Home

New Argo

Posted By: 20scout

New Argo - 04/04/22 09:04 PM

I have a chance to do some horse trading for a new Argo Huntmaster 950 with rubber tracks and winch. For those of you who have or had one, what is your opinion on them?
Posted By: corky

Re: New Argo - 04/04/22 09:29 PM

I've had a Vanguard for about 15 years. Never a problem. Don't know if the newer ones are comparable.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: New Argo - 04/04/22 09:44 PM

Very nice
Posted By: novatrapper01

Re: New Argo - 04/04/22 09:52 PM

I have a 2019 huntmaster with rubber tracks. Works great and goes pretty well where you point it with the tracks on. I like it in the snow the best.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: New Argo - 04/04/22 09:57 PM

It would depend on the quality of horse you are trading.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: New Argo - 04/04/22 09:59 PM

Glue factory or Triple Crown contender?
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: New Argo - 04/04/22 10:12 PM

I used an argo a lot in WY years ago. Things will go wherever you need to. Deep snow, water, mud. A little unwieldy in water. You dont want to deal with waves or current. If you want to drive around in stuff your pickup or 4wheeler or side by side wont go that thing will.

Re: New Argo - 04/05/22 05:16 AM

What I am trading is of no concern, just want to know what everyone's opinion is on the Argo Huntmaster with rubber tracks was. Got my answer, thanks!
Posted By: Boco

Re: New Argo - 04/05/22 05:25 AM

Why did you mention it in your original post then,instead of just asking about the argo?
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: New Argo - 04/05/22 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Why did you mention it in your original post then,instead of just asking about the argo?

That’s what I was thinking.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: New Argo - 04/05/22 05:47 AM

What possible difference would it make what he is trading for his question ?
Good lord some people are so freaking nosy !!
Posted By: Trappercass

Re: New Argo - 04/05/22 11:04 AM

From Merriam - Webster

Definition of “horse trade”
: negotiation accompanied by shrewd bargaining and reciprocal concessions
Posted By: EdP

Re: New Argo - 04/05/22 11:41 AM

Pretty clear he was asking for opinions on the Argo and not the horse he was trading.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: New Argo - 04/05/22 11:44 AM

Watching this thread

My friends Argo with tracks froze up on opening morning once a couple miles back in. They [4 hunters] went out pre dawn and at noon when the wanted to go in for lunch it wouldn't move. After that the used it only with tracks off -tires- in winter.
Posted By: Kermit

Re: New Argo - 04/05/22 11:56 AM

Pretty sure they use bulldozers in the winter

Re: New Argo - 04/05/22 01:47 PM

My friends Argo with tracks froze up on opening morning once a couple miles back in

The tracks just wrap around the tires. How did the tracks "freeze up"? That makes no sense.

Trapping a froze creek we drove right up the ice. Will go up and over beaver dams especially at the end of one. Pretty nice snaring willow choked creeks. Like driving a paved road.

Not fast like a snowmobile but a snowmobile you can't put a cab on. Even without a heater the cab is warm from engine heat when your dressed warm. At 20 below it must be at least 30 inside. Also your out of the wind.

You can drive down a steep creek bank to trap. Drive down one of those creeks thats mostly shallow with some deep holes. Float the deep water. Drive back up the bank then drive the top of the creek bank back to your pick up and trailer.

Like I said, not fast. Fast enough to be practical though. Very versatile machine.

Re: New Argo - 04/05/22 01:57 PM

With the right trailer you dont need a ramp either. Dont unhitch from your pick up . Put the tongue jack down and give a few cranks. 6 inchs is plenty. Then just drive up on the trailer. Lower the jack and turn it back into its upright position. Ratchet strap it into the front of the trailer and your ready to go down the road. Maybe 5 minutes tops to load or unload. Dont need the jack to back it off the trailer.
Posted By: Dans

Re: New Argo - 04/05/22 03:47 PM

When tracks are wet they will freeze solid when temps are low. Had the same problem with my New Holland skid steer last week. Temp dropped to 10 degress after I fed my cattle. High was 17 degrees next day. Could't move the machine until the temps got above freezing and they thawed out. Even tried thawing them with a torpedo heater, not luck.

Re: New Argo - 04/05/22 04:47 PM

that never happened to me

Re: New Argo - 04/05/22 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
that never happened to me

It's Minnesota in November
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: New Argo - 04/05/22 11:13 PM

I was going to ask about the horse too because I like horses but on second thought nevermind. grin

Re: New Argo - 04/05/22 11:19 PM

Its also Wyoming in February
Posted By: novatrapper01

Re: New Argo - 04/06/22 12:09 AM

Haven’t had the rubber tracks freeze up, however I could see how the plastic tracks could freeze since they are built more like a chain.

Re: New Argo - 04/06/22 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dans
When tracks are wet they will freeze solid when temps are low. Had the same problem with my New Holland skid steer last week. Temp dropped to 10 degress after I fed my cattle. High was 17 degrees next day. Could't move the machine until the temps got above freezing and they thawed out. Even tried thawing them with a torpedo heater, not luck.

My skidoo track doesnt freeze at 50 below.
Takes a while to loosen up though.it thumps for a while.

Re: New Argo - 04/06/22 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Its also Wyoming in February

Well just because it didn't happen to you

Doesn't mean it didn't happen to others.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: New Argo - 04/06/22 05:30 PM

As for the freezing of the track, carry a bag of rock salt to throw inside the rack if its gotten water and not drained.
Posted By: run

Re: New Argo - 04/06/22 05:46 PM

Post some pictures of the Argo. I want to see what it looks like.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: New Argo - 04/06/22 05:55 PM

Look at this site.

https://www.argoadventure.com/2022-ARGO-FRONTIER-650-8X8-STK-47790_p_100760.html?_vsrefdom=adwords&msclkid=347a1fa3867219038d817dee55bdbd2e&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP%20Shop%20-%20New%20Argo%20Atvs%20For%20Sale&utm_term=4585169653708758&utm_content=New%20Atvs

Re: New Argo - 04/07/22 02:23 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: New Argo - 04/07/22 02:24 AM

Sweet!
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: New Argo - 04/07/22 12:29 PM

I’ve never owned one, but I’ve hunted moose 13 times….spent 13 weeks in them. Been in 8 and 6 wheeled machines, as well as tracked ones. ( 90% of the time, in 8 wheeled version ). I preferred the the 8 wheeled model, the tracked machine had icing issues in late November in Newfoundland. The biggest problem with the 8 wheeled version was the front tires getting hammered up in rocky terrain.

Argos are incredible machines that are indispensable in some areas. They do need regular servicing, particularly the axle bearings and chains. The weak spot in Argos is the transmission, but we were asking a lot of the machines. On three occasions, we came out of the back country with two bull moose and three people. Way more than the manual says to haul.

[Linked Image]

The cab on this machine was put together with plywood and pvc pipe.

Re: New Argo - 04/07/22 12:30 PM

Wow, what a load!

Re: New Argo - 04/07/22 12:46 PM

Bigbrownie,

That's a great Idea for a lightweight cab
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: New Argo - 04/07/22 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbrownie
I’ve never owned one, but I’ve hunted moose 13 times….spent 13 weeks in them. Been in 8 and 6 wheeled machines, as well as tracked ones. ( 90% of the time, in 8 wheeled version ). I preferred the the 8 wheeled model, the tracked machine had icing issues in late November in Newfoundland. The biggest problem with the 8 wheeled version was the front tires getting hammered up in rocky terrain.

Argos are incredible machines that are indispensable in some areas. They do need regular servicing, particularly the axle bearings and chains. The weak spot in Argos is the transmission, but we were asking a lot of the machines. On three occasions, we came out of the back country with two bull moose and three people. Way more than the manual says to haul.

[Linked Image]

The cab on this machine was put together with plywood and pvc pipe.

What was the set-up to lift the moose onto the back of the Argo?
Posted By: Crowfoot

Re: New Argo - 04/07/22 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Saskfly

Put some corn in that blue box on the roof, get back a ways. When the moose gets in the back to get at the corn .... you shoot him.
There, all loaded up. smile

Re: New Argo - 04/07/22 09:07 PM

Hahaha Crowfoot...great thinking^^^

Re: New Argo - 04/07/22 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Crowfoot
[quote=Saskfly]

There were always 2 hunters, one guide. We were always able to fight the Argos into where the moose laid. Gut them, cut off all legs below the knees, then saw the bull in two, leaving two ribs on the hind end section. Three guys can lift the back end of a moose into the Argo. It helps if one guy stands inside the Argo to lift. To get the front half in, ( the biggest half ), we run the winch cable back over the roof and hook it to the bull’s neck. The roof frame is pvc pipe, but there’s some metal wrapped in the center to beef it up. The two strongest guys lift the shoulders of the moose into the back, while the third guy runs the winch. You can’t just pull it with the winch…you would break the roof. You’re just using the winch to steady and guide the load. We’ve loaded a second bull into the Argo on three occasions…..lots of grunting and groaning, but it’s the same principle as loading the first moose. All your gear goes on the roof and hood, and we tie up our rifles on the moose in back. Caribou are easy for three guys to load whole. I’ve loaded at least 25 moose into Argos, this method works pretty good.

With two moose, you gotta run out in low range or you’ll tear up the gear box.
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: New Argo - 04/08/22 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbrownie
Originally Posted by Crowfoot
[quote=Saskfly]

There were always 2 hunters, one guide. We were always able to fight the Argos into where the moose laid. Gut them, cut off all legs below the knees, then saw the bull in two, leaving two ribs on the hind end section. Three guys can lift the back end of a moose into the Argo. It helps if one guy stands inside the Argo to lift. To get the front half in, ( the biggest half ), we run the winch cable back over the roof and hook it to the bull’s neck. The roof frame is pvc pipe, but there’s some metal wrapped in the center to beef it up. The two strongest guys lift the shoulders of the moose into the back, while the third guy runs the winch. You can’t just pull it with the winch…you would break the roof. You’re just using the winch to steady and guide the load. We’ve loaded a second bull into the Argo on three occasions…..lots of grunting and groaning, but it’s the same principle as loading the first moose. All your gear goes on the roof and hood, and we tie up our rifles on the moose in back. Caribou are easy for three guys to load whole. I’ve loaded at least 25 moose into Argos, this method works pretty good.

With two moose, you gotta run out in low range or you’ll tear up the gear box.

Thanks!!
Imagine you had your celebratory shot of Screech when you got back to the camp!
Posted By: Actor

Re: New Argo - 04/08/22 12:35 PM

I've done a lot of "Horse Trading" in my time and have never owned a horse.

Garry-

Re: New Argo - 04/08/22 12:43 PM

I've only hunted Out of them with my friends who own 2 one 6x6 and one 8x8

They're fun to ride in and In all those years we got stuck twice only
Loon poo Swamp....and when you get an Argo stuck , you're stuck.

Better have another Argo to get to it and get it unstuck
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: New Argo - 04/08/22 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dans

My skidoo track doesnt freeze at 50 below.
Takes a while to loosen up though.it thumps for a while.

I've never had mine freeze at that cold either. . . but I've had skidoo tracks freeze at much warmer than that. They get plenty of wet snow packed in the middle, and then water on it and then a good cold night. Usually when it is getting down in the teens at night and thirties during the day is when I've had them freeze up. Once it gets colder you don't have the water to worry about.

The Argo and the Max are a neat idea, but never suited for anything I do. The older ones had issues with breaking axles and bearings, no idea how those in the last twenty years are for that. There is lots of moving parts on one, so lots of things that can break.

Re: New Argo - 04/08/22 04:08 PM

On my snowmachine I always clear the track at the end of the day when gassing up the machine for next day.
The track doesnt freeze,it is wet snow packed in the sliders and bogies that freezes when you run thru water in cold weather.
I often stop and clear the track after running thru water during the day so I dont have a bigger job later on.
A bit of preventive mtc goes a long way,sure must be the same with an argo or any other piece of mechanical equipment.

Re: New Argo - 04/08/22 04:48 PM

On my snowmachine I always clear the track at the end of the day when gassing up the machine for next day.
The track doesnt freeze,it is wet snow packed in the sliders and bogies that freezes when you run thru water in cold weather.
I often stop and clear the track after running thru water during the day so I dont have a bigger job later on.
A bit of preventive mtc goes a long way,sure must be the same with an argo or any other piece of mechanical equipment.

shouldn't even need to be told. common sense

Re: New Argo - 04/08/22 09:32 PM

Common sence doesn't do well in everyone's garden...

I can believe this thread has gone this far....

Re: New Argo - 04/09/22 03:29 AM

Argo Power

Re: New Argo - 04/09/22 12:29 PM

Post some pictures of the Argo, 20 scout.

Re: New Argo - 04/09/22 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by run
Post some pictures of the Argo, 20 scout.

I did.

Re: New Argo - 04/09/22 07:01 PM

Thank you, 20 scout. Sorry I missed it the first time.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: New Argo - 04/10/22 09:59 PM

This is spot on, I also learned to clear the track out at the end of the day. Doesn't mean I haven't forgotten though when I've had a long day. wink

I did state where/why I've had them freeze, but failed to mention that there is a pretty easy fix for that.
Posted By: yukon254

Re: New Argo - 04/10/22 10:15 PM

I have extensive experience with the Argos in some extreme conditions. They require a lot more maintenance than other rigs, but they will go places nothing else will.

Re: New Argo - 04/10/22 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by yukon254
I have extensive experience with the Argos in some extreme conditions. They require a lot more maintenance than other rigs, but they will go places nothing else will.

Yep. Lots of maintenance, but there’s no substitute for one when you need it.
Posted By: yukon254

Re: New Argo - 04/10/22 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by 20scout
[Linked Image]

Ditch the front rack, it can get you or a passenger killed. Closest call i ever had with a client was a dead stick sliding up under that rack. Only an incredibly quick move by my hunter saved his life. The stick would have impaled him dead center in the chest. I removed the rack on the spot.
Posted By: MNTrapper21

Re: New Argo - 04/10/22 10:27 PM

Buddy has one, and I will say from the time I've ridden in it with him its awesome. Can go through any of the swampy areas of central and northern MN

Re: New Argo - 04/10/22 10:34 PM

Thank you for that bit of information Yukon. That's the type of onfo I was looking for when I started this thread. "If" I get that model I will most certainly remove it but we are still negotiating. I know the older models required a bit more maintenance but wondered about the newer ones. I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty but it's nice to know about it before purchasing one.

Re: New Argo - 04/10/22 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by yukon254
Originally Posted by 20scout
[Linked Image]

Ditch the front rack, it can get you or a passenger killed. Closest call i ever had with a client was a dead stick sliding up under that rack. Only an incredibly quick move by my hunter saved his life. The stick would have impaled him dead center in the chest. I removed the rack on the spot.

Wow
© 2024 Trapperman Forums