Home

More bison powder horn work

Posted By: k snow

More bison powder horn work - 04/01/22 12:28 AM

Started working on the base plug. This one is out of plain pine, I have a plan for a native inspired horn, so the plug will likely end up painted. No point using good wood for that. I am hand fitting this one. I don't shape the bases over a round form yet, have to get the lathe going for that. So, I fit them by hand to the natural shape of the horn base. I cut out the wood piece and the rasp and file it to fit the horn. When I install the base, I will boil the horn for a bit to get the base soft, then lightly tap the base plug in, seating it a touch deeper than I have it dry fit. The plug is also glued and pinned at this stage.

Here is the plug mostly fit.
[Linked Image]

Here I have eight lines drawn to help line up the pins to hold the base in.
[Linked Image]

Here I have marked the horn to pre drill holes for the pins. Horn will split if you try to drive a pin through without a hole.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: More bison powder horn work - 04/01/22 12:35 AM

I cant wait to see how good that will turn out
Posted By: 20scout

Re: More bison powder horn work - 04/01/22 12:46 AM

Snow, I'm sure you get tired of hearing this but you do beautiful work. I like the simplicity and natural look of a natural shaped base. So what are you using to pin the base with, brass?
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: More bison powder horn work - 04/01/22 12:51 AM

Watching.

Moosetrot
Posted By: k snow

Re: More bison powder horn work - 04/01/22 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by 20scout
Snow, I'm sure you get tired of hearing this but you do beautiful work. I like the simplicity and natural look of a natural shaped base. So what are you using to pin the base with, brass?

I am always grateful to hear compliments. Like most craftsmen, I am my own worst critic.

This one will have antiqued brass tacks around the base. Maybe two rows, not sure yet. Sometimes I don't have a plan until I start doing something. Just let things happen, and most often they work out okay. I am leaning towards a beaded strap, maybe not. Depends how fast I want this one on, and off, the market.
Posted By: hippie

Re: More bison powder horn work - 04/01/22 01:39 AM

Gonna be a dandy, nice!
Posted By: 20scout

Re: More bison powder horn work - 04/01/22 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by k snow
Originally Posted by 20scout

I am always grateful to hear compliments. Like most craftsmen, I am my own worst critic.

This one will have antiqued brass tacks around the base. Maybe two rows, not sure yet. Sometimes I don't have a plan until I start doing something. Just let things happen, and most often they work out okay. I am leaning towards a beaded strap, maybe not. Depends how fast I want this one on, and off, the market.

Sometimes the work will tell you what it wants. It's fun when that happens as you don't know what it's going to look like until it's done.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: More bison powder horn work - 04/01/22 04:23 AM

Looking forward to the end product
Posted By: chamookman

Re: More bison powder horn work - 04/01/22 08:30 AM

Thanks for shareing ! Bob
© 2024 Trapperman Forums