Home

Kenai Peninsula help?

Posted By: trapperkeck

Kenai Peninsula help? - 04/14/22 11:42 PM

Looking at a 5-7 day trip to the Kenai Peninsula. Would like to spend a couple days fishing and 3 days or so sight seeing (sled dogs, glaciers and just general nosing around). Any Alaskans with connections for such a trip, or other folks who have made the trip and have a list of do's and don'ts? Thinking a halibut charter for a day and, maybe a river run for trout/salmon for a day, as far as fishing goes. Trip would be late August or early Sept.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Kenai Peninsula help? - 04/15/22 12:29 AM

I'm no longer a local but I lived there and owned land on the Kenai. I loved the place. That late in the year, I'd be looking to do some rainbow fishing along with the late run of silvers on the Kenai.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Kenai Peninsula help? - 04/15/22 12:37 AM

I sure had fun there. Halibut is a fun trip. If you went a bit earlier when the Reds are running you can do a lot of fishing for Salmon right from shore without a guide.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Kenai Peninsula help? - 04/15/22 01:31 AM

Buy yourself a book called 'The Milepost". Been up there 3 times and carried the annual edition of "The Milepost" every time. Everything you need to know about travelling in Alaska is in there.

Spent a lot of time on the Kenai. Great place to be. Was seriously considering retiring up there till life went sideways.

Moosetrot
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Kenai Peninsula help? - 04/15/22 01:56 AM

May get more good advice posting in the wilderness sub forum.?
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Kenai Peninsula help? - 04/15/22 01:59 AM

Post on the wilderness trapping forum, many guys on there from that area.
Posted By: Twisted metal

Re: Kenai Peninsula help? - 04/15/22 02:12 AM

I will be up there with the wife and kids July 16-23. Rented a motor home and booked halibut charter and plan on chasing the reds for a couple days. My advice is to start booking soon not much available if you wait.
Posted By: Chancey

Re: Kenai Peninsula help? - 04/15/22 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by trapperkeck
Looking at a 5-7 day trip to the Kenai Peninsula. Would like to spend a couple days fishing and 3 days or so sight seeing (sled dogs, glaciers and just general nosing around). Any Alaskans with connections for such a trip, or other folks who have made the trip and have a list of do's and don'ts? Thinking a halibut charter for a day and, maybe a river run for trout/salmon for a day, as far as fishing goes. Trip would be late August or early Sept.

Evening Trapperkeck.

I'm sorry, but I can't contribute much on the fishing and guiding up there that time of the year. I did spend a lot of time on the Kenai when I was in college.

The people and places are unbelievable. One of the best treasures in the world IMO. Real down to earth people; no BS.

I stayed in Cooper's Landing for the most part. If you have time to plan a trip, make sure that you hike the Russian River Trail. Its awesome. Also make sure that you DRIVE through the mountain east to get to Whittier and have you a cold beer with some fried fish!

I loved the town of Soldotna, and Homer was like Heaven on Earth. Blew my mind when I saw cattle grazing just outside of Homer. Caught me some nice halibut there too! Anyway, I don't live there and don't know much, but those places made a big impression on me and they will last a lifetime. I show my daughter pics of that wonderful place today. Take your good binoculars.
Posted By: aknome

Re: Kenai Peninsula help? - 04/15/22 03:19 AM

Lived on the Kenai for three years. Didn't see or do it all even then. Never did lose my amazement of the color of the Kenai River and lived 40 feet from it for a year. Ocean charters for halibut, rock fish and ling, and clamming out of Niniichik, Reds on the Russian, Rainbows and Silvers on the Kenai. Go to Sealife Center in Seward, take a whale watching tour, climb Mount Marathon. Hike to the glacier, ride the train. Spend a day on the Homer Spit at the end of the road.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Kenai Peninsula help? - 04/15/22 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot
Buy yourself a book called 'The Milepost". Been up there 3 times and carried the annual edition of "The Milepost" every time. Everything you need to know about travelling in Alaska is in there.

Spent a lot of time on the Kenai. Great place to be. Was seriously considering retiring up there till life went sideways.

Moosetrot

I see a piebald cow moose there.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Kenai Peninsula help? - 04/17/22 12:22 AM

Well, we booked an 8 day stay in Soldotna, AK. Should be a fun trip. Would like to have tried a couple other places you folks recommended, but they could not accommodate our time frame. Thanks for the help, and if anyone is in that area late Aug-Early Sept. Lemme know!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums