Home

Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs...

Posted By: Macthediver

Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/19/22 05:22 PM

I know there was a post sometime back about different ways to peel eggs. I didn't want to high jack the pickled eggs post just bit ago. So here is a new post about peeling Hard Boiled Eggs.
As I posted on the pickled eggs post. It was just odd timing that I had smoked and pickled some eggs my self.
That all got me thinking about the past peeling eggs post.
Right before I did my smoked eggs. One them DYI internet hack post popped up on my FB. It was peeling Hard Boiled Eggs by shaking in water. I don't know how to post the YouTube link I watched. I tried the method I watched and I only did 4 dozen eggs. So I guess I can't say that is a real solid evaluation. It did seem to work for the most and I will be trying it again in future.
I put my hard boiled egg in coffee cup with about inch water. Put my hand over cup and shook it. Have to say I got so I could actually tell when shell was off the egg. At least on one where it came right off. There were a few eggs that still didn't give up their shells so easy. I don't think though that I goofed up as many as would have just peeling them.

Guess I don't recall in the old post what was the decided best method to peel eggs was.

4 dozen hard boiled eggs peel by shaking in water.
[Linked Image]

The few that didn't come out the best. Had issues with.
[Linked Image]

Two dozen eggs in smoker
[Linked Image]

Two dozen smoked eggs in pickle juice.
[Linked Image]

After 5 day soak... Smoked pickled egg with lunch ..yum yum!
[Linked Image]

My wife even tried a bite of one and said was good. So could probably be good for anyone likes pickle eggs and smoke things.

Mac
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/19/22 05:30 PM

Any secrets to smoking eggs ?
Or just google any basic recipe ?
Looks great .
Lots of eggs available right now.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/19/22 07:07 PM

I steam the farm fresh eggs…20 minutes with cover….then cool eggs in cold water ( couple times) …shells slide right off [Linked Image]
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/19/22 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dillrod
Any secrets to smoking eggs ?
Or just google any basic recipe ?
Looks great .
Lots of eggs available right now.

I'm guessing because of Easter with all hard-boiled eggs. Is probably why I always got in habit doing things with them this time year.
I really don't have any secret to smoking them or like set recipe.
I just smoked these for 4 hours at temp probably between 100 and 150. I'm just guessing at that because that's where my smoker tends to run in cooler weather. I use oak and some maple because that's what I have that's free. I did 4 hours on these because I had cheese in colder smoke for same time. Depends on what you like for smoke. But 2hours probably be enough for some people.
The pickling recipe is same one I use for fish. Only I don't do a brine soak with eggs like do raw fish.

It was peeling eggs part always found frustrating.

Mac
Posted By: Quartermastersir

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/19/22 07:26 PM

I let my wife do them-perfect every time-have NO idea how.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/19/22 07:29 PM

Looks good.
Posted By: KsTrapper88

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/19/22 07:53 PM

Instant pot, works good, I’ve never had eggs peel so easily as they do after being cooked in the instant pot.

That’s really interesting trick shaking them, I’m going to have to look up that video now.
That jar of smoked pickled eggs looks amazing
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/19/22 07:55 PM

Yup...Instapot is the trick. If they are brown after peeling they cooked too long.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/19/22 07:55 PM

My secret to smoking eggs is not to overdo it. I do mine, already peeled, in cold smoke for about an hour. Expose them to too much heat or for too long results in a rubbery outer layer.

To cook and peel

Steam them for 11 minutes. You could boil them for that time, but steaming is much simpler. Immerse them immediately out of the steamer into ice water. Pull them out of the ice water after they have cooled. This separated the hold of the membrane to the egg white. Tap them three times on each end, again three times around the circunference. Start with breaking the air pocket. As I always say; The shells come off like a prom dress.

As a side point don't do this in WV, as you might scare the neighbors. (Sorry, Cathryn)
Posted By: dakidsmn

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/19/22 08:09 PM

Old eggs peal way better than a fresh egg. We buy 5 dozen at a time. Half sit in the fridge for a month before we boil them.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/19/22 08:16 PM

I just boil and after about 10 minutes boiling take butter knife and Crack each egg shell while it in pot boiling. Boil another 10 minutes. Always peels real easy.
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/19/22 08:26 PM

Thx for the reply.
I'm going to try it next week.

Large pot rolling boil 1 minute.
Turn off heat and covered 12 min on timer.
Remove quickly to cold water bath , ice added.

Peels easily after cool
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/19/22 08:40 PM

Insta pot works 100%. Never had one not peel, if you're careful you can keep the shell in one piece. Mike
Posted By: VH60

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/19/22 09:16 PM

How do you cook them in the insta pot ? What setting do you use ?

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/19/22 09:22 PM

https://omnivorescookbook.com/instant-pot-eggs/
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/19/22 09:23 PM

Smoked and pickled look good. Might have to try it.

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/19/22 09:29 PM

For some reason I have to have a glass of drink handy when eating a hardboiled egg. The yolk can really gum up the GI tract!
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/19/22 09:33 PM

If you want perfect eggs every time, old or fresh doesn't matter, with shells that pop right off do this...

On the blunt end of the egg poke it with a pin. Boil a pan of water and when it gets rolling add the eggs and cover for 9 minutes. At the end of 9 minutes remove from heat leave covered and allow to sit off the burner for 8 minutes.

After the 8 minutes, drain and add cold water topped with ice. Leave them sit a few minutes until you can handle them and start peeling. It works first time , every time, and the eggs are always perfect.

WS
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/19/22 09:37 PM

Looks good and should keep for a long time. I'm getting so many more eggs than I can sell and eat. Feeding the. To the cats and dogs and still have to many.

I always heard my eggs are to fresh and thatscwhy I have such a hard time getting them peeled. How fresh were your eggs?
Posted By: Finster

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/19/22 09:46 PM

The only way I have found that works for me is to take them directly off the heat, let the tap run in the pot just until you can stand to put your hand in, grab an egg and start peeling. The steam from the sudden cooling will lift the membrane off the white. That's the only voodoo that works for me. If the eggs get too cold, your screwed.
Posted By: VH60

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/19/22 09:49 PM

Thanks Gary
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/19/22 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by KsTrapper88
Instant pot, works good, I’ve never had eggs peel so easily as they do after being cooked in the instant pot.

I do up a lot of pickled eggs so I have tried every method under the sun to make them peel easier.I now do them all in the Insta Pot and the shells fly off the eggs every time.
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/20/22 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Macthediver
I know there was a post sometime back about different ways to peel eggs. I didn't want to high jack the pickled eggs post just bit ago. So here is a new post about peeling Hard Boiled Eggs.
As I posted on the pickled eggs post. It was just odd timing that I had smoked and pickled some eggs my self.
That all got me thinking about the past peeling eggs post.
Right before I did my smoked eggs. One them DYI internet hack post popped up on my FB. It was peeling Hard Boiled Eggs by shaking in water. I don't know how to post the YouTube link I watched. I tried the method I watched and I only did 4 dozen eggs. So I guess I can't say that is a real solid evaluation. It did seem to work for the most and I will be trying it again in future.
I put my hard boiled egg in coffee cup with about inch water. Put my hand over cup and shook it. Have to say I got so I could actually tell when shell was off the egg. At least on one where it came right off. There were a few eggs that still didn't give up their shells so easy. I don't think though that I goofed up as many as would have just peeling them.

Guess I don't recall in the old post what was the decided best method to peel eggs was.

4 dozen hard boiled eggs peel by shaking in water.
[Linked Image]

The few that didn't come out the best. Had issues with.
[Linked Image]

Two dozen eggs in smoker
[Linked Image]

Two dozen smoked eggs in pickle juice.
[Linked Image]

After 5 day soak... Smoked pickled egg with lunch ..yum yum!
[Linked Image]

My wife even tried a bite of one and said was good. So could probably be good for anyone likes pickle eggs and smoke things.

Mac

That's how I peel mine too.
Looks like the ones that were messed up were cracked while boiling .........
I use a pint jar and old lid , 1/2 inch of water and shake , dump in a colander , and do the next one .
I save the shells for the garden , and crush and spread them for snails and slugs .

I line the colander with a cloth to catch all the shell .

Posted By: 20scout

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/20/22 01:18 AM

I used old eggs when I can. If not then I add a t-spoon of baking soda in with the eggs and boil for about 10 minutes. Cool off in ice water and peal.
Posted By: ack

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/20/22 03:24 AM

Yep. From hot water to cold for a few minutes. Put several in a plastic container with a snap on lid .
Fill to about a quarter full with water and shake.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/20/22 03:49 AM

my best peeling eggs always start with pressure cooking them you only need 2 minutes at 10psi then release and move them strait to cold water

let them sit in the cold water and peal them right in the water I just put a large bowl in the sink and keep the cold water running bag them on the edge of the sink to crack them then the peals come off so easily

never had eggs peal as easy as pressure cooked

I put them in the basket so that they are not in the water at all just in the steam
Posted By: adam m

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/20/22 03:57 AM

Nothing like smashing a boiled egg on your forehead lol.

Instapot boiled eggs? I'm going to try that
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs... - 03/20/22 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by adam m
Nothing like smashing a boiled egg on your forehead lol.

Instapot boiled eggs? I'm going to try that

yup use the rack or basket to get them off the bottom , minimum water level , start it with the valve open , when it is hissing steady steam close the valve and set the timer for 2 minutes on the insta-pot when it is over release pressure and get them into cold water
© 2024 Trapperman Forums