Home

Photo Phriday 37

Posted By: Gulo

Photo Phriday 37 - 04/15/22 12:34 PM

Bezoars, Madstones, Enteroliths.

I don't really know much about them, and, unfortunately, I don't usually sift through the stomach contents of deer, elk, and other ungulates I shoot. To me, these stomach "stones" are very interesting.

This is a photo of one that a friend of mine found in a Sitka blacktail deer in SE Alaska. Obviously, it's been sawn open to view the cross-section.
[Linked Image]

Any of you out there have a collection?

Jack
Posted By: Kayleigh

Re: Photo Phriday 37 - 04/15/22 01:22 PM

Interesting! Never heard of such a thing.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Photo Phriday 37 - 04/15/22 01:41 PM

Would find something similar when fossil hunting in the Dickison ND formations @ 45-60 million era
mostly polished stomach stones from the reptiles was what I was told.
Interesting subject
Posted By: MJM

Re: Photo Phriday 37 - 04/15/22 06:23 PM

I never knew there was such a thing. Now I will be digging in gut piles.
What wind and sand do to glass over time. This glass was from the early to mid 1940's on Chirikof Island AK.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: white17

Re: Photo Phriday 37 - 04/15/22 06:40 PM

Jack; Is that black area in the center a solid nucleus or a void in the stone ?
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Photo Phriday 37 - 04/15/22 07:03 PM

Interesting! How many would you find in a stomach and are they in every single deer?
Posted By: Boco

Re: Photo Phriday 37 - 04/15/22 07:15 PM

Nice Beezoe.

Re: Photo Phriday 37 - 04/15/22 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by white17
Jack; Is that black area in the center a solid nucleus or a void in the stone ?

Sorry it's not clear in the photo. The dark center is actually a "real" stone. It was probably inadvertently swallowed and became the nucleus around which the bezoar formed, much like the grain of sand in an oyster becomes the nucleus of the pearl.

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
Interesting! How many would you find in a stomach and are they in every single deer?

JP, I think they are quite rare. I would be surprised if they are in 5% of deer, but I'm only guessing. On the other hand, I suspect that they are a lot more common than one would suspect, simply because nobody really looks for them.
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Photo Phriday 37 - 04/15/22 07:28 PM

Deer pearls? Seems like similar way of forming. Interesting . Never seen it, but I don’t think I’ve ever cut open a deer stomach
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Photo Phriday 37 - 04/15/22 07:29 PM

A widely held belief was that if bitten by a wild animal, you soak the mad stone in milk and place it on the bite to prevent Rabies! sick
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Photo Phriday 37 - 04/15/22 07:30 PM

Awesome! Be interesting to know if that occurs in other animals also.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Photo Phriday 37 - 04/15/22 07:30 PM

Deerzie Pearls !

Thank you Jack, for your wonderful detailed observations.
Posted By: saskbone

Re: Photo Phriday 37 - 04/15/22 09:04 PM

Bezoar stones are fairly common in porcupines I believe. Used in a lot of traditional medicines I think.

Re: Photo Phriday 37 - 04/15/22 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gulo

JP, I think they are quite rare. I would be surprised if they are in 5% of deer, but I'm only guessing. On the other hand, I suspect that they are a lot more common than one would suspect, simply because nobody really looks for them.

Ok cool! I might take a peek at some this Fall.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Photo Phriday 37 - 04/15/22 10:49 PM

I collect the gizzard stones out of wild turkeys I kill.

A twenty pound eastern gobbler.
[Linked Image]

The inner gizzard lining.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Photo Phriday 37 - 04/15/22 11:49 PM

Lol Lugnut, is that all from one Turkey?
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Photo Phriday 37 - 04/16/22 12:08 AM

It is from that one bird. Going by the gizzards I've dissected, I'd say that's about an average amount for a two-year-old, 18-20 lb. gobbler.
Posted By: Trapper5123

Re: Photo Phriday 37 - 04/16/22 01:08 AM

I'm from as deep in the Ozarks as you can get. Madstones were collected from albino or piebald deer due to there healing property. Big Bob knew what he was talking about. My great grandma had a madstones and she would soak it in sweet milk and the wound would be healed. Do I think it cured rabies? No. I still think there was something there though. All the old timers had faith in it.

Re: Photo Phriday 37 - 04/16/22 04:17 PM

I've heard the same thing about the healing properties for snakebite. Soak the bezoar (madstone) in milk, set it on the fang-marks from a rattlesnake. The madstone will turn dark as it sucks out all the poison. Although I do put a lot of credence in old "folkllore" remedies (and a lot of them have scientific basis), the ability of a bezoar to cure snakebite is a bit too far-fetched for me.

Jack
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Photo Phriday 37 - 04/16/22 07:39 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Chinook full of baby crabs.

How does a salmon round up all those baby crabs?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums