Home

How much are calfs worth?

Posted By: SGT. C

How much are calfs worth? - 04/14/22 03:43 PM

Apparently not enough to pay to have someone trap the coyotes harassing them. I gave a farmer who called me to trap yotes he's been seeing in his pasture making the cows,calfs and not to mention the ones soon to drop nervous.
Gave him a reasonable price for set up and trap checks. The price was under $500.and plus having to deal with cows. His resonse: I guess i'll have to give them lead poisoning. I thanked him and hung up.
I dont work for free and im sure he doesnt either. But why call me when you tried to shoot them and your not having any luck.
This is way i charge a consultation and inspectionn fee. Otherwise it would have cost me. Sarge
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: How much are calfs worth? - 04/14/22 03:59 PM

Man you need an office job! grin
Posted By: cathryn

Re: How much are calfs worth? - 04/14/22 04:00 PM

When he gets em gun shy and calls you again. Tell him now its 1000.00.

And 50.00 for every trap the cows bust up.

Tell him he's losing that much money in weight loss due to the constant yote harassment.

Plus..you gotta trap em with cows in the same pasture? ??

What an aggravation.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: How much are calfs worth? - 04/14/22 04:03 PM

Not every job is worth taking, don't try and be Walmart and try and please everyone.
Posted By: CaseXX

Re: How much are calfs worth? - 04/14/22 04:24 PM

I put a pencil to it a couple years ago, if my memory is correct I had about 700.00 in the calf on the day it hit the ground. That's upkeep ( vet work and feed ). For the bull that sired the calf and the cow that calves, for a minimum of 9 months. Not counting my time and labor. Now keep them till bunk broke and weaned, load up a bunch and take'em to sail barn and see what they bring. 500 bucks seems like a good deal in that context. That's why I'm on coyote patrol year round. I keep'em on guard but with fur down there getting ahead of me. Good topic.
Casexx
Posted By: Crowfoot

Re: How much are calfs worth? - 04/14/22 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by SGT. C

But why call me when you tried to shoot them and your not having any luck.

Perhaps he was interested in an estimate ? to compare with other options maybe ?
Posted By: bblwi

Re: How much are calfs worth? - 04/14/22 07:36 PM

The coyotes will get nervous when and if he starts some shooting as the cows are now. I know your in eastern areas but when talking many years ago with a Wyoming rancher I asked about coyotes and predation. His response was this. If the cow can't protect her calf from a coyote I will get rid of her too.

Bryce
Posted By: Kermit

Re: How much are calfs worth? - 04/14/22 09:23 PM

Cows used to have horns for a reason
Posted By: MJM

Re: How much are calfs worth? - 04/14/22 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kermit

And now most of them don't for a reason.
Posted By: nate

Re: How much are calfs worth? - 04/15/22 01:03 AM

OG say's it best, it's over for us when the s--- government gives hand outs to the farmers. ( Tax write off ) no real big deal to them.
Posted By: Poorcoon

Re: How much are calfs worth? - 04/15/22 01:25 AM

Coyotes aren't that much of a threat to calving cows. Generally. Not that it don't never happen but 1000 lb plus cow is a pretty good coyote deterrent. Not to mention there's usually More Cows around to help. But they could cause other problems especially if there are around heifers. Could make Mama's nervous and could be Mix-Ups and cause a lot more work and worry if nothing else.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: How much are calfs worth? - 04/15/22 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Poorcoon
Coyotes aren't that much of a threat to calving cows. Generally. Not that it don't never happen but 1000 lb plus cow is a pretty good coyote deterrent. Not to mention there's usually More Cows around to help. But they could cause other problems especially if there are around heifers. Could make Mama's nervous and could be Mix-Ups and cause a lot more work and worry if nothing else.

More cows around to help and stomp new born calves to death. It happens a lot around here. Coyotes are just coming in for the after birth but the cows don' know that. They'll go into protective mode and then calves end up stomped, broken up, or dead. Coyotes kill a few calves when they slip under the fence and sleep in the weeds away from mama. Dead loss has more to do with it than a killed calf. Research shows by having coyotes around pregnant herd's it increases stress resulting in more still born and aborted calf's.

If you control coyotes from a month or two before they calf till they are done calving you'll have a increase in herd production.

Coyote control is similar to the farmers doing weed control for their crops. They know it won't get rid of all the weeds but it's good to be proactive and keep them in check, so you have a better crop. Same with the coyotes and having better calf crop.
Posted By: Poorcoon

Re: How much are calfs worth? - 04/15/22 03:08 AM

Sounds like a good promotion for damage control trapping to me!
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: How much are calfs worth? - 04/15/22 03:08 AM

°^yessir
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: How much are calfs worth? - 04/15/22 04:36 AM

Its the afterbirth the yotes are after.
just
Posted By: red mt

Re: How much are calfs worth? - 04/15/22 04:45 AM

1coyote is not problem 2 or3 on the other hand are I agree with silkyplainscoyote.
Control before and until done and it's over.
They will wack one now and again most of the time it cleaning up still Borns.
Or a twin that is a bit slow.
Posted By: red mt

Re: How much are calfs worth? - 04/15/22 04:48 AM

Here is another thought ,,,trade him for beef been doing that for years I haven't bought beef in years.
Posted By: Dana I

Re: How much are calfs worth? - 04/15/22 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by AKAjust
Its the afterbirth the yotes are after.
just

Yep, this. We do much of our calving outside. Never had one problem with coyotes. Domestic dogs on the other hand we have had issues with.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: How much are calfs worth? - 04/15/22 11:28 AM

Ranchers in the Sandhills carry a rifle with them year around and shoot at every coyote they see just to keep them honest.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: How much are calfs worth? - 04/15/22 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Poorcoon

It is when there are family packs of coyotes.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: How much are calfs worth? - 04/15/22 12:22 PM

I'm retired from cattle now, however, throughout my cattle business years, mother cows had a job to do to stay in "the line up". They had to give me a live, healthy calf and take care of them (mother them and defend them).
Anything short of this and they went down the line into a freezer. This is often referred to as ruthless culling.
Posted By: Joe1

Re: How much are calfs worth? - 04/15/22 05:26 PM

went to a sale this week as thin as lot of animals were think a lot of people are backing off on high price feed to a lot of people dont know their just hurting them selves
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: How much are calfs worth? - 04/15/22 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
Originally Posted by Kermit

And now most of them don't for a reason.

Xactly
© 2024 Trapperman Forums