Home

Smelt run

Posted By: Bigwoods13

Smelt run - 05/05/22 03:11 PM

Just heard first net smelt pulled last night in chequamegon bay
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Smelt run - 05/05/22 05:18 PM

Been years since I did that, Sat on the shore with Rodger LePenter till 3am.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Smelt run - 05/05/22 05:26 PM

I brought home 3 -40 gallon cans of smelt once in the 80's
Never did that again
6 of us cleaned for 3 days. Called in to work sick

Sick of cleaning is what it was.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Smelt run - 05/05/22 05:26 PM

I love doing that. Haven’t done it in 10 years or so up there
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Smelt run - 05/05/22 05:57 PM

In the early 80's I ran smelting nets on Lake Michigan, mainly the Kewaunee pier, also the Manitowoc River.
I can eat them all day long, cleaning pails full........ is another story ! We used scIssors until the fingers about broke off.
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Smelt run - 05/05/22 11:56 PM

No smelt run to speak off that I have heard of in a long time in NE WI.
Posted By: jk

Re: Smelt run - 05/05/22 11:59 PM

Used to be great smelt runs n the finger lakes of New York but not any more and yes they are tasty cooked crispy is the way I like them.......jk
Posted By: Bigwoods13

Re: Smelt run - 05/06/22 12:15 AM

Smelt run every year in Chequamegon bay in Ashland many people and tons upon tons of pounds of smelt pulled out each year
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Smelt run - 05/06/22 12:15 AM

These
[Linked Image]

Re: Smelt run - 05/06/22 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Green Bay

Nope, I hear of smelting up on Lake Superior, but not on Lake Michigan or any tributaries.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Smelt run - 05/06/22 12:44 AM

Trapstickman got smelt once. Not too wild about it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: Smelt run - 05/06/22 01:11 AM

Smelt are running good here but I have no interest in eating them.
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Smelt run - 05/06/22 01:29 AM

Smelt are almost like the buffalo, almost gone any more .
There were great runs back in the 1960's but rare any more .
Ohio hasn't had one in 30 years to the best of what I remember .
Just like the sucker gigging 60 years ago .
Posted By: Twisted metal

Re: Smelt run - 05/06/22 01:47 AM

I would love to buy a 5 gallon pail full of anyone knows where I could get them
Posted By: K-zoo

Re: Smelt run - 05/06/22 01:50 AM

Fond memories of many nights on the beach at Pier Cove in Allegan County in the 70's. Camp fires on the beach and smelt dipping 'till early morning.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Smelt run - 05/06/22 02:58 AM

Never went after them before, but I swear I could eat half my weight of them if they kept them coming. Between the fact that they are the perfect size for finger food and taste delicious, they are right up near the top of my list.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Smelt run - 05/06/22 06:31 AM

I LOVE SMELT, YUM!

Had them first in Columbus, Ohio. My then fiancé (now wife of 45 years) and I had finished the third and last day of the bar exam. Her Dad gave us an envelope that said “Open after the end of day three”. The envelope contained a note saying have a blast and plenty of cash to treat us to a night on the town to blow off steam. After a couple room service drinks, we took a cab to Engine House #9 restaurant where beautiful women greeted us at the door tempting us with seafood to try. One gal had smelt cooked to crispy perfection. I tried one and immediately was hooked on them. (Smelt. I was already hooked on beautiful women.)
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Smelt run - 05/06/22 09:20 AM

My smelt the last several years come on hook and line through the ice. Higgins Lake, just north of Houghton Lake in Northern lower Michigan has a great smelt fishery. Starts at first ice using lights under ice to draw clouds of them in. Ending in March with them biting during the daytime. I use several hooks with a weighted hook on the bottom.
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: Smelt run - 05/06/22 11:08 AM

I get a few gallons every year. I went a bit overboard and still have a few freezer bags full from last year, so I didn't bother last week.

I actually smoke them and they are delicious smoked
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Smelt run - 05/06/22 11:19 AM

we use to have a two week run of they , but not any more, north and east u p still has some runs that I hear about
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Smelt run - 05/06/22 07:33 PM

We moved to our place near Lake Michigan 47 years ago and caught the last few years of the huge smelt runs. People have not even talked about smelt runs for 25 years around here. Did a few sucker runs which are a few weeks earlier then the smelt runs.

Bryce
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Smelt run - 05/06/22 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Hutchy
I get a few gallons every year. I went a bit overboard and still have a few freezer bags full from last year, so I didn't bother last week.

I actually smoke them and they are delicious smoked

I bet they are!!!
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Smelt run - 05/07/22 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by MnMan

[Linked Image]

Straight up funny!
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Smelt run - 05/07/22 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by BvrRetriever

[Linked Image]

Straight up funny!

Sure looks like a English Pointer Breed at work there
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Smelt run - 05/07/22 04:08 PM

[Linked Image]

"Let's go Brandon"! Sniffer Joe sure get's around!
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Smelt run - 05/07/22 07:06 PM

We use to hang a net Called a spider off of the break water at 2 rivers. We had a crane set up and used a 12 volt winch set up and hung a 12 volt sealed beam head light In the net. The light drew In the smelt in to the net. But It's been about 30 years since I did It.
Love some smelt.

Re: Smelt run - 05/07/22 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
We use to hang a net Called a spider off of the break water at 2 rivers. We had a crane set up and used a 12 volt winch set up and hung a 12 volt sealed beam head light In the net. The light drew In the smelt in to the net. But It's been about 30 years since I did It.
Love some smelt.

Yep, worked dip nets off the Kewaunee pier (40 years ago). 1/4 mile long pier lit up by about a hundred Coleman lanterns. It was great fun....and eating too.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Smelt run - 05/07/22 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by TraderVic
Originally Posted by Green Bay

Nope, I hear of smelting up on Lake Superior, but not on Lake Michigan or any tributaries.

I'm in the southern U.P. on northern Lake Michigan,we do get smelt runs here but their small and nothing like days gone by.You got to be vigilant,the night you don't show up at your favorite stream could be the night of the big run According to friends of mine that live off Lake Superior that get better runs up there,still,nothing like the good ole days
© 2024 Trapperman Forums