Home

setter pup making progress

Posted By: danny clifton

setter pup making progress - 05/01/22 12:29 PM

Completely house broke. Getting better at cmere even if other stuff is going on, loves to play fetch. have not introduced him to any quail or pheasants or wings or anything but he pointed the neighbors chickens yesterday. I think thats good?
Posted By: ABeardedTrapper

Re: setter pup making progress - 05/01/22 12:40 PM

That’s awesome Danny. My old English would point box turtles in the yard. She did it as a pup and it took hold. She never did it while hunting only when in our yard. My new pup will be 6 weeks next week. Looking foreword to the training. Eric
Posted By: Posco

Re: setter pup making progress - 05/01/22 01:08 PM

Did the dog actually flash point the chickens? If so, that's a great sign. Put a short leash or rope on the pup and pull him in gently as you tell him to come. Praise him as he does so and love him up when he gets to you. Sounds like you did a good job on the housebreaking.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: setter pup making progress - 05/01/22 01:11 PM

I bought a pointing lab pup, he's 10 weeks old and seems like he has no desire to point at anything. Glad yours is pointing already.
Posted By: Chukar

Re: setter pup making progress - 05/01/22 01:20 PM

Have had multiple English Setters over the years and down to one.
Best thing that worked for me was start asap with a 12 ft. cane pole , about 8 feet of monofilament , a quail or pheasant wing. As you take the pup out for bathroom breaks walk with pole and drop the wing in bushes or taller grass, work on a whoa or hold command. Reward and make it fun, if the pup gets bored hold off for a bit.
Just be patient and steady with the training cycles
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: setter pup making progress - 05/01/22 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
I bought a pointing lab pup, he's 10 weeks old and seems like he has no desire to point at anything. Glad yours is pointing already.

I've had 2 pointing labs. Neither pointed wings on strings, birds in the yard, etc. as pups. They just started doing it while hunting.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: setter pup making progress - 05/01/22 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1

I've had 2 pointing labs. Neither pointed wings on strings, birds in the yard, etc. as pups. They just started doing it while hunting.

Good to know, thanks.

Setters are probably the most beautiful dogs out there in my opinion, this thread needs atleast one picture.
Posted By: Chukar

Re: setter pup making progress - 05/01/22 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1

Working on a buddies pointing lab now, and the best training aid I have personally used is an experienced, and trained lab to learn from.
But they are still labs, not setters.
Having had both at the same time I can say, again from personal experience that labs are easier to train and have a milder disposition.

Re: setter pup making progress - 05/01/22 02:17 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: setter pup making progress - 05/01/22 02:21 PM

My new pup. [Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: setter pup making progress - 05/01/22 02:31 PM

That's way cool Danny...pointing already
Posted By: ttzt

Re: setter pup making progress - 05/01/22 03:18 PM

Our pup has pointed from when we got him at 9 weeks old, leaves butterflies, birds, anything that moved he pointed. He is the huntingest dog I have ever been around.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: setter pup making progress - 05/01/22 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by ttzt
Our pup has pointed from when we got him at 9 weeks old, leaves butterflies, birds, anything that moved he pointed. He is the huntingest dog I have ever been around.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A Gordon?

Re: setter pup making progress - 05/01/22 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by ABeardedTrapper
My new pup. [Linked Image]

You're killing me.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: setter pup making progress - 05/01/22 03:56 PM

I always wanted an Irish setter. But down here there's really just no birds to hunt with one other than a very few quail.

Re: setter pup making progress - 05/01/22 04:43 PM

Posco I still have some available. Eric
Posted By: ttzt

Re: setter pup making progress - 05/01/22 04:51 PM

Yes Posco, I had never seen a Gordon until my wife's brother got one. Then she really wanted a puppy, so.........

Here's both of them with some ruffs and blues.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums