Home

Driving a Bearing Race

Posted By: maintenanceguy

Driving a Bearing Race - 04/03/22 09:28 PM

I'm sure I'm not the only person to come up with this but thought it might be useful to someone else.

I don't have a hydraulic press. When I need to replace bearing races in a wheel hub, I tap the race in with a block of wood and a hammer. Once the race is flush with the hub and I can't use the block of wood anymore, I switch to a socket of the appropriate size to tap the race until it is fully seated.

Today, I was replacing bearing races on a trailer and didn't have an appropriate socket. The race is 3" OD, bigger than my socket set. What to do?

After walking around my shop for a couple of minutes brainstorming I remembered that the old bearing race that I just removed is exactly 3" OD. But If I drive the new race in using the old race, the old race will get stuck in the bore. I was trying to figure out how I would then remove the old race when I came up with the solution.

I cut a slit in the old race with a cut off wheel in my angle grinder. With that little slice of metal removed, I can compress the old race to get it out. It worked perfectly. I don't think I'll ever use an almost-the-right-size socket again.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Eyehi

Re: Driving a Bearing Race - 04/03/22 09:42 PM

Nice problem solving skills....amazing how the mind works sometimes.... That will.nell.so!some down TBE road for sure ...
Posted By: MNTrapper21

Re: Driving a Bearing Race - 04/03/22 09:46 PM

Try putting the new race in the deep freeze next time for a while before pounding it in.
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Driving a Bearing Race - 04/03/22 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by MNTrapper21
Try putting the new race in the deep freeze next time for a while before pounding it in.

This works well.We use dry ice pellets a lot at work for the same reason. A few thousandths makes a world of difference.
Posted By: patfundine

Re: Driving a Bearing Race - 04/03/22 10:21 PM

A set of aluminium bearing and race drivers works pretty nice too.
Posted By: Towman

Re: Driving a Bearing Race - 04/03/22 10:26 PM

How do yo remove new wheel bearing from Spindle ?without Destroying it , never been able to figure that one out, The metal is so soft
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Driving a Bearing Race - 04/03/22 10:42 PM

if you did a bunch of them

https://www.otctools.com/products/otc-hub-grappler%E2%84%A2

Re: Driving a Bearing Race - 04/03/22 10:48 PM

How do you get a new Wheel bearing of the spindle without destroying it ? The metal is so Soft, Thank You

Re: Driving a Bearing Race - 04/03/22 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Towman
How do you get a new Wheel bearing of the spindle without destroying it ? The metal is so Soft, Thank You

Why are you taking apart a new bearing?

Re: Driving a Bearing Race - 04/03/22 10:54 PM

How do yo remove new wheel bearing from Spindle ?without Destroying it , never been able to figure that one out, The metal is so soft

If I can get a socket to contact the race from the back side, I use a socket extension and tap that with a hammer. Real slow.

If I can't get a socket to touch the edge of the bearing race, I tap it out from the other side using a cold chisel with the sharp edge ground flat. I work my way around the race and tap-tap-tap-tap until it's free. It can be tricky to do this without the chisel touching the hub. It's slow going but it's worked for me.

Re: Driving a Bearing Race - 04/03/22 11:09 PM

maintenaceguy...

What type of job do you have?

Re: Driving a Bearing Race - 04/03/22 11:36 PM

Came off

Re: Driving a Bearing Race - 04/03/22 11:36 PM

The Bearing not the race
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Driving a Bearing Race - 04/03/22 11:41 PM

Bronze punches help. To get the old races out you can weld them, just let them cool off before you start to hit them.

Re: Driving a Bearing Race - 04/03/22 11:51 PM

It’s the Bearing that’s stuck
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Driving a Bearing Race - 04/03/22 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by patfundine

Why are you taking apart a new bearing?

To replace a leaking wheel seal. I used to deal with it all the time on garbage trucks. Truck bearings run in oil, not grease. I kept a shelf full of new bearings and put new bearings in every time I replaced the seal. Not worth messing with the old bearing. And zero bearing crush. No tolerance.

Re: Driving a Bearing Race - 04/04/22 12:03 AM

It’s a New Bearing

Re: Driving a Bearing Race - 04/04/22 12:08 AM

It’s a New Bearing

Beat it off and put on a new one. They're very close tolerance. Is this on your personal vechile or the company you work for?
Only thing that might work is if it's in a place you can heat it up to expand.

Re: Driving a Bearing Race - 04/04/22 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by patfundine
maintenaceguy...

What type of job do you have?

Been using the handle "maintenanceguy" on the internet for 20+ years - back when I was a maintenance guy for commercial properties - facilities maintenance. Then I became the maintenance guy's supervisor for several years. Now I'm the maintenance guy's supervisor's supervisor and I sit in a big office building, protected from the public by my own secretary who has an office between me and the rest of the building. I write reports and have meetings with people in suits. I make sure we're following all the government regulations, and I write notices of non-compliance for contractors, and sign requisitions, and add up columns of numbers, and do other utterly useless things. The pay is pretty good but I really miss turning wrenches.

Re: Driving a Bearing Race - 04/04/22 12:56 AM

You have my sympathy.
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Driving a Bearing Race - 04/04/22 12:58 AM

could always tack weld a rod to the bearing and use a slide hammer

Re: Driving a Bearing Race - 04/04/22 01:08 AM

Your right Gary even thought it’s new out of the box , just destroy the new Bearing and grease seal and start over
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Driving a Bearing Race - 04/04/22 01:22 AM

To get the old race out, I weld a bead around the inside of it. Once cooled off it will most of the time fall out by itself . The now smaller race can be used to tap the new one in.
I think they call it throwing to stones at a bird ... or something like that

When I was still an apprentice ( moby dick was but a minnow in them days ) we did this with semi trailer bearings , then tip the drum open end down and go get a coffee then sit on the work bench and wait for the " ting" when the bearings dropped to the concrete floor.
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Driving a Bearing Race - 04/04/22 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
To get the old race out, I weld a bead around the inside of it. Once cooled off it will most of the time fall out by itself . The now smaller race can be used to tap the new one in.
I think they call it throwing to stones at a bird ... or something like that

When I was still an apprentice ( moby dick was but a minnow in them days ) we did this with semi trailer bearings , then tip the drum open end down and go get a coffee then sit on the work bench and wait for the " ting" when the bearings dropped to the concrete floor.

nice.
Posted By: LDW

Re: Driving a Bearing Race - 04/04/22 02:57 AM

Putting the race in the deep freezer for a few hours really does work good.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Driving a Bearing Race - 04/04/22 03:37 AM

Or if in a hurry, 5 minutes in dry ice
© 2024 Trapperman Forums