Home

Stocks - In or Out?

Posted By: Rockfarmer

Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 02:17 PM

Looks like its going to be a bear for a while, maybe a long while.
After what happened in 2020, Just curious.
Who is going to ride this one out and who is getting out or thinking about getting out.
Posted By: jk

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 02:21 PM

Yesterday I bought into some stuff. Of course I should have waited a day, but good prices on great stocks. Still have a little to spend but will wait and see.......jk
Posted By: white17

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 02:27 PM

As Nathan Mayer Rothschild said before the start of the Napoleonic wars........." Buy at the sound of cannons"
Posted By: Kre

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 02:37 PM

I ride these things out and buy if I can. Unfortunately, with everything being so expensive and being in the middle of remodeling project, I don't have a lot of spare cash laying around.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 02:59 PM

Buying and hanging on two scenarios this Ukraine thing gets settled and it is a big upswing, someone pushes the red button on a nuke what good is money.
Posted By: justjosh

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 03:25 PM

Staying in. Bought insurance (puts) yesterday.
Posted By: Seldom

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 03:47 PM

Always in, never out!

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by justjosh
Staying in. Bought insurance (puts) yesterday.

Good move !
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 03:51 PM

Just ride it out like before.

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 03:52 PM

seems like everyone is gonna ride it out.
I have pretty much the same view - been in it 27 years. Seen a lot of ups and downs. 08 and 2020 were tough to watch.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 03:55 PM

I shifted somethings to more secure options a couple months ago, now watching to see when i might shift part back to build on it some more.
Posted By: spjones

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 04:04 PM

For the folks not comfortable playing options

Uvxy is good hedge

Vxx is another

Not long term holds

Easy money in a falling market
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 04:06 PM

I cash some out first a down payment for a land deal that fell through. It was a good thing since I had health problems and was off work 4months last year and all of January this year. I would watch the trends and buy when the stocks I like hit the low point I was hoping for then hold tell it went back up. If I was sitting on cash.

But instead of buying/investing in stock I'm currently investing in infrastructure on the farm to make us more productive, and reduce time and money spent in the future. Example. 1 pay off rent house and turn that payment the renters are making into income. 2 install new fence for stock, then I can make eat for free and generate more income. 3 install solar electric reduce or eliminate the electric bill giving piece of mind and security.

It's a lot of up front cost with a long time for financial return on investment and I could make a higher return on other investments most likely. But reduction of bills means I need less income leaving more for investments latter or making it easier to live if I would loose my job or if my health would get bad again. Piece of mind knowing if I get my plans in place we could live on a very small income if needed. That means a lot. I guess if I had a large bank account the filling would be the same I would just be more reliant on paying others to do things.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 04:08 PM

Got a question for any of you guys. If you had 100,000 dollars today what would you do with it. Serious question. I have an annuity paying out in 6 days. Talked to a broker and may just be them but way too much in fees for me.

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by spjones
For the folks not comfortable playing options

Uvxy is good hedge

Vxx is another

Not long term holds

Easy money in a falling market

Lots of volume for this early in the day
Posted By: Mark McCary

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 04:13 PM

I'm out! Got out last week not going to risk 3 more years with the Knuckle Heads running this country now!!! I would much rather have paid for farm ground especially during high inflation.

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 04:14 PM

I play uvxy often

Perfect for these events

Again, only short term

Very short
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 04:15 PM

My most interesting watchlist for the day, seeing the younger generation get interested today because they hear of market dips and they go back to these stocks.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: corky

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 04:23 PM

Just added to some positions. Might be a little premature but they are long term holdings and it's tough to time perfectly.

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mark McCary
I'm out! Got out last week not going to risk 3 more years with the Knuckle Heads running this country now!!! I would much rather have paid for farm ground especially during high inflation.

Good Point!

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
I cash some out first a down payment for a land deal that fell through. It was a good thing since I had health problems and was off work 4months last year and all of January this year. I would watch the trends and buy when the stocks I like hit the low point I was hoping for then hold tell it went back up. If I was sitting on cash.

But instead of buying/investing in stock I'm currently investing in infrastructure on the farm to make us more productive, and reduce time and money spent in the future. Example. 1 pay off rent house and turn that payment the renters are making into income. 2 install new fence for stock, then I can make eat for free and generate more income. 3 install solar electric reduce or eliminate the electric bill giving piece of mind and security.

It's a lot of up front cost with a long time for financial return on investment and I could make a higher return on other investments most likely. But reduction of bills means I need less income leaving more for investments latter or making it easier to live if I would loose my job or if my health would get bad again. Piece of mind knowing if I get my plans in place we could live on a very small income if needed. That means a lot. I guess if I had a large bank account the filling would be the same I would just be more reliant on paying others to do things.

Good point also!
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 04:49 PM

Is Gold a strong buy?

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rockfarmer
Originally Posted by Mark McCary

Good Point!

But with low interest rates would it be better to have a lone and paying interest that's less than inflation? Paying it back with money that worth way less than the money you borrowed!

Yes I'm working on getting back to debt free but struggling with the above concept. I also struggle with thi idea of 0% to buy farm equipment.
Posted By: martyd

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 05:01 PM

I am 63 in Sept. I waited to long to get out. I am down 15% since Jan1 in my 401k. We are going to see some dark days ahead of us. But in 3 years ( if we can last that long as a nation) the country will come back. Problem is for us older folks the horse has left the barn. Unbelievable what has happen in the last 13 months in this country. MD
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Got a question for any of you guys. If you had 100,000 dollars today what would you do with it. Serious question. I have an annuity paying out in 6 days. Talked to a broker and may just be them but way too much in fees for me.

Have you considered buying Ford stock ?

whistle

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon

Or that could even buy a single quad cab decked out f350 4x4. wink going to need something to pull those horses around with.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 05:05 PM

grin wink

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by martyd
I am 63 in Sept. I waited to long to get out. I am down 15% since Jan1 in my 401k. We are going to see some dark days ahead of us. But in 3 years ( if we can last that long as a nation) the country will come back. Problem is for us older folks the horse has left the barn. Unbelievable what has happen in the last 13 months in this country. MD

This is my main concern. I about 4.5 - 5 years away from drawing out of my retirement.

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 05:24 PM

All those fund managers and individual investors that bought into the ESG/green energy hype, selling all their energy plays must be hyperventilating about now

Feel bad for the folks the rely on those funds

A lot of retired folks are going too get hurt

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon

whistle

No I think I'll start a fur company ,have people send me tons of inventory at their expense . Hold sales then file bankruptcy so I don't have to pay anyone . Then claim the fur didn't sale or it was bought back. Sale some at private treaty , under the table , back room powwow , what ever the term you want to use. Pay myself and my family out of the sale proceeds and sit back in my big cabin and read about it on a trapping forum...

Or has that ideal already been taken ?????
grin whistle cool
Posted By: Computer Hater

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 06:07 PM

Send it to me. I will send you a monthly report on how I have invested your money for you and how much money I have made for you ( or lost ). Don't pay any attention to the Honolulu postmark on the report.
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 06:12 PM

I'm buying a dividend growth fund.
Posted By: bodycount

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 06:21 PM

Our market could fall 50% as long as this idiot is in the White house. Russia's market has already fallen 50% today. I hate to sell low. If anything buy more if there is a meltdown. My plan is to wait out the next three years but something has to give before then. The mid terms this fall could shake things up for the good. The moon and stars need to line up.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 06:22 PM

Buy and Hold.

VTSAX-whole stock market low cost index fund

I am 20 to 25 yrs from retirement though.

JL Collins simple path to wealth is my strategy
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 06:24 PM

in this order...

pay off any debts (I'm 100% debt free)

setup emergency fund of 6 months

invest in low cost index funds (Max out ROTH, HSA, TRAD IRA, then brokerage acct)

single stocks would be the last thing I would buy right now

Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by ILcooner
Buy and Hold.

VTSAX-whole stock market low cost index fund

I am 20 to 25 yrs from retirement though.

JL Collins simple path to wealth is my strategy

I'm going vdigx
Posted By: OKforester

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 06:47 PM

No I think I'll start a fur company ,have people send me tons of inventory at their expense . Hold sales then file bankruptcy so I don't have to pay anyone . Then claim the fur didn't sale or it was bought back. Sale some at private treaty , under the table , back room powwow , what ever the term you want to use. Pay myself and my family out of the sale proceeds and sit back in my big cabin and read about it on a trapping forum...

Or has that ideal already been taken ?????
grin whistle cool

Too soon jbyrd!
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 07:13 PM

Just got a big payment from a customer that I've been waiting for for a few months. So I'm buying more of the stuff I just lost money on. Stock market is having a fire sale today.

In 2008 I got out just as the crash was happening. I didn't loose as much as everybody else. But I didn't see the recovery coming so I missed the ride up and ended up worse off than every body else. I'm riding this one out all the way down and then all the way back up. Yee Haw!

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by ILcooner
in this order...

pay off any debts (I'm 100% debt free)

setup emergency fund of 6 months

invest in low cost index funds (Max out ROTH, HSA, TRAD IRA, then brokerage acct)

single stocks would be the last thing I would buy right now

First 2 are done. Been debt free for 3 years now. Thanks for info

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 08:54 PM

Green finish

Nice!
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 08:58 PM

Green finish

Nice!

Be interesting to see what tomorrow brings. I bought a little bit of HAL and DB today.

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 09:02 PM

Green finish

Nice!

Rothschild was right again ! laugh
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
Just got a big payment from a customer that I've been waiting for for a few months. So I'm buying more of the stuff I just lost money on. Stock market is having a fire sale today.

In 2008 I got out just as the crash was happening. I didn't loose as much as everybody else. But I didn't see the recovery coming so I missed the ride up and ended up worse off than every body else. I'm riding this one out all the way down and then all the way back up. Yee Haw!

Me too, giddeee up!

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 09:05 PM

Wild ride today. Did buy a few shares. Couldn't help myself.
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/24/22 09:24 PM

X2 White17. I am new to this. 3 yrs of investing. There was a fella on hear that suggested to paper trade. It helped me understand long investing vs short. Someone asked if you had 100,000.00. Where would you put it. I can’t answer that for you. But my paper trade can tell you where you would sit today. I like MRO. I understand it. I bought 100,000.00 share of MRO on 12/15/2021. @ 14.73. This morning MRO was trading between 21.00 to 22.00. For the young investors. Now is not the time to pull out of the market. White17 quoted. Start buying at the sound of the cannon. That saying and many others hold a lot of truth. Stay forward. Stay focused. Stay for the long. Good Luck everyone
Posted By: dixieland

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/25/22 03:33 AM

I have found it effective to buy stock at highs to prevent the temptation of selling for profit. It's a handy technique that I've learned.
Posted By: furstroker

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/25/22 03:36 AM

When the bullets fly it's time to buy.
I'm not a trader but it makes sense to move to defense
and wound-care.
Posted By: Pirogue

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/25/22 04:28 AM

$20,000 in freeze dried foods and $80,000 in ammo
Posted By: trapperEd

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/25/22 04:37 AM

Ford Stock ?
Now Way.
I bought some 20 some years ago and am still in the hole.

Bought OIL when it was cheap .... can retire off of that laugh
Posted By: jk

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/25/22 12:29 PM

Bought 5 stocks two days ago = WOW. All are up big time except square. Will soon be selling calls on them. My pattern is 10% up and at least 1% premium. LLY is already up that 10% so the call will be in dollars and not cents. And I thought that I bought to soon.......jk Pays to go fishing once in a while
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Stocks - In or Out? - 02/26/22 04:01 AM

As a long term investor that holds onto my investments I thank God every day for those that trade often to create the markets. I don't come close to making what the astute calculated risk takers can make but the average over the last 42 years of being into the market has been OK.

Bryce
© 2024 Trapperman Forums