Home

Heritage Rough Rider Rancher vs Henry lever .22

Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Heritage Rough Rider Rancher vs Henry lever .22 - 03/23/22 08:40 PM

I was set to buy a Rancher as a fun plinker, not sure, maybe rabbit hunt with it. Now I held a Henry plain .22 lever. Got enough stash cash I forgot about for one or the other. I know buy both but... In time. Opinions on the Henry? The Heritage Rancher? I have handled and shot my buddies and it was fun. Will the Henry do squirrel heads at 50 to 60 yards? Not sure the Rancher will.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Heritage Rough Rider Rancher vs Henry lever .22 - 03/23/22 08:42 PM

Check out Rimfire Central. Lots of discussion over the years on all sorts of 22s.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Heritage Rough Rider Rancher vs Henry lever .22 - 03/23/22 08:48 PM

Never handled or shot either. But of the 2, I would lean towards the Henry.

I have a Heritage revolver and it has never failed me. But I've heard of folks (some on here) having issues with parts wearing out before they reasonably should, or breaking. Henry just seems to put out more reliable and quality stuff.

Just my $.02

Mike
Posted By: martyd

Re: Heritage Rough Rider Rancher vs Henry lever .22 - 03/23/22 08:56 PM

Henry will be more accurate. Heritage not squirrel accurate at 30 plus yards in my opinion. MD
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Heritage Rough Rider Rancher vs Henry lever .22 - 03/23/22 09:19 PM

the Henry better quality control
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Heritage Rough Rider Rancher vs Henry lever .22 - 03/23/22 10:23 PM

Henry would be my choice, got the golden boy and like it. However I see Rossie is coming out with a similar rifle to the regular Henry rimfire, might check that out.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Heritage Rough Rider Rancher vs Henry lever .22 - 03/23/22 10:26 PM

Henry hands down. At turkey shoots , Henrys with good marksmen take most of trophies, $$$. hams ect.
Posted By: hobbes

Re: Heritage Rough Rider Rancher vs Henry lever .22 - 03/23/22 10:43 PM

I have the Rough Rider and I bought the Henry lever action .22 for my youngest son 12 birthday. The revolver is okay as a trap line gun, but not much else. The lever is a lot of fun to plink with and make hunting squirrels a lot of fun if you don't take things too seriously. If I had to pick, I'd definitely take the Henry lever.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Heritage Rough Rider Rancher vs Henry lever .22 - 03/23/22 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by hobbes
I have the Rough Rider and I bought the Henry lever action .22 for my youngest son 12 birthday. The revolver is okay as a trap line gun, but not much else. The lever is a lot of fun to plink with and make hunting squirrels a lot of fun if you don't take things too seriously. If I had to pick, I'd definitely take the Henry lever.

I agree. I use a RR for the trap line. Great for that. I would want a Henry for a rifle. I have a Savage 22 or I’d get a Henry.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Heritage Rough Rider Rancher vs Henry lever .22 - 03/23/22 11:08 PM

Henry golden boy here and sure like it a bunch.

Re: Heritage Rough Rider Rancher vs Henry lever .22 - 03/23/22 11:12 PM

The Rancher has a 16 inch barrel with a rifle stock. .22 magnum cylinder option. Military style sling. I have a Rough rider .22/.22mag 7.5 ich barrel, adjustable Tru Glo sights I kill rabbits with now. I bought and sold a Ruger Wrangler, it never was as accurate as the Heritage. The price point between the Henry lever and the Rancher is within $20 where I shop. The Henry barrel is just over 16 inch. I may buy the Henry first, but the Rancher just looks like all kinds of fun.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Heritage Rough Rider Rancher vs Henry lever .22 - 03/24/22 01:27 PM

I don't care for plastic receiver plates on some Henry models. Made to look like hardened steel.

I used to sell them.
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Heritage Rough Rider Rancher vs Henry lever .22 - 03/24/22 01:40 PM

Check this out

https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/bl-22/bl22-fld-grade-2-octagon.html
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Heritage Rough Rider Rancher vs Henry lever .22 - 03/24/22 01:56 PM

I love my Henry
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Heritage Rough Rider Rancher vs Henry lever .22 - 03/24/22 01:57 PM

I bought the Youth model 0001 I believe, I love the thing I did find a metal front sight magazine clamp on eBay years back and put a Skinner peep on the back it’s a very nice truck gun for out here and functions smoothly always.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Heritage Rough Rider Rancher vs Henry lever .22 - 03/24/22 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
Will the Henry do squirrel heads at 50 to 60 yards? Not sure the Rancher will.

I shot squirrels all the time 50 to 60 yards with my Henry.
Posted By: garymc

Re: Heritage Rough Rider Rancher vs Henry lever .22 - 03/24/22 04:26 PM

I have a couple of the Henry Lever guns in 22. By far my favorite is the Small Game Carbine .22 with the factory Skinner Peep. It is more accurate than I am,
Posted By: We-Sa

Re: Heritage Rough Rider Rancher vs Henry lever .22 - 03/24/22 05:13 PM

I just checked out the Heritage Rancher, cool gun, cooler than the Henry, at least I think so. Just guessing I bet the Henry would be more accurate though. One question I've always had with those revolver carbines is how do you keep from getting hot gasses that escape from between the cylinder and the forcing cone from hitting your support hand/arm?

Re: Heritage Rough Rider Rancher vs Henry lever .22 - 03/24/22 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by We-Sa
I just checked out the Heritage Rancher, cool gun, cooler than the Henry, at least I think so. Just guessing I bet the Henry would be more accurate though. One question I've always had with those revolver carbines is how do you keep from getting hot gasses that escape from between the cylinder and the forcing cone from hitting your support hand/arm?

Did you notice the trigger guard? It is designed to have one hand on the grip/trigger and the other just in front of trigger guard. Just like a two hand grip on the revolver. I think some replies think the Rancher is a pistol, it's a single action revolver rifle. The Henry has plastic receiver plates??
Posted By: K91773

Re: Heritage Rough Rider Rancher vs Henry lever .22 - 03/25/22 12:13 AM

I had one of the base model Henry's and it shot real good, I don't think you would be disappointed in it at all. I really like the looks and feel of the Rancher but I have not shot one and I doubt it will be as accurate as the Henry, the available 22 mag cylinder does add some versatility but for wanting to head shoot squirrels at 50 yards, I think the Henry will come closer to satisfying you, particularly since it is easily scoped.
Posted By: skunkly

Re: Heritage Rough Rider Rancher vs Henry lever .22 - 03/25/22 03:23 AM

I don't know anything about the Heritage Rancher. Kind of neat. I have a heritage .22/.22mag rough rider and its ok for trapping and plinking cans and shooting chipmunks if I do my job. The .22mag cylinder is nice: pop that in when I'm out of town for the wife just in case any meth heads come around (she's uncomfortable with the 9mm and wont touch the 12ga, but likes the rough rider). The neighbor kid bought himself a golden boy last year. Its really fun to shoot!

Re: Heritage Rough Rider Rancher vs Henry lever .22 - 03/25/22 10:58 AM

I really like the Henry "Small Game" version with the large loop lever. But cannot find one. I have found the standard H001 which honestly feels great in the hands. Lol watched dozens of You Tube videos on both. Perhaps a loop lever could be a change out option in the future. I'm going to end up with both I guess.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Heritage Rough Rider Rancher vs Henry lever .22 - 03/25/22 11:38 AM

I own at least a half dozen .22 rifles and my Henry lever is the most accurate one of the bunch
© 2024 Trapperman Forums