Home

Which neck knife?

Posted By: nyhuntfish

Which neck knife? - 04/19/22 09:58 PM

Question: Which neck knife do those of you who carry one like best?

Meaning: A small fixed-blade, full-tang knife you carry around your neck (inside your shirt if you want).

I would prefer flat or convex grind for this knife, good price.

This would be for everyday carry. Thanks.

(I looked for a thread on this first but didn't find one)
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/19/22 10:05 PM

I carry a cold steel bird and fish knife. I really like it.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/19/22 10:08 PM

Had to look it up. Nice knives but I don’t think I could do the hanging around the neck thing.

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/19/22 10:15 PM

I carry two, one I can get in the courthouse and one I can’t.

[Linked Image]

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/19/22 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper

[Linked Image]

Funny. I have that little gerber...... I've noticed can take it in to court house anytime. Keep it in your briefcase. Metal detector guy will mention it, no big deal.

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/19/22 10:39 PM

Briefcase........did you say “Brief-case?”

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/19/22 10:48 PM

I don't get it
Posted By: Boco

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/19/22 11:52 PM

Definitely a Mora.
Most bushmen carry mora knife around their neck,tucked inside their shirt.Safest place to carry a sheath knife.
The mora has a stout blade that works well with a baton and holds a super sharp edge and easy to touch up or sharpen.
It has a good stout comfortable handle with no tang(guard) to get in the way of work,and a sharp point for drilling.

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/19/22 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Definitely a Mora.
Most bushmen carry mora knife around their neck,tucked inside their shirt.Safest place to carry a sheath knife.

That's what I do now. Mora is so light. I usually use the basic one. Very cheap and light. Just looking for something I can baton with I guess, and maybe is a little smaller.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/20/22 12:29 AM

Neckers are generally lite short bladed knives, not sure how much you can baton with them?

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/20/22 12:33 AM

The Mora is a superb knife for baton work.
The blade is the same length as your hand is wide at the thumb pad-perfect size.

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/20/22 12:54 AM

This is a mora necker, not much blade to baton with... [Linked Image]
Posted By: Pirogue

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/20/22 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by grumley701

Don't waste your time....BOCO knows EVERYTHING !! Just ask him.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/20/22 01:10 AM

In waders or a kayak I have come to use one of the small CRKT "minimalist bowie knives" as anything on the belt gets hard to put my hands on in a pinch. I kinda like what you have there Grumley- its a little bigger than what I been using.

Oh, I figured out a way to keep it from bouncing up into my face- save one of the tiny shock cords they use to put price tags on with and you can loop it around a shirt button. I don't rig it up very tight- just enough tension that I wont have to eat the thing if I get "extra graceful" at some point.

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/20/22 01:12 AM

That's a stock photo lefty, I don't own a Mora...
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/20/22 02:07 AM

That picture is an Edris model, The shieth is designed for neck carry and makes that small handle safer and easier to use. Jist reverse it.

I think that BOCO might be referring to a Mora NO.1 I have both and they are different tools for different uses. I rarely carry either one. Good knives but I rarely neck carry now. That may change again, Not sure.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/20/22 02:15 AM

I wear this one most of the time in the woods. Reeneacting or normal hunting and trapping, it hangs around my neck. Its a 6 inch blade, French boucheron style, late 18th century knife.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/20/22 02:35 AM

I don’t carry a neck knife much but when I fly armed I carry this.

[Linked Image]

Funny story. I was going through, or around, security once. When you fly armed, you still put your stuff through an x-ray machine. Usually. I put my stuff up there and the TSA guy said, “Sir, you can’t take the knife.” I said, “Huh?” He repeated himself. I said, “You realize I’m carrying a 9mm with 30 rounds?” He insisted I still wasn’t allowed to carry a knife. We worked it out with his boss but that was funny.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/20/22 02:36 AM

Kydex holster for it allows a quick draw if needed.

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/20/22 02:54 AM

Here is a bush knife by Mora-an actual useful tool that has been used extensively.
Its a decent thrower too.
[Linked Image]
I dont know what that yuppie thing is you got but I guess its good for cleaning your fingernails,lol.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/20/22 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by nyhuntfish
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper

[Linked Image]

Funny. I have that little gerber...... I've noticed can take it in to court house anytime. Keep it in your briefcase. Metal detector guy will mention it, no big deal.

I have that same little Gerber knife too. A friend gave it to me when I was best man at his wedding. I skinned a skunk with it and it ended up in my garbage disposal, which I turned on. The garbage disposal did very little damage to it. They are tough knives.

Keith

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/20/22 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Boco

Here is a bush knife by Mora-an actual useful tool that has been used extensively.
Its a decent thrower too.
[Linked Image]
I dont know what that yuppie thing is you got but I guess its good for cleaning your fingernails,lol.

As I said I don't own a Mora, it's a stock photo. The OP was asking about neck knives, that's one of Mora's neck knives.. I prefer bigger and better steel myself..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: charles

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/20/22 03:28 AM

When I fly I have to get the full body scan because I have a metal knee. Before the scanner begins, I have to remove everything from my body, even a Kleenex in a shirt pocket. I normally send most stuff through the baggage scanner. Once I reached in my pocket to discover I had a small, razor sharpe pocket knife. I cupped it in my hand and removed my watch, holding both in the same hand over my head. TSA never noticed the knife. Another time I flew from Raleigh to Miami to a Caribbean Island, then boarded a ferry boat to our destination Island. Upon removing my jacket, I discovered a live 25-06 round that slipped though three scans. Yesterday we flew home from Denver. TSA wanted to examine my watch. I looked at the monitor and my titanium knee was not flagged. I never have reason to hide something, but I think the scanners might not always be adjusted correctly.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/20/22 03:47 AM

AG Russell woodswalker (bois d’arc scales are my addition)

Attached picture 6181492D-95D6-4A7E-9E42-2CBA435CCDFC.jpeg

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/20/22 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by the Blak Spot
AG Russell woodswalker (bois d’arc scales are my addition)

Looks to have a convex ground edge..

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/20/22 10:58 AM

Thanks everyone!

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/20/22 11:04 AM

I have a bunch of Moras. The basic one is often under $10 on Amazon. The "Companion heavy duty" is like $15 and a great bang for the buck. And they have higher end models too. Great knives for the price. I was just looking for something a little smaller. I'd skin with them too but..... scandi grind not great for skinning.

I'm aware of the Eldris but I don't know if I want to wear that upside down without their $20 add-on strap... so then you're at at $40+ Mora.

Also, I broke one of the basics last year (but have only broken one, ever so far) baton-ing but I was probably overdoing it.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/20/22 06:48 PM

Hard to beat those Moras, I have half a doz of them at any one time, give them away to the kids too. If you need a knife, they're all the knife you need for most anything a knife is good for.
It's not an ax, or shovel, or executioner sword, just a cheap, sharp, good basic knife.
I have some really nice expensive ones, but I use the Moras.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/20/22 09:45 PM

crkt had it a few years now [Linked Image]

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/21/22 01:13 AM

They make nice little knives don't they Jeff?
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/21/22 02:03 AM

I like this one. Made in USA. TOPS

Attached picture 570C70F8-856C-477B-A182-A34B957F8A02.jpeg
Attached picture AB309882-D1C7-4056-AA32-BEB55A2FB730.jpeg
Posted By: run

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/21/22 01:54 PM

Nice knife thread!
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/21/22 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by steeltraps
I like this one. Made in USA. TOPS

Tops makes a good knife

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/21/22 04:24 PM

HT that little clip knife fits in the butt stock compartment on my Back Packer 10/22 along with a spare rotary mag and a box of 50 shells. Purdy handy if you ask me

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/21/22 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
HT that little clip knife fits in the butt stock compartment on my Back Packer 10/22 along with a spare rotary mag and a box of 50 shells. Purdy handy if you ask me

It’s got a 3” blade. That’s plenty to cause bleed out.

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/21/22 04:39 PM

I wouldn't want to skin a whole carcass with it because the smaller the handle, the quicker my hand will cramp but I have field dressed a couple different hogs with it.

Now I feel silly not figuring out I could use it as a money clip in places that usually frown upon me carrying a knife

Re: Which neck knife? - 04/21/22 04:45 PM

PM Sent.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums