Home

Ummm...thought they throw this wood away

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Ummm...thought they throw this wood away - 04/19/22 10:34 PM

Yeahhhh I thought they usually throw this wood away at the Mills but I guess..... Marketing?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Ummm...thought they throw this wood away - 04/19/22 10:40 PM

Called live edge boards. I operate a big mill, nothing is thrown away. I grind and sell bark, screen and sell sawdust.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Ummm...thought they throw this wood away - 04/19/22 10:40 PM

A lot of people like making furniture out of live edge wood.

Keith
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Ummm...thought they throw this wood away - 04/19/22 10:42 PM

It's a big deal right now.
Posted By: Mwhite1978

Re: Ummm...thought they throw this wood away - 04/19/22 10:45 PM

Yeah live edge is the hot ticket right now. People will pay way more for a knarley ruff looking slab of wood than nice regular lumber.
Posted By: ccoyote

Re: Ummm...thought they throw this wood away - 04/19/22 10:45 PM

I think around here it is advertised as Live edge.... used for shelving, mantels, etc.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Ummm...thought they throw this wood away - 04/19/22 11:44 PM

Live edge wood in this area is a wanted item.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Ummm...thought they throw this wood away - 04/19/22 11:46 PM

Really big thing here live edge and knots, what we used to burn as junk wood in the cabinet business we now use. crazy
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: Ummm...thought they throw this wood away - 04/20/22 12:25 AM

We call it wane at the mill and we are allowed so much per board. Other then the knots a lot of those look like #1 boards.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Ummm...thought they throw this wood away - 04/20/22 12:40 PM

They are harvesting younger trees every year to help fill orders. When I first got I to construction my boss complained about the quality of wood. He would sort through the pile and send back anything he rejected. Mot of what he sent back would be considered #1 or select today.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Ummm...thought they throw this wood away - 04/20/22 01:20 PM

It's a fad
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Ummm...thought they throw this wood away - 04/20/22 07:38 PM

When I was in the military there was a guy from Iowa I think it was, who drove around looking for abandoned buildings to buy the wood. He only was interested in boards that had vertical siding. Not sure why that was; never asked him. That was in the late 60s.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Ummm...thought they throw this wood away - 04/20/22 08:09 PM

Last year I cut some board and posts with my Alaskan saw mill to build the chicken coop after I saw the lumber prices. I had one slab 2 1/2 inches thick live edge that had the shape of a bottle as I cut it out of a crotch. The admiral said that she wants to sell that board rough cut as it was. So she took a couple of pictures and sold the darn thing for 700 bucks on day two of posting the pictures online. It was red oak and not properly dried yet. People are crazy
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Ummm...thought they throw this wood away - 04/20/22 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Last year I cut some board and posts with my Alaskan saw mill to build the chicken coop after I saw the lumber prices. I had one slab 2 1/2 inches thick live edge that had the shape of a bottle as I cut it out of a crotch. The admiral said that she wants to sell that board rough cut as it was. So she took a couple of pictures and sold the darn thing for 700 bucks on day two of posting the pictures online. It was red oak and not properly dried yet. People are crazy

Scuba1:

Can you post a picture of what that $700.00 Board looked like ?
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Ummm...thought they throw this wood away - 04/20/22 09:18 PM

Not the exact board but it was the one I cut out of the crutch of this log. I would have thrown it away and the only reason that I cutie was that I was to lazy to re adjust the mill frame and thought ill do two cuts to get the junk out toad then I'll be back in the useful stuff.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Ummm...thought they throw this wood away - 04/20/22 10:10 PM

About 1000 board feet of air-dried, 10/4, live-edge walnut I had milled two years ago. The owners were going to chop it up for firewood but didn’t have a saw big enough for the main trunk.

About $15,000-$20,000 worth of wood there at current market prices.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Ummm...thought they throw this wood away - 04/20/22 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
About 1000 board feet of air-dried, 10/4, live-edge walnut I had milled two years ago. The owners were going to chop it up for firewood but didn’t have a saw big enough for the main trunk.

[Linked Image]

Nice
Posted By: run

Re: Ummm...thought they throw this wood away - 04/20/22 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut

[Linked Image]

Impressive.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Ummm...thought they throw this wood away - 04/20/22 11:32 PM

Here's a few juniper table tops with bark edge we clear coated this week . The bar was a large single slab , not sure why I have no pic , I'll have to get one it's pretty cool

[Linked Image]

A sign we painted for the same business

[Linked Image]
Posted By: waggler

Re: Ummm...thought they throw this wood away - 04/20/22 11:41 PM

Just run it through an edger and you have regular boards.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums