Home

Light Rust on Stainless Gun Barrel

Posted By: BvrRetriever

Light Rust on Stainless Gun Barrel - 04/23/22 06:31 PM

I’ll be the first to admit…I’m not the most diligent when it comes to caring for my every day brush beater guns. I’ve got a stainless 10/22 that I use heavily while following hounds. The barrel is brush whipped and developed a light rust in the scratches.

The stainless is more of a brushed finish and is not polished. I’m wondering if a fine steel wool would buff it out without wrecking the finish altogether? Anyone try it already?
Posted By: cotton

Re: Light Rust on Stainless Gun Barrel - 04/23/22 06:41 PM

4/0 steel wool and some gun oil
Posted By: jtg

Re: Light Rust on Stainless Gun Barrel - 04/23/22 06:51 PM

Don't use anything that a magnet will stick to. Only use stainless wool or stainless brush on stainless.

Re: Light Rust on Stainless Gun Barrel - 04/23/22 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by jtg
Don't use anything that a magnet will stick to. Only use stainless wool or stainless brush on stainless.

Good point….had not thought of that!
Posted By: Lufkin Trapper

Re: Light Rust on Stainless Gun Barrel - 04/23/22 07:17 PM

Sounds like it's about ready for the dye. Dip or boil?
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Light Rust on Stainless Gun Barrel - 04/23/22 08:32 PM

I watched a gunsmith remove rust spots by rubbing them with a penny and a dab of Kroil.

Mike
Posted By: jtg

Re: Light Rust on Stainless Gun Barrel - 04/23/22 11:01 PM

Cool, nice tip. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
I watched a gunsmith remove rust spots by rubbing them with a penny and a dab of Kroil.

Mike
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Light Rust on Stainless Gun Barrel - 04/23/22 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by cotton
4/0 steel wool and some gun oil

this and it works on most bluing also

bought s few guns that had a speckle of rust , obviously I used that to talk down the price , after this treatment you would never know
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Light Rust on Stainless Gun Barrel - 04/23/22 11:54 PM

Using regular steel wool will leave lots of microscopic steel all over the stainless and the whole barrel will rust. It won't hurt anything since the rust will be .00000" thick but it will look worse than it looks now.

I wouldn't worry about it for a beater gun but if you are worried, stainless steel wool.

Re: Light Rust on Stainless Gun Barrel - 04/24/22 02:14 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys…Even though it’s a beater, I hate to see rust…even on stainless.
Posted By: MnJag

Re: Light Rust on Stainless Gun Barrel - 04/24/22 02:45 AM

Try this works good on blued guns. Never have tried it on SS. [Linked Image]
Posted By: MnJag

Re: Light Rust on Stainless Gun Barrel - 04/24/22 02:46 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tooltime

Re: Light Rust on Stainless Gun Barrel - 04/24/22 11:59 AM

Flitz metal cleaner
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Light Rust on Stainless Gun Barrel - 04/24/22 12:12 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: G Hose

Re: Light Rust on Stainless Gun Barrel - 04/24/22 12:19 PM

I got the same problem on the same gun. Only reason I spent the extra money for the stainless one hoping that it wouldn’t rust. But it’s got rust
Posted By: MTHunter

Re: Light Rust on Stainless Gun Barrel - 04/24/22 04:31 PM

I was told to use WD40 and 4/0 steel wool. I followed that with Flitz and haven’t had a problem. The Frontier product should be good.

WD-40 ® Multi-Use Product protects metal from rust and corrosion, penetrates stuck parts, displaces moisture and lubricates almost anything. It even removes grease, grime and more from most surfaces.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Light Rust on Stainless Gun Barrel - 04/24/22 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by jtg

Cool, nice tip. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town

Mike

I'm going off my memory here... But if I remember correctly the caveat is that it had to be a real penny... Not the copper clad zinc garbage they're issuing today.

Mike
© 2024 Trapperman Forums