Home

First time in years, I didn't go opening day

Posted By: Canvasback2

First time in years, I didn't go opening day - 04/02/22 12:56 AM

Well, must be getting older. It is the first time in MANY years, that I did not go out for the opening of today's Trout Season. It was raining and then blowing snow, really heavy !! Then, my old Black Lab had a bad seizure in his sleep , this Morning.

Not the best of days! frown
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: First time in years, I didn't go opening day - 04/02/22 01:01 AM

I remember opening day of trout season in Virginia.
Posted By: poconobear

Re: First time in years, I didn't go opening day - 04/02/22 02:51 PM

Both of my daughters started fishing when they were 2 or 3 years old. We made the first day of trout a huge event. We’d look for fish for 3 weeks before the opener. Mom would bring them down to our picked out spot 10 minutes before 8. I was usually in the spot by 5. I had 4 rods so the girls always had a line in the water. About 9 they’d get cold and/or hungry and mom would take them for some hot chocolate and a donut. Dad would be busy tying hooks back on and getting all 4 rods operational again. When they came back, they’d fish for another hour or two and we’d all go home. I was totally exhausted. My girls are older now and they each live out of state. I haven’t fished an opening day since they left.
It’s just not the same
Posted By: walleye101

Re: First time in years, I didn't go opening day - 04/02/22 02:59 PM

Walleye opener in MN has always been a big event, traditional kick off to the open water game fish season Seems our Governor is intent on ruining that too. He got his feelings hurt by some protesters last year, took his ball and went home.

https://www.startribune.com/governor-fishing-opener-minnesota-walz-outdoors-angling/600161130/
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: First time in years, I didn't go opening day - 04/02/22 03:02 PM

Great tradition. Loved fishing those small creeks on opening day. I still have trouble passing up a small creek, but it’s 6 to 8 inch grayling instead of trout.
Posted By: coalminer

Re: First time in years, I didn't go opening day - 04/03/22 02:25 AM

Didn’t go today, too cold n getting older. Don’t like big crowds , not getting in a fight over a 10” trout. To those that went, post some pictures.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: First time in years, I didn't go opening day - 04/03/22 11:46 AM

Another good article about MN fishing opener, and our Governor.

https://www.startribune.com/traditi...vernors-fishing-opener-fiasco/600161697/
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: First time in years, I didn't go opening day - 04/03/22 12:02 PM

get after them soon , and post pic. smile
© 2024 Trapperman Forums