Home

Soacil security

Posted By: coonman220

Soacil security - 04/04/22 12:21 AM

Got yearly letter today when got mail at po box before , I see a lifetime late enrollment fee penality for medicare if not sign up 3 months before, I think that terrible of government do that, is difference on what get at 62 or 65, ya if u live that long
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Soacil security - 04/04/22 12:30 AM

I planned on NOT living that long,,but it didn't work out for me.I never make the right choices. grin
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Soacil security - 04/04/22 12:31 AM

Social security and Medicare are two different programs. Each program has their own rules and regulations. You might be confusing the two programs.

Last time I checked, Medicare has a penalty if you don’t sign up within a certain time of your 65 birthday.

I don’t think Social Security has a penalty for “late” enrollments. If you take Social,Security at 62 rather than later, you will get less each month.

Talk to some one at your local SS office for clarification.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Soacil security - 04/04/22 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
Social security and Medicare are two different programs. Each program has their own rules and regulations. You might be confusing the two programs.

Last time I checked, Medicare has a penalty if you don’t sign up within a certain time of your 65 birthday.

I don’t think Social Security has a penalty for “late” enrollments. If you take Social,Security at 62 rather than later, you will get less each month.

Talk to some one at your local SS office for clarification.

Fell on deaf ears.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Soacil security - 04/04/22 12:50 AM

I know but it’s been a while since I’ve typed a response that no one will read or care about. I felt the urge to try. smile
Posted By: adam m

Re: Soacil security - 04/04/22 12:54 AM

A late enrollment penalty is given IF you do not have prescription drug coverage from ANY health insurance plan when you qualify for MEDICARE. That's 3 months before, the month of and 3 months after you become Medicare eligible. Typically that is 65th birthday. Sometimes it's when SSA says your disability is approved.

During those 7 months you can get on a Medicare advantage plan a Medicare supplement plan or keep your current health insurance plan if it includes prescription drug coverage

Coonman, if I remember correctly you don't have any insurance. My advice (Medicare was my career) get a Medicare advantage plan (part c) with prescription drug coverage (part d) NOW. There may be these plans in your area with $0 premium. Plus a lot of Medicare Advantage Plans give additional benefits like glasses hearing fitness plan and much more.
Go to medicare.gov enter your zip code and compare plans in your area.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Soacil security - 04/04/22 12:55 AM

SS does not but MediCare does. I used a WI senior drug program for 5 years because it was much lower cost and my meds were minimal. When I switched part D they stated I was 5 years late in filing. I had been told that our WI senior program was recognized so was upset to find out about the life long penalty which would have been like $23 per month for life. Turns out it was the state that made the errors after several calls and letters. Talked directly to Medicare rep and they were very helpful and efficient to clear up the issues and remove the penalty. There are several folks that decide to wait until 67 or 70 for SS they also need to remember to sign up with Medicare .

Bryce
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Soacil security - 04/04/22 01:13 AM

well here's the thing coonman: If you go to the senior center there is people there that you could ask about life and social security. They will get you pointed in the right direction. Most of them folks are old as dirt so they got it figured out. Hanging around the senior center you might find a sugar momma that wants you to pet her cat. Since you like cats you never know where that could lead.
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: Soacil security - 04/04/22 01:25 AM

Short story I started drawing full SS and still worked with benefits.
Small company and things fell apart.
Needed a form filled by the Employer stating my enrollment out dates.
He held it until one day after my deadline and I am paying a penalty for mine now.
It's real and it does happen

Re: Soacil security - 04/04/22 01:28 AM

Pretty mean to charge a penality lifetime
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Soacil security - 04/04/22 02:06 AM

As far as I know, a person can't get Medicare until they turn 65. Dave is not 65 yet, I'm not sure he's even 62 yet because one of his running inquiries is if he should start tapping SS at 62.

So, coonman's penalty is probably that he only started getting "Medicare" getting taken out of his paychecks in recent years. Do temp companies treat their "clients" as "independent contractors" and make the employees do SS. Medicare deductions paperwork on their own...?
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Soacil security - 04/04/22 02:12 AM

“ If I knew I was going to live this long……I would have taken better care of myself “
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Soacil security - 04/04/22 02:44 AM

Only the government would penalize you for not participating in a free benefit that you paid for when you were working, Was it the insure companies, the pharmaceutical companies or the hospitals who lobbied for this regulation? I have had continuous health care including prescriptions to date. One more example of trying to screw those who take care of themselves instead of getting on the government dole.

Re: Soacil security - 04/04/22 03:01 AM

Not try to say bad things, if u live that long, depends on person, some live be real old, others don't, just idea, work that old at some crappy job, u might not make it an no time off work to enjoy, dou t afford it but be nice to have lots time for trapping next season an set lots more traps out in water an more ideas , just no time do lots it, then u don't got the money an pickup break down, u dont get first soacil security check an dock on 2 ND , if don't cut way back or some on hrs. Work, 2 months before retire, if plan on keep working part time, I know some guy in preety good health, used talk to all the, then didn't get along him an he didn't want talk nomore about 4 years ago, maybe something wrong or even then, look his name up about month ago Google it an curious , out came his obituary , was little surprised as 69 or 70, can't rember, know few others that in 2 years, health change fast
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Soacil security - 04/04/22 03:20 AM

I know but it’s been a while since I’ve typed a response that no one will read or care about. I felt the urge to try. smile

grin

I appreciated it

Re: Soacil security - 04/04/22 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by NonPCfed
As far as I know, a person can't get Medicare until they turn 65. Dave is not 65 yet, I'm not sure he's even 62 yet because one of his running inquiries is if he should start tapping SS at 62.

So, coonman's penalty is probably that he only started getting "Medicare" getting taken out of his paychecks in recent years. Do temp companies treat their "clients" as "independent contractors" and make the employees do SS. Medicare deductions paperwork on their own...?

A person can get Medicare IF SSA approved a person's disability claim.
Posted By: Charles2

Re: Soacil security - 04/04/22 10:27 AM

I am covered by VA disability. I will file for SS, should I file for any SS health benefits? I get all healthcare benefits from the VA, so, I will not use prescription plan or other medical benefits. I have healthcare currently, at work, only to cover my wife.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Soacil security - 04/04/22 10:29 AM

Comedian!
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Soacil security - 04/04/22 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by NonPCfed

A person can get Medicare IF SSA approved a person's disability claim.

Good point, adam m
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Soacil security - 04/04/22 01:42 PM

Dave, the penalty they are talking about is because you don't have medical insurance. When you go to sign up for medicare is when the penalty will be assessed.

Go to your local senior center or other outreach program. They'll help you find an insurance plan that works for you. A lot of the plans are cheap or even free. Once you have a plan and hold it for so long the penalty will go away, or be reduced when you do eventually sign up for medicare.

It will require some legwork on your end though.

You could even call up the closest SS office near to you and have them explain it better.
Posted By: 70sdiver

Re: Soacil security - 04/04/22 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Charles2
I am covered by VA disability. I will file for SS, should I file for any SS health benefits? I get all healthcare benefits from the VA, so, I will not use prescription plan or other medical benefits. I have healthcare currently, at work, only to cover my wife.

At the very least you should sign up for Medicare part a as that portion is free.Id talk to ss and the va about part b medical to make sure in every instance down the road your covered one way or another.

Re: Soacil security - 04/04/22 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by 70sdiver
Originally Posted by Charles2

At the very least you should sign up for Medicare part a as that portion is free.Id talk to ss and the va about part b medical to make sure in every instance down the road your covered one way or another.

X2 at the very least get a & b but I said earlier there's plenty of $0 premium Medicare Advantage Plans which includes additional benefits. Check medicare.gov to see Plans in your area.

Part A isn't free necessarily, part A is paid for with the Medicare premium that is automatically taken out each month.

70sdiver, when you get Medicare you will use both Medicare and Tricare insurance cards. Tricare will pay after Medicare pays.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Soacil security - 04/04/22 09:38 PM

Below is a link that may help explain some issues concerning Medicare and the VA

Bryce

https://www.goodrx.com/insurance/medicare/medicare-and-va-benefits
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Soacil security - 04/04/22 11:28 PM

I am sure when I retired the VA required me to sign up for part B. I am also service related disabled.
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Soacil security - 04/05/22 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by coonman220
Not try to say bad things, if u live that long, depends on person, some live be real old, others don't, just idea, work that old at some crappy job, u might not make it an no time off work to enjoy, dou t afford it but be nice to have lots time for trapping next season an set lots more traps out in water an more ideas , just no time do lots it, then u don't got the money an pickup break down, u dont get first soacil security check an dock on 2 ND , if don't cut way back or some on hrs. Work, 2 months before retire, if plan on keep working part time, I know some guy in preety good health, used talk to all the, then didn't get along him an he didn't want talk nomore about 4 years ago, maybe something wrong or even then, look his name up about month ago Google it an curious , out came his obituary , was little surprised as 69 or 70, can't rember, know few others that in 2 years, health change fast

Health can disappear over night. I know your mind says to run 1000s of traps when you retire and you dream, but your body and health might not even be able to do it. Hate to pop your bubble but prepare for old age first and trapping comes second. Then, you can sit back in your old age and tell the nurses all about your trapping adventures, imagine talking hours about catching those critters with a smile on your face.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums