Home

What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation

Posted By: Wolfdog91

What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/23/22 11:58 PM

So was listing to a podcast about cartridges and the like and it seems every generation has a "wonder round" . Big marketing campaigns ,yadda yadda yadda. 6.5creed just seems to be my generations ( also might have to do the the fact I can get actually get ammo and a gun for under $500). Anyhow what was the 6.5 Creed for y'all ?
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:07 AM

.270 winchester

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:09 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.270_Winchester

The .270 Winchester, conceived solely as a big game hunting cartridge, became very popular, in part, due to the widespread praises of gun writer Jack O'Connor who used the cartridge for 40 years and touted its merits in the pages of Outdoor Life[5][6] as well as other renowned gun writers of the time such as late Col. Townsend Whelen.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:09 AM

Posted By: EdP

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:10 AM

You callin' us old???
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:12 AM

6.8 Western
Posted By: cohunt

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:24 AM

Mine was the 25-06. My first was a custom in the early 60s.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:25 AM

If I want to shoot a long ways now though I use a 300 win mag.
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:28 AM

.270 Winchester
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
If I want to shoot a long ways now though I use a 300 win mag.

Over a 7mm rem mag?
Posted By: hippie

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:29 AM

I'd have to say that during my time, the 7mm-08 made a splash similar to the 6.5 creedmore.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Rifled slug barrels.

How people ever got caught up in the creedmore rage baffles me?
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

.17hmr
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by cohunt
Mine was the 25-06. My first was a custom in the early 60s.

X2 mine is a Ruger #1V didn't come in 270
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:32 AM

I thought some of you would say the Minie Ball.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
Rifled slug barrels.

?????
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce T
6.8 Western

And that worked in a smooth bore musket ??? I am confused now

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by TurkeyTime

Naw they thought the percussion cap was to newfangled

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:39 AM

Rifled slug barrels.

Whats wrong with rifled slug barrels? Unless you lived in a deer rifle state, rifled slug barrels were a godsend for people trying to get some actual accuracy for anyrhing past point blank range.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:40 AM

Over a 7mm rem mag?

Yes, a 300 win mag will safely shoot a 200 grain bullet at the same velocity the 7mm mag shoots a 175
Posted By: charles

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:41 AM

25-06 was mine.
Posted By: imissed

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:45 AM

Have to go with the 270 also. I started to learn about rifle rounds in the early '70's and it was always talked about.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:46 AM

according to my nosler book a 7mm mag shooting a 175 grain partition with a 3000 fps muzzle velocity, zeroed at 200 yards will drop 37.3 inches at 500. It will have 1795 ft pounds of energy. The win mag shooting a 200 grain partition at 3000fps will drop 38.3 inchs with 1941 foot pounds of energy.

Looks to me like there aint ten cents difference...... except i already own a 300 win mag
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Rifled slug barrels.

?????

many of us were stuck with shotgun only zones , no rifles for deer season

as a "safety" thing because slugs don't go far

which is sort of a lie , slugs still go far not as far as a rifle but way further than most people figured , they assumed because they couldn't hit a 55 gallon drum with it at 130 yards they were in the dirt by 150 which wasn't really true.

it actually got safer when Green county went rifle , the sheriffs calls for cars trucks , farm equipment and outbuildings struck by projectiles went way down , because people could then hit a 150yard deer rather than try and artillery the foster slugs in

20ga 44cal bullet in a sabot makes a 20ga shotgun perform almost to 45-70 levels
Posted By: We-Sa

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:49 AM

.264 Winchester Magnum. A little before my time but I had one.
Posted By: CaseXX

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:52 AM

I remember the 270 and O'Conner and I think Skelton or maybe Cooper going at it over .270 vs 30-06. But the big deal to me was Roy Weatherby's .270 Wby, when he rounded those shoulders giving more case capacity that was the be all end all. Just my 2 cents.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:54 AM

White aint chimed in yet grin

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:55 AM

7mm rem mag was the hot thing everyone in rifle zones I guess that would have been the mo-powah mo-bettah round of the late 80s early 90s even tough it was developed well before that

most people who weren't buying those were just using 30-06 cause it worked and was everywhere

sort of the "3" were a 22lr, a 30-06 and 12ga and go hunt everything in WI

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

which is sort of a lie , slugs still go far not as far as a rifle but way further than most people figured , they assumed because they couldn't hit a 55 gallon drum with it at 130 yards they were in the dirt by 150 which wasn't really true.

it actually got safer when Green county went rifle , the sheriffs calls for cars trucks , farm equipment and outbuildings struck by projectiles went way down , because people could then hit a 150yard deer rather than try and artillery the foster slugs in

20ga 44cal bullet in a sabot makes a 20ga shotgun perform almost to 45-70 levels

The Hornady SST slugs we shoot out of out 12 gauges are listed at a 6.5" drop at 200yds

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
Rifled slug barrels.

Whats wrong with rifled slug barrels? Unless you lived in a deer rifle state, rifled slug barrels were a godsend for people trying to get some actual accuracy for anyrhing past point blank range.

Nuttn wrong at all?
Rifled slug barrels changed things big time!

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 01:00 AM

The Hornady SST slugs we shoot out of out 12 gauges are listed at a 6.5" drop at 200yds

yup I have a cousin who shoots those and then he starts counting slugs cost him one year his scope was off cause he didn't want to burn the 3 dollar a peice slugs and the scope hand't moved in 3 years they are a serios game changer over the foster slugs.

big difference is I don't think I ever heard a hey how do you know someone shot their deer with a sabot slug! just wait they will tell you.

6.5 creedmore seems to hold that popularity of talking about it more than most any other cartridge I ever heard of.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 01:01 AM

I gota tell ya, if I hear bout one more gun chambered in 6.5 creed I'm gonna blow a gasket. I betcha I could go to my local gun store and he will have a broomstick or a pair of sneakers chambered in the doggon caliber.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by CaseXX
I gota tell ya, if I hear bout one more gun chambered in 6.5 creed I'm gonna blow a gasket. I betcha I could go to my local gun store and he will have a broomstick or a pair of sneakers chambered in the doggon caliber.

was at fleet farm Saturday every bolt action rifle I saw except one was chambered in it that one was 450 bushmaster and I swear that one 450 has been on the shelf 2 years at that store.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 01:05 AM

Yeh it hurts when a scope goes bad shooting those SSTs... We just had a scope go out. My dad burned two or three boxes before figuring the scope went out.
Posted By: Bass1

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 01:07 AM

.222 Remington and .308 Winchester.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 01:08 AM

Yeh it hurts when a scope goes bad shooting those SSTs... We just had a scope go out. My dad burned two or three boxes before figuring the scope went out.

I was using the Winchester dual bond 20ga , guess what they di-continued
I have some boxes left , they now make a 260gr all copper that claims the same trajectory , I bought some but have't tried them yet going to use up what I have left first

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 01:08 AM

When I look at the 6.5 numbers I dont see where its any better than a lot of other cartridges. I believe now, ( i didnt when I was young) that the primary purpose of outdoor publications is to sell stuff. The more they can sell the more they can charge for ads and ads disguised as articles.

In order to keep gun sales up gun manufacturers need new stuff. It doesn't have to be better than their "old" offerings it just needs magazine articles to sell it.

I bought a 270 cause Jack O Conner kept pointing out how much it out performed the 30-06. I am a little more experienced now and as great a cartridge as the 270 is the stuff I shoot with it isnt any deader than stuff shot with my old 06.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 01:10 AM

P.S. I can't stretch more coyotes by setting mj600's than I can with bridger #3's and a little fine tuning.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 01:11 AM

Guess you gotta strike while the irons hot, an by george that ones on fire.
Posted By: foxhunter52

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 01:12 AM

Yep, Remington Model 700 BDL .270 Win. for deer and elk. Then I got a Sako Forester .220 swift for varmints. Shot a lot of deer with the swift too.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 01:18 AM

When I look at the 6.5 numbers I dont see where its any better than a lot of other cartridges. I believe now, ( i didnt when I was young) that the primary purpose of outdoor publications is to sell stuff. The more they can sell the more they can charge for ads and ads disguised as articles.

In order to keep gun sales up gun manufacturers need new stuff. It doesn't have to be better than their "old" offerings it just needs magazine articles to sell it.

I bought a 270 cause Jack O Conner kept pointing out how much it out performed the 30-06. I am a little more experienced now and as great a cartridge as the 270 is the stuff I shoot with it isnt any deader than stuff shot with my old 06.

it is basically a modernized shorter action 6.5 swede , 6.5 swede was alwasy a good cartridge but ammo for it and the 1896 rifles chambered in it was not being laoded to it's potential in many cases becasue of the old rifle concern.

6.5 creedmore was made for punching holes in paper at distance , then people hyped it for hunting inside 300 yards it had no more power than 308
Posted By: waggler

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 01:19 AM

Toss-up between the 25-06, 270, and 7mm Rem mag. Maybe leaning heavy towards the 7mm.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 01:21 AM

His was when the Chinese came up with Gunpowder

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 01:22 AM

. 6mm Rem
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 01:38 AM

30-30, i mean you was a deer hunter if you had one.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 01:39 AM

New cartridges/ broadhead topics get me fired up somehow.
I feel we have reached the " perfect platform" YEARS ago.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 01:44 AM

I spent a fair amount of time in the last 6 months researching a caliber for a 300yd deer gun. Started with the 6.5 then got to looking at the 7mm08 then the 270. For hunting ranges the 7mm08 had a slight performance advantage over the 6.5 in all categories. The 6.5 had a slight edge in the recoil department. The 270 just out performed both but does come with a bit more recoil. I do believe the 270 has a flatter trajectory than the 30-06 and can perform pretty close to the 06 with less recoil.
Posted By: coonlove

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 02:03 AM

A pretty fair milestone was in the late 1950's when Winchester introduced their belted mag. line including the .264,.338 .458 and finally the .300 Win Mag.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 02:06 AM

I like mine Yes Sir. Both of them. Usually whats in my hands hunting most anything bigger than a coyote. Still wont kill stuff any deader than any other rifle though. Recoil has never really been a determining factor for me. I load my 270 the same way O Conner did. 55 grains of IMR 4350 and a 130 grain boat tail.
Posted By: patfundine

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 02:11 AM

I have been carrying a 6.5 creedmoor for about the last 4 deer seasons. I bought one just to buy one. After shooting it I decided to buy a better rifle. I currently carry a Savage model 11 with the accutrigger . The gun really likes winchester deer season ammo. I have plenty of other guns to choose from, but I end up with this gun about 90% of the time. My previous choice or rifle was a remington 788 in .243.

The 6.5 creedmoor is the most hated caliber I can think of. This is too bad, because it is a good round. It has low recoil, and It gets to job done.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 02:12 AM

I dont hate it. Just have no need for one.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 02:16 AM

FWIW I never bought a 204 cause I have a 22-250. If was 16 again and looking to pay for a new rifle with money I earned I have no doubt I would be looking at the 6.5. I have no doubt that 50 years later I would be saying I dont need whatever the whizbang will be in 50 years either.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 02:17 AM

I don't remember, in my lifetime, there being such a "snooty" round than the 6.5 creedmore. Not saying that those that shoot it are, but seems to me that if you ain't shootin one, you ain't shootin! I get that the ballistics are unreal, but let me shoot what i shoot, and you can shoot what you shoot!

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Yukon John
I don't remember, in my lifetime, there being such a "snooty" round than the 6.5 creedmore. Not saying that those that shoot it are, but seems to me that if you ain't shootin one, you ain't shootin! I get that the ballistics are unreal, but let me shoot what i shoot, and you can shoot what you shoot!

I mean.....alot of older guys where doing that with the .260 rem when the Creed first came out laugh

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 02:20 AM

I get that the ballistics are unreal
nope. just hype

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 02:21 AM

Hay what was it like when the 6.5 grendel first came out ? Think I was only like 14 so can only remember one or two little things
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 02:34 AM

My absolute favorite go-to rifle is my Remington Model 600 in 6mm. Made between 64 and 67. Lost track of how many deer I have killed with it.

If the size of game or distance called for it I would drop back to my Model 700 in 7mm mag.

Moosetrot

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 02:37 AM

Hay what was it like when the 6.5 grendel first came out ? Think I was only like 14 so can only remember one or two little things

not a lot of anything , some articles in the gun rags , some people went to it in AR's but nothing like the creedmore hype

it got slightly more press than 6.5 arc and 6.5 PRC

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot
My absolute favorite go-to rifle is my Remington Model 600 in 6mm. Made between 64 and 67. Lost track of how many deer I have killed with it.

If the size of game or distance called for it I would drop back to my Model 700 in 7mm mag.

Moosetrot

Two Great Choices.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Yukon John

I mean.....alot of older guys where doing that with the .260 rem when the Creed first came out laugh

Yep, built my 260 rem before the Creedmoor was though of.

But our 243 and 7mm08 have killed more deer because my 260 is long and heavy with its thick 26" barrel and 9" of silencer. It's the most accurate gun I have ever owned sub .30 5 shot groups but it's not fun to pack around.

And for our hunting ranges of 100 yards or so all the rifle calibers I have seen hit deer about the same. Band flop or a stumble flopping run. The right bullet is more important than caliber.
Posted By: warrior

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 02:49 AM

When I was coming up it was shotgun only by choice since everyone ran dogs. The first rifles I recall were 30/06 or 30-30. Then .270s got popular mostly winchester but some guys wanted the shiniest and flashiest and they went for the weatherby. There were a few other calibers floating around, I recall some who liked the 308 over the 06 and there was a few who shot the 243 while the 25-06 was rumored to be a flat shooter. But the one the one that seemed to come on strong that everyone just had to have was the 7mm Remington Magnum. That one was the hot ticket and opened the door for all the latest and greatest super magnums that came and went. The 6.5 has kind of surprised me by not being just another flash in the pan and hanging around as long as it has. BUT if you take a good look at it it is everything the various magnums are not, namely barrel and powder burning shoulder bruisers, and everything that has always killed game just like the century plus 6.5x55.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 02:54 AM

The name is marketing genius. The 6.5 creedmore is like the McDonalds of the rifle world .
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 03:06 AM

I don't hate the 6.5 Creedmoor. The fanboy following "latest and greatest" nonsense is a bit irksome. But I don't see anything necessarily wrong with it.

Wife and I were coming off the range one day and these 2 fellas we're getting ready to go out... Father and son. Father was my age or a bit older. Son was early to mid 20's. The dad saw my wife's rifle and asked what my wife was shooting. She told him it was a .308 Win. He congratulated her, turned to his boy and said, "She's shooting a man's rifle. Not a 6.5"

I thought that poor kid was going to melt he was blushing so much.

My local guy stocks a lot of 6.5's though. He's not a huge fan, but they sell good.

Mike
Posted By: Pirogue

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 03:08 AM

7mm Rem Mag
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Originally Posted by Bruce T
6.8 Western

And that worked in a smooth bore musket ??? I am confused now

Lol.....my generation is now. grin
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 03:10 AM

So was listing to a podcast about cartridges and the like and it seems every generation has a "wonder round" . Big marketing campaigns ,yadda yadda yadda. 6.5creed just seems to be my generations ( also might have to do the the fact I can get actually get ammo and a gun for under $500). Anyhow what was the 6.5 Creed for y'all ?

The shotgun. Where I lived, rifles were only allowed for hunting coyotes at night. They couldn't be hunted with in the day. Shotguns and .22s were where it was at when I was a youngun.

But I chuckle at you saying the 6.5 Creedmore is a wonder round. In my circle, if you own a 6.5 Creed you might as well dip it in a rainbow flag because you've already been labeled as gay, lol.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 03:10 AM

Mine was 308. I could get all the match grade ball ammo I could shoot, then reload the brass. That little Winchester Model 100 sure killed a lot of game.
Posted By: coop

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 03:22 AM

Posted By: H2ORat

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
Mine was 308. I could get all the match grade ball ammo I could shoot, then reload the brass. That little Winchester Model 100 sure killed a lot of game.

wifes got a 100 and dads got an 88 both in 308. great guns except the best thing that could be said about the trigger pull was that it made the gun go off.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bigfoot
The name is marketing genius. The 6.5 creedmore is like the man bun of the rifle world .

Fixed it for ya
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 03:33 AM

There was no fanfare for new cartridges like there is now for the Creed. I'm talking the late'60's/early 70's. Take a look at cartridges developed in that time frame and you'll be hard pressed to find any commonly used round in the bunch.

The vast majority used old and very common rounds, 30-30, 30-06 covered well over 1/2 of the deer guns out there. Occasionally someone would have an uncommon caliber like .300 savage only because they came across a decent gun at a good price, used 9 out of 10 times.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins

the .308 came out in the mid '50's, thanks, now I don't feel so old. grin

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 03:41 AM

If I was looking for another Deer gun I'd pass on any round that hasn't been around for at least 50 years and is fairly common. The older the better.

There will be more guns out there chambered for that round so that means I will be able to find old quality guns and a greater variety of guns to buy. There will be greater availability of ammunition available not only in stores but other places too. And odds are there is a greater amount of knowledge out there for that round.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 04:04 AM

The short mags eere big when i hit my 20s, that and plastic stocks which ruined the way a gun looks.
Posted By: aknome

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 04:28 AM

My Father's pre 64 243 FWT for 4 of us while in high school. My first personal rifle was a 264 Win. Magnum.
Posted By: dixieland

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 04:35 AM

There wasn’t an “in” rifle, like the 6.5 Creed, when I bought my first. No popularity contest won with majority of voters being women and frail bodied men, who were afraid of a little recoil.
Posted By: garyll1959

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 09:55 AM

I get that the ballistics are unreal
nope. just hype

The hype is what drives the Creedmoor crowd. Hornady had the best marketing team going when the round was introduced to drive it as the "best ever". It does absolutely nothing that a plethora of other cartridges do at least as well.
A couple weeks back, I had a younger guy bring a new rifle to my shop for me to mount a scope and zero for him...yep a 6.5 Creedmoor..he proceeded to tell me to zero it dead on at 300 yards because he'd never shoot it at less than 300, because the Bullet "wasn't up to full speed" until 300 yards out,, and that way, it'd be dead on out to a 1000 yards..put the crosshairs on and pull the trigger. I asked him it it had a rocket motor on it, because that's the only way it would get faster after the bullet left the muzzle... The hype and misinformation is what has turned me into "anything but a Creedmoor" snob, lol.

Back to the OP, I'd say the 308 Winchester. Grew up shooting the 308, everything from groundhogs to black bear, paper and steel targets out to 1200 yards, and even 2 legged varmints a time or 3 while in government employment. Various assortment of rifles, from an H&R HandiRifle, Rem. 700, Winchester. Model 70, custom 98 Mauser, various Savage bolt guns, USMC M40A1/ 2. The 308 Winchester has never failed to do what I asked of it.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:37 PM

it is basically a modernized shorter action 6.5 swede , 6.5 swede was alwasy a good cartridge but ammo for it and the 1896 rifles chambered in it was not being laoded to it's potential in many cases becasue of the old rifle concern.

6.5 creedmore was made for punching holes in paper at distance , then people hyped it for hunting inside 300 yards it had no more power than 308

Count me in this group. Here's some data from Hodgdon [Linked Image]

I do think the 6.5 mm/.264 bullet has a lot of merit. Didn't WDM Bell kill elephants with a 6.5 something or other around the turn of the century?

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:43 PM

Fred bear killed an elephant with his bow. Shot it at 15 yards or something in the forehead. From what I read he had to be that close to get the angle right so the arrow would penetrate into its brain. The spot that has to be hit is not very big. I never saw an elephant outside the zoo and that recount is from memory. Maybe somebody else can look it up?
Posted By: 160user

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by coonlove
A pretty fair milestone was in the late 1950's when Winchester introduced their belted mag. line including the .264,.338 .458 and finally the .300 Win Mag.

And only 50 years behind Holland and Holland.

To me the 280 and 7mm-08 was the last "rage".

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 12:55 PM

Regarding "new" cartridges the 6.5 Grendel looks way more interesting than the 6.5 Creedmoor and you can get it in a bolt action or AR15, just sayin'.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 01:05 PM

NOTHING has been as "hyped" up like the 6.5 People got bored and had to try to reinvent the wheel. The 6.5 didn't fill any voids in the cartridge realm. NOW if you want to talk about a "modern era game changer the 350 legend checks the boxes. With it being legal in some "shotgun only " states it truly is a "game changer" But as mentioned earlier the rifled barrel did more for giving hunters/shooters an advantage than the 6.5 creedmore will ever do. My point is there was already cartridges out there that can match the performance of the 6.5. Not so much the 350 legend or the rifled barrel......
Posted By: coonlove

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 01:29 PM

WeSa, Bell early on used a 6.5 Mannlicher but had trouble getting quality ammo. He then switched to a 275 Rigby for the rest of his career.
Nothing but 175 grain round nose solids. 1,011 elephants. His books are a great read.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 01:42 PM

Not to get to much off topic, as a reloader, I enjoy the not so much run of the mill stuff. Like my 223WSSM for example. Its right up there with the 220Swift but that Browning A bolt is not much larger than a 10-22 and you can carry it all day. I want to build a 6.5 Gibbs when I find a long action to build it on.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by coonlove
WeSa, Bell early on used a 6.5 Mannlicher but had trouble getting quality ammo. He then switched to a 275 Rigby for the rest of his career.
Nothing but 175 grain round nose solids. 1,011 elephants. His books are a great read.

I forgot he switched to the 275. I've only read "Karamojo Safari" and need to read it again.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Bear Take-Down or the Bear Supermag, lol.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 01:58 PM

Not realy a "wonder round" but I thought interchangeable screw in chokes for the shotguns were a pretty snazzy invention back in the day. smile
Posted By: 50fps

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 02:10 PM

7mm mag was on the uptick when I started hunting. The magnumitis era.
Posted By: red mt

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 02:51 PM

25-06 shot for years ,, I own a 6.5 PRC now, A lot folks shoot elk with .6.5 creedmoore do just fine with it.
Posted By: charles

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 02:53 PM

I don't want one and certainly don't need one, but ammo can be had.
Posted By: HOYT archery

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 03:26 PM

I remember all the Winchester short magnums in every caliber possible being a "big deal". Throw away anything you have used before, just pick up a WSM in your favorite caliber. I never tried one, maybe I missed out.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 04:56 PM

I had a .257 Weatherby Magnum that was considered pretty hot stuff in it's day.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by HOYT archery
I remember all the Winchester short magnums in every caliber possible being a "big deal". Throw away anything you have used before, just pick up a WSM in your favorite caliber. I never tried one, maybe I missed out.

about the mid 90s a friends dad bought her one 223wssm great on deer so she said , I doubt she took any iffy shots either , next to impossible to find ammo for now and it is 3 dollars a round if you do.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 06:08 PM

Fred bear killed an elephant with his bow. Shot it at 15 yards or something in the forehead. From what I read he had to be that close to get the angle right so the arrow would penetrate into its brain. The spot that has to be hit is not very big. I never saw an elephant outside the zoo and that recount is from memory. Maybe somebody else can look it up?

If he did it in Africa he had some serious stones.

I remember going to the zoo and the circus and seeing the elephants... Even got to ride one at Dickerson Park Zoo in Springfield when I was a kid... Those were all Indian elephants. I never appreciated how massive an elephant could be until I went to Bass Pro in Springfield and they had an African bull elephant mount on display.

It was a full body mount and I didn't have to slouch much to stand underneath him. I can understand why the ivory hunters of old used the big 4 bore guns.

Mike

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 06:20 PM

about the mid 90s a friends dad bought her one 223wssm great on deer so she said , I doubt she took any iffy shots either , next to impossible to find ammo for now and it is 3 dollars a round if you do.

Starline still makes brass for it off and on and so does Winchester. But the winchester brass is not that good and you get cracked necks right out of the box. I got a batch of nickel plated ones and they are holding up great.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 07:49 PM

I would assume his answer would be the Altalt.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 07:51 PM

.22 ppc or the 257 Roberts.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 10:15 PM

22 ppc. Now there's a cartridge I haven't heard of in a while. That cartridge set a lot of records for the bench rest crowd. I expected it to get popular for the prairie dog and woodchuck gunners. Coyotes and other varmints. It never did though.

Seen an ad on armslist KS today for an old 244 Remington. Been awhile since I heard anyone arguing about the superiority of the 6mm Remington over the 243. Or vice versa. Me, well I don't think there is 10 cents difference in them but the aficionados of those two cartridges would argue till the bar closed about it.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1

Starline still makes brass for it off and on and so does Winchester. But the winchester brass is not that good and you get cracked necks right out of the box. I got a batch of nickel plated ones and they are holding up great.

I tried to talk her and her husband into reloading , not much interest and the gun was a gift from her dad who died about 8 years ago so they have a few boxes but she doesn't take it out much any more more sentimental value

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 10:41 PM

22 ppc. Now there's a cartridge I haven't heard of in a while. That cartridge set a lot of records for the bench rest crowd. I expected it to get popular for the prairie dog and woodchuck gunners. Coyotes and other varmints. It never did though.

Seen an ad on armslist KS today for an old 244 Remington. Been awhile since I heard anyone arguing about the superiority of the 6mm Remington over the 243. Or vice versa. Me, well I don't think there is 10 cents difference in them but the aficionados of those two cartridges would argue till the bar closed about it.

there was a guy trying to sell one at the last gun show , beautiful F-class bench rest gun he had 7 so he was thinning the heard 22ppc
Posted By: hippie

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/24/22 11:33 PM

I tried to get a 22ppc once. Won a Sako laminated stock, stainless bull barrel and had my choice of calibers.

Asked for either 22 or 6mm plc but the dealer couldn't find one. Said ok, get me a 22-250.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/25/22 12:55 AM

.30-30 Winchester, I'm a little older than the rest of y'all! laugh

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/25/22 01:11 AM

I got a soft spot for a 30-30. Lots of habitat I will grab one. Does a fine job when your not shooting very far. Don't take much powder to load it either.
Posted By: K-zoo

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/25/22 01:45 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/25/22 02:04 AM

30-06 mausers were a big thing when I was a kid a lot were dolled up back then into some nice lookin guns.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/25/22 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by BigBob
.30-30 Winchester, I'm a little older than the rest of y'all! laugh

Deer were a lot easier to kill then
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/25/22 04:09 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.270_Winchester

The .270 Winchester, conceived solely as a big game hunting cartridge, became very popular, in part, due to the widespread praises of gun writer Jack O'Connor who used the cartridge for 40 years and touted its merits in the pages of Outdoor Life[5][6] as well as other renowned gun writers of the time such as late Col. Townsend Whelen.

True fact .
Jack O'Connor was why I got the Ruger M77 270 Win Bolt-Action Rifle with Wood Stock in 1971 .
Think it cost around $150 then .
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/25/22 02:20 PM

7mm magnum. I hated that caliber when I was a kid. Not because there was or is anything wrong with the caliber, like the 6.5 Creedmoor it is a good caliber. But because everyone who owned one thought that was the only caliber capable of killing anything and insisted on telling everybody about it at every opportunity.

When the Creedmoor came out it was a solution looking for a problem. . . with a fantastic marketing team. If you strictly look at the ballistics the 260 has a slight edge, and although they hyped the Creedmoor as being designed to work in an AR platform more reliably than a 260, but if you look back at the Camp Perry results from when the 6.5 Creedmoor was first popular, the 260 was the most common cartridge in the top 10, so obviously it didn't have a huge reliability problem. The one big advantage it has is not actually the cartridge, it is the guns it is chambered in, they were all made with a twist to shoot the long heavy bullets, while older 260s many (Remingtons in particular) have too fast a twist to stabilize the long heavy bullets that make it shine.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/25/22 04:10 PM

My first hunting rifle was a .284 Winchester , the first one I bought myself was a Ruger M-77 chambered in a .270 Winchester .

I also like the ..25-06, and the .6 mm over the .243 with a few belted magnum rifles as well .
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/25/22 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by bearcat2
7mm magnum. I hated that caliber when I was a kid. Not because there was or is anything wrong with the caliber, like the 6.5 Creedmoor it is a good caliber. But because everyone who owned one thought that was the only caliber capable of killing anything and insisted on telling everybody about it at every opportunity.

When the Creedmoor came out it was a solution looking for a problem. . . with a fantastic marketing team. If you strictly look at the ballistics the 260 has a slight edge, and although they hyped the Creedmoor as being designed to work in an AR platform more reliably than a 260, but if you look back at the Camp Perry results from when the 6.5 Creedmoor was first popular, the 260 was the most common cartridge in the top 10, so obviously it didn't have a huge reliability problem. The one big advantage it has is not actually the cartridge, it is the guns it is chambered in, they were all made with a twist to shoot the long heavy bullets, while older 260s many (Remingtons in particular) have too fast a twist to stabilize the long heavy bullets that make it shine.

A lot more manufacturers offer the 6.5 chambering in many more models than was ever available in the .260.

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/25/22 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by bearcat2

When I was in high school it was 7 mag, 7 mag, 7 mag... Everyone who was anyone had to have a 7 mag. Later on the WSM's were all the rage.

A couple years back when I finally decided to get serious about buying a bolt action rifle I looked at all my options and decided I wanted a long action magnum rifle. But it had to be a chambering that was established and had fairly common availability of ammo/reloading components. A buddy of mine happened to have a .300 Win Mag for sale and threw in a set of RCBS dies and 4 boxes of factory ammo... Seemed like the best option to start out with.

Mike
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: What was the 6.5 Creedmore of y'all's generation - 03/25/22 09:04 PM

Definitely the 30/30.My dad had .32 special,basically the same thing.He was convinced it was the best caliber ever,so when I came home with a surplus M-1 carbine he almost disowned me.He got off my back after I shot a number of deer with it,when I made a deal with a guy for a .257 Roberts he asked me why I wanted another rifle when I shot the carbine so well.There was a.lot of calibers floating around in those days,but the 30/30 seemed to set the bar for all other calibers.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums