Home

Hawk attack turns into hawk being attacked

Posted By: Cragar

Hawk attack turns into hawk being attacked - 04/13/22 08:39 PM

Very cool footage 3:16 run time
I don't think it ended well for the hawk.

Posted By: Crowfoot

Re: Hawk attack turns into hawk being attacked - 04/13/22 08:45 PM

WOW !
Seen a doe do that to a rattler once, but only took about a minute.
Thanks
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Hawk attack turns into hawk being attacked - 04/13/22 08:46 PM

The deer is very clearly not defending the rabbit from the hawk. Whitetail deer frequently eat rabbits and come to a rabbit in distress call looking for dinner. When a rabbit calls for a long time, experienced predators know that a weak predator has the rabbit. Strong and efficient predators kill prey fast. After the rabbit ran off, the hawk clearly became dinner. That is why you saw the deer charge the other deer. It was guarding it's food.

[Linked Image]

Deer eat lots of easy to kill prey and carrion too. There's a video online of deer eating human remains at a research site.

Elk eat rabbits too.

I have watched a deer eat fox squirrels.

Keith
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Hawk attack turns into hawk being attacked - 04/13/22 09:00 PM

Shoot that there deer.
Posted By: Owen156

Re: Hawk attack turns into hawk being attacked - 04/13/22 10:23 PM

If that is a button buck he sure will be a scrapper if he lives long enough to make 3 years old.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Hawk attack turns into hawk being attacked - 04/13/22 10:32 PM

That deer should be tried federal court
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Hawk attack turns into hawk being attacked - 04/14/22 12:06 AM

Never knew deer ate rabbits.
Posted By: We-Sa

Re: Hawk attack turns into hawk being attacked - 04/14/22 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC
The deer is very clearly not defending the rabbit from the hawk. Whitetail deer frequently eat rabbits and come to a rabbit in distress call looking for dinner. When a rabbit calls for a long time, experienced predators know that a weak predator has the rabbit. Strong and efficient predators kill prey fast. After the rabbit ran off, the hawk clearly became dinner. That is why you saw the deer charge the other deer. It was guarding it's food.

Deer eat lots of easy to kill prey and carrion too. There's a video online of deer eating human remains at a research site.

Elk eat rabbits too.

I have watched a deer eat fox squirrels.

Keith

Makes sense why I've had deer come in to predator calls but I would never have thought a deer or elk would eat meat or carrion.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Hawk attack turns into hawk being attacked - 04/14/22 12:29 AM

That deer was responding to what it thought was a fawn in distress call Go out in June with a fawn call and watch them they will run you over trying defend their fawns
© 2024 Trapperman Forums