Home

Photo Phriday 33

Posted By: Gulo

Photo Phriday 33 - 03/04/22 03:25 PM

I'm always looking for craft items that use natural resources close at hand. It's been too cold for making trapper knives (at least that's my excuse), and I have been intrigued for a couple months with making some pine-needle baskets I've seen on youtube. Just got a box of ponderosa pine needles as the snow started to disappear, and tried making a basket. Obviously, will take some more work. The handles on the sides are Randy Shuff-tanned beaver tail leather. This first attempt is about 4.5 inches long by about 2.5 inches tall. I'll keep trying. Any of you out there into making small craft items?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/04/22 03:26 PM

Nice job.Impressive
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/04/22 03:27 PM

That's Amazing Work to me because of the talent and Patience.
Extremely Nice

I make a few Items.
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/04/22 03:46 PM

Very nice,here’s a few tanned furs,the cherry red I got back yesterday from Moyles [Linked Image]

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/04/22 07:08 PM

Nice-looking furs Rick. Sure like the color on that new red. Too, that's sure a handsome whitetail. We got nice elk and muleys, but our whitetails don't get that big very often in this part of the state.

Jack

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/04/22 07:09 PM

Nice looking furs

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/04/22 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by rick olson
Very nice,here’s a few tanned furs,the cherry red I got back yesterday from Moyles [Linked Image]

Awesome Room
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/04/22 08:14 PM

Beautiful fur , Rick.

Jack, what an intricate, lovely basket. You will have to find a nice place to display it. Your talents are never ending.
Posted By: D.T.

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/04/22 09:36 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Some for me. Some for friends and family
Posted By: Range

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/04/22 10:06 PM

Cool pictures.
Photo Phriday from a couple weeks ago with the trail cam pictures reminded me of these photos I thought some of you might find interesting. I wish I could have gotten a trail camera here but I didn’t. There was a lot of sign of critters using this spot. Anyway a local rancher had wolves get after a band of sheep one night and they ended up piling up a bunch.
Here’s what it looked like.
[Linked Image]

This is what it looked like the next year. Lots of bleached bones and still a little stink.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here’s what it looked like last summer which is 7 years later.
[Linked Image]
It was a little hot there for a while but it is starting to grow some vegetation now. Most of the bones have disappeared now. I try to stop by this spot whenever I get close by to see what it looks like.

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/04/22 10:12 PM

D.T. - Those quivers are beautiful! You, sir, are an artist extraordinaire. Many thanks for posting. Your post reminds me of a true friend I lost several years ago who was a bowyer of the old school and a craftsman and ultimate hunter. Makes me miss my buddy Bart.

Jack

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/04/22 10:25 PM

Holding up a glass for Bart. Cheers

Dean

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/04/22 10:36 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If i didnt just finish this an hour ago i wouldnt post it but it is a simple and useful little tool. Wood is pauduk. Its called a spider and helps measure the cutter teeth positions on crosscut saws. Ive been tuning one of my favorite saws and decided to make a spider that was crafted by me. I like making everything. Blessing and a curse
Posted By: Machias

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/04/22 11:08 PM

Very cool!

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/04/22 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Range
Cool pictures.
Photo Phriday from a couple weeks ago with the trail cam pictures reminded me of these photos I thought some of you might find interesting. I wish I could have gotten a trail camera here but I didn’t. There was a lot of sign of critters using this spot. Anyway a local rancher had wolves get after a band of sheep one night and they ended up piling up a bunch.
Here’s what it looked like.
[Linked Image]

This is what it looked like the next year. Lots of bleached bones and still a little stink.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here’s what it looked like last summer which is 7 years later.
[Linked Image]
It was a little hot there for a while but it is starting to grow some vegetation now. Most of the bones have disappeared now. I try to stop by this spot whenever I get close by to see what it looks like.

Nice looking area.
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/05/22 12:43 AM

[Linked Image]

Using an excavator at the feedlot to scratch ground corn loose, so it doesn't bury the front end loader they use to load the feed mixer.

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/05/22 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by D.T.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Some for me. Some for friends and family

Very very cool
Posted By: caldwellite

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/05/22 02:34 AM

Range you missed catching Batman in the last photo.
Posted By: bowhunterks

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/05/22 02:39 AM

[Linked Image]

Trying my hand at hooping a beaver.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/05/22 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Marty B
[Linked Image]

Using an excavator at the feedlot to scratch ground corn loose, so it doesn't bury the front end loader they use to load the feed mixer.

How many bushels? LOL!

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/05/22 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by bowhunterks
[Linked Image]

Trying my hand at hooping a beaver.

Nice job.

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/05/22 03:01 AM

grinnice
Posted By: DavidInMT

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/05/22 04:21 AM

Wow, you're very talented, Dean. Awesome, functional artwork!

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/21/22 12:03 AM

Hope everything is well with you Jack I miss your photo Phriday!
Posted By: bandy

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/21/22 12:40 AM

[Linked Image]
A little drawing of mine.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/21/22 12:59 AM

Trapper Ron's wife makes some fine needle baskets that go to the BC Conventions
but I always forget what BC really stands for- " Bring Cash"
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/21/22 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by bandy
[Linked Image]
A little drawing of mine.

That’s really good bandy
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/21/22 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Gulo
I'm always looking for craft items that use natural resources close at hand. It's been too cold for making trapper knives (at least that's my excuse), and I have been intrigued for a couple months with making some pine-needle baskets I've seen on youtube. Just got a box of ponderosa pine needles as the snow started to disappear, and tried making a basket. Obviously, will take some more work. The handles on the sides are Randy Shuff-tanned beaver tail leather. This first attempt is about 4.5 inches long by about 2.5 inches tall. I'll keep trying. Any of you out there into making small craft items?

[Linked Image]

Coushatta Indians in this area use long leaf pine needles to make baskets and such. They’re very good at what they do, although yours looks very nice as well. I like the beaver leather, although I must admit I’m partial to beaver stuff

Re: Photo Phriday 33 - 03/22/22 12:49 AM

Has anyone heard from Jack lately?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums