Home

New cell phone

Posted By: merganser

New cell phone - 05/01/22 11:40 PM

Need to get a new to me phone. 2 questions...1. Better to get a new phone or try to buy someones used phone? 2. If new, better to get an Apple product or a Samsung/Android? All because I got talked into/lied to, buying a phone whose company went out of business and is not supported. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: New cell phone - 05/01/22 11:46 PM

I'm a galaxy fan, currently using a s21. I don't think I'll ever go back to apple.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: New cell phone - 05/01/22 11:50 PM

Always been an android person, Galaxy S21 for me.
Posted By: warrior

Re: New cell phone - 05/01/22 11:53 PM

Note 9 here. Buy a refurbished unlocked phone, your choice of towers depending on better coverage in your area. Then sign up for one of the low cost trac type services.

I use straighttalk.
Posted By: bowhunterks

Re: New cell phone - 05/01/22 11:55 PM

I've had good luck with Samsung / Android I bought mine at DG
I buy a phone card monthly unlimited talk / text and 1GB data
for around $28 bucks
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: New cell phone - 05/01/22 11:56 PM

Android user here too. My current phone (which I just broke the screen on) I've had for 4 years and bought used for around $40. It's an LG.

Re: New cell phone - 05/01/22 11:57 PM

Oh and unless you absolutely have to have the latest greatest all the bells and whistles look a generation or two back from the current flagship model. The leap from one to the next generation now isn't all that huge and unless you are a heavy business/photo/document user almost all you'll look at will have ample storage and speed for the average user.
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: New cell phone - 05/01/22 11:58 PM

Galaxy s20 here.

Can't think of any complaints.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: New cell phone - 05/01/22 11:58 PM

I like my Apple. Of course it’s used for more than a phone too, lol.

Re: New cell phone - 05/02/22 12:00 AM

Samsung is the game to beat in the Android market. Apple is, well, Apple.

Re: New cell phone - 05/02/22 12:03 AM

BTW unless you're a nerd that writes lots of notes to self there's really no need for a stylus on a phone like this nerd's Note 9.

Seriously I diagram out jobs, do longhand math, and map out my sets in my notes app.
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: New cell phone - 05/02/22 12:05 AM

I've always used samsung galaxy and had S series. I decided to go cheap this time. I got a galaxy A series. No problems so far and only 8 bucks a month and glad I made the switch. Keep more money in my pocket.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: New cell phone - 05/02/22 12:06 AM

we have gotten the last few from this place https://www.backmarket.com/refurbished-smartphones.html

they are used-refurbished

it isn't one seller it is a market place for a bunch of sellers to sell refurbs
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: New cell phone - 05/02/22 01:19 AM

Apple here
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: New cell phone - 05/02/22 01:25 AM

Verizon unlimited and Android Galexy
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: New cell phone - 05/02/22 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
BTW unless you're a nerd that writes lots of notes to self there's really no need for a stylus on a phone like this nerd's Note 9.

Seriously I diagram out jobs, do longhand math, and map out my sets in my notes app.

I’ve got enough stories in my Notes section my kids could have a book published when I die…a part 1 and 2, lol.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: New cell phone - 05/02/22 02:08 AM

Android here. Do you need a smartphone or just talking and texting? I have Verizon and their salesmen have me paying $103 per month.
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: New cell phone - 05/02/22 02:19 AM

Apple hand me down
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: New cell phone - 05/02/22 04:35 AM

I tried various phones all the way from the Motorola bag phone, flip phone, dumb phone, semi smart phone to iPhones. I always stay with iphone for easy replacement to rollover info. I always buy new not refurbished. However, I buy 2-3 generations back. That brings me to my iPhone that I bought last October. I get 3-4 years from an iPhone before systems begin to fail.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: New cell phone - 05/02/22 04:40 AM

Android , straight talk $40 a month
Posted By: mike mason

Re: New cell phone - 05/02/22 09:43 AM

Flip phone for $30 from Consumer Cellular. Bill only $25/month.
Posted By: t2trap!!

Re: New cell phone - 05/02/22 11:42 AM

I like Samsung. I've got Straight Talk through Wal Mart 2 lines cost me $90 a month
Posted By: Posco

Re: New cell phone - 05/02/22 11:49 AM

Samsung Galaxy for less affluent folk like me. First smartphone I ever owned is the one I'm posting with. Been a good experience. Us Cellular @ around $90 a month.
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: New cell phone - 05/02/22 12:35 PM

Samsung / Android here.
Like stated previously, new but couple of generations back from current.
Does everything I've needed so far
Posted By: Ken Smith

Re: New cell phone - 05/02/22 04:25 PM

I use Samsung. I like the smart phones for making videos. I'm about to trade in my old note 8 for a S22 from at&t

I pay about 65$ a month. Not bad for no contract and unlimited data but once I trade in my phone I'll need to be in contact I think it's closer to 90$ a month than what I pay now
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: New cell phone - 05/02/22 05:07 PM

I have both. Work provides an apple phone. My personal phone is a android product. I personally like the android products but that's what I'm use to and it seems more user friendly.

Another thing to consider is reception. Find a smart phone that has a excellent antenna product. You will get better reception in rural areas. I get reception in places my apple product won't. I have motorola/android smart phone. Motorola use to be known for their quality antenna system. I'm not sure if they are still a leader in that category but when you talk to a sales representative let them know you're looking for a product with a quality antenna, especially if you live or work in rural areas.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: New cell phone - 05/02/22 09:50 PM

I ran a Blackberry for years, as in two of them lasted me fifteen years. When my last one went bad I went to a Unihertz Titan. I like the phone, the battery lasts about five days, it is waterproof, and has a physical keyboard. But. . . service on it sucks, I'm with Verizon but a majority of the local towers in rural areas are a small local cell company and still 1x service. This phone is supposed to get 1x and it shows it has service, but will never work on 1x or 3G only on 4G. I intentionally got a 4G phone because all the 5G LTE phones don't get the 1x service. But it didn't do me any good. According to the Verizon rep (who I don't completely trust) the reason it won't work on the local companies towers is because they have been fighting with Verizon, wanting more money for tower rental and Verizon isn't willing to pay it; so any old phones that were already working on their towers continue to work, but any new phones will not work until/unless they come to an agreement. I know a couple people who have upgraded their phones through Verizon and also had this problem once they upgraded, so I think the rep may be telling me the truth. But I have also been a couple places where others with Verizon have 4G or 5G service and my phone does not, come to find out it recieves on a bunch of different frequencies, some ran by Verizon and some ran by other companies, but it does not recieve on all the frequencies Verizon uses. Not sure where you would find out what frequencies are used by what towers (Verizon was completely unhelpful on this) but if you could find out what frequencies towers in the area you were going to be in most frequently, broadcast on, you could crosscheck that against frequencies recieved by whatever phone you were interested in.
Posted By: merganser

Re: New cell phone - 05/03/22 01:19 PM

Thanks everyone for your input.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: New cell phone - 05/03/22 01:48 PM

One other thing to consider, What does your friends and family use? Our family went exclusively to Iphones so that we could all Facetime. There are things are not cross-compatible.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: New cell phone - 05/04/22 12:31 AM

No phone.
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: New cell phone - 05/04/22 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion
No phone.

Same here. People spend too much time on the dang things.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: New cell phone - 05/04/22 04:02 PM

LG Android. Used for calling people. Thats it.
Posted By: Bob

Re: New cell phone - 05/04/22 05:20 PM

I like my iPhone. I’ve had an iPhone 8 since they came out cause that’s when my iPhone 5 totally crapped out. I got the insurance on it, used it once to get a refurbished one when the screen shattered. The new ones have super good cameras, if that matters to you. If it doesn’t, get a refurbished one.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: New cell phone - 05/04/22 05:53 PM

Apple ..... mainly because everything around it is Apple as well. Laptop, I pad admirals laptop and I pad .. so we both use apple phones as well and it has been pretty trouble free.
Posted By: Actor

Re: New cell phone - 05/05/22 12:06 AM

Yep... my carrier TracPhone is making me get a new phone... I'm not sure what I am going to do... I only use the phone for emergencies... I DON'T use email or the internet on it, but I do use the camera a lot. I do text 5 or 6 family members to keep in touch with them.

The phone I have now is a Samsung S6 4G and they are closing down using the 4G say I have to get a 5G. I still have been buying the annual membership or whatever they call and have doing so since the year 2000. I get to carry my minutes, data and text over if I purchase before the year expires. I now have 30,409 minutes, 3092 SIMS which I guess is text and have run out of data and with 4 months left on the contract.

I am thinking I will just throw the phone in the lake and buy a camera.

Garry-
© 2024 Trapperman Forums