Home

FHA

Posted By: LDW

FHA - 03/26/22 04:16 AM

What happened today at FHA? How did the coyotes sell?
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: FHA - 03/26/22 05:31 AM

Coyotes did better than I thought they would. Top lot was $112.00. Seemed to be movement in better goods. There were 33 buyers that bought coyotes. A few bought several thousand pelts. A few bought just a handful. I have no idea what percent sold. If I had to make a guess, $15,00 sold for $32.00. Value $8.00 sold for $23.00.

Muskrats, limited interest. I think the top lot was $7.00

Raccoon - some interest. The majority of the values were in the single digits.

Wild mink - interest in only the better goods. Top lot was the second string at $14.00. By the time they got to page 2, very little interest. Pages 3 and 4;were completely bought back.
Posted By: LDW

Re: FHA - 03/26/22 08:25 AM

Thank you, Wissmiss
Posted By: Lance Squires

Re: FHA - 03/26/22 03:32 PM

I sold 5 coyotes at $9.00 each, 1 at $10.00, 1 at $5.50 and 1 at $0.50 which I should never have put up. I didn't start trapping until 2 weeks after the season opened. All the rest of my coyote were unsold. I sold 3 coon, 2 each at $28.00 and 1 at $4.00.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: FHA - 03/26/22 03:38 PM

$20 average on coons is pretty darn good, albeit Wisconsin coons can be at the top of the western heavies. Congrats!

Re: FHA - 03/26/22 03:41 PM

Thanks. It appears I should have spent more time trapping coon but we really have a coyote problem here that needed some thinning. May have to re-think my strategy next season.

Re: FHA - 03/26/22 04:02 PM

Wisconsin's opening date of mid October allows for many trappers/hunters to catch a lot of unprime and unsalable coon, however that's what your state wildlife agency wants. Lots of coon taken to reduce populations, they're not concerned with how much the pelts are worth to the individual fur taker, just reducing the population to avoid crop, small game or any kind of damage.
Posted By: mark van haele

Re: FHA - 03/26/22 04:26 PM

can somebody tell me what wissmiss just said, !

Re: FHA - 03/26/22 04:27 PM

That's probably true but our coon also hole up when the weather turns cold and that can be as early as mid-November some years. When the fur prices were higher, I would start taking coon the day the season opened and still sold them all with averages over $20 and some years much higher. In the last few years, I don't even try for them until November.
Posted By: Jpwilson

Re: FHA - 03/26/22 05:56 PM

Anybody catch how western cats sold?
Posted By: coonman220

Re: FHA - 03/26/22 06:01 PM

Probly very best top lot coon for $28, most were in single digits ? Lot buybacks ?
Posted By: The Beav

Re: FHA - 03/26/22 06:12 PM

I sold my fur In the country. I know that next year I'm spending more time hunting deer. Somebody else will have to trap those coyotes. LOL

Re: FHA - 03/26/22 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by mark van haele
can somebody tell me what wissmiss just said, !

What part don’t you understand? I’ll be happy to explain.

Re: FHA - 03/26/22 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jpwilson

Cats are all over the place. I didn’t compare prices with section, just glanced at the numbers. $300.00 seems to be the magic number. Anything valued at $500.00 is unsold.
Posted By: mark van haele

Re: FHA - 03/26/22 06:48 PM

What does $15.00 sold for $32.00 mean, sorry im dumb!!!
Posted By: Jpwilson

Re: FHA - 03/26/22 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
Originally Posted by Jpwilson

Cats are all over the place. I didn’t compare prices with section, just glanced at the numbers. $300.00 seems to be the magic number. Anything valued at $500.00 is unsold.

Thanks! I have had a great grade on a cat there for 3 years now really Hoping to see my account updated that it sold before they consider it stale and throw it out!

Re: FHA - 03/26/22 06:56 PM

$15.00 was the FH valuation (what they thought it was worth. $32.00 was the price it sold for. More than double the valuation.

Guess I could have been clearer in my post. Sorry.

And you’re not dumb. Looking back I can see where it would be confusing.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: FHA - 03/26/22 07:47 PM

I was kinda scratchin my head on that to.Thanks for clarifying

Re: FHA - 03/26/22 07:58 PM

Now that I have reread my post, I’m thinking I forgot to type part of what I wanted to say. Sorry.

Must be brain fog from watch an auction on the internet. It is easier to pay attention in a room of real people with an auctioneer yelling numbers out loud. LOL
Posted By: walleyed

Re: FHA - 03/26/22 08:11 PM

Now that I have reread my post, I’m thinking I forgot to type part of what I wanted to say. Sorry.

Must be brain fog from watch an auction on the internet. It is easier to pay attention in a room of real people with an auctioneer yelling numbers out loud. LOL

You'd better shape up, Nancy.

If you don't start getting it right, we're
going to have to cut your pay !!! laugh

walleyed

Re: FHA - 03/26/22 09:46 PM

Oh NO!!!!! Not a pay cut!!!! How will I manage???

The way I look at it is, IF I were to take a pay cut, I would have to pay Paul (or somebody) for the privilege of posting on Tman. And that isn’t going to happen! LOL

Re: FHA - 03/26/22 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lance Squires
That's probably true but our coon also hole up when the weather turns cold and that can be as early as mid-November some years. When the fur prices were higher, I would start taking coon the day the season opened and still sold them all with averages over $20 and some years much higher. In the last few years, I don't even try for them until November.

Early season coon used to be worth money, just significantly less than a few weeks later when they are a lot better. And I remember when I paid less than $5K for a new Ford F-100 4x4, not anymore, same with unprime fur.
Posted By: cathryn

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I sold my fur In the country. I know that next year I'm spending more time hunting deer. Somebody else will have to trap those coyotes. LOL

So tell me Beav..... how much does deer hunting pay? smile
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by cathryn

In defence of the Beav, steak price is about 13-14 $ # . Personally I don't realy care to hunt ,most of my hunting is done wile trapping, kill 2 birds with one stone so to say.

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 02:26 AM

In defence of the Beav, steak price is about 13-14 $ # . Personally I don't realy care to hunt ,most of my hunting is done wile trapping, kill 2 birds with one stone so to say.

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 12:19 PM

Beaver is first up this morning. 7 pages in, they are selling about 100%. Not sure if that will continue when they get to the 1X size.

I’ll report back in a couple of hours. In the mean time, back to sleep - 515 AM in north idaho. smile

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 12:34 PM

Beaver is first up this morning. 7 pages in, they are selling about 100%. Not sure if that will continue when they get to the 1X size.

I’ll report back in a couple of hours. In the mean time, back to sleep - 515 AM in north idaho. smile

Oh man now I have to become a beaver trapper. cry probably not except to put some meat on the table. I do hope beaver make there run, it's over due.

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 02:34 PM

Appears that Beaver are doing quite well in the bigger sizes that are winter type northern goods, and good clearances of nice fur to. Fall beaver and anything more than a slight look to still be priced at hatter money. Red rumps are strong in big sizes. I'm betting smaller sizes will drop back to hatter prices, except for dark colors, $28 for LM dark is pretty good, even dark semi's are currently bid at $18.
Posted By: atrapper

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 02:43 PM

Interesting Wolfer. That’s good news. I would assume most of these beaver are still going to the hatter market. What are these shearables being used for and who’s buying them?

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 02:57 PM

Don't yet know who's buying them, it appears they are being competed for by a number of buyers if they are big and good (winter), pretty good beaver clearances on this first sale. As Nancy says, let's see if it follows through the entire catalog. At these prices the certainly aren't being ground up for hats.

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 03:03 PM

Good slight 55" heavy dark beaver just sold for $18, a marked improvement from last year's $9. Somebody's buying these for at least one bid over hatter prices (unless the hatter market picked up in the last day or two).

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by wy.wolfer
Don't yet know who's buying them, it appears they are being competed for by a number of buyers if they are big and good (winter), pretty good beaver clearances on this first sale. As Nancy says, let's see if it follows through the entire catalog. At these prices the certainly aren't being ground up for hats.

Maybe Rosie O wants a sheered beaver. grin
Posted By: albrahal

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 03:27 PM

What page of the beaver sale are they currently on?

Thanks!

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 04:08 PM

At this second they're on page 34 of 45. Better clearances than we've had for a long time, for the first sale of the season, given the war in Europe, Covid, China's equity markets crumbling, etc. Beaver and Otter have had healthy bump up's in price. I'll add the caveat that 2 times nothing is still not enough.
Posted By: waggler

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 04:18 PM

Have marten sold yet?
I heard of what I consider crazy high prices at a western sale that occurred yesterday (Saturday).
Especially considering they were rocky mountain/cascade type.
Posted By: drasselt

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 04:21 PM

One guy posted these marten prices:

SABLE
LOT# DESCRIPTION STOCK # QTY PRICE EXTENDED
30007 3X-2X SELECT & I PL 2 102030053 1 $70.00 $70.00
30030 1X SELECT & I PL-XPL 3 102030073 1 Unsold to be re-offered
30126 1X I PL 102030119 1 $47.00 $47.00
30130 1X I PL-XPL 3 102030127 1 $39.00 $39.00

Average: $52.00 Sold: 3 Unsold: 1 SubTotal $156.00
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 04:39 PM

Marten are at least holding with last 2 years and I think even up a bit. Explanation was a couple of weeks ago, after the Helsinki/Saga sale, 32,000 Russian farm and wild sable sold well. They sold well (relative to last 2 years) because those will be the last sable to come out of Russia for the foreseeable future. Even with Ukraine and Russia out of the consuming market (where they are both big sable consumers) the demand for the market is enough to keep the price up. That means North American marten are the only ones on the international market for the foreseeable future. And BTW first 5 lots were withdrawn so they are holding for better price for better goods. A buddy here sold 13/18 for $47.31 average with his best 3 in the top 5 lots unsold. (We have marten here that always match the best Alaskan sections).

What you hearing Wissmiss?

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
Have marten sold yet?
I heard of what I consider crazy high prices at a western sale that occurred yesterday (Saturday).
Especially considering they were rocky mountain/cascade type.

What western sale was yesterday? Just curious. Thanks
Posted By: Northof50

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 04:57 PM

now don't get on Beav nerves
you know with his eye sight now the deer have to be bigger than the broad side of the barn door for him to score a hit.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by crosspatch
Marten are at least holding with last 2 years and I think even up a bit. Explanation was a couple of weeks ago, after the Helsinki/Saga sale, 32,000 Russian farm and wild sable sold well. They sold well (relative to last 2 years) because those will be the last sable to come out of Russia for the foreseeable future. Even with Ukraine and Russia out of the consuming market (where they are both big sable consumers) the demand for the market is enough to keep the price up. That means North American marten are the only ones on the international market for the foreseeable future. And BTW first 5 lots were withdrawn so they are holding for better price for better goods. A buddy here sold 13/18 for $47.31 average with his best 3 in the top 5 lots unsold. (We have marten here that always match the best Alaskan sections).

Like finding a unicorn, but finally something Joe Biden did, even if by mistake, might be turning into a good thing?
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 05:01 PM

I'll be mostly interested to see what the Section III beaver do in the XXL sizes.

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 05:07 PM

Crosspatch - I think the proper term for the first 5 lots of sable is Bought Back (unsold). They were not withdrawn. They are available for sale if any one wants to pay FH price.

Nit picking I know - but that is the kind of mood I’m in today and it is only 10 AM!!

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
I'll be mostly interested to see what the Section III beaver do in the XXL sizes.

Section III dam. XXLG beaver started out at $14 and by the time the looooong string was done they were at $17.50, there you go dirt.
Posted By: Sask hunter

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 05:23 PM

Anyones accounts updated to show beavers sold? Just wondering if I had five unlucky ones that never sold at this hot beaver sale lol

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 05:27 PM

Mine aren't. I think it usually is updated on seller accounts at the end of the day.

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by wy.wolfer

Section III dam. XXLG beaver started out at $14 and by the time the looooong string was done they were at $17.50, there you go dirt.

Thanks Wolfer! That is quite an improvement from last year.

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 05:31 PM

Both beaver and otter have had a nice bump.
Posted By: TRAPPER-ED

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 05:33 PM

I still have a cat and coyote, been there since last year, I see they still haven't sold yet.
Posted By: MICHDEER

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 05:47 PM

Any one know what beaver lot 10002 went for?

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by MICHDEER
Any one know what beaver lot 10002 went for?

$51.00

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 06:07 PM

Crosspatch - I think the proper term for the first 5 lots of sable is Bought Back (unsold). They were not withdrawn. They are available for sale if any one wants to pay FH price.

Nit picking I know - but that is the kind of mood I’m in today and it is only 10 AM!!

Correct but I use the terms interchangeably - my bad.

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 06:48 PM

Looks like red fox are doing well also, the sale has not started yet but online bidding appears to be really active, and already much higher than expected.
Posted By: cat catcher

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 06:51 PM

That’s good to hear, hopefully lynx get some interest.

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 06:54 PM

They are on page 3 of the red fox. Prices don’t look that great, except for the first lot. But they are selling some.
Posted By: Musty

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 07:16 PM

Washington state trappers association winter rendezvous/fur sale was yesterday.

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Musty

Washington state trappers association winter rendezvous/fur sale was yesterday.

Thanks. Must be a private event. Not well advertised.
Posted By: MICHDEER

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 08:00 PM

Thanks

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 08:12 PM

So tell me Beav..... how much does deer hunting pay?

It sure beats going to the store and buying meat.

So how much does It cost to trap 100 coyotes.? Consider time In the shed time on the road, wear and tear on the truck Fuel and tires and maintenance costs . License fees, housing, traps and lure. If you ever really sat down and did the math your fur check would look a lot smaller.
Posted By: foxhunter52

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 08:21 PM

Has anyone's coyote or cat sales been updated to their account yet? Just wondering when that ususally happens.
Posted By: claycreech

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 08:52 PM

So I saw folks comment that otter prices were up some?
Anybody sell any that you can show prices?
Posted By: d2009

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 09:25 PM

Im with you Beav, im gonna enjoy myself deer hunting this fall!
Posted By: Mitch20

Re: FHA - 03/27/22 10:20 PM

Foxhunter I had coyote updates theday they sold late in the day. No updates on bobcats yet, or they didn't sell. New to FHA so I don't know when it usually happens. My experience is that there is no USUAL with them.

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch20
Foxhunter I had coyote updates theday they sold late in the day. No updates on bobcats yet, or they didn't sell. New to FHA so I don't know when it usually happens. My experience is that there is no USUAL with them.

They must have been proud of those coyote prices. Information has been pretty scarce on the other species. I do miss the old days with live auction feed and real time updates from NAFA.

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 03:11 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 04:10 AM

Any word on the lynx?

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by cat catcher
Any word on the lynx?

Snooze fest on the better goods. First 2 pages were basically all bought back.

Once they got to the commercial goods and priced at under $100.00. Sales picked up significantly, many sold under $50.00.

At least the best are still available.

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 04:54 AM

Thanks for all the updates wissmiss I appreciate it. See how my Wolverine do tomorrow.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 04:57 AM

Any word on the lynx?

Snooze fest on the better goods. First 2 pages were basically all bought back.

Once they got to the commercial goods and priced at under $100.00. Sales picked up significantly, many sold under $50.00.

At least the best are still available.

Thats too bad.The Lynx numbers have picked up here considerably. A guy could rack up a good catch again. I have them walking through the yard again.

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 05:15 AM

Yeah are population is up here in Atlin area and could catch a lot of them.

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 11:37 AM

Day 5 and still no updates to my account. Has anybody seen any activity?
Posted By: kingrat

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 12:16 PM

My beavers are updated now
Posted By: albrahal

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 01:00 PM

My beavers updated within the last hours as well.
Posted By: ponyboy

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 01:05 PM

I hope they are still updating more beaver. Only 4 smalls listed as sold.

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 01:13 PM

I've had pricing on coon, coyote and beaver. Nothing on the muskrats.
Posted By: gibb

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lance Squires
I've had pricing on coon, coyote and beaver. Nothing on the muskrats.

That because the muskrats didn't sell during the auction, they may sell some PT after the auction closes but you will not see that in your account until awhile after the sale or only when you receive your fur check.

I sold 1 beaver out of 31 not looking to encouraging.
Posted By: Squash

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 01:52 PM

My beaver are updated, 3x-2x selects and 3x-2x I-II $23-$35.
LG-MD SLT-DMG $3.50-$10.50
LG-1x selects no sale.

Had one 3x-2x select hvy left from last auction no sale. Must have been a string way down on the list. Just like local auctions, once the buyers buy all they want or run out of money, if you are down the list your fur does not sell ?

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 01:55 PM

Unsold lots from previous auctions are most often listed after the fresh goods. Less likely to sell but eventually they do sell - either market price increase or value lowered.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 02:48 PM

Any word on the lynx?

The price tanned in winnipeg

Still over $350 Canadian.

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 03:09 PM

I only had two left over beaver on this sale and they apparently didn't sell. a 1X and a L
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 04:14 PM

Had a few lynx go for $130US and $94US. better than the past few years but still a ways to go.
Posted By: Mitch20

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 04:18 PM

Bobcat results showed up this morning. All I had from last sale sold. Not great or terrible either way.

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
Any word on the lynx?

Jumbo ones are 425 lol.
We have a hard time getting 100 dollars

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 05:19 PM

Any word on the lynx?

Jumbo are 425$ plus taxes

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 05:22 PM

The zoo auction part is crazy; sure a lot of pent up buyers;
utility wolves are gonzo in prices

must be a lot of fishing lodges trying to replace their wall hangers after being shut down for so many years.

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 05:25 PM

Wife did some business with the guy in winnipeg. Sent her a catalog. There are some eyepoppers there. A minimum 100% mark up after purchase and tanning. IMO

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 05:30 PM

Yup the zoo is going crazy - wolverine and now black bear. Skunks will be nuts too, I’ve seen the current bidding.

Even the dressed fur is doing well on the beaver. Those pelts have been offered on several auctions without interest and now there is interest.
Posted By: Boco

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 05:50 PM

Wife did some business with the guy in winnipeg. Sent her a catalog. There are some eyepoppers there. A minimum 100% mark up after purchase and tanning. IMO

That is actually a bit low for industry standard at retail.Normally around 125%.

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 06:33 PM

Dirt have you tried these guys ? those prices will be much better here.
https://www.outfitters.ca/

Lynx are not listed but will be in supply in 6-8 weeks and some with feet on.
Posted By: ack

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 10:10 PM

I had 22 beaver held over from last year. As of now nothing has sold.
A couple of them graded " 3X-2X SELECT HVY BRN".
A couple rats and coon as well not sold.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by ack

Ack, I only had 1 5X-4X A-B raccoon and 3 coyotes from last year on the auction. None sold.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 10:20 PM

Only thing on mine that is marked sold are some of the beaver and my fishers. I wonder if they are done marking everything down.?.

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 10:53 PM

The auction is still going on. In the misc items now. 9 pages to go and the auction will be done - finished - over with.

I have not heard if they are doing any private treaty or not, so there is a chance they will continue to update accounts over the next several days.

Prompt date is April 11, so things might not be completely settled until then.
Posted By: Sask hunter

Re: FHA - 03/28/22 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by ack

I had leftover beavers as well and the lot numbers don’t match any of the current beaver kits so I’m assuming mine sold before the sale. Maybe yours did too?
Posted By: sjc

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by ack

I also had some with that grade that apparently didn't sell...
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 12:35 AM

Did they sell even 1 lot of the mighty, gem in the fur shed, opossum...? C'mon man, some of those little beauties couldn't have escaped the gavel once again!

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 12:53 AM

7 lots of possum were sold. Some at 10 cents each. Possum have a 25 cent per pelt handling fee.

Which shoots a really big hole in the statement that pelts are graded as NV and disposed of because those pelts won’t sell for enough to cover the handling fee.

Last time I checked 10 cents is less than 25 cents. SO a 10 cent possum is actually a 35 cent possum!!

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 01:14 AM

7 lots of possum were sold. Some at 10 cents each. Possum have a 25 cent per pelt handling fee.

Which shoots a really big hole in the statement that pelts are graded as NV and disposed of because those pelts won’t sell for enough to cover the handling fee.

Last time I checked 10 cents is less than 25 cents. SO a 10 cent possum is actually a 35 cent possum!!

Yeah, there's probably some logic in there somewhere.

I know the next time I put up a Dakota grinner, that product will be heading to ebay to be sold as is. Of course the real money in possums is selling those skulls of a big boar. Some people dig those semi-scimitar canines...

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 02:16 AM

This 300 of 1000 foxes* No Value either a pile of crap or the foxes were crap. Crap either way you cut it.

*On the "FHA Grades Posted". thread. Gibb and Boco called it same in kinder words.
Posted By: ponyboy

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 01:21 PM

Right about now I believe Catt County Trappers Association Fur Auction at Hinsdale NY is a great place to sell. I think Fur Harvesters could do a lot better job updating their website during the auction and keeping trappers informed. It takes just a few minutes to make a statement and post something on a site this day and age. Transparency and updates go a long way. Maybe they could have someone up there start a post on trapperman.com during auction week.
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by ponyboy
Right about now I believe Catt County Trappers Association Fur Auction at Hinsdale NY is a great place to sell. I think Fur Harvesters could do a lot better job updating their website during the auction and keeping trappers informed. It takes just a few minutes to make a statement and post something on a site this day and age. Transparency and updates go a long way. Maybe they could have someone up there start a post on trapperman.com during auction week.

You mean like this?

https://furharvesters.com/results/2022/March/march22us.pdf
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 01:25 PM

Pony up your time

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 01:33 PM

In the past, FH (and NAFA when they were in business) had an employee or two that would post on Tman about various issues concerning grading and selling fur.

Those threads quickly turned into arguments for what ever reason - some one didn’t like r the way fur was graded, the auction company had lost 2 of their possum, etc. Instead of informative posts, it turned into a mess. After that, employees were instructed not to post on Tman. But they still do read and follow every thread that involves them.
Posted By: MJM

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Saskfly

Does that cover all the fur shipped or just the cherry picked? I would much rather see the entire sale with grades, and quantities. When 50% sells what 50% was it?

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 02:01 PM

They will eventually post the sold catalog. Then you will have to make an effort to figure out what sold. Hopefully, they do this before the next LRD.

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 02:30 PM

I wonder if they'll cut me a check for 30 cents (minus their 3 cents commission) if say I sold 3 out of my 5 grinners up there..? A question for the ages!!

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 03:30 PM

No. Your check will be declared n/v and burned.

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by NonPCfed
I wonder if they'll cut me a check for 30 cents (minus their 3 cents commission) if say I sold 3 out of my 5 grinners up there..? A question for the ages!!

If you read the their terms of the sale, you would know , sales less than $5, checks are not issued. Held until your account sales are over $5.
Posted By: Computer Hater

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 04:02 PM

And they collect interest on that $5.00 the whole time until you sell more fur!! grin grin grin grin
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 04:10 PM

their internet in the whole area is down right now

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 04:32 PM

If you read the their terms of the sale, you would know , sales less than $5, checks are not issued. Held until your account sales are over $5.

Maybe the one held over 3x select a-b coon sold for $6, so then with my grinners minus commission, I'll get my magical $5 check wink
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by ratbrain
Originally Posted by ack

Ack, I only had 1 5X-4X A-B raccoon and 3 coyotes from last year on the auction. None sold.

I don't think there are any 5x coon unsold period

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 04:55 PM

For those of you with unsold goods, FH is doing Private Treaty. I have no idea how much interest there is from the buyers but there is hope that more goods will sell. I have no idea when those sales will be posted and accounts updated.

Prompt date - closing date for this auction - is April 11th. Accounts will be final at that time. Checks will be issued at some point after that.

In one of the FH threads, some said they wished FH did live auction feeds. They did do live auction feeds when the auctions were live. A “live feed” of an on line auction is BORING!!! There is nothing to hear. No reader board to look at.

The auction is set up that a lot closes every 20 seconds. Whether there are bids or not, the lots close 20 seconds apart. A live feed would consist of clicking the refresh button ever 20 seconds. There are 20 lots per auction page. If it is a page that no buyer is interested in, you will spend 6.66667 minutes clicking through a page of nothing. That assumes you click every 20 seconds.

No matter if goods are selling or not, it still takes 6.66667 minutes to sell a page, every pages. If the are 10 pages in that species, it takes over an hour to go through that species, whether the lots sell or not.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 05:03 PM

When do they update accounts with PT sales that happened before the auction?

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 05:17 PM

I have no idea.

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 05:40 PM

I posted this earlier. but there were several of my bobcats that had lot #s that didn't show up in the auction catalog. I called fur harvestors and ask why that was. The answer I got was they must have sold prior to the auction privately. My account hasn't been updated to reflect that, but the cats that had auction lot #'s in the catalog sold, and those have been updated in my account. I'm hoping to get word on the others soon.

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 06:27 PM

The bottom line at FH is that things happen on their schedule. They have been in business for many years. They have a schedule. Phone calls to them just slow down the process. Right now they are selling items PT and getting invoices sent out to buyers. Buyers need invoices so they can pay FH and in turn FH can pay you.

If you wait patiently until April 11th, everything will be updated.

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 06:34 PM

Thank you for the encouragement wissmiss. Patience is a virtue I'm still working on. It just doesn't seem to stick. wink

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by foxhunter52
Thank you for the encouragement wissmiss. Patience is a virtue I'm still working on. It just doesn't seem to stick. wink

Yeah, and you would think trappers would have patience ? If I don’t catch something in my traps the first 24 hrs., I usually leave them there for a few days. LOL

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 07:13 PM

I understand that having patience is difficult for some people, especially younger folks.

I started shipping to Canadian auction companies back in the “dark ages” - early 1980s before all this fancy technology like internet and computers were around. Back then, you shipped your goods to a receiving depot for the auction house, they most likely snail mailed you a confirmation that they had your furs. Then you went about your regular life for a couple months. You knew about when the auction was but it didn’t mean a whole lot. A couple weeks after the sale, you checked your snail mail box and there was a check and a grade sheet. You deposited or cashed the check and went on with your life.

No checking the computer every 5 minutes to see if your account had been updated because we didn’t have computers. No discussions on the internet about grades and prices because the internet didn’t exist.

Any one else remember the “dark ages” when life was a lot simpler??? smile

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 08:04 PM

That coincides with what I remember too. Amazing we survived without knowing what had happened within minutes or hours.

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 08:11 PM

Definately see the point. However, if I'd have had the ability back then to know immediately, you can bet I would have jumped on that. Just not in my DNA to be patient unless there is no other choice. I know, it's a real character flaw.

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 08:14 PM

I don't think there are any 5x coon unsold period[/quote]
MB It is a West Heavy Slight damage. My account says unsold.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 08:32 PM

I am glad I had 4 mink sell for $26.50 so my 50 cent coyote from last year will now be added to my check!!! Wow 1/3rd of a cup of coffee. I questioned when I dispatch the YOY yote if I should take it home and I talked myself out of that and put it up. My 5xl-4xl coon was a C color so that brought only $6.50. My 5 largest coons were all males and color was off.

Bryce

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by bblwi
I am glad I had 4 mink sell for $26.50 so my 50 cent coyote from last year will now be added to my check!!! Wow 1/3rd of a cup of coffee. I questioned when I dispatch the YOY yote if I should take it home and I talked myself out of that and put it up. My 5xl-4xl coon was a C color so that brought only $6.50. My 5 largest coons were all males and color was off.

Bryce

Bryce I have a Section IV coyote that wasn't sold. Had I known it was a bad fur I would of had it tanned.
Posted By: Guy Johnson

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 09:22 PM

Yes Nancy I remember them so well1 We had alot more fun back then!!!

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 09:38 PM

Ratbrain - what would you do with a Grade IV coyote once you tanned it? Just curious. Thanks

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 10:08 PM

Ratbrain - what would you do with a Grade IV coyote once you tanned it? Just curious. Thanks

Hang it in the spare bedroom with my other section IV coyote. That one was obviously damaged by lice, down to the wool on the ribcage!

Re: FHA - 03/29/22 11:37 PM

You know I thought about that. It would have been better to practice on a very poor pelt that has little to know value. Only thing lost is a couple bucks some time and a bit of pride.

Bryce
Posted By: sjc

Re: FHA - 03/30/22 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by sjc
Originally Posted by ack

I also had some with that grade that apparently didn't sell...

I see my beaver with this grade are now updated on my account as having sold for $33.50 each.

Re: FHA - 03/30/22 12:47 PM

The bottom line at FH is that things happen on their schedule. They have been in business for many years. They have a schedule. Phone calls to them just slow down the process. Right now they are selling items PT and getting invoices sent out to buyers. Buyers need invoices so they can pay FH and in turn FH can pay you.

If you wait patiently until April 11th, everything will be updated.

I understand the need to be patient, and that everything will eventually be updated. But from a logistics standpoint, FHA is running pickup routes right now for the next sale in June. Our drop off in northern MN is tomorrow. Current updated account information would certainly help in making an informed decision about sending another batch of fur.

Re: FHA - 03/30/22 12:54 PM

That's part of their plan. Keep the trapper In the dark.

Re: FHA - 03/30/22 02:00 PM

SALE RESULTS – MARCH 24-28, 2022
PRICES SHOWN IN US DOLLARS
This is now our 3rd year selling utilizing our in house developed online auction platform. Our desire to host a live auction was made impossible for several reasons. Much of China began locking down weeks before our sale and continues to be as China has a zero tolerance to the Covid virus. China expressed a strong desire to purchase fur prior to our decision being made on which style of auction we would choose to conduct. A live auction would have taken much of the Chinese orders off the table so the call was made in February to go with our online auction platform.
As well, Covid cases continue to rise again in parts of Europe making many customers concerned over global travel. On February 24th Russia invaded Ukraine and this war rages on as I write this report. Having said this, it is important to know that both these countries have been enormous supporters for many years, buying the top goods in a great many wild fur species. Ukraine now is in no position to purchase goods and Russia is blocked with sanctions disallowing import of luxury goods from Canada.
Over the past 2 months three major auctions have taken place on the other side of the globe. (ALL ONLINE). The St Petersburg/Baikal Auction had a very good sable sale which concluded just prior to Russia invading Ukraine. The results of this auction have an impact on our sable sale. Having spoken to St Petersburg the last day of this auction I was told prices had advanced but the largest increase was on the paler colors of which we have good quantities. Darker colors received the smallest interest.
Kopenhagen Fur Center’s (KFC) February 2022 auction ended with them selling 5% of their total offering, followed by Finland’s SAGA Furs doing slightly better. On March 23rd, the day before our March auction began, KFC announced they were cancelling their April auction due to the global issues mentioned earlier in this report. Our auction commenced the following day as scheduled.
On March 28th our auction concluded and the overall results, despite all the uncertainly and turmoil, saw many articles sold at advancing levels and strong clearances on many important wild fur species.
We all knew the coyote market was much softer compared to last year and our values were posted and we held to them on the western section and sold as of today approx 35%. Muskrats were the other item that realized low clearance as we valued them at last year’s levels and held to it, but we intend to adjust downward slightly and are optimistic sales will follow in the coming days.
Our sable auction witnessed increased prices and a clearance of 90% overall with the paler colors seeing the greatest increase as was the case at St Petersburg/ Baikal auction prior. Our beaver auction was very good, third section and smaller sizes LM/MED/SM selling for much more than our evaluations, approx. 40%+ higher than last year. The big sizes in the better goods increased as well with a basis on the blankets $5 to $10 more in many grades over last year. In the end beaver realized a 90% clearance. Fisher levels continue to advance with clearances of 96%. We even had increased interest in raccoon with good prices on big sizes in the heavy sections like Canadians and Western USA.
On the better luxury goods remaining unsold we are holding to values as we have a June auction just around the corner and hope the world situation will calm itself somewhat by this time.
Our overall results of this auction in light of all the negative influences facing the world have us looking very good and we are extremely pleased at the end result of this auction. As of this moment we have a lot of interest moving forward looking to our June auction for BEAVER, SABLE, CATS & FISHER, so keep this in mind before meeting the ICE CREAM TRUCK to sell for cash.
The demand for wild fur remains and our results during these troubling times proves this. To all those that support this facility we thank you, as in such unprecedented times loyalty and commitment is paramount and we thank you all for this.
Respectfully
Mark Downey
Chief Executive Officer
Fur Harvesters Auction Inc

Re: FHA - 03/30/22 02:02 PM

I understand that having patience is difficult for some people, especially younger folks.

I started shipping to Canadian auction companies back in the “dark ages” - early 1980s before all this fancy technology like internet and computers were around. Back then, you shipped your goods to a receiving depot for the auction house, they most likely snail mailed you a confirmation that they had your furs. Then you went about your regular life for a couple months. You knew about when the auction was but it didn’t mean a whole lot. A couple weeks after the sale, you checked your snail mail box and there was a check and a grade sheet.

Any one else remember the “dark ages” when life was a lot simpler??? smile

Yes and there was 40+ ladies entering receipts and getting thing in order, one whole floor at Dominion Sudac. Many a farm girl got to work in the city, they hired them if they knew any town names and that was that. Back in 1980 they were entering data on punch cards believe it or not.

Re: FHA - 03/30/22 02:23 PM

That's part of their plan. Keep the trapper In the dark.

Maybe. Overall I think they do a good job with their sales. I don't know if it is intentional or incompetence on the communication part.

Re: FHA - 03/30/22 02:55 PM

If FHA got the right program for the computer, prices would only need loaded once. I can not see how loading numbers into a number of programs can be an advantage. Maybe they already have it and they just want to control what is seen.

Re: FHA - 03/30/22 02:59 PM

I just looked and 1 more mink sold for $6.00 PT. It was a select dk brown. It is not just this auction, but for the last 2-4 sales it seems that the live auctions be they in person or virtual are mostly for establishing price structure for buyers to use to bid during PT times and not for selling a lot of fur during the actual sale. If the auction is open until April 11th it gives buyers two weeks to negotiate prices and sometimes global conditions can change substantially over that time. I can remember the last couple NAFA auctions where valuations were almost always higher and maybe much higher when pelts sold during those downward trending times. The FHA has valuations at fractions of actual selling prices. I don't understand that huge difference in establishing valuations unless it is one way of making us feel better about selling fur at low prices.

Bryce

Re: FHA - 03/30/22 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
If FHA got the right program for the computer, prices would only need loaded once. I can not see how loading numbers into a number of programs can be an advantage. Maybe they already have it and they just want to control what is seen.

That is one thing that seems odd, how various shipper accounts get updated at different times, and certain species. Doesn't appear to be automated much, if at all.
Posted By: ack

Re: FHA - 03/30/22 03:03 PM

[/quote]
I see my beaver with this grade are now updated on my account as having sold for $33.50 each.[/quote]
less.

Yep mine just updated. 33.50 as well.

Re: FHA - 03/30/22 03:16 PM

All things considered you did good at those prices in this day and age. I had one leftover Heavy SLT L, sell for $9 PT
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: FHA - 03/30/22 03:19 PM

Jpwilson,

I was in the same situation. Had a local buyer offer me 350 for my nice bobcat before covid hit. I decided to send to FHA. It graded 3X, Heavy, extra pale, A. Been sitting there ever since. It finally sold at this sale for 650.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: FHA - 03/30/22 03:28 PM

My account got updated overnight. These were furs held over from last season.

19501 3X-2X SELECT HVY BRN 101010373 1 $35.00 $35.00
19533 1X SELECT HVY BRN 101010259 1 $22.00 $22.00
19767 LG GD SLT SEMI BRN 101010398 1 $7.50 $7.50
19852 MD SELECT HVY-SEMI BRN 101010353 3 $3.50 $10.50
19895 SM SELECT XDK-BRN 101010446 1 $2.25 $2.25

Average: $11.04 Sold: 7 Unsold: 0 SubTotal $77.25

Re: FHA - 03/30/22 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbrownie
My account got updated overnight. These were furs held over from last season.

19501 3X-2X SELECT HVY BRN 101010373 1 $35.00 $35.00
19533 1X SELECT HVY BRN 101010259 1 $22.00 $22.00
19767 LG GD SLT SEMI BRN 101010398 1 $7.50 $7.50
19852 MD SELECT HVY-SEMI BRN 101010353 3 $3.50 $10.50
19895 SM SELECT XDK-BRN 101010446 1 $2.25 $2.25

Average: $11.04 Sold: 7 Unsold: 0 SubTotal $77.25

If I'm not mistaken, those all sold PT since the July sale. Those 19,000 lot numbers did not make the March catalog.

Re: FHA - 03/30/22 03:55 PM

Yeah my leftover LG that sold was in 19713. I have another leftover from last year in 10246 (a 1X) that remains unsold.
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: FHA - 03/30/22 04:58 PM

So are all these prices pre commission? I’m a first time shipper and haven’t received my account number yet so have been unable to see my grades etc.

Re: FHA - 03/30/22 05:04 PM

Yes.

Re: FHA - 03/30/22 05:20 PM

Regarding beavers, anything LM or smaller regardless of grade is a leaverite in this market. I averaged $3.65 (after commission) on LM and smaller....and over 60% were select heavy semi. Pull the castor and leaverite there.

Re: FHA - 03/30/22 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by BvrRetriever
Regarding beavers, anything LM or smaller regardless of grade is a leaverite in this market. I averaged $3.65 (after commission) on LM and smaller....and over 60% were select heavy semi. Pull the castor and leaverite there.

I remember one year (late 70's early 80's?) where LM beaver were in high demand because of the good fur and thinner leather. I saw lots of LM's going for $65 at the local OTC sale.

Re: FHA - 03/30/22 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by BvrRetriever

I remember one year (late 70's early 80's?) where LM beaver were in high demand because of the good fur and thinner leather. I saw lots of LM's going for $65 at the local OTC sale.

If there's any saving grace, I had 100% clearance at basement prices!

Re: FHA - 03/31/22 03:48 PM

I had 10 beaver in the auction 100% sold with castor before commission and shipping charge averaged $27.90/ beaver. And that was with 4 slt dg small pelts that brought down my average.
I agree M and smaller beaver it’s
debatable if I will put them up anymore, pull castor and use carcass for coyote hunting bait in winter.

Re: FHA - 03/31/22 08:36 PM

Wow I am rolling in cash due to the PT sales. I had a 2xl 1-11 AB color coon hit $2.00 and a 4lx-3xl 1-11 C-D color coon sell for $1.50.

I never would have guessed that my 8 mink would be the best movers and the highlight of the sale for me. 5 mink sold for $32.50 or $6.50 each.
I am ever so grateful that I chose not to coyote trap on my line this year!!
Bryce

Re: FHA - 04/01/22 12:46 AM

Wow I am rolling in cash due to the PT sales. I had a 2xl 1-11 AB color coon hit $2.00 and a 4lx-3xl 1-11 C-D color coon sell for $1.50.

I never would have guessed that my 8 mink would be the best movers and the highlight of the sale for me. 5 mink sold for $32.50 or $6.50 each.
Bryce

I am rich also Bryce.
I see my only coon, a 5X-4X slight damage A-B sold for $5.50!!!!!!!

Re: FHA - 04/01/22 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by ratbrain

Bryce

I am rich also Bryce.
I see my only coon, a 5X-4X slight damage A-B sold for $5.50!!!!!!!

I'm twice as rich, I had two in that lot or string.

Re: FHA - 04/01/22 02:33 AM

These last years have been humbling for sure for me. I am just so grateful that I can afford due to being fiscally conservative that I can pull money out of my savings to enjoy trapping as much as I do. These are the years where the humor and the satire are more valuable then the pelts for me.
The WTA and our TE program graduated over 1400 grads last year. Many may never trap, some a little a few a lot but mostly we are keeping trapping in the minds of several thousand outdoor persons and the monies to save our heritage in my opinion will more likely come from a many that trap for the passion of trapping and probably not from the very few who trap most of the fur.

Bryce

Re: FHA - 04/01/22 02:55 AM

Nice post Bryce.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: FHA - 04/01/22 05:53 AM

Great results for you guys.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums