Home

Vortex scope opinions

Posted By: goldnut

Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 06:24 PM

Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 mm

Was going to put one of these on an AR 10. Price tag is 435 with mounts. Thoughts?
Posted By: frank1969

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 06:33 PM

Just do your research much better options for a lit more money

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by frank1969
Just do your research much better options for a lit more money

Like?
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 06:43 PM

Vortex hard to beat for the price
Posted By: DakotaBoy

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 06:46 PM

What are your plans for the rifle? What range of distance are you going to shoot? Hunting? Target shooting? Plinking?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 06:49 PM

I like them.

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 06:50 PM

500 yds target
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 06:53 PM

Bought my first vortex scope this winter put it on my 6mm Bought 2 more smile

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 06:59 PM

I'm a pretty big Vortex fan these last few years. Do you have an opportunity to look through some of the Vortex lineup before buying? I almost bought a Crossfire a few years ago because that's what my budget would allow, and I really wanted to get out shooting. After looking through the Crossfire, Diamondback, and Viper, the clarity difference really stood out to me, and the Crossfire stayed on the shelf. Saved up a bit longer and went with the Viper, and couldn't be happier.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by DakotaBoy
I'm a pretty big Vortex fan these last few years. Do you have an opportunity to look through some of the Vortex lineup before buying? I almost bought a Crossfire a few years ago because that's what my budget would allow, and I really wanted to get out shooting. After looking through the Crossfire, Diamondback, and Viper, the clarity difference really stood out to me, and the Crossfire stayed on the shelf. Saved up a bit longer and went with the Viper, and couldn't be happier.

Interesting

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 07:05 PM

How did the viper compare to the diamondback?

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 07:06 PM

I will try to find a local dealer that has both to check out

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by goldnut

How did the viper compare to the diamondback?

MUCH clearer, especially with magnification in the middle range and past. That being said, I do have a Diamonback on a hunting rifle that I don't typically shoot past about 300 yards. It's just fine for what it's job is.

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 07:11 PM

That's just been my experiences. I know there are a lot of folks out there that are plumb happy with the lower-end options from Vortex, so try to get a few lined up to look through with your own eyes.

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 07:13 PM

Thanks for all the input.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 07:41 PM

Vortex, good. If shooting long range alot, go with the best you can afford. you will notice a difference in eye strain.

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 07:51 PM

Depending on your budget, another one to consider may be US Optics. I've heard good things about them, but don't have any experience with them, myself.
Posted By: 1cav

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 08:01 PM

Own several Razor models HD LHT excellent for the money, 3x15x44 you will love on AR 10. Have Razor 4.5x 22x50 mounted on my Rimx 22 great scope only thing it's 1st focal plane took some time for me to get used to it. Another, Vortex Viper, cheaper but still great glass 6,24x44 mounted on M14 good match Best part their Life Time `warranyt no questions asked Vortex has increased in price this year. As stated above better the scope less eye strain, If you have dealer around go check Vortex out, looking through the different models you will notice the difference. 1st and 2nd focal plane, that's why I recommend looking through few.
Posted By: wytex

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 08:50 PM

I think you'll find if you look on some other forums Vortex is not highly regarded for the lower end products.
Yes they have a great warranty but it gets used a lot on the lower and mid range scopes.
I'd look at a lower end Leupold instead, or same price range Leupold.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 08:52 PM

I like my 4-12 Vortex Diamondback , 6-24 seems like a lot of magnification , how far do you plan to shoot , you know 308 drops sub sonic just past 1100 yards

good mid grade scope excellent warranty , trust me they have people abuse the warranty and they keep offering it my son was talking with some guys that air soft and they put votex on their air soft so that when they break it running into trees and such running around the woods they get them replaced.

the razor HD is their high end stuff

on an AR you want a cantilevered mount to get it out far enough
Posted By: willvalley

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 08:56 PM

Made in China. Sig is not.
Posted By: garymc

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 09:25 PM

I have a Vortex Viper and the clarity is much better than the Vortex Diamondback that I had (Three warranty claims for rotating reticle inside the tube they covered it all 3 times. The Last time it lasted 8 rounds for sight in and started to rotate so that was the end of the Diamondback) many will say there are good and bad in all scopes. I have been shooting for over 40 years and I have had two scope failures a Vortex Diamondback and a Simmons Shotgun Scope (The Simmons died after almost 20 years so I feel I got my monies worth out of it for a $60 scope)
Posted By: EdP

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 09:33 PM

I have two Diamondback HPs and two Vipers and I am happy with all of them for the price. They are not as clear and sharp as my Leupold VX-R Firedot or VX-Freedom, but were not as expensive either. The Crossfire line is made in China and I would not buy one of them. They get lots of poor reviews on various forums. The Diamondback HP is a mid-step up from the Diamondback towards the Viper. Last I checked the Diamondback and Viper lines were made in the Phillippines, as are Burris and other well respected scopes. I also like that Vortex seemed to offer more scopes with side parallax adjustment than many other mfgs in the mag range and price range when I was shopping.

A note about the Vortex scopes I own verses my Leupolds. The Vortex have finer reticle crosshairs than the Leupolds. When target shooting I think that is an advantage and it is certainly not a disadvantage hunting in good light. Hunting in low light the thicker Leupold reticle is easier to see.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 09:39 PM

[quote=GREENCOUNTYPETE]I like my 4-12 Vortex Diamondback , 6-24 seems like a lot of magnification , how far do you plan to shoot , you know 308 drops sub sonic just past 1100 yards

good mid grade scope excellent warranty , trust me they have people abuse the warranty and they keep offering it my son was talking with some guys that air soft and they put vortex on their air soft so that when they break it running into trees and such running around the woods they get them replaced

Guess thats a good review crazy
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 10:08 PM

500 yds target

he can't see 50 yards, let alone 500!!
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 10:51 PM

I went with an Athlon scope on the new rifle

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/24/22 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by jeff karsten
[quote=GREENCOUNTYPETE]I like my 4-12 Vortex Diamondback , 6-24 seems like a lot of magnification , how far do you plan to shoot , you know 308 drops sub sonic just past 1100 yards

good mid grade scope excellent warranty , trust me they have people abuse the warranty and they keep offering it my son was talking with some guys that air soft and they put vortex on their air soft so that when they break it running into trees and such running around the woods they get them replaced

Guess thats a good review crazy

I said Like mine it does well at 12 power at 440 yards haven't shot it further I can see decently to 880

I have several votex optics I have had to send a Prism sight back for an electronic issue , simple and they sent me a new one that is working well.

from talking with the Guys at Vortex when we are out there for a match , they really do see some stuff that was absolutely in no way their fault at all , but they choose Awesome customer support to be their Hill to die on. so your probably paying for the replacement in the price but that doesn't move them much out of the competitors price range
Posted By: cotton

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/25/22 12:21 AM

Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 mm

Was going to put one of these on an AR 10. Price tag is 435 with mounts. Thoughts?

i got one on my .300 rum and it's a really good scope
Posted By: martyd

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/25/22 12:46 AM

I have a Vortex 4-16x44 ( I think that is power I have not shot it in a year ) on Ruger American 7.62x39 bolt gun.
I think I paid 239.00 on sale. I have been happy with it but it is a 200 yard gun I use in brush or on edge of woods. I think just depends on your application. I also have a Sightron lll
10-50x60 on a 6.5 creedmoor I use for all kinds of hunting. Why….. I don’t have to have a pair of binoculars hanging around my neck. Ha ha. MD
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/25/22 12:47 AM

Same here Diamond Back 6 x 24 50mm I have it on my Christensen Arms Mesa 7mm mag it shoots 1.5" groups at 300 yards,I'm very pleased with it.

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/25/22 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by nate
No fan here, high end Nikon or Burris are way better and in the same price range

Nikon got out of the Gun optics game in 2019 they are no more
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/25/22 01:08 AM

I did not know that about Nikon, they made a good scope, have several. To the OP I have a vortex 5x25x56 on a .308 I have been satisfied with FWIW
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/25/22 01:43 AM

We have some Vortex scopes and any future purchases will be Vortex. We also have their binoculars, which I love as well.

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/25/22 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by JOCO1995
I did not know that about Nikon, they made a good scope, have several. To the OP I have a vortex 5x25x56 on a .308 I have been satisfied with FWIW

the Nikon 2-7x32 was my go-to for a while for hunting guns then I went Vortex 2-7x32
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/25/22 02:51 AM

I shot with that very same scope recently mounted on a very accurate 243. I sighted in at 100 yards with the objective set at 100 yards and with the power set at 12. Three shot group, sub-minute, in the bullseye.
I then cranked it up to 24 power, and shot another tight group, but at 1.25 above the bullseye. No sale. Off it came.
The phrase, "You get what you pay for," is the gospel when it comes to scopes.
Posted By: hillbillyjake

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/25/22 09:50 AM

Have you looked at the Venom? I think they're around $499. More features and better glass to my eyes.
Posted By: varmintshooter

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/25/22 10:59 AM

You should check out Arken scopes. I have scopes from most optic companies and this is a really nice scope at a ridiculous price.
Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/25/22 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by 52Carl
I shot with that very same scope recently mounted on a very accurate 243. I sighted in at 100 yards with the objective set at 100 yards and with the power set at 12. Three shot group, sub-minute, in the bullseye.
I then cranked it up to 24 power, and shot another tight group, but at 1.25 above the bullseye. No sale. Off it came.
The phrase, "You get what you pay for," is the gospel when it comes to scopes.

I had a Nikon that was like this. It would be Off 3 inches at 25 yards by adjusting the zoom. 3-9 though.
Posted By: RGW

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/25/22 12:27 PM

I have several of them in the Viper line. And Vortex is just like any other company. The higher end lines are higher quality. Get what you can afford and you will be happy with them. I can tell you that March 2nd I lost my house to a fire. Safes did their job as far as severe heat and damage but soot covered everything in them. Vortex sent me boxes and shipping labels for them at no charge and said that they would inspect and repair or replace. I'll be honest I was a little skeptical. They inspected all of them and determined that most could be cleaned up and were fine. Others, the soot deteriorated the lens coatings or had the nitrogen seals purged from the heat. They replaced all that could not be repaired at no cost. And they have been great to deal with. Meopta and Zeiss same story and beleive it or not Nikon too. But figure this, I had one Night Force on a bench gun and they are not as user friendly by a long shot.
Anyway, all scope manufactures have grades, lines, series or whatever they call them for a reason. To be able to market to more people. As price goes up so does quality and in some cases warranties. And don't short yourself on rings and bases either. Bad foundation = bad structure.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/25/22 02:07 PM

You get what you pay for
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/25/22 03:28 PM

I put a Vortex 2x7 on my A17-.17hmr. The eye piece adjustment was great for focus. I don't need to wear my cheater glasses.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Vortex scope opinions - 03/25/22 04:17 PM

Take the advice and look through them first. Everyones eyes are different. To my eyes the Crossfire is one of the worst scopes I've ever looked through, as bad or worse than the old, cheap Tascos. Diamondback is good for the money, not a high end scope by any means, but I have a few on 22s and 22 mags, and my mom runs one on her 308. Better than most other scopes in their price range. My eyes don't like their Viper line, to my eyes the Diamondback glass is superior, but most other people think differently, so again look before you buy. I think the Razor has great glass, but my wife far preferred Zeiss when shopping for her.

I have heard some people have had issues with clocking and repeatability if you are planning to dial for windage and elevation at longer ranges, I'm not sure how often this is an issue or if it has been resolved in newer scopes, so do a little research if this would affect you.

Personally I'm a Leupold fan on scopes (I don't care for their binoculars) and while I have half a dozen scope brands on different guns, over half my guns are sporting Leupold. Next most common is Vortex Diamondback for lower end stuff. For long range I use the Leupold Mark IV, there are lots of options out there, including newer and fancier models from Leupold, but the Mark IV has fantastic glass for my eyes, I've never looked through anything I liked better, and they have been utterly reliable. Leupold supposedly has a great warranty and customer service, I can't attest to this as I've never had to use it on all the Leupold scopes I've owned. Vortex has a reputation for great warranty and customer service also, unlike most other brands I haven't had to send one of their scopes in to test it. Everyone I know who has had their Diamondback binoculars and uses and abuses them extensively though has sent them back at least once, and there has never been a quibble from Vortex and their service has been fast and painless.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums