Home

Calamari for dinner

Posted By: west river rogue

Calamari for dinner - 04/22/22 09:02 PM

Ir [Linked Image]
Bought these in Philippines 20 for a buck
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Calamari for dinner - 04/22/22 09:05 PM

Calamari is one of my favorite foods. We can't buy it at any of the grocery stores near us anymore.

Keith

Re: Calamari for dinner - 04/22/22 09:07 PM

found it here yesterday keith already breaded and in 24 oz bag. Walmart or save alot.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Calamari for dinner - 04/22/22 09:23 PM

Squid?

Re: Calamari for dinner - 04/22/22 09:24 PM

yup
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Calamari for dinner - 04/22/22 09:26 PM

Squid is good.

Re: Calamari for dinner - 04/22/22 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by west river rogue
found it here yesterday keith already breaded and in 24 oz bag. Walmart or save alot.

Thanks Steve, I'll check it out. The 2 closest Walmarts to me have not had any calamari for a long time. I'll have to stock up if they have it back in.

Keith
Posted By: Guss

Re: Calamari for dinner - 04/22/22 09:28 PM

I like the legs.

Re: Calamari for dinner - 04/22/22 09:48 PM

I like it all but prefer the rings which is the body. Are you thinking of octopus legs?
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Calamari for dinner - 04/22/22 10:50 PM

I don't care to eat anything that sticks to my plate in self defense....
Posted By: SJA

Re: Calamari for dinner - 04/22/22 11:00 PM

Szechuan Squid stir-fry over rice! . . . laugh
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Calamari for dinner - 04/23/22 01:35 AM

Squid is bait . Nothing else. Spent way too much time pukin over the rail while cutting up that nasty stuff to ever eat it.
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Calamari for dinner - 04/23/22 02:25 AM

Also used it for bait. Worked great for bait but I could never eat it. Might be good but not for me
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Calamari for dinner - 04/23/22 02:25 AM

I had several gallon of squid I got last fall fishing, it was awesome all cleaned up and cooked up in the deep fryer.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Calamari for dinner - 04/23/22 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by 20scout
I don't care to eat anything that sticks to my plate in self defense....

That's your throat
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Calamari for dinner - 04/23/22 02:36 AM

I always thought it tasted pretty good... But I got tired of chewing on it for 20 minutes. Every piece I ever ate was like chewing on one of those pink erasers.

Mike
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Calamari for dinner - 04/23/22 03:29 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Calamari for dinner - 04/23/22 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by drasselt
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Pretty sure that is octopus. Really good balanced in cider vinegar then smoked. Locally marketed as Kraken.

I won’t eat squid for reasons similar to what 3Fingers spelled out. If you barf it up you most likely lost your taste for it.

Re: Calamari for dinner - 04/23/22 03:53 AM

Ha ha yeah no for sure I posted the pics then couldn't get back in. It was pretty good, not great not bad. I couldn't taste any difference between skin and sucker on or peeled. The wife wasn't having suckers on her salad... I'll try a few other ways and see.

Re: Calamari for dinner - 04/23/22 03:55 AM

I always traded the ones caught in shrimp pots with a Pilipino gal. She got octopus and I got pancit.

Re: Calamari for dinner - 04/23/22 04:00 AM

I have found octopus to be tough if you don’t do it right. If you blanch it the skin and suckers peel right off. Frozen it’s easy to slice very thin then marinade and grill. Pickled it’s tender and my favorite is light smoked and canned

Re: Calamari for dinner - 04/23/22 04:13 AM

Both squid and octopus should only be cooked for a very short time, or they will become tough. I usually cook calamari for about 2 1/2 minutes.

Keith

Re: Calamari for dinner - 04/23/22 04:18 AM

I see the Board of Fish just took some action on squid, defined some gear etc. I saw some pretty good sized dead ones on the bottom of the Seward harbor in the fall pretty sure they came in on their own there weren't many guys still fishing and they were spread out so it didn't look like somebody had thrown out their unused bait.

Re: Calamari for dinner - 04/23/22 05:13 AM

I see the Board of Fish just took some action on squid, defined some gear etc. I saw some pretty good sized dead ones on the bottom of the Seward harbor in the fall pretty sure they came in on their own there weren't many guys still fishing and they were spread out so it didn't look like somebody had thrown out their unused bait.

That’s interesting. I have heard a little about guys out of Valdez catching them with a multi hooked jig, glow in the dark, at very deep depths

Re: Calamari for dinner - 04/23/22 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by 3 Fingers

That’s interesting. I have heard a little about guys out of Valdez catching them with a multi hooked jig, glow in the dark, at very deep depths

Similar here in SE
© 2024 Trapperman Forums