Home

Young folks ZERO common sense...

Posted By: jbyrd63

Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/07/22 11:34 PM

Was at Kroger a few minutes ago. They have 24 pack of bottled water for 1.77 a pack. 40 count was 4.79 Some guy looked around 30 had a 40 oz pack in his buggy . THEY ARE Displayed right next to each other. I told him he could get 2 of the 24 count for around 1.25 cheaper and get 8 more bottles. BLANK stare !!! So I tried to make it simple. You can get 48 bottles for 3.54 or you can get 40 bottles for 4.79 He looked like he was lost in the desert. His words " I get more in the 40 pack so it's the better buy " I just said " you have a great evening"

Can't fix stupid..
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/07/22 11:41 PM

Next time talk to him like a modern adult.... "Hey, how's the Call of Duty, Black Ops, Cold War shooting and fighting breaking down?"
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/07/22 11:42 PM

And the people who wrapped the 40 pack know this and price accordingly...
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/07/22 11:44 PM

He's trying to stimulate the economy.
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/07/22 11:46 PM

I see this all the time. I can't believe the people that don't check prices and take advantage of sales. I love clearance aisles too, sometimes a bit much.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/07/22 11:51 PM

Always look at the price per amount on the tag not total price.Ussually on the upper left hand corner of price tag.
Posted By: uglyduck

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/07/22 11:53 PM

well Jbyrd you can't all of them, maybe next time,
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/07/22 11:56 PM

There maybe a light on but its too dim to see!
Posted By: Oleo Acres

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/07/22 11:57 PM

yeah,or drink tap water for 1.60 for a hundred gallons,lol
Posted By: G Hose

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 12:05 AM

People look at me funny when I whip out the calculator on my cellular device in the beer isle. Bout got the math down pat by now
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by seniortrap
There maybe a light on but its too dim to see!

The light is on but nobody is home.
..lol
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 12:36 AM

How original, another “back in my day” thread. These same stories were being told about YOU once upon a time.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Was at Kroger a few minutes ago. They have 24 pack of bottled water for 1.77 a pack. 40 count was 4.79 Some guy looked around 30 had a 40 oz pack in his buggy . THEY ARE Displayed right next to each other. I told him he could get 2 of the 24 count for around 1.25 cheaper and get 8 more bottles. BLANK stare !!! So I tried to make it simple. You can get 48 bottles for 3.54 or you can get 40 bottles for 4.79 He looked like he was lost in the desert. His words " I get more in the 40 pack so it's the better buy " I just said " you have a great evening"

Can't fix stupid..

it really isn't new

look up a&w hamburger math
A&W advertised a 1/3 pound burger for the same price as McDonald's 1/4 pounder.

but they didn't sell , more advertising and they still didn't sell hardly

now an A&W is a superior burger in every way

well some market research determined the problem , people thought a 1/4 was more than a 1/3

so circa 1982 people still didn't understand math or fractions
Posted By: Marty

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 01:07 AM

lots of folks are just dumb axxes. some nfl player is trapped in ukraine with his wife, wants to get out but cannot....how stupid can someone B.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 01:13 AM

the real funny part of the op's story is that the bottled water guy is on facebook/twitter telling everyone about the dumb old guy he met today.

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 01:13 AM

I don't know of any NFL player in the Ukraine. I do know on Fox this morning they had a player for the Bengals on there along with his wife who is from the Ukraine. They are trying to get her mother out of there. That might be what you're talking about. The Bengals player and his wife seemed like decent people and well spoken. I hope they can get her mother out safely.
Posted By: We-Sa

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 01:14 AM

it really isn't new

look up a&w hamburger math
A&W advertised a 1/3 pound burger for the same price as McDonald's 1/4 pounder.

but they didn't sell , more advertising and they still didn't sell hardly

now an A&W is a superior burger in every way

well some market research determined the problem , people thought a 1/4 was more than a 1/3

so circa 1982 people still didn't understand math or fractions [/quote]

Wait a minute here, 4 is bigger than 3 right so the mcnasty has to be a better buy.

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 01:17 AM

Thanks GCP now I want a Big Pappa triple burger from A&W, cheese curds and a root beer float. Lancaster and Boscobel are 35 miles away so I guess I'll go without.
Posted By: coyote 1

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 01:21 AM

Well they do teach common core math now which makes no sense to me. 10 steps to reach a conclusion I can do mentally.

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Badger23
Thanks GCP now I want a Big Pappa triple burger from A&W, cheese curds and a root beer float. Lancaster and Boscobel are 35 miles away so I guess I'll go without.

I think the Lancaster A&W is the cleanest nicest A&W or fast food restaurant for that matter I have ever been in.
been a few years since I was there so I suppose it could have changed.

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by coyote 1
Well they do teach common core math now which makes no sense to me. 10 steps to reach a conclusion I can do mentally.

the theory is if you learn all the incredibly simplified steps you can break down any problem later on in algebra

in reality people either do as you do and work it in their head till they can't then are stuck on polynomials or some where before that.

or they toss their hands up do the minimum to be passed along in school and then somehow live with out any proper math
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 01:38 AM

Onother Star Buds regular.
Posted By: Mark K

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by coyote 1

the theory is if you learn all the incredibly simplified steps you can break down any problem later on in algebra

in reality people either do as you do and work it in their head till they can't then are stuck on polynomials or some where before that.

or they toss their hands up do the minimum to be passed along in school and then somehow live with out any proper math

I have used algebra exactly one time since I got out of school. It was the most basic algebra that is possible. All of that headache was a waste of time.

My sister will line up the bottles of shampoo at the store and get the one with 1 mm more in it than the others. I know other people who do that too. I use my calculator all of the time when shopping. I don'y usually care about 2.1¢ vs 1.9¢ per oz but I do care about 23.8¢ vs 35.6¢. Especially when it is a big package vs a smaller one.
Posted By: amspoker

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 02:22 AM

I'm sorry you y'all have to buy your water jbyrd, it springs out of the ground for free up here. grin
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 02:23 AM

That’s pretty sweet if y’all have springs everywhere. Need to get a portable one for my truck.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by amspoker
I'm sorry you y'all have to buy your water jbyrd, it springs out of the ground for free up here. grin

Yea up there it probably has a turd in it Bottles just fit in my fridge in my building better than solo cup Plus pack really well in my boat cooler. I’m sure none of you ever buy bottled water but it is pretty convenient Heck I even saw a video of our troops using it Why don’t you tell one about running water when you see one

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 03:07 AM

Yea up there it probably has a turd in it Bottles just fit in my fridge in my building better than solo cup Plus pack really well in my boat cooler. I’m sure none of you ever buy bottled water but it is pretty convenient Heck I even saw a video of our troops using it Why don’t you tell one about running water when you see one

Just teasing buddy wink
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 03:27 AM

You know they make refillable water bottles, lol. I thought you were just complaining about people using too much plastic? LOL
Posted By: hippie

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 03:33 AM

That bottled water tastes like pool water smells.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 03:36 AM

grin
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 04:32 AM

Not so much common sense as simple math, but as stated above this is not just a recent younger thing at all. I have worked with hundreds of people that bought lots of expensive items based on the fact that interest rates when from 7-5% and not knowing that it was the principle being paid that was the big deal. Or They would get a lot of over time for extended period, say 6 months and spend a lot more and then wonder how to pay for it later. The other one was No payments for 6 months or a year, like they thought they were getting something for free. We have millions in the world that are surviving their poor math skills or their laziness of not even trying to do the math.

Bryce

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by bblwi
Not so much common sense as simple math, but as stated above this is not just a recent younger thing at all. I have worked with hundreds of people that bought lots of expensive items based on the fact that interest rates when from 7-5% and not knowing that it was the principle being paid that was the big deal. Or They would get a lot of over time for extended period, say 6 months and spend a lot more and then wonder how to pay for it later. The other one was No payments for 6 months or a year, like they thought they were getting something for free. We have millions in the world that are surviving their poor math skills or their laziness of not even trying to do the math.

Bryce

just think if people had good math skills and were smart with percents and interest , Pawn Shops might not even exist.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 01:28 PM

Hey amspoker, at my place here in East Tennessee we have some of the best spring and well water around anywhere, but unfortunately my well water I have in Morgan County Ohio is horrible. Of course I'm sitting 20ft off the Muskingum river and the well is only 30ft deep. But in the area where I'm at up there alot of the people have to haul water in. Do you have pretty good water where your at? My well in Tennessee is 500ft
Posted By: Kansas Rook

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 01:39 PM

I wish it were just the young people with no common sense, and I wish it were just the price of water on which it had bearing.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce T
Always look at the price per amount on the tag not total price.Ussually on the upper left hand corner of price tag.

And most of the price stickers on the shelf near the item have the price of the item plus the price per pound.Price per pound label makes it quite easy to tell what package is the better deal.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 01:55 PM

I have also seen people grab only one package of "buy one get one free" items. crazy
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 02:03 PM

I can imagine the next conversation he has with his wife, "Honey, you wont believe this but a trapper was just trying to give me financial advice, smh".

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Diggerman
I can imagine the next conversation he has with his wife, "Honey, you wont believe this but a trapper was just trying to give me financial advice, smh".

now you think he can recognize a trapper !

probably went home and said this weird old guy kept trying to tell me 24 twice was was less than 40
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 02:23 PM

Buying water is the bigger head scratcher. Not a fan a banning things but I would have no problem with plastic sacs and bottles going away permanently.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 02:34 PM

Old folks have ran our national debt up to 30 trillion. They aren't very good at math either.

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Michigander
Old folks have ran our national debt up to 30 trillion. They aren't very good at math either.

they have a lot in common with the young folks in our streets and prisons , neither expected to be alive this long and neither one wants to pay.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 03:08 PM

And we keep re-electing the idiots in Washington and at the state level that continue to get rich off our taxes.

And the ones who really profit from that "DON'T CARE"! mad

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by RM trapper
Hey amspoker, at my place here in East Tennessee we have some of the best spring and well water around anywhere, but unfortunately my well water I have in Morgan County Ohio is horrible. Of course I'm sitting 20ft off the Muskingum river and the well is only 30ft deep. But in the area where I'm at up there alot of the people have to haul water in. Do you have pretty good water where your at? My well in Tennessee is 500ft

Overall it's pretty decent around here. I have a good well at my place, only run out of water when I leave the hose run. Post neighbors on either side of me have good developed springs, one is at my dad's place that never ran out in the 40 years that he's lived there. We're in Guernsey County.
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce T

Stores fake those all the time.
Always do your own math.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/08/22 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by Michigander

they have a lot in common with the young folks in our streets and prisons , neither expected to be alive this long and neither one wants to pay.

The old people, me included, had better hope the youth are willing to pay for the debt and promises that the previous generations made to themselves.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/09/22 12:39 AM

Probably gonna use the water to wash the taste of the Tide Pods out of his mouth! LOL
Posted By: Mark K

Re: Young folks ZERO common sense... - 03/09/22 01:07 AM

I just came back from the store to pick up a few things. The little 18 year old idiot tried to stuff one of my loaves of bread into a bag that was already overfull. I called him out on it. He told me "You don't talk to me that way." I said Yes I do. Then I yelled out "Can we get a manager over here?" One came and the little xxxxxxx tried to lie. I called him out on that too. The manager kicked him out and finished with me. I told her that I didn't mean to sound like an A-hole, but you just can't cram people's bread or eggs like that and not expect them to get ticked off. She understood.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums