Home

Water well guys

Posted By: Spade

Water well guys - 03/31/22 03:46 PM

Last fall ran a water line from a 1-1/4 inch driven well (it was a old hand pump, converted it to electric 1 hp pump) which is located about 150 feet from the cabin, but very little water pressure at that distance. Water from the well head pumps 8 gal per minute, adjusted off-on to 40-60.
Is there any way to add a booster pump between well and cabin? If so can someone recommend one. Blew out the well screen before hooking up the pump.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Water well guys - 03/31/22 03:48 PM

Bigger line to house. Diameter of pipe and distance determines the pressure drop used to move the water.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Water well guys - 03/31/22 03:49 PM

Submersible pump?

Re: Water well guys - 03/31/22 03:57 PM

1 inch line to the cabin, not submersible, just a regular water pump with tank
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Water well guys - 03/31/22 04:08 PM

How big is your holding tank?Holding tank with bladder is how you adjust the house pressure.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Water well guys - 03/31/22 04:46 PM

I'd get a submersible pump to put into the well
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Water well guys - 03/31/22 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce T

It's a 1.25 inch pipe...don't think they make a sub that small.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Water well guys - 03/31/22 04:49 PM

Sounds like he drove a well point.

Re: Water well guys - 03/31/22 04:51 PM

Maybe your lines in the cabin are the restriction. Something is if you're really doing 8 gpm and 40/50 psi a 150 feet away
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Water well guys - 03/31/22 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Yukon John

It's a 1.5 inch pipe...don't think they make a sub that small.

That 1.5 inch pipe should connect to the fitting on the well case.The submersible pump will be connected to the pipe on the inside of the well then connected to that same fitting in the well casing on the inside of the casing.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Water well guys - 03/31/22 04:57 PM

Sounds like a shallow sand point well. Do you know how old the hand pump well was? Sand point might be partially plugged. Sometimes with rust deposits other times when real old, fine sand accumulates around the point screen. Sometimes driving it down another foot helps get out of the fines.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Water well guys - 03/31/22 05:15 PM

I’m running a Drummond 1hsp pump with a built in tank, it gives me plenty of pressure but I have a shorter run… you could add an additional pressure tank inside the cabin.
Posted By: LDW

Re: Water well guys - 03/31/22 05:44 PM

Any elevation rise? Takes pressure to push uphill.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Water well guys - 03/31/22 06:07 PM

Where is the pump? It’s about 70’ up hill at our cabin but the pump is pushing it. We have no issues with pressure.
Posted By: Redknot

Re: Water well guys - 03/31/22 06:12 PM

How deep is the well?

Re: Water well guys - 03/31/22 06:21 PM

Well is shallow well, point driven, no elevation rise, pump is in the well pit. Well was cleaned with acid, ran the pump for 3 hours before hooking up the water line. No noticeable sand in the buckets Measured the water output, by filling 5 gallon buckets and timing the fill. Back flushed the line in case any sand got into the line while installing. Well is 28 feet, which is just about the maximum for the shallow well jet pump. However the water comes within 6 inches of the well head.

Posted By: Okie Farmer

Re: Water well guys - 03/31/22 07:02 PM

Pressure and flow steady or drops off after running for a bit?

Re: Water well guys - 03/31/22 08:00 PM

Pressure and flow both decreases after running. I'm assuming it does that after the pressure from the 20 tank empties.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Water well guys - 03/31/22 10:31 PM

First I would raise the normal on PSI. The line from the pump to the house is to small, the longer the line the more friction loss you have (less water at the house) to under stand and see how it works, have a 50 foot hose, add another 50 feet and see the less water at the end, add another 50 feet of hose and see it even drop more. The is friction loss in a simple form.
If you are just using a old tank with no blatter inside you have to make sure you have air in the tank. You can not compress water.
Good luck
Posted By: trapdye

Re: Water well guys - 03/31/22 10:38 PM

Try a new pressure tank
Posted By: cohunt

Re: Water well guys - 03/31/22 10:43 PM

This has already been suggested BUT if you were to pump(even slowly) into a tank in the cabin then add a second pump with pressure tank there you can jack pressure up inside the cabin

Re: Water well guys - 03/31/22 11:37 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions, since I have another pump and tank, I'll try hooking it up and see what happens. The tamk on the well pump is new as well as the pump, air is set at 2 psi below necessary.
Posted By: Snyde901

Re: Water well guys - 03/31/22 11:38 PM

Could be air locked those jet pumps can be a pain to get the air out of the line sometimes. Have you tried different nozzle and venturi combinations in the ejector? Also check air pressure in your bladder tank & make sure it's not waterlogged.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Water well guys - 03/31/22 11:48 PM

If he has good water and pressure from the pump at the well head. And he must have tank at the pump, to be shutting on and off as he claims at 40 and 60 psi, also assuming water can run full 8 gallons a minute with no drop off at the well or running out of water. The problem is not the well. I have 150 foot or more of 1 inch black poly buried with a very similar set up, similar depth well. We can run two showers and fill the wash machine. Shallow well jet pumps cannot pull good water too far past 32 to 35 or more foot, but they can however push it a long ways. When the line was buried it could have a rock pinching it, a kink somewhere? If you have good pressure for a while and it drops off, that's a sign the well is running out of water, but it would also do that at the well. If you "always" have low pressure at the house but good at the well it's something restricting plumbing. Valve not open all the way? Separate the system into parts. Start at well and work downstream.....Open pipe at house connection, good pressure, go down stream some more... A second pressure tank in the cabin would increase drawdown time and reduce water hammering if you have any. May help with a surge and drop as pump kicks on and off by pressure switch at 40 and 60. Big question is, will the setup pump fully with no drop off at the well?
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Water well guys - 03/31/22 11:52 PM

Air bladder pressure should be 2 psi below cut in pressure, or 38 psi in this case. With all pressure off system. Pump off and spigots open till water stops flowing. No water should come out or show at valve stem, that means bladder is bad, leaking...
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Water well guys - 04/01/22 01:18 AM

Is your water tank at the well head or in the cabin?
Posted By: hippie

Re: Water well guys - 04/01/22 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Getting There
Is your water tank at the well head or in the cabin?

What I was just going to ask. It would be best if at cabin, imo.

Re: Water well guys - 04/01/22 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
If he has good water and pressure from the pump at the well head. And he must have tank at the pump, to be shutting on and off as he claims at 40 and 60 psi, also assuming water can run full 8 gallons a minute with no drop off at the well or running out of water. The problem is not the well. I have 150 foot or more of 1 inch black poly buried with a very similar set up, similar depth well. We can run two showers and fill the wash machine. Shallow well jet pumps cannot pull good water too far past 32 to 35 or more foot, but they can however push it a long ways. When the line was buried it could have a rock pinching it, a kink somewhere? If you have good pressure for a while and it drops off, that's a sign the well is running out of water, but it would also do that at the well. If you "always" have low pressure at the house but good at the well it's something restricting plumbing. Valve not open all the way? Separate the system into parts. Start at well and work downstream.....Open pipe at house connection, good pressure, go down stream some more... A second pressure tank in the cabin would increase drawdown time and reduce water hammering if you have any. May help with a surge and drop as pump kicks on and off by pressure switch at 40 and 60. Big question is, will the setup pump fully with no drop off at the well?

X2. I looked up the pressure drop of 1 inch pvc at the rate and distance and it ain't much. Either you don't have what you think at the pump/well or you have a restriction between pump and faucet somewhere.
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Water well guys - 04/01/22 01:50 PM

I messed with a sand point for a long time.
Screens on point could be plugged. You can get pellets and clean it out.
Sand may have messed up pump a little.
May have small air leak.
I finally put in a drilled well and no more problems.
Posted By: Okie Farmer

Re: Water well guys - 04/01/22 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Spade
Pressure and flow both decreases after running. I'm assuming it does that after the pressure from the 20 tank empties.

A water supply problem either your pump isn't pumping enough water or your pipe to the house is restricted some how and not allowing enough flow to keep up. Your pressure switch could be bad or restricted also and not cycling.

Start at the well and work towards the house. Have someone turn the water on inside and listen and see when the well comes on, if there is a working guage on the pressure tank watch it.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Water well guys - 04/01/22 02:24 PM

How old is the pipe from the pump to the house? Hard water can cause mineral accumulation inside and restrict your flow a bunch. Your faucets could be restricted if you been doing work and broke some deposits loose as well. Been there done that trick too. Sand points are rough on tank bladders as well. Most guarantees are void if used with a sand point well.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums