Home

It was a good fur shed!

Posted By: Law Dog

It was a good fur shed! - 03/21/22 10:53 PM

Fur shed caught fire today super windy caught a hot coal that started a woodpile lost a lot of stuff but it’s all replaceable I keep my traps in a different build or it would of been really bad.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/21/22 10:55 PM

Wow that's not good.
Posted By: Tommie

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/21/22 10:56 PM

Was everything inside burnt or are you able to save anything.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/21/22 10:56 PM

Ouch!! Was all ur essence in there? Some lure maker is going to be crying if it was.
Posted By: Boco

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/21/22 10:57 PM

Didnt another building catch fire on your property not long ago,or was that someone else?
Posted By: claycreech

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/21/22 11:01 PM

Bad deal.
If mine ever burns I’m screwed lol.
Posted By: OKforester

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/21/22 11:15 PM

Oh man that’s rough!
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/21/22 11:28 PM

Sorry to hear. At least no one was hurt.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/21/22 11:31 PM

Sorry to hear. Glad everyone is okay
Posted By: 653

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/21/22 11:31 PM

Man sorry to hear that Jer!!
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/21/22 11:36 PM

That sucks! Glad your traps weren’t in there.

I can’t help but to ask, it’s the truck company guy in me.

What’s with the ladders and hole in the roof?

Did they really find a need to vent the roof?
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/21/22 11:41 PM

Well on the bright side no one was hurt and you didn’t lose any traps, also now you can build a bigger fur shed to handle all the skunks.
Posted By: smellslikecastor

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/21/22 11:45 PM

oh no that sucks! so sorry to hear. wouldnt wish that on anyone
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/21/22 11:46 PM

Man, I'm sorry. That really, really stinks.

I saw the title of the thread and cringed... But the little optimistic voice said maybe his wife packed a bunch of junk in it and he's just ranting.

Then I opened it and saw the picture.

That just sucks.

Mike
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/21/22 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by DelawareRob

Oh man, don't get me started! That's the 1st thing they do here too! Knock out ALL the windows, and cut a hole in the roof!

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/21/22 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Yukon John
Originally Posted by DelawareRob

Oh man, don't get me started! That's the 1st thing they do here too! Knock out ALL the windows, and cut a hole in the roof!

Try before you pry! That’s what I learned. Open the window or door, no need to break it open.

Also, set the depth on your saw, so you just cut the roofing not the supports.

Easier to repair and patch!
Posted By: newfox1

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/21/22 11:51 PM

Sorry to hear law dog, build er back.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/21/22 11:52 PM

You need anything? This bunch loves to pick and poke at each other but agree on one thing Step up when someone is in need

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/21/22 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
You need anything? This bunch loved to pick and poke at each other but agree on one thing Step up when someone is in need

Fact!

I don’t have much, but can help.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/21/22 11:56 PM

Yeah LD, I'm sure you'll be up and running in no time! At least no one was hurt.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/21/22 11:58 PM

Sorry to read this. Glad you're OK.
Posted By: 653

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 12:13 AM

let me know when the barn raisin is i"ll be there!
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 12:13 AM

Dang LD!

Thats a hard loss. But now you can build another better!
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 12:14 AM

Very sorry to hear that. I think about it happening to me all the time
Posted By: coop

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 12:15 AM

Been there... done that. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Notice that pile of 110's in the bottom pic...
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 12:27 AM

Fur shed fires are the worst, buddy lost a big pile of fur in one in 1983.

Sorry for y'alls loss.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 12:46 AM

Sorry to see this Jerry. Like others have said you can replace material things but glad no one got hurt.

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 12:48 AM

The building was tight the fire never got rolling mostly smoke and heat damaged steel frame upper, insulated walls moisture barrier I think it can be saved I’m more ticked about the truck I had endless hours into it but I have 2 more trucks around with spare motors and transmissions, upcoming project.

The FD could of used the attic opening but they did not listen but the rafters were smoking and it had a ceiling over the room but they know the job I guess it’s seemed ripping down from the inside would of been better. They had a tough time busting through that wall with the steel fram. It’s been busy here people calling and dropping by I have a huge dump trailer coming from a buddy along with his semi and skid loader and grapple setup to use.

One end got the worst of it but it was a small room at the end of the building slowing down the spread, few traps muskrat setups, and a ton of stretchers are toast but I have a couple boxes of new ones I bought from Nancy years ago and others that might be OK.
Posted By: hippie

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 12:52 AM

Fires are bad, hate to see this.

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 12:56 AM

I had a fire door up against the steel build that saved a lot of damage, I had a fire hose setup but the heat and smoke made getting to it impossible to get to it. The next setup will have a hydrant system in place.

The wife wanted a new garage just not there.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 12:57 AM

Sorry to see this Jerry.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 01:01 AM

Dang Jerry. Lots of memories I'm sure in that shed.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 01:33 AM

I am sorry that you had a fire Jerry. I hope you're able to salvage most of your property.

Keith
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 01:36 AM

Dang! Sorry bud.
Posted By: Half ton

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 01:44 AM

Sorry to see stuff like this but no one got hurt. To look on the bright side you will be able to Build Back Better smile

Russ
Posted By: Bison88

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 01:50 AM

Sorry to see that Jerry. Good luck with the rebuild
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 01:50 AM

Could have been worse and you can always replace the building and contents.

Chris
Posted By: coyote addict

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 02:01 AM

Hodagtrapper is right Jerry. It sucks big time but nobody got hurt . Hope your future fur shed is everything you wanted. Take care.
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 02:19 AM

Sorry to hear. Keep us posted if we can help.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 02:39 AM

Too bad Law Dog...sorry to your loss!
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 02:47 AM

That sucks …glad your ok . I see a bigger and better fur shed coming..but nobody needs that headache.

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 03:11 AM

Just soaked it down I’ll hit her again during the night steel frame looks solid won’t know until I clean all the trash out of it once the dump trailer gets here it’s go time.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 03:12 AM

Dang Jerry, that sucks.

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 03:40 AM

Lucky a lot of my traps were in the other building or I’d be bawling then. It’s weird I had a unopened pack of paper towels on a high shelf that the plastic melted off of but the towels are sitting there stacked with no covering not burnt even I’ll get a pic up tomorrow.
Posted By: dixieland

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 03:46 AM

And you don’t mention insurance, so guess you didn’t have any.
Posted By: MinkGuy

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 03:49 AM

What's you address Jerry and mailing address?

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by dixieland
And you don’t mention insurance, so guess you didn’t have any.

I have insurance just don’t expect them to cover contents for what I value it for like glands, oils, grease, lures it just won’t be considered I’m expecting. I just don’t have much faith in insurance companies so I’m not getting my hopes up my problem I will fix it.
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 04:03 AM

Hate to see this LD. Hope it all works out for the better.

How close is that hoop house? Don't look like it has any damage?

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by MinkGuy
What's you address Jerry and mailing address?

Thanks but I’m not looking for stuff don’t send me anything please! I’ll be up and running by fall no problem but thanks for the offers I really do appreciate the offers but I’m not hurting I have a excess of supplies. The rub is the equipment was the old school stuff Victor and peerless quality stuff you just can’t go out and buy more it’s about the history of it. For what I do now I’ll be fine with what was in the other shed/sheds and the far end of the shop most items might be OK.

But I do thank you guys I’m humbled by the offers it warms my heart I’ll be fine just a bump in the road like said the plans to build back better are already rolling.

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by il.trapper
Hate to see this LD. Hope it all works out for the better.

How close is that hoop house? Don't look like it has any damage?

I had a old fire door up against that building so it’s minimal damage I even have some steel from the skylights I put in that will fit just need to see how the coating holds up.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 04:23 AM

Sorry to see that! Bright spot no one got hurt.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 09:38 AM

this sucks jerry, I know firsthand been there twice, if you need help let me know I can drive over , I'M retired now too,
Posted By: bhugo

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 09:50 AM

Very sorry to see this, Jerry. No fun for sure.
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 09:54 AM

Dang, build back better!
Posted By: Mac

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 11:52 AM

Sorry this happened Jerry. If I was closer I would help you clean up.

Mac
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 11:57 AM

Dang Jerry, opened this morning to find this! You had hot water heatt in the building, if I remember right. If there is anything I can do for you, just say the word bud, and I mean it. What a tragedy to have happpen!
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 12:11 PM

We had a house fire some years back. The way the insurance worked we had to buy replacement stuff with our money, give receipts to the adjuster, and get reimbursed. Was a real pain.

I am real glad it didnt spread to your house. I am not the woodworker carpenter Lee is but I have tools and could get away too. I could follow his directions.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 12:35 PM

Been through a couple of fires in my life, no fun cleaning up and starting over. Glad nobody was hurt and you didn't lose all your traps too. Sorry for your loss of all your other cool stuff that took a lifetime to collect.
Posted By: slydogx

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 12:52 PM

Sorry to hear this happened to you. We really were blessed when we had our house fire and didn't lose anything that wasn't replaceable and it was still a pain in the butt.
Like others have mentioned, the folks at t-man really came through, proving that this group hosts some of the finest human beings that the world has to offer.
Since you have mentioned here that you aren't looking for any items to be sent, all I can offer is a ready ear if you need to talk via pm... but I'm guessing you have all the moral support you need LOL. Regardless, the offer stands and I am willing to listen if you need to vent.
Good luck with all the mess
Posted By: Redknot

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 12:55 PM

Sorry for your headache...But I have to say that is a pretty good turnout from your fire department...

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 01:10 PM

My goal is to get it sealed back up ASAP it should go fast with the steel frame if it held up if not I will shorten the shed up and use it for storage then build a new one. The wife wants a garage so I’m thinking build a 3 car one and one stall would be my new workshop then.

I gave it a once over last night during fire watch I’m shocked what made it through the heat like a jug of fish oil that did not melt and glass jars of skunk oil did not break that was on the floor not far from the main fire. I’ll see If the freezer and fridge work today I fired up a spare freezer incase they don’t work.

80oz of essence and all of my MJs all conis but the 50 110s on laths and skinning machine were in the steel building and safe. I had stretchers in both buildings so I did not lose them all most were going the 4H trapping class anyways that I did not use anymore.

I sell in the grease as much as I can now the 20+ skunks I did put up are toast that’s a shame with so many nice skunks this season.

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 02:26 PM

Paper towels plastic melted off but the towels never burned.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: coop

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 08:56 PM

Insurance... mine replaced what I lost 100% if bought another one. If I lost something and claimed it, but chose not to buy another, it was valued at a prorated amount, sometimes as little as 15 or 20% on older items.

Replacement building... I replaced my 2 bay 24X28 garage/fur shed with a new 36X40 3 bay pole barn, and built a dedicated 16X14 insulated room in the back for fur, hunting, fishing equipment. I put 10' lean too's on both sides and it gives me a ton of extra room for utility trailer, quad, lawnmower, etc. Nice upgrade but definitely not the way to go w/ all the things I lost.

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 10:36 PM

Insurance guy will be by tomorrow then I can get to fixing it, we cleaned it out loaded up my 12 foot trailer another dump trip maybe 2 might be in order. I talked it over with the wife I’m thinking about shortening the building to 20 feet so 20’X12’ since we are putting up a 3 car garage this summer. The plan is to turn one end into a workshop.

Being a steel frame I’ll cut it then salvage the good lumber mostly treated 2X6s from the bad end it will be water tight in a week or so windows will be the hardest but if I find windows I’ll frame to fit them. Still need to rewire it.

I was shocked that the fridge and freezer are still working but I had to run a HD extension cord from the other building.
Posted By: marathonman

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/22/22 11:00 PM

Good Luck! I know it sucks but it could be worse...
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/23/22 12:29 AM

Bad deal Jerry , sorry to hear.

At least no one was hurt.

No the work starts.

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/23/22 12:49 AM

Jerry, you should be able to order vinyl windows to whatever size you need.

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/23/22 01:51 AM

The last time the glass shop sold me some that he got stuck with by a customer tinted double thick for cheap but I’ll see what I come across no hurry.
Posted By: saskbone

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/23/22 02:09 AM

Had the same thing happen a few years ago to my trap storage barn. 100 plus round colonies,400 traps and a lot of other stuff. You have a good attitude and you will be fine. Already a memory for be but it still hurts a bit. Neighbours got my quad and skidoo out by picking them up and carrying them. I was 60 miles away and this was at my buddy’s farm.

Your already on the way to cleaning up. Keep after it and good luck.

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/24/22 01:34 AM

Insurance guy was here today good news so far the fur shed was covered under other buildings maybe even the boiler since it heated the house (I need to rewire it) great guy he said put in for the skunk pelts that I lost I was shocked.

I said I might have to explain some items like a gallon of coyote butt bungs. LOL He said write down everything even the fridge and small freezer he said the smoke might kill it in a short time if it ran at the wrong time during the burn. Even the stretchers and lure he said to put it down too. Pretty much if it was in the shed put it down unless your sure it’s OK.

Sounded like he was trapping bounty tails with his kid now said it got his kid interested in trapping.
Posted By: Tommie

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/24/22 01:52 AM

Glad you got good news .
Posted By: Bison88

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/24/22 02:31 AM

Good reminder to keep a good inventory of your belongings in sheds and the house. I know I need to update mine

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/24/22 02:42 AM

Nice to hear some good news for a change. Most adjusters have a bad rap but this guy sounds like a good person all around.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/24/22 02:58 AM

Check your policy because most will be open ended for a year for incidentals that may have been over-looked.
The heat does a number to the insulation in the freezers walls so they may run but the power they draw is past the point of return
Remember that the copper to the steel cooling coils does not like heat and some freon may escape and moving them upsets those areas...speaking from experiences.

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/24/22 03:02 AM

I’m taking photos of everything I’d rather show proof then be seen as a crook. LOL
Posted By: trapperman222

Re: It was a good fur shed! - 03/24/22 03:38 AM

I’ve heard of the guys having a bonfire with their coon hides but this is a little extreme. Glad no one was hurt.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums