Home

Who keeps their fur harvest records?

Posted By: beaverpeeler

Who keeps their fur harvest records? - 04/19/22 04:31 PM

And if you do, how far back do your records go?

Personally I'm terrible at keeping records (tax time is a major drag), but since Oregon requires me to report my fur harvest I have on-line access to my numbers going back 32 years. I have always accurately reported over the years so Voila I have instant access to my harvest data over much of my trapping career. I was recently looking back at some of that stuff and was amazed how faulty my memory is sometimes. Nice to have a fact checker! Among the nuggets: I have averaged right at 200 beaver a year over the last 32 years. (That includes two or three years that I didn't trap any because of low prices). Purty cool to know that!
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Who keeps their fur harvest records? - 04/19/22 04:39 PM

Your a beaver catching machine ...my back is sore, just thinking about it..well done Sir
Posted By: Boco

Re: Who keeps their fur harvest records? - 04/19/22 04:43 PM

We had to seal everything here except muskrats,after that was replaced with mandatory harvest reports.
I kept all my sealing records and harvest reports with my licences since my first one around 1970.
Also shortly after that I shipped fur to auction and I kept all my auction receipts/grading/lotting letters,so I have a record of all the prices over the years for all the pelts also.
I also have all my tax records so I could likely compile a bunch of stuff to see what it cost to produce all the fur over the years.
I doubt i would have the inclination to wade thru all that paperwork at this point however.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Who keeps their fur harvest records? - 04/19/22 06:15 PM

We do it is part of the business, that's the only reason .

Otherwise before just pictures.

Re: Who keeps their fur harvest records? - 04/19/22 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Your a beaver catching machine ...my back is sore, just thinking about it..well done Sir

Not trying to self-promote here, just putting out there the cool stuff you can see when you have records to look back over. I don't really know how many beaver I harvested in my whole career as I don't have anything for records from 1974 to 1989. Just an educated guess.

Prior to 1978 we had a 100 beaver limit in Oregon and had to seal then as we took them with a metal tag. In those days I never was at risk of taking a limit of beaver. Probably averaged 35 or so a year as incidentals in my nutria trapping.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Who keeps their fur harvest records? - 04/19/22 08:01 PM

I've got catch records going back to 1969. More detailed records from 1981 to present. As beaverpeeler stated, interesting to go back over those records and reminisce. During this 53-year period, I've always held down various jobs, so trapping has been more-or-less secondary and recreational (or supplementary).

Jack
Posted By: Computer Hater

Re: Who keeps their fur harvest records? - 04/19/22 08:13 PM

I have my records all the way back to when I started trapping as an 11 year old kid. I know how many of each species that I have caught. It is interesting to look back at what I caught each year and how things have evolved over the years.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Who keeps their fur harvest records? - 04/19/22 08:24 PM

I have catch records and hunting logs going back to 1970.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Who keeps their fur harvest records? - 04/19/22 08:34 PM

I caught my 1st fox in 1978, 1st coyote in 1981. I have an Excel spreadsheet all the way back to a few seasons b4 that. Have caught around 1300 foxes, about that many coon, nearly 1000 coyotes, almost 600 otters and about that many beavers, and around 300 plus bcats.

40+ years of Georgia trapping......

Re: Who keeps their fur harvest records? - 04/19/22 08:54 PM

Those are pretty darn good numbers Swamp. I'm going to look back at my otter numbers and see how I stack up against your take.... smile
Posted By: Lance Squires

Re: Who keeps their fur harvest records? - 04/19/22 09:04 PM

I have kept my trapping journal from way back in either 1969 or 1970. Haven't looked at them in years. I thought I'd wait until I'm older, lol.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Who keeps their fur harvest records? - 04/19/22 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Those are pretty darn good numbers Swamp. I'm going to look back at my otter numbers and see how I stack up against your take.... smile

When averaged over 41 years they are not very good. If my catch was plotted on a graph it would look like a few big mountains and several small hills...lol
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Who keeps their fur harvest records? - 04/19/22 11:40 PM

I had records from 1980 to 2004 with numbers, species and values or prices. I got rid of those in 2005. I started keeping the papers from NAFA then and now FHA and the other places I sell to as well. So records now are only about 17 years old. Interesting to watch the continuous downward slide in prices over the last 8-9 years and also except for rats the reduced catches as well for me.

Bryce

Re: Who keeps their fur harvest records? - 04/20/22 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler

My exact otter catch going back to '89-'90 was 804. Had some bigger catches when otter were going good and then like this year I only took 4 as I didn't set for them. An average of 25 per year.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums