Home

High end hunting clothing

Posted By: USMC47 🦫

High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 03:07 PM

With the newest technology and materials in hunting clothing such as Kuiu and First Lite come Hugh prices. I see the value of some of these lines because of their functionality but they can cost 200-400 just for a top or a bottom. Are there comparable options from other companies like Cabelas or Basspro? Maybe another company?
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 03:22 PM

Hard to beat Carhart insulated bibs. I like the ones with the zipper all the way up the front. They call them zip to waist. Like good boots they need broke in. You can get some good long johns , put on blue jeans, a nice heavy shirt and a good coat and hood, and stay out in some serious cold. They last a long time. Taking all the abuse a trapper/hunter wants to dish out. You tube how to make oil cloth and you can water proof them. When its not bitter cold wear fewer layers. I think those big prices are for people who just feel good about themselves when they spend more. Most of the time.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 03:31 PM

The big $ stuff is nice. Got a couple buddies that use it and can afford it.
Not me. I can by with cheaper stuff.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 03:31 PM

Danny I bought a “zip to waist” Carharts used to call them coveralls back in the early 90s all camouflaged in the artic style...suckers lasted for over 25 years. Great zippers and snaps even at 25 years old. My Dad retired from construction after 40 years and gave me all of his clothing...lots old Carharts in the mix.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 03:33 PM

I talked massive amounts of junk to my buddies about their high end duck hunting gear.

After many times of me being cold, wet, or a combination of the two, I finally invested in my own

I do not miss being cold and wet

Bass pro and cabelas hunting gear sucks. I feel like their quality has taken a huge hit in the last 5 or 6 years.

I used to have the Cabelas Supermag waders, bought them cause they had a lifetime warranty. First pair lasted a few seasons, second pair lasted one season, last pair didn't make it through one duck trip. Now they no longer have a lifetime warranty and they wouldn't replace my last pair
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 03:34 PM

What exactly does this high end clothing do?

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 03:38 PM

Danny, I agree. I love my Carhartt insulated bibs, but they won’t do in my situation. I should have explained why I’m asking this question.

I’m starting to hunt elk. I’ve not ever done that in my life. I retired from the Marines and was just always stationed somewhere where there were no elk.

I hunted last year in an area I’m starting to like. I put between 8 and 17 miles on my feet in a day. The snow can be between 6 and 12” if I’m walking it. I wore high end wool clothing and it got heavy and wet. I wore pac boots and they were heavy. My walk in left me sweating. I layered down on the walk in and up but then I had to carry heavy outer clothing.

Newer clothing types are lighter, breathe better, and don’t absorb water and snow and freeze up. Newer boots by Kennetrek or Crispi are $450.

So this is why I’m asking about the newer stuff and a more affordable option. I’m asking for a few veterans I plan on taking up the mountains this year and into the future also.

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by lumberjack391
What exactly does this high end clothing do?
For the prices, I want them to hunt for me. Lol.

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 03:41 PM

MChewk you can get coveralls too. These are what I am talking about. Those cover all's are too binding for me.

https://dungarees.com/carhartt-r38-...&cs=BRN_4&size=48W34L&cid=24
Posted By: bhugo

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 03:47 PM

I bought Filson wool for hunting. Pricey, but American made and perfect. Will last my lifetime and probably someone else’s after I die.

If I had to walk 10 miles in a foot of snow, I’d stay home. Lol. More power to you.

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 03:51 PM

If you want to water proof them mix boiled linseed oil and a good quality mineral spirits 50/50. Hang your bibs on a line and apply the mix with a paintbrush. They will be waterproofed for a long time. When it does wear off after a year or two you can reapply it. Let them dry. Can take a week or so to dry good.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 04:01 PM

I can't say much about the functionality of the new light but warm gear as I have not been thru much winter weather since Hurricane Sandy. At the opposite end, I do use the fishing type clothing for working in the heat and it's awesome. Not only does it serve me well but a lot of brands aren't even expensive any more. In the fall, the short sleeved Magellan shirts are 20 and the Columbia shirts are 10 bucks more.

I do spend a little more on footwear and most everything I wear is Twisted X, Ariat, and New Balance. I've tried lots of Khakis and even tho they aren't cheap, the Kuhl pants for work are top of the line as far as I am concerned. Unfortunately they only have a couple styles that aren't tapered.

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 04:13 PM

Danny, this new stuff is literally POUNDS lighter. For what you’re using it for, I’m sure it’s great but there’s much better stuff available today. Even my military gore-tex is better than having that stuff up a mountain. It really is night and day. Like using a post hole diggers versus an auger on a tractor for 150 holes.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 04:18 PM

Sounds like you are in for some enjoyment of the land and sharing it with good folks too.

Elk are fun but challenging.

They can see your toes wiggle inside your boots if you're not careful wink
Posted By: ol' dad

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by USMC47 🦫
Danny, I agree. I love my Carhartt insulated bibs, but they won’t do in my situation. I should have explained why I’m asking this question.

I’m starting to hunt elk. I’ve not ever done that in my life. I retired from the Marines and was just always stationed somewhere where there were no elk.

I hunted last year in an area I’m starting to like. I put between 8 and 17 miles on my feet in a day. The snow can be between 6 and 12” if I’m walking it. I wore high end wool clothing and it got heavy and wet. I wore pac boots and they were heavy. My walk in left me sweating. I layered down on the walk in and up but then I had to carry heavy outer clothing.

Newer clothing types are lighter, breathe better, and don’t absorb water and snow and freeze up. Newer boots by Kennetrek or Crispi are $450.

So this is why I’m asking about the newer stuff and a more affordable option. I’m asking for a few veterans I plan on taking up the mountains this year and into the future also.

I bought a pair of Sitka Mountain Pants, their lightweight hoodie, and one of their mid layer jackets. I also bought a pair of Crispi boots. I have a pair of Kuiu paints and their Marino wool long sleeve shirt. I've been on two western archery elk hunts, each 10 days long. I don't know how many miles I've walked or elevation traversed. This, in addition to several seasons of Missouri whitetail and turkey hunting. I am extremely happy with both the clothing and boots. I do not regret buying them. Although I was able to purchase them through an outfitter friend at 50% off. They are probably worth it even paying full price.

I'm prior military as well and have all my old gear, as well as various wool clothing, and have used the typical bass pro and cabalas gear throughout my 40 years of hunting. This is an expensive purchase but IMO is worth it. Those who criticize it because of the cost probably have never worn it as intended, therefore their opinions do not matter to me.

Check in with their website(s). You should be able to get a military discount.

ol'dad

Posted By: charles

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 04:35 PM

I also use insulated bibs made for work, not hunting. Many years ago I found a pair on a discount rack at a farm supply store. They were many sizes larger than my size but were also short in the legs. I discovered they were easy to slip in and out off. When they finally wore out, I purchased another set that was also short but very full.

Some waterproof hunting clothing is too loud for walking quietly. Hard to find a happy medium between waterproof and stealth materials.
Posted By: bass10

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 04:55 PM

Well my 2cents are that they are expensive but not over priced. You get what you pay for. My wife bought me a Sitka jacket for christmas, I like my higher end stuff but probably wouldn't have
spent the $$ on. After wearing just a few times I am sold, boy is it sweet and warm. I'd have to think you'd have it for many years. I bought a pair of Russell Moccasin turkey boots used for $200,
they are $550-$600 new. I thought I'd never spend that much on them but after having these, they are well worth the price.

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon
Sounds like you are in for some enjoyment of the land and sharing it with good folks too.

Elk are fun but challenging.

They can see your toes wiggle inside your boots if you're not careful wink
I always love your humor, Sharon.

Yeah, I’m working on starting something with a non-profit to bring veterans and also kids of veterans and law enforcement killed in the line of duty out to the places we love.
Posted By: Marty

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 05:27 PM

With the newest technology and materials in hunting clothing such as Kuiu and First Lite come Hugh prices. I see the value of some of these lines because of their functionality but they can cost 200-400 just for a top or a bottom. Are there comparable options from other companies like Cabelas or Basspro? Maybe another company?

Some of the high end stuff is real good and no less expensive brands will offer the same benefits. I buy used, cold temperature stuff when it is warm....moderate temperature stuff when it is real cold...my experience is that they last a while if not abused. I would imagine that prices for the new stuff will be up or going up considerably if they get it in stock. Some guys have to buy the latest/greatest and have all they own in matching camo...rockslide forum classifieds are a great place to watch for good used gear for much less....50%+ off new if you are patient and watch very regularly for it...highly discounted stuff does not last long.
Posted By: nate

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 05:54 PM

Give archery hunting a shot beautiful weather, bugling bulls, aspens/quakies coloring up and several states allow crosbows. Downside is the weather is pretty warm some days so you'll need to be able to get it out in decent time.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 06:16 PM

I’m slowly swapping over to American made only. Don’t think anything mentioned on here is American made except possibly Filson. Even my beloved Mossy Oak shows Malaysia, China, and Taiwan on the labels.
I went with FORLOH. Expensive? Yes. But so far what I’ve gotten has been worth it. Only started out with their lightweight insect shield clothing and I can tell you it works for me 100%. Doesn’t do well walking through briers, but a lot of lightweight clothing won’t.
Just ordered their ALLCLIMA pants and will test them in Washington next week. Next purchases will be their base layers and a jacket. It’s nice to put on clothes made with American materials and in America.
Posted By: midlander

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 06:26 PM

I just wished sitka would offer some better camo patterns for the midwest. As far as the linseed oil and mineral spirits idea, I dont think youd ever get that smell out of the clothing .....deer noses work in this part of the country Lol

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 06:28 PM

If I could change all my camo for soft earth tone solid colors I would do it...
Posted By: adam m

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 06:32 PM

Also consider looking into snowboarding or ski clothing. Very thin & warm. Snowboarding clothing has a lot of camo & earth tone patterns too.
Posted By: midlander

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Marty
If I could change all my camo for soft earth tone solid colors I would do it...

I still think camo only plays a small part in the big picture. Look at all the deer that were killed by our fathers and grandfathers generation wearing red and black wool plaid. Having said that, the technology is here to make clothing lighter and warmer at the same time and Im thankful for it.
Posted By: Koss2005

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 06:39 PM

I've had pretty good luck with some high end long johns they keep you warm but they also breath and reduce the amount of sweat and allow you to wear lighter clothing. As far as footwear you might just have to bite the bullet and shell out the cash. Or you could for go all of that and take your elk closer to the truck

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 06:41 PM

Midlander, if they can smell your pants they can smell your breath

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 06:45 PM

Koss2005 , even when I was young and a 17 mile day just made me sleep better, we used pack animals. Getting a dead elk to a pickup thats miles away, on foot, will kick your hind end even when your a young guy.

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 06:50 PM

USMC47, I am following this thread. Lighter is better if you get the features you need without question.
Posted By: Ringneck1

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 06:52 PM

Are we not boycotting carhartt?

I agree. Bass pro was never any good, and they have successfully modified Cabelas stuff to where its not worth owning. A lot of the newer clothing seems to be designed for backpacking type pursuits.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 06:52 PM

The best value in high quality clothing at a working man's price is Huntworth. Plus I have a deal with them and if you use my code, you get an additional 20% off and free shipping on orders over $150. The code is BBB-20 to get the 20% off.

I get a small kickback if you use the code, so I do have a vested interest but seriously they make the best hunting clothing for the money of any company. They just don't spend millions on marketing like sitka, Kuiu and others. https://huntworthgear.com/

Posted By: Dirty D

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 06:55 PM

I have a high end (Simms) weatherproof fishing jacket that I bought over a decade ago. I think it was approx $400.

My buddies that used cheaper jackets go thru them every couple of years while I'm wearing the same old jacket.
My jacket has seen no care other than hanging up in a heated garage when done for the day.
It has finally worn thru on the cuffs and the weather proof coating is getting weak. I get some water seeping in after a couple of hours in the rain.
I have thought about replacing it but at $600 or more I'm looking at cheaper ones again.
Its tough to bit the bullet but I know that I'll be disappointed in a cheaper jacket.

I guess in the end I'll bite the bullet and go for it. It will probably be the last jacket I buy and as I get older the comfort and quality is appreciated.

I say go for the good stuff, there is a difference in my experience, and when your spending long hours outside in less than ideal conditions it makes a difference.

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by nate

Give archery hunting a shot beautiful weather, bugling bulls, aspens/quakies coloring up and several states allow crosbows. Downside is the weather is pretty warm some days so you'll need to be able to get it out in decent time.
I’m an archer at heart. There’s no better time to be in the hills and mountains.
Posted By: yukon254

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 07:41 PM

Yes there are many not just comparable, but better options. I see this stuff every year. Sitka, Kuiu, etc. Helly Hanson makes some good stuff thats reasonable. I've seen hunters show up with a fancy Sika suit of clothing that cost over $1000 and leave with it in tatters. Hard to beat good wool imo. The one exception is the Yukon Raingear by Kuiu. A fellow gave me the jacket. Its outstanding, and worth the money IMO.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
The best value in high quality clothing at a working man's price is Huntworth. Plus I have a deal with them and if you use my code, you get an additional 20% off and free shipping on orders over $150. The code is BBB-20 to get the 20% off.

I get a small kickback if you use the code, so I do have a vested interest but seriously they make the best hunting clothing for the money of any company. They just don't spend millions on marketing like sitka, Kuiu and others. https://huntworthgear.com/

I'll keep these guys in mind and read some more reviews, I've wanted a couple pieces of nice gear but it doesn't seem to provide enough value for the price when it comes to Sitka etc.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 08:39 PM

I have some sitka, first lite, and two pairs of KUIU pants and one wool shirt.

SITKA makes some amazing outer layers, stratus bibs and coat, Fanatic bibs and coat and vest very warm and the GORE windstopper is second to none...I got it all 40% off though

First lite has some great stuff too, merino and insulation layers

KUIU attack pants, most comfortable hiking and hunting pants I have found, merino wool is excellent too

Posted By: WANNABE-TRAPPER

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 08:59 PM

I went to POW hunting deer wearing all Kuiu. I probably would had to quit my hunt without it. I wore 1 single long sleeve shirt most of the time. If I got wet I would switch shirts hang it in a tree and in 20 minutes it’s dry. I would wear a back up shirt while the first shirt was drying. Between the two shirts they didn’t even weigh 2lbs.
It was 45-60 degrees and I Was comfortable the entire 5 days of hunting. When it rained hard I put my Helli Hanson rain gear on. When I was sitting I would put on a neck gaiter that weighs 2ozs and I would stay warm. But The combination of performance with dry time, it didn’t get all gross, and weight it’s well worth the money.
Posted By: Koss2005

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 09:30 PM

Oh I know Danny. I never had the luxury of a pack animal, I was the pack animal. That's how I learned to bone out my elk, and it was still more than one trip. Now days I'd just have to stay there and eat it till it was gone
Posted By: EdP

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 10:37 PM

When you are the pack animal and old like me, you really appreciate the ultra light, ultra warm, ultra packable gear even though it is ultra expensive. It's not needed to walk out back to a tree stand, or day hunt from the road, or ride an ATV to a spot close to your blind, but when you carry everything for a multi-day hunt on your back for miles into the back country, the thoughts about all those $ spent just fade away.
Posted By: rick olson

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 10:56 PM

Most of the stuff is way over priced because of their advertising costs etc.I'm in the middle class hunting clothes Woolite burbber's wind proof pants are waterproof and -30 base layer's is what I have good for sitting in Mn and hiking 5 to 10 miles per day in Mt.Wool is king for keeping you dry and warm,Danner boots,still a $200 boot,I asked a good friend I sometime hunt with about the Kenetrek etc.he told me to save my money,great boot,but I wouldn't use them enough to justify the cost,tough to spend $450 to $500 on a pair of boots to only use about once every 3 years.
Posted By: coyotesoldier229

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 11:04 PM

I have the kuiu guide pants, chugach rain jacket, and a pair of gaiters. I use the Gaiters to keep the pants from getting wet or torn up. Nothing some super glue can’t fix. Best rain coat I’ve ever had, and I’ll wear it as a shell if it’s snowing. I bought it a size bigger than normal so if I layered up I can still move freely. I’ve probably had all over 6 years. Now if I’m sitting in a tree stand in December, I’ll take my carhart bibs.

I’ll agree with what Ed P said also, minus the old part, but I’m working on that
Posted By: garymc

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/03/22 11:19 PM

I used to love the Cabelas gear and still use some of my MT050 from time to time, but compared to the Kuiu gear the Cabelas stuff feels like it is filled with lead. Absolutely no comparison in weight. The Kuiu Super Ultra Down is phenomenal when it comes to warmth to weight ratio. I believe the pants and jacket combined weigh less than a pound and can be wadded up small enough to fit in your pocket. It also is water/wind proof. I always wear it as an under layer as I feel as an outer layer it would be noisy and not durable. I did most of my more strenuous hunts before Kuiu, but have been a long time user of First Lite merino base layers. In a layering system the Kuiu will really shine on hunts where there is a lot of walking over multiple days in reducing cumulative fatigue. If I were to ever go on another elk or caribou hunt where a lot of walking was in order, Kuiu would definitely be my go to because of the warmth to weight ratio along with the engineering/thought that has went into the system for venting to regulate body temp, pocket design, fit and it is down right comfortable with the no binding design. I scoffed at the price as many have, but using sales, discount codes, the used market etc have started to accumulate some of the most useful pieces I need.

On another not I never wear a Kuiu outer layer to tree stand whitetail bow hunt in WV as I feel it is not quiet enough.
Posted By: D.T.

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/04/22 12:18 AM

In my opinion its worth the money. If you're the kind of hunter who sits in a blind shack or spends a lot of the time in a truck, sure it's not worth it. I bet most of the people saying the expensive clothing is for those who just like to spend the money couldn't hang for a couple miles in the mountains. I run Sitka clothes. They are awesome. The fits are great and sporty, and there is something for all conditions. The rain gear is top notch. I think its worth it for what its worth.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/04/22 03:34 AM

I wear old school camo from the 90's

Mostly Mossy Oak brand camo in different patterns

I have nine full sets ( 6 pocket pants , short sleeve t-shirt , long sleeve t-shirt , button up long sleeve ) to run a full week of archery hunting .

I keep them in a heavy duty tote , with fresh cut sage .

Some guys I know run one or two high dollar outfits all week long , sweating like pigs ......do pigs sweat ?

To each their own
Posted By: Boco

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/04/22 03:49 AM

Just layer up with some good old outdoor everyday workclothes.
All that other stuff is just gimmicky junk to get your money.
Posted By: waggler

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/04/22 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Hard to beat Carhart insulated bibs. I like the ones with the zipper all the way up the front. They call them zip to waist. Like good boots they need broke in. You can get some good long johns , put on blue jeans, a nice heavy shirt and a good coat and hood, and stay out in some serious cold. They last a long time. Taking all the abuse a trapper/hunter wants to dish out. You tube how to make oil cloth and you can water proof them. When its not bitter cold wear fewer layers. I think those big prices are for people who just feel good about themselves when they spend more. Most of the time.

That outfit will most likely result in your death where I hunt and trap. A good recipe for hypothermia.
Posted By: aknome

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/04/22 07:33 AM

Cotton Kills. Still abusing 20 year old Cabela's gear but I agree the new stuff is junk. Layers are the ticket to comfort and safety and a pack large enough to hold it when you shed some of those layers. 38 years of experimenting in Alaska will shorten your list of what's acceptable. A friend brought Sitka gear up here but it went into the trash rather than the luggage back to the lower 48. Complete tatters on a very moderate hunt. Wool is fine if you aren't putting on miles or sliding down avalanche chutes on your rear end. Under Grunden's on an ATV all day in the rain is nice and cozy.
Sounds like you need lightweight layers and a good shell for wind / rain. Fleece is my go to for layers.

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/04/22 12:18 PM

Lots of good info in here. Oh, Boco…..don’t ever change. Lol.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/04/22 01:23 PM

USMC, I'm not sure if you know but you can sign up with Sitka and receive 40% off of their clothing for your service. You have to do it directly through them, its called their pro program

First Lite also has a program similar to this but I'm not sure what their discount is

Kuiu only offers 10% off to veterans and law enforcement

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/04/22 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by coondagger2
USMC, I'm not sure if you know but you can sign up with Sitka and receive 40% off of their clothing for your service. You have to do it directly through them, its called their pro program

First Lite also has a program similar to this but I'm not sure what their discount is

Kuiu only offers 10% off to veterans and law enforcement
Noah, good info, buddy. I’ll check it out.

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/04/22 01:47 PM

Been awhile since I hunted elk. 40 years or so. None of that stuff you guys are talking about was even invented. Elk season was in Oct. in CO. Far from arctic conditions. Never been to AK. Trapped and camped in some WY Jan and Feb weather. Was a bit chilly a few times but got by. Instead of walking 17 miles a day we used horses and mules to hunt elk. Set up a camp. Hike 3-4 miles tops. Used binoculars more than boots or saddles. Trapping in WY used an argo a lot. If your going to pack out antlers and meat on your back , your going to earn your groceries no matter what your wearing.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/04/22 03:39 PM

What country is on the tag of Sitka or First Lite or Kuiu?
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/04/22 04:00 PM

Cotton is rotten..need wick dry tee shirts...and wick dry socks
Posted By: Posco

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/04/22 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by aknome
Cotton Kills. Still abusing 20 year old Cabela's gear but I agree the new stuff is junk. Layers are the ticket to comfort and safety and a pack large enough to hold it when you shed some of those layers. 38 years of experimenting in Alaska will shorten your list of what's acceptable. A friend brought Sitka gear up here but it went into the trash rather than the luggage back to the lower 48. Complete tatters on a very moderate hunt. Wool is fine if you aren't putting on miles or sliding down avalanche chutes on your rear end. Under Grunden's on an ATV all day in the rain is nice and cozy.
Sounds like you need lightweight layers and a good shell for wind / rain. Fleece is my go to for layers.

Same here on the Cabela's clothing, the old stuff was good and practically indestructible. I still have a lot of it that's twenty-five years old, well-worn and still very serviceable.

Good advice you give.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/04/22 04:56 PM

It wasn’t many years ago I would have agreed with the car hart crowd but I gotta tell ya their is no comparison between today’s hunting gear and what was available just a few years ago . Today’s clothing is lighter warmer and quieter than anything available just ten years ago. I don’t know how many dry plus jackets I have that only work if it does NOT rain , lol. Just kept trying different weight jackets and non of them worked. That being said they were a lot lighter than carharts and warmer.
Today I have a 3 piece set of Browning ( jacket outer parka and bibs ) that are warm , dry , quiet and weigh about a third of what the old clothes weighed. I bought the entire getup 50 percent/off for about $150 and wish I had listened to my son a long time ago . [Linked Image]
Yea it’s made in China but the price was right and the wearability ( is that a word ) is great . I can’t speak for using it on a 10 to 17 mile hike , I start heading to the truck after 3 or 4 when I’m in the mountains.
Good luck John, let us know what you end up with .
P.S. also bought this on clearance after season.
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/04/22 04:59 PM

I bought some KUIU stuff last year and will be buying a bunch more this year. It’s all really nice but I defiantly like some pieces more than others. It light weight dries fast and keeps you warm
Posted By: wytex

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/04/22 05:10 PM

Check out Camofire and Black Ovis for deals. This time of the year they put older styles on closeout and get ready to roll out new pieces, deals can be had on some items.
Forums like Rokslide will have clothing for sale, you can get some good deals.
I've bought new items on Ebay.

Lots of military discounts out there.
If you pop on over to a western hunting forum like Rokslide they have manufacturers come on with new products and new manufacturers too.

The skiing and snowboarding stuff is good but not quiet.

Warm , lightweight clothing for mountain hunting is a game changer. No heavy pants to weigh down your legs in deadfall, quick drying materials when it gets wet and warmth with light weight.

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/04/22 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
What country is on the tag of Sitka or First Lite or Kuiu?

not USA.
Posted By: 30/06

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/04/22 06:56 PM

I am still using 20-year old Mil Issue gore tex jacket and pants in original woodland camo. Tough stuff, no broken zippers, still waterproof including seams. Too noisy for some close in hunting, but quite functional. If you might have to live in it for a week, without dying out indoors, you'll appreciate it.
Posted By: sneaky

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/04/22 08:08 PM

Try mountain hunting in that getup you just described. You'll have a stroke. Usually the people I see commenting on high end hunting clothing have never actually tried it, or don't hunt in the same conditions and can't justify it. Carhartt sold their soul to China and are good for riding 4 wheelers around, and that's about it around here.

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/04/22 08:13 PM

Basspro and Cabelas quality has taken a nosedive, so to answer your question, no. If you look to non- hunting brands you can get some good quality gear just in solids. Forloh is 100% American made camo based up there in Whitefish, you qualify for a good discount with them as a Vet. Same with Kryptek. Gulch Gear is another US made option, and their pants are unhemmed, may actually fit you lol. I never buy camo full price. Apply through Sitka for their military discount and save a bunch as well. Deals can be had. Technical clothing isn't cheap by any means, but it keeps you alive. Cotton kills in the weather you deal with, and takes forever to dry compared to synthetics. I'll PM you.
Posted By: Tooltime

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/04/22 08:14 PM

Carharts aren’t made in the USA

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/04/22 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by yukon254

Yes there are many not just comparable, but better options. I see this stuff every year. Sitka, Kuiu, etc. Helly Hanson makes some good stuff thats reasonable. I've seen hunters show up with a fancy Sika suit of clothing that cost over $1000 and leave with it in tatters. Hard to beat good wool imo. The one exception is the Yukon Raingear by Kuiu. A fellow gave me the jacket. Its outstanding, and worth the money IMO.

If they tear up a set of Sitka in one hunt then they're the most clumsy hunters on the planet. I've worn the same Sitka sets for years, all over the west and year round. Burnt a hole in a pair of pants when I brushed against a propane burner, that's it. Everything else looks like the day I bought it.

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/04/22 09:17 PM

Sneaky, this IS getting old. I was wandering around in the rockies likely before you were even a gleam in your daddy's eye. If you need that stuff then buy it. I do not. I was out and about LONG before any of that stuff was even invented.

Most of the time
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/04/22 10:27 PM

That's just funny

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/06/22 09:01 PM

Sneaky, this IS getting old. I was wandering around in the rockies likely before you were even a gleam in your daddy's eye. If you need that stuff then buy it. I do not. I was out and about LONG before any of that stuff was even invented.

Most of the time

You must be dang near 80 then. I'm impressed if you're still hiking the Rockies!
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/06/22 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by sneaky

Try mountain hunting in that getup you just described. You'll have a stroke. Usually the people I see commenting on high end hunting clothing have never actually tried it, or don't hunt in the same conditions and can't justify it. Carhartt sold their soul to China and are good for riding 4 wheelers around, and that's about it around here.

Sorry Danny, but I'd have a stroke riding a snowmobile with all that gear on. Carharts are for work, only because they can take the abuse and rigors of the job.

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/06/22 09:18 PM

[Linked Image]

3 weeks on a winter beaver line at 40 below breaking trail thru old burn is more work than anything you could ever imagine.
Hmmm are those winter work clothes or yuppie sports crap?

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/06/22 09:29 PM

I can imagine way more work than riding a snowmobile. Perhaps walking or skiing it. Or really anything else i do would be more work. It was probably hard for you. Have you ever shot a mountain goat 13 miles back with a longbow?

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/06/22 09:32 PM

Heres some work. Take Boco's advice. Work clothes will be great. 10' from your vehicle.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/06/22 09:40 PM

U just ain't hunting if u ain't wearing Sitka panties and carrying a 6.5 Creed
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/06/22 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by D.T.
I can imagine way more work than riding a snowmobile. Perhaps walking or skiing it. Or really anything else i do would be more work. It was probably hard for you. Have you ever shot a mountain goat 13 miles back with a longbow?

I think you misunderstood what meant. My point is snowmobiling isn't work and with heavy clothes like carharts I'd sweat to death.

Big fan of the new light weight stuff.

Boco I have caught 1 0lor 2 beavers under the ice. It's just as cold here as where you live and I spent a lot of time in it

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/07/22 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by D.T.

You are obviously clueless about taking a beaver quota in winter on a remote northern trapline.

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/07/22 12:02 AM

Your obviously clueless about hunting in the mountains. Stay close to your snowmobile....

the beaver in your left hand would fit in the side pocket of my sitka pants

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/07/22 12:05 AM

I have carried tons of moose out of the muskeg-my own and some for lazy Americans.

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/07/22 12:10 AM

How far was your walk to the ATV. This one was only 9 miles in.
[Linked Image]

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/07/22 12:21 AM

ATV get stuck in muskeg,You got nice ground in that pic-must have been an easy pack.
Carried 2 moose out 4 miles thru muskeg that was criss crossed with trees from an old burn.
Americans were lost-killed the moose on the wrong side of the river out of season.
One guy was older-he carried one quarter to the river and was done.The other guy was young and in the army-he carried out the bulls head and was finished.
Me and my buddy Greg carried the rest.7 moose quarters.
We did a lot of stuff like that to relax when we had a few days off after working on the steel gang.
Posted By: ol' dad

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/07/22 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
I have carried tons of moose out of the muskeg-my own and some for lazy Americans.

So you've packed out like two moose? Lol

Ol dad

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/07/22 01:40 AM

I guess the while point of this thread is wether USMC thinks its worth the money. The stuff i do, i think its worth it. The stuff you do, you like regular work clothing and dont think its worth it.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/07/22 01:47 AM

I love my Day One Camouflage gear. Custom made and fit to your body type and measurements. Made in Colorado.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/07/22 03:04 AM

Boots are goi ng to be you best investment! if you get cold you can move to warm up. Normally in extreme cold I just wear a loin cloth! Hike to where I am hunting and put my goose down pants and coat on. Goose down, not goose feathers, are a must. These wrangler stretchy pants in to the hunt, then put my cabelas goose down (goretex) pants, 650 goose down jacket, with a wool over coat. I wear kennetrek grizzly pac boots. Of course I a was in the Army! It's ok 47, you'll do better next time. Thanks for your service!!!!!!
Posted By: Seek

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/07/22 04:37 AM

I have Kuiu pants and some pullovers and rain gear. You can't beat it. I live in Duluth, MN where you can wear a puffy all 12 months of the year. This years winter was about average temperature wise and I wore my Kuiu pants alot and most of the time without longjohns. The Kuiu Attack pants perform in all weather and conditions. They dry out fast and are very warm; you can vent if your hot and wear them about anywhere. They don't need to be washed a lot and are pretty (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) tough. I have used them on a couple Mtn. Goat hunts, elk hunts, upland, rucking to train, whatever. They are the bomb.

You can buy them onsale a few times a year but jump fast because sizes and colors go fast. I have at least 5-6 pairs in all colors and won't hesitate to buy more. Just because I wear them everywhere, church, school, whatever. They retail for $149 and worth every penny.

Kennetrek makes a great boot. I have Mtn Extremes. They break in fast and are very comfortable. The downside is I have found the soles to be a bit slippery, so thats a definite downfall. I have Crispi's too. They are a much shorter boot and more of a mountain fit. I recently climbed Camelback in Scottsdale with those on and their rubber sole was like a suction cup for my feet. No slippage or anything.

Everything is expensive but the equipment I listed will last you for years and you will find yourself wearing it everywhere. Don't hold back. Buy it. Kuiu gives a military discount if you want to buy when there is no sale going on.

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/08/22 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Scout1
Boots are goi ng to be you best investment! if you get cold you can move to warm up. Normally in extreme cold I just wear a loin cloth! Hike to where I am hunting and put my goose down pants and coat on. Goose down, not goose feathers, are a must. These wrangler stretchy pants in to the hunt, then put my cabelas goose down (goretex) pants, 650 goose down jacket, with a wool over coat. I wear kennetrek grizzly pac boots. Of course I a was in the Army! It's ok 47, you'll do better next time. Thanks for your service!!!!!!
Hahaha! Even soldiers have heroes. Lol.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: High end hunting clothing - 05/09/22 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Scout1
Hahaha! Even soldiers have heroes. Lol.

You are my Hero!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums