted By: Paul D. Heppner

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 04:22 PM

Kbuck, what part of Western NY? I live about 15 minutes west of Rochester and 2 miles south of Lake Ontario. I grew up on a small farm In Orchard Park just outside Buffalo. It's not so much farm country anymore though. If you end up around Buffalo you will have access to great smallmouth, perch, and walleye fishing. When I was a kid access to hunting and trapping spots was easy and always close by. At that time deer hunting was iffy. I was 16 before I saw my first deer out behind the barn, didn't deer hunt until I was 22. Then it was an explosion, they were everywhere. Good quality bucks too, though you'll never shoot a big one if you fill your tag with the first scrub buck you see. Spend some time knocking on doors and getting to know the people around you will get you access. The last few years nuisance beaver and coon have gotten me hunting access. We have lots of both.

The Rochester area and south (Finger Lakes Region) as far as I'm concerned is a gold mine. Lots of state/public land with lots of fish and game. There is public access on all the Finger Lakes for some great fishing.

Lots of tourist spots and family things to do. Again, if you end up east of Buffalo/Lake Erie you WILL see snow. Get a snow machine. Don't bring your handguns. Store them with someone you trust, be a resident for a year then get your permit papers. Answer the questions TRUTHFULLY, get finger printed and your picture taken, submit the forms and wait 6 to 9 months. Then have the guns shipped FFL to FFL. My son and I waited 9 months, my two daughters 6.

Don't hesitate to PM me with questions.
Posted By: Lurp

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 04:28 PM

I grew up in NY state and left after High School. My parents, a sister and a lot of family still live there. They’re all currently looking to leave the state. Taxes have gotten really bad and the state govt is extremely progressive. The problem is the NYC area controls the laws and taxes for the whole state. NY also has some of the worst gun laws in the USA. I would recommend the Rocky Mountain west instead, it has better hunting, bigger mountains, more public land, better trapping opportunities (land trapping), less taxes and way better laws. Best of luck.

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 04:42 PM

Yea financial capital of the world ! Second behind Cali fir weirdos weather sucks politics suck taxes suck gun laws suck That’s lot of sucking !
Heck Ky might have its faults but I can go into 99.9 % places with a side arm Property is cheaper Crime rate is waaaayyy lower
No wait never mind about KY being a great state If you even think twice about going to NY we don’t want anyone with that thinking in this state

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 04:45 PM

Definitely don't come to Virginia . Crime is unreal. Taxes are out of this world. Soil is terrible. The deer are tiny with extra small racks.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
Do you say "crick" or "creek" ? smile

Hahaha grin
Posted By: whartonrattrappe

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Firemandivi
I have lived in NY my entire life and have to question why you would pick NY to start the next chapter of your life given the many what I would think better alternatives. So why NY?

Gun Laws: 10 round max. no standard ARs allowed unless you register them as an assault rife. Pistol permit will take close to a year to get and same 10 round limit. Every pistol has to be registered and on your pistol license which is a card you keep on you, takes about a month or two every time you add a pistol.

Where I live no Sheriff or State police will enforce the AR laws. Pistol permits have been taking 3 to 4 weeks here I know i just signed affidavits for a couple. Add a pistol to the permit? Take the receipt to sheriffs office and he adds it to your permit, go pick up pistol. EASY

Politics: Corrupt just like most other places. If your upstate and not around a city, most people are conservative, cities tend to be more liberal, probably the same for most states.

Taxes: Higher than most states, rent higher too. Looking into taxes for the location you want to move, I'm middle ground at just over $12,000 a year in taxes.

I live comfortable and my taxes are $820 a year land and school combined..

Schools: Most provide a good education for your kids if you have them, but they are also the driving force for your high taxes.

Hunting, fishing and trapping: Great, just have to watch out for non hunters and the general public is not a fan of trappers. Oh and always have all your paper work, as you will get stopped by the conservation officer or police officer checking for your license, even if its the free one required to fish for stripers in the Hudson.

Never saw a DEC officer when afield hunting, fishing, or trapping.

The Adirondacks are beautiful and so are the Catskills, just hard to find a good paying job to make ends meet in those areas.

Good luck and I'm really curious why you want to move to NY over just about anywhere else, besides California of course.

Here's just a few of the differences in the LOCATION of NY you live in. I trap 160 or more days a year, fishing year round, and while I'm not really fond of it you can hunt Deer for more than 3 months out of the year. ROW trapping, plenty of state land, tons of Stream access for fishing.

To each his own, I'm glad nobody wants to move here.

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Redknot

HA!! But we can hunt on Sundays!!! Sorry Bruce, I couldn't help myself!!

True grin
Posted By: charles

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 05:00 PM

You are the first person I know who might leave the South for NY. In the 40s and 50s after WWII, some people moved to Northern states for jobs, but not necessary in 2022.
Posted By: Firemandivi

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 05:00 PM

whartonrattrappe - what area do you live in NY, I'm in Orange County and those are my taxes, I can't imagine a house in NY with taxes under $1,000 a year. When I was in Plattsburgh I was stopped by the cops fishing multiple times while going for the small salmon run from lake Champlain and no I never saw Champy. As for the pistol, in Orange County you have to mail in the form with the check they then mail it back with your new pistol on the permit and it takes a minimum of a month. And the time for a pistol permit is from day one when you take the safety course till you get your permit. Maybe Orange is slower than other counties but that is my experience. If not for the politics NY would be a great state to live in.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 05:01 PM

Congrats on your move.
The further north the better.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 05:19 PM

I was born and lived in Upstate New York for 42 years. Remember State politics infect every area of the state. It’s a large country and anything that New York has can be found in other parts of the country without New York’s political baggage.

Good luck.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 05:25 PM

Doesn’t New York State have horrible gun laws?
Posted By: Dragger

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 05:27 PM

My condolences..

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
Doesn’t New York State have horrible gun laws?

Yes
Posted By: coyote 1

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 05:33 PM

I will say a prayer for you.

Someone mentioned it already, Hank Jr. Country boy can survive sums up my thoughts about New York accurately.

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Yea financial capital of the world ! Second behind Cali fir weirdos weather sucks politics suck taxes suck gun laws suck That’s lot of sucking !
Heck Ky might have its faults but I can go into 99.9 % places with a side arm Property is cheaper Crime rate is waaaayyy lower
No wait never mind about KY being a great state If you even think twice about going to NY we don’t want anyone with that thinking in this state

Typical response from someone who knows nothing about NY State outside of NYC. I carry concealed everywhere except NYC , federal and state buildings. I doubt you can carry in Federal and state facilities ? As far as real estate values, just like KY it depends on where the property is location, location, location. In NY There still large tracts of timberland/recreational land that can be had for $500/ acre. I’ll bet crime rates in rural NY are not any different than rural KY ? I’m sure KY is a great state and will not critique it because I know little about it other than you have given us that rino McConnell.

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 05:47 PM

whartonrattrappe - what area do you live in NY, I'm in Orange County and those are my taxes, I can't imagine a house in NY with taxes under $1,000 a year. When I was in Plattsburgh I was stopped by the cops fishing multiple times while going for the small salmon run from lake Champlain and no I never saw Champy. As for the pistol, in Orange County you have to mail in the form with the check they then mail it back with your new pistol on the permit and it takes a minimum of a month. And the time for a pistol permit is from day one when you take the safety course till you get your permit. Maybe Orange is slower than other counties but that is my experience. If not for the politics NY would be a great state to live in.

In the slums of Otsego county. lol
Posted By: henpecked1

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 06:14 PM

I grew up in upstate Ny, went in the military (RETIRED) visited over 50 countries, lived in AZ for about 20 years, i retired back in WESTERN NYS. When I left you had to have 5 people on a doe tag called a party permit, i now get two doe tags and a buck tag, if I want more i can get an archery tag. 4 deer per season for me and a bear tag. There were few turkey, now we have a lot. All beaver were tagged back then now we have a 6 month season there are so many. We now have alot of fisher and coyotes. Never saw an eagle when I was a kid now I can see one anytime I want. Fishing is great, walleye, musky and bass. lots of bullheads and pan fish. there is 3.8 million acres of public hunting grounds:

i came back because of quality medical care and access to trapping hunting and fishing. NYS has rules, follow them and life is good. Very strict on Hand guns and DUI. i find the law enforcement people excellent to work with and very professional. The COs here are highly trained professionals in public relations, conservation and the law: they recognize older people in the woods and make sure we are doing ok; they are trained to care and do an outstanding job.

Great organizations NYSTA, Erie County TA Catt county TA .............we even have Mark Zagger, Lots of local Rod and Guns also.

We do have lots of AMISH

Check out these links

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/chautauquacountynewyork

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28182.html

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7844.html

Table 1. Total Public Hunting Land Acres Available by State
State Total Land Acres (x1000) State Owned Acres (x1000)
Pennsylvania 28,635 3,657
New York 30,161 3,824
Arkansas 33,303 653
Missouri 43,995 1,030

Hope you adjust well, we are not New York City, they think we are hay seeds and apple knockers, maybe we are.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tofan
Things to be aware of. Whatever you do, do not bring a pistol with you. I am warning you again. Do not bring a pistol with you. The NY cops whether it's County or state patrol will pull you over just to check you out because of out of state plates. Get your concealed carry permit after a year of living there, most of NY is good about it in those parts.

You are a UNICORN !!!! Not in the way some may think . But RARE to find someone MOVING INTO the state of NY . Millions are moving out !!!

After tofan response sounds like an awesome place to visit but not live........

Getting pulled over for having out of state plates and having my vehicle searched for firearms sure doesn't make it sound like New York is an awesome place to visit it to me. I would not visit New York and I sure would not choose to live their. The fishing and other outdoor activities doesn't make up for having to deal with the liberal whackiness.

Keith

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by run
Definitely don't come to Virginia . Crime is unreal. Taxes are out of this world. Soil is terrible. The deer are tiny with extra small racks.

Deer or women ???
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 06:46 PM

The reason we left NY was the laws and regs., the taxes we could manage not the fools not so much!

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 07:06 PM

So as somebody from NY, who currently lives in Louisiana, I can answer that, maybe OP can as well. We always have in our mind that we are going to stay in Louisiana forever, but the great state continues to call in crazy ways man. The only states that we have found that offers as diverse of things to do is Washington State and Louisiana. The main problem here in Louisiana is that land is so expensive that it's tough to get anything of decent size where the really great parts are. The taxes are the thing that is really the holding us back factor, but you never know what will happen.

Also anybody who doesn't know....NY is the best state for buying land, has been for the past 3-4 years. Just saying. I have looked at a ton of different states, I think you would be hardpressed to find the caliber of land for the price anywhere else.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 07:10 PM

I'm thinking of moving to California. With all the Californians moving here, it's liable to be a nice place again here in a couple years.
Posted By: Tony1967

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 07:33 PM

I’ve lived in western NY my whole life and while the taxes suck, we have plenty of areas to hunt, fish and trap. We have mink, muskrats, red and grey fox, coyotes, bobcats, beaver, otter and fisher. Plenty of Whitetails and good amounts of public land. Fishing in this area is awesome for trout, salmon, bass, muskies, walleye, pike and crappies. Concealed carry and plenty of places to shoot. We aren’t NYC, as mentioned above. I’m in Allegany county, near Cuba. Look on google maps and tell me it ain’t rural.

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 07:38 PM

You can travel thru the state of New York with your guns so long as you are not going anywhere in that state to stay.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 08:00 PM

kbuck,
I know you didn't mention what the new chapter in your life is going to be, no need too, bit you've received a lot of good info from Squash, Tony1967, and other NYS residents that answered.

I also was born in Central NY and lived there for 53 years before a job change brought me to Illinois. the two states are similar in 3 ways: taxes, politics, and both run by liberals in major cities.

Aside from that I can't think of a state that I have visited that offers more outdoor potential than NY. It is diverse geographically and weather wise.

I have often said now that I am retired that if money was no object I would move back and live somewhere in the Finger Lakes region. Farther west in the state is also great.

Away from the cities NY is way more rural than most people realized. Ya, Cuba, NY is rural.

Be prepared for some big hills, everywhere.
Posted By: jk

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 08:21 PM

I live in Pa and we mainly fish NY. Until covid I had a NY trapping license every year. Have nothing but respect for the game wardens there, always helpful for us because we mainly chase the beaver and coon and they are everywhere. I trap with a 22 rifle and asked before we went the first time, no problems. We fish the finger lakes only 2 hours from here for the closest one and three hours for most of the rest. Have many friend all over the state and go to thier trap convention most every year. That is the good points, the bad, everyplace has bad points.......jk

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 08:31 PM

But Why NY???

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Squash

Typical response from someone who knows nothing about NY State outside of NYC. I carry concealed everywhere except NYC , federal and state buildings. I doubt you can carry in Federal and state facilities ? As far as real estate values, just like KY it depends on where the property is location, location, location. In NY There still large tracts of timberland/recreational land that can be had for $500/ acre. I’ll bet crime rates in rural NY are not any different than rural KY ? I’m sure KY is a great state and will not critique it because I know little about it other than you have given us that rino McConnell.

OMG you don't even want to compare McConnell to the einsteins that NY has given us !!!!! Please open that can of worms PLEASE PLEASE Lets see I'll name one and stop AOC BUt I can give you more of your great elected officials. How about the former GOV the grim reaper of the elderly . Heck it might be easier to name the "good politicians from there. But no wait can't .

Isn't the joker shumer from NY LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by run

I'm thinking of moving to California. With all the Californians moving here, it's liable to be a nice place again here in a couple years.

Me too.[/quote]
Lol.....I will pass
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 09:26 PM

You're moving to NY? Didn't you see the photos from the Tug Hills guys?????? wink grin

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
You're moving to NY? Didn't you see the photos from the Tug Hills guys?????? wink grin

I know jeez
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 09:36 PM

Welcome, I have lived in WNY my whole life. I've also traveled the USA quite a bit. Our hunting fishing and trapping is excellent. 4 seasons to enjoy yourself. All spaced out about equal. 2 great lakes to fish and the finger lakes just a short drive away. Cricks,rivers, swamps, hills, and farmland. White tail deer abound and trapping is excellent. NYC is 400 miles away. The countryside here is predominantly republican. The cities are where the Democrats mostly reside. Most of our countryside is farming. Grapes by lake Erie, fruit trees by lake Ontario, corn and produce everywhere. Cattauragus County and Erie county have excellent trappers organizations and I hope you join one. PM me and maybe I can answer some of your questions.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 09:49 PM

I grew up in southern New England and left when I was 22. It took me another 2 years to find my way to the south, and then I never left and never will. That was 45 years ago. I still have friends in rural northern New England and all I see is a continued interference by government in people's lives.

All I can say is "She must be some HOT woman." There are a lot of other places to live and make a good living and not have to put up with NY politics. East of the Mississippi Tn or Ky would be very good choices. Yes, you can make more money in NY, but it will cost much more to live there. Have you not been paying attention? People are leaving NY in droves. Good luck with your choice.

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by EdP
I grew up in southern New England and left when I was 22. It took me another 2 years to find my way to the south, and then I never left and never will. That was 45 years ago. I still have friends in rural northern New England and all I see is a continued interference by government in people's lives.

All I can say is "She must be some HOT woman." There are a lot of other places to live and make a good living and not have to put up with NY politics. East of the Mississippi Tn or Ky would be very good choices. Yes, you can make more money in NY, but it will cost much more to live there. Have you not been paying attention? People are leaving NY in droves. Good luck with your choice.

This ^^^
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 10:20 PM

I've only been to upstate NY when we went to Niagara Falls a few years ago. We took a day trip to the big state park there Letchworth or something like that. I know on the way there it reminded me of the rural areas of WI. Lots of rolling hills, dairy cows and agriculture. I liked that area we were in, reminded me of home. I don't know about moving there but to each his own.
I also live in a state that's mostly conservative unfortunately the big metro areas seem to control a lot of what goes and it's probably the same or a little worse in NY. From what I can see stay away from Buffalo, that seemed like a dump. I don't think Syracuse or Rochester are that great either. You NY guys are those liberal holes as well?

So why are you moving there? Is it a woman or a job? Just as well tell us. These guys will badger you until you do anyway. laugh
Good Luck.

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 10:36 PM

I live in the country here.I raise animals,,hunt and trap my own land and target practice right off my back deck.We also have a camp in the Adirondacks with 800 acres.I can pull out of my driveway and head in any direction,,and in a half an hour have my boat in the water.All the big cities suck,the taxes are high and our liberal politics suck also.Take the good with the bad. grin
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 10:45 PM

You can travel thru the state of New York with your guns so long as you are not going anywhere in that state to stay.

With most long guns this is true.

Not so with pistols and AR-15 platforms.

Only NYS residents with carry permits
may possess pistols within the state boundaries.

walleyed

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 10:51 PM

One thing I'll never understand is why people let politics cloud thier mind's. Sure I hate the state and national politics in general, but if you're living for you and your family as long as you're happy and comfortable who cares?

Find a place that suits you and do your own thing.

Most everyone who judges New York is really judging a 50 Mile radius around NYC. I could care less what people do there.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 10:53 PM

2X. I live within 20 mins of Black Lake and the St Lawrence River. Between my property and ny neighbor in the last 2 years I have trapped yotes, coon, weasel, red fox, bobcat, beaver, mink, rats, otter, and fisher.Left Ct. 42 years ago and couldn’t afford to go back. It’s what you make of it.

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 11:35 PM

Jbyrd, You are really making my point that you know little about NY State. NYC’s 8 million people elect the POC politicians you refer to, without the city they would not hold office. My representative is Elise Stefanik 21st district and the adjacent congressional district 22nd is
Claudia Tenny.
. Both have a R next to their names. But thanks again for rino McConnell. LOL
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Moving to NY - 02/23/22 11:53 PM

If you trap and live in a state where the liberal politicians rule all branches of state government, a good chance trapping will be gone in the future. Ask the trappers in New Mexico and California.
Posted By: Eyehi

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 01:12 AM

Don’t have much information about western ny but northern ny is a nice place to live…… here is a walleye I caught from the st Lawrence river tonight …… lots of outdoor opportunities in this state ….

Attached picture F6B91903-D3D2-4C6F-952A-E9FCFBFAFEB2.jpeg
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 02:09 AM

Fishing is poor, hunting is poor, trapping is terrible, oh and did I mention the taxes and the politics, I’ve been here 57 years, don’t plan on moving.i forgot to mention the snow, and the cold, and the Rain, and the BUGS......

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by newfox1
Fishing is poor, hunting is poor, trapping is terrible, oh and did I mention the taxes and the politics, I’ve been here 57 years, don’t plan on moving.i forgot to mention the snow, and the cold, and the Rain, and the BUGS......

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Folks I will warn anybody again, it doesn't even matter if another cop tells you this. If you are not a resident and have a pistol permit, do not bring your pistol, your magazine, do not even think about it. You would be better served to try it with an unmodified AK47, do it with a pistol, I promise you will get a felony if you get pulled over.
Posted By: furstroker

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 02:31 AM

Beautiful, ample outdoors, snow,
high taxes, miserable gun laws. Can't carry by their law.
I live a half hour away from the state line just below Lake
Erie and i avoid it like the plague.
Posted By: banchee

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 02:36 AM

great post i say come on up ! good to see all the posters who dont live here bash the state,i am born and raised in the adrondacks lived here my entire life cept for the 25 years i did in the army. i live now in jefferson county near ft drum. yes the weather is rough and gun laws are strict. but the state is almost all rural mountains and farm land endless forest. trapping is excellent for all species. hunting is also awesome.i have a pistol permit was no problem getting, my taxes are reasonable ,schools are good people are great,etc etc, if your going to trap we have beaver galore and tons of coyotes and muskrats fisher etc. worst thing is the long winters but i love it here and will die here drop me a line when you get here banchee

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by banchee
i have a pistol permit was no problem getting, my taxes are reasonable ,schools are good

I heard "pistol permits" take months if not a year to procure. What does that permit entail? Where can you carry?
Where can't you? Do you have to carry insurance for said permit?
I wouldn't bet on "good" schools either...every public school is getting their buttons pushed with woke bs...especially in ny.
Reasonable taxes...what's your definition of that?
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 03:10 AM

To bad I will never get to see the good parts of the state. I won't bash it I just won't travel to places I can't carry. To those that live there and like or thing the restrictions are OK. Well like Baco I guess you just don't know any better.

But what do I know. I don't understand how anyone can get buy without packing a pocket knife or two but plenty of people don't.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 03:13 AM

Go west young man
Posted By: Boco

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
To bad I will never get to see the good parts of the state. I won't bash it I just won't travel to places I can't carry. To those that live there and like or thing the restrictions are OK. Well like Baco I guess you just don't know any better.

But what do I know. I don't understand how anyone can get buy without packing a pocket knife or two but plenty of people don't.

I know a lot more than you think I do.

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 03:31 AM

packing a pocket knife or 2 ? who said you cant have a pocket knife? pistol permit was easy fill out aplication have a couple people vouch for you they do backgrond on you see if your a crimanl or not, took me about 5 months to get mine took my old lady about 9 months to get hers, as far as carring it we carry every where we go dont leave the homestead without it. no idea what your asking about insurance or what not.i agree the out of state brothers cant carry here and i do think thats wrong. banchee

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 03:53 AM

Something to ponder for all the naysayers... Don't you think the antis have worked long and hard to take away the things we love in NYS? While we've given some, more than any of us wanted, we're still in the game. As fast as change is coming to other parts of the country I'll take my chances.

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 03:55 AM

agreed wharton

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 04:02 AM

All you guys are making me feel homesick! Jefferson County near Ft Drum is where we were looking. Somebody post some salmon from the st Lawrence, Been a nice minute since I got some out of that river.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 04:07 AM

I live in the country here.

As if he needed another reason to not move there. laugh

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by banchee
packing a pocket knife or 2 ? who said you cant have a pocket knife? pistol permit was easy fill out aplication have a couple people vouch for you they do backgrond on you see if your a crimanl or not, took me about 5 months to get mine took my old lady about 9 months to get hers, as far as carring it we carry every where we go dont leave the homestead without it. no idea what your asking about insurance or what not.i agree the out of state brothers cant carry here and i do think thats wrong. banchee

On the knife I just find it odd when I meet guys that don't Cary a knife. But many don't. So pointing out many people are comfortable with things that would make me feel necked. Nothing about you laws.

I think our lifetime permits take 4 to 6 weeks to get back. And none of my guns are listed and I'm not limited to we what I can carry. I don't have any 10 round mags unless the gun can not hold more.

Boco you know a Ton no doubt. But I don't know what it's like to live in the bush any more than you know what it like to be able to own modern sporting rifles with standard capacity mags, or carry a handgun at all times just like a pocket knife. People get comfortable with what v they know and are used to. You don't feel restricted because you always have been. Since those restrictions are more severe than I'm used to I would not like them and would not be comfortable with them. Yet I still have restrictions I don't like but most are federal restrictions there. Not a shot at anyone just examples on how we are and why we react t he way we often do.

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 04:29 AM

I wouldn't move to NY for the same reason I wouldn't move to Illinois, Minnesota, Colorado, California, etc... Blue states where even the most rural and nicest locations are out voted at every turn by big city liberals. I don't see you ever gaining more freedoms and most likely losing the ones you have a little at a time.

PF I bet you are right, it would feel weird for some folks to walk around anywhere you want to go with a concealed pistol on your hip and no permit required, but that is how it is here and several other states with constitutional carry laws.

That said the OP never said, I missed it, why he is moving there and perhaps has a very credible reason for it.

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by whartonrattrappe
Something to ponder for all the naysayers... Don't you think the antis have worked long and hard to take away the things we love in NYS? While we've given some, more than any of us wanted, we're still in the game. As fast as change is coming to other parts of the country I'll take my chances.

Yall are fighting the good fight...no doubt. Good point.
Yer still keeping on and we all respect that.
It's absolutely gorgeous country and an abundance of
critters, the people are as good as anyone.
Some folks refuse to give up on their homeland no matter the political
leanings.
Me too in PA, but i still feel for you good guys in NY.
Posted By: mole

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 09:15 AM

You can come to NYSTA convention and meet ME

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by furstroker

Yall are fighting the good fight...no doubt. Good point.
Yer still keeping on and we all respect that.
It's absolutely gorgeous country and an abundance of
critters, the people are as good as anyone.
Some folks refuse to give up on their homeland no matter the political
leanings.
Me too in PA, but i still feel for you good guys in NY.

Thanks for the kind words.

Funny thing is my homeland is actually Mountaintop PA where of most of my close relatives and a few lifelong friends still live. When I was a kid that was a great place. When I visit now, I thank my parents on my return for bringing me to where I live now.

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 12:28 PM

Upstate NY is a beautiful place. The people seem to be friendly and they make maple syrup there.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 12:34 PM

When people are controlled by folks who cheer when they pass legal infanticide legislation, that just doesn't sound like a place for me. Now if upstate New York seceded from the rest of the state it sounds like a heck of a place to live.

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
I live in the country here.

As if he needed another reason to not move there. laugh

grin
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 01:43 PM

You don’t need a permit to conceal or open carry in Arkansas. Also, there is no blade limit to what knife you want to carry
Posted By: G Hose

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 03:11 PM

I visited Ny for the first time when I went to the NYTA “flea market” when almost every other convention had been canceled. I enjoyed the trip an the people at the convention. And the scenery along the way. I arrived late at the fairgrounds around 6 or so the first night. Went an found a room. The next day I messed around at the convention an talked with Dunlap an come to find out we was staying at the same motel/hotel which ever. An later that evening I went over an visited an the hotel. An spoke with him an is friend, can’t remember his name. But during the visit we got to talking about the gun laws. Tell you the truth I was nervous after hearing about the gun laws an the covid fines that was in place. The next morning I left like I had planned an was tickled when I hit the pa line. The gun laws is the only reason I will not be going back. I probably would still be in the pen if the pd would’ve stopped an searched me.
Now keep in mind this was during the time all the protesting was going on an they were in the hwys doing it. An they weren’t going to drag this ole boy out without a fight.

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by G Hose
I visited Ny for the first time when I went to the NYTA “flea market” when almost every other convention had been canceled. I enjoyed the trip an the people at the convention. And the scenery along the way. I arrived late at the fairgrounds around 6 or so the first night. Went an found a room. The next day I messed around at the convention an talked with Dunlap an come to find out we was staying at the same motel/hotel which ever. An later that evening I went over an visited an the hotel. An spoke with him an is friend, can’t remember his name. But during the visit we got to talking about the gun laws. Tell you the truth I was nervous after hearing about the gun laws an the covid fines that was in place. The next morning I left like I had planned an was tickled when I hit the pa line. The gun laws is the only reason I will not be going back. I probably would still be in the pen if the pd would’ve stopped an searched me.
Now keep in mind this was during the time all the protesting was going on an they were in the hwys doing it. An they weren’t going to drag this ole boy out without a fight.

Gun laws and cops enforcing them are two different things.When Cuomo came out with the New York Safe Act,,our County Sheriff publicly stated his department wound NOT be enforcing it because it was un constitutional.The New York State Troopers is a different animal.

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 03:43 PM

How would a person travel and not go thru the state of New York?

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Squash
Jbyrd, You are really making my point that you know little about NY State. NYC’s 8 million people elect the POC politicians you refer to, without the city they would not hold office. My representative is Elise Stefanik 21st district and the adjacent congressional district 22nd is
Claudia Tenny.
. Both have a R next to their names. But thanks again for rino McConnell. LOL

Your welcome !! Ole Mitch sure has done more for this country than any of the ones I named from your state. Heck I'll take mitch over of all your congressmen or senators. Your bragging about your rep. Who's your SENATOR ?? .

Oh yes thank you for giving us Hillary !!! Yea your state was DUMB enough to elect her in the only election she ever won !!! BOOM

AOC , Nadler ,Shummer Now that's a brain trust right there

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 04:09 PM

Your welcome !! Ole Mitch sure has done more for this country than any of the ones I named from your state. Heck I'll take mitch over of all your congressmen or senators. Your bragging about your rep. Who's your SENATOR ?? .

Oh yes thank you for giving us Hillary !!! Yea your state was DUMB enough to elect her in the only election she ever won !!! BOOM

Donald J Trump ring a bell?
Posted By: trapper red 315

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 04:13 PM

Is NY perfect, no
But is any other state perfect?
And was the movie deliverance based in a "northern " state such as NY?

As a truck driver I've been in many states east of the rockies
All have good points all have bad points

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 04:13 PM

When was he your senator. I must have slept thru that period. You are talking senators and congressmen correct ? You need to send him an apology letter he lost your state if I remember . Ky he won 90%

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by trapper red 315
Is NY perfect, no

Nope but lot of states More perfect than NY . You refer to a "movie" Heck that story line is every hour in the state of NY. Well according to the fox news but I'm sure they are just picking on the state of Ny

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 04:19 PM

^^^^ BAM,,for the WIN. smile

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by trapper red 315
Is NY perfect, no

Nope but lot of states More perfect than NY . You refer to a "movie" Heck that story line is every hour in the state of NY. Well according to the fox news but I'm sure they are just picking on the state of Ny

You Kintuck boys would never starve up here cause we got lots of Raccoons. grin

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 04:25 PM

lol

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 04:42 PM

grin lol
Posted By: G Hose

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 04:48 PM

Like I said, I will never be back, Or through the the state of Ny. I have no need to go through Ny to get to anywhere. But like I said, the gun laws was the only thing I didn’t like. Other than that it’s a great place.

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 05:30 PM

Ronald Reagan was from California . So does that make Cali a great state? Just asking . If Trump being from Ny makes it great then I guess the same applies to California . BAM !!!

Like I said you guys didn't even elect him. Shame on you . Apparently NYers aren't smart enough to recognize a good candidate. Ky was . just saying ...............

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 05:55 PM

Ronald Reagan was from California . So does that make Cali a great state? Just asking . If Trump being from Ny makes it great then I guess the same applies to California . BAM !!!

Like I said you guys didn't even elect him. Shame on you . Apparently NYers aren't smart enough to recognize a good candidate. Ky was . just saying ...............

My Lord Napolean...chill a little, maybe go mow your lawn or find something to complain to the HOA about laugh
Posted By: black beaver

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 06:10 PM

stay down south don't go to new york if you do you will see how bad it is and ya will turn back around and go the other way.

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 06:20 PM

Reagan signed the hues amendment. He can shove it. Makes since being he was from California now doesn't it.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 08:36 PM

ADC is correct, The OP has smartly never divulged the reason he/she is moving to western NY. Not really our business.

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 08:39 PM

BAM !!!

I already BAM,ed. You cant BAM my already BAM.Its right in the rules at the top of the page."No BAMing over someone elses BAM". grin

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 08:48 PM

Well,,we are smart enough not to eat Raccoons when we can eat New York Strip Steaks. grin

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 08:50 PM

2X

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 08:56 PM

New York goes all the way across from Canada to the ocean.A person from New England states has to go thru the state of New York.

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 09:25 PM

New York goes all the way across from Canada to the ocean.A person from New England states has to go thru the state of New York.

Not if you hadn't sold your canoe. laugh

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~

Not if you hadn't sold your canoe. laugh

Still have another canoe......lol that ocean water is a little rough for a canoe grin
Posted By: Crowfoot

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 09:49 PM

Lot of traveling can be done south and west of NY, IF you're on this side. You'd be stuck up there though .... and I wouldn't be able to make it to the Bernie / AOC rally .... dang it ! grin

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 09:55 PM

If I could only talk the wife into moving out west.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 10:05 PM

KY a 100X over NY!
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 11:17 PM

I thought it was a done deal and the only thing to decide was where. Haha, I guess she read your posts.

Re: Moving to NY - 02/24/22 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by white dog

I thought it was a done deal and the only thing to decide was where. Haha, I guess she read your posts.

Lol.....I mean live there full time.She has agreed to winters out there.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums