Home

Off grid water collection?

Posted By: steeltraps

Off grid water collection? - 04/18/22 01:33 AM

Anyone have any tips? 14x40 cabin. Rain gutter on each side. Thinking about = tiring 3 of thise 330 gallon totes in back of cabin. Any suggestions??

Attached picture A0A414FE-D103-470C-A26A-1BB8DBA07B9C.jpeg
Posted By: Marty

Re: Off grid water collection? - 04/18/22 01:41 AM

That is a nice spot, good luck with it. Collecting water from the gutters would be a good start....

Re: Off grid water collection? - 04/18/22 01:45 AM

May have too! 1/2 mile from County Rd. So well is about 8000 dollars. Running from country rd = water meter and 1/2 mile of line about 7500 When I not on the road trapping i want to be here. SO stay here maybe 30-40 nights a year. Water collection. Makes more sense. Very piece full here. Midldle of no where LOL!
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Off grid water collection? - 04/18/22 02:21 AM

Lots of way to save water. Not to many ways to cheaply keep it sanitary, don't forget to keep that in mind
while saving to use it, run it through a filtration process of some sort, don't just assume its clean enough to drink
if it's been stored a long time !
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Off grid water collection? - 04/18/22 02:32 AM

I have read a few things about using UV light to purify water. Aside from reading it I know nothing about it except it might be worth checking into.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Boco

Re: Off grid water collection? - 04/18/22 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by GritGuy
Lots of way to save water. Not to many ways to cheaply keep it sanitary, don't forget to keep that in mind
while saving to use it, run it through a filtration process of some sort, don't just assume its clean enough to drink
if it's been stored a long time !

As long as there are no chemical contaminants all you have to do is boil it.
Lots of springs in the bush here,but still need to boil it to be 100% sure,especially during the spring freshet.
That said,I have drank plenty of springwater from the ground with no ill effects.
One spring source where we got nice cold water to drink on the railroad,we had tested every month for e-coli etc.Only during the spring freshet was there trace amounts of e-coli.

Re: Off grid water collection? - 04/18/22 05:06 AM

I dont have any plans of drinking it. I have bourbon at cabin to drink. LoL ! Just water for bathing and toilet
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Off grid water collection? - 04/18/22 05:14 AM

Yea, nice. Not the middle of nowhere if you can park the truck outside the door!
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Off grid water collection? - 04/18/22 09:15 AM

Is a well out of price? If not a well and a hand pump will keep you in water for a long time and you won't have to boil it or chlorine it for any use.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Off grid water collection? - 04/18/22 09:24 AM

My first thought was if those totes are used and what did they have in them before?
Posted By: vermontster

Re: Off grid water collection? - 04/18/22 09:54 AM

If you have a stream you can use a Ram pump they need no electricity and use the force of water to pump up to 80 feet of head and quite a long distance. Google Ram Pump and you can build one yourself.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Off grid water collection? - 04/18/22 09:54 AM

Not pricey to pound a point for a shallow well if the surface water allows. A pitcher pump can be installed as well as an electric 12v pump.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Off grid water collection? - 04/18/22 11:14 AM

Cistern water tastes bad. Had family here in KS on farms that had them. They had underground concrete tanks to collect rain water. It ran through a charcoal filter after coming off the roof. If you decide to collect in totes it should be fine for bathing cooking and washing dishes. As much rain as you get in AL I dont think you would run out if you get enough storage. A little clorox once in a while will keep it biologically safe. Coming off a metal roof you should be chemically safe. Bottled water is for sale now at every grocery store so you will have drinking water that tastes good.
Posted By: Kermit

Re: Off grid water collection? - 04/18/22 12:20 PM

Paint the tanks, as clear tanks grow funky stuff
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Off grid water collection? - 04/18/22 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Is a well out of price? If not a well and a hand pump will keep you in water for a long time and you won't have to boil it or chlorine it for any use.

This is what I'd try
Sand point well
Posted By: Redknot

Re: Off grid water collection? - 04/18/22 01:20 PM

Point well and a solar 12dc or 24dc volt pump and a couple of batteries...Done deal..

Re: Off grid water collection? - 04/18/22 03:56 PM

Well is not going to work for me at 8000. I dont have time to drill even a small 1. The 3 tote idea is what. I have in mind for off grid cabin. Watching lots of off grid videos for gutter systems. May go get. 330 gallon totes and black spray paint tomorrow. Also may go get the wood and post hole diggers the job will need. I will have to hire the job out. Since i dont have time to do all this myself

Re: Off grid water collection? - 04/18/22 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Foxpaw
My first thought was if those totes are used and what did they have in them before?

Was told. They are food grade? 55 -75 dollars around here
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Off grid water collection? - 04/19/22 12:10 AM

Might consider burying them to hide them and be able to use a small pitcher pump.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Off grid water collection? - 04/19/22 12:23 AM

If the guy that told you they were used in food grade is trustworthy then that’s okay, but around no one will say that because of liability, looks like a nice cabin.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Off grid water collection? - 04/19/22 01:13 AM

Collecting water off of the roof will work if you accommodate the fact that there will be birds crapping on the roof....and deal with the water to make it safe.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums