Home

Snowy owls?

Posted By: Osky

Snowy owls? - 04/26/22 12:30 AM

Are any of you northern US guys still seeing snowy owls? I saw one today maybe 45 miles north of Minneapolis, seems awfully late for them to be here yet but maybe I am wrong?

Osky
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Snowy owls? - 04/26/22 12:42 AM

Bummed I havent saw one this year, heard reports of everyone else seeing them.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Snowy owls? - 04/26/22 12:54 AM

Still frozen up here
easy hunting for them with muskrats in rut down there

Re: Snowy owls? - 04/26/22 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Northof50
Still frozen up here
easy hunting for them with muskrats in rut down there

Sure could be. I just don’t recall seeing them this far into spring down here but I’m no authority. The guys west of here in Dakota seem to see more of them so I thought I’d ask. The one I saw today was the smallest I’ve ever seen.

Osky
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Snowy owls? - 04/26/22 01:05 AM

Are you sure it was not a Gyr falcon ?

Re: Snowy owls? - 04/26/22 01:32 AM

Nope. Flew very close then perched right in front of me. I did a hard look as I was thinking it was a different bird but no.

Osky
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Snowy owls? - 04/26/22 11:41 AM

Yes my buddy Dan Tanner just took some pictures of one.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Snowy owls? - 04/26/22 12:43 PM

Haven't seen one here
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Snowy owls? - 04/26/22 12:46 PM

Dan Tanners pictures

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: DakotaBoy

Re: Snowy owls? - 04/26/22 01:51 PM

I usually only see one or two each year, but I don't look too hard for them either. If they are still around, they must be gorging themselves on all the 13-stripe ground squirrels running across the snow banks in the ditches in the afternoons!
Posted By: Tray

Re: Snowy owls? - 04/26/22 02:12 PM

Fairly common here in the winter, see 20-25 most winters. Haven’t seen one now for over a month, think they all headed north.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Snowy owls? - 04/26/22 02:49 PM

I hope they didn't get the " flu"

Re: Snowy owls? - 04/26/22 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tray
Fairly common here in the winter, see 20-25 most winters. Haven’t seen one now for over a month, think they all headed north.

Thanks guys. I notice them of course when they show up in the late fall and winter but yesterday seeing that one still here got me thinking I’d never kept track, what track I could, of when they departed.

Osky
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Snowy owls? - 04/26/22 03:46 PM

They show up here ("here" being the northern Lower Peninsula) about any time after November 1st, and a guy can usually find them on into mid March no problem. There are stragglers nearly every year that seem to linger on past spring. It seems that summer before last there were some Snowys here all through the summer. Now THAT is odd. I personally have never seen any past March, or before late November/early December, but I know folks that have.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Snowy owls? - 04/26/22 07:42 PM

Seen one near north branch a few days ago, surprised me that it was still around
Posted By: Tray

Re: Snowy owls? - 04/26/22 08:52 PM

I’ve read that most snowy owls don’t breed until they are 2 years away old, good chance that any stragglers that haven’t headed north are young birds that don’t have the urge to hurry up and get north to find a mate.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Snowy owls? - 04/27/22 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Osky
Are any of you northern US guys still seeing snowy owls? I saw one today maybe 45 miles north of Minneapolis, seems awfully late for them to be here yet but maybe I am wrong?

Osky

45 miles north of the cities?
I don't know who was more lost, you or the bird lol.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums