Home

conibear "safety release" springs

Posted By: SNIPERBBB

conibear "safety release" springs - 05/06/22 12:38 AM

When were the conibears that had the release pins on the springs made?
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: conibear "safety release" springs - 05/06/22 01:24 AM

I believe early eighties. I had a few. Around 1980 anyway.
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: conibear "safety release" springs - 05/06/22 01:25 AM

I always thought they were aftermarket. I have been known to be wrong before. crazy
Posted By: Squirt

Re: conibear "safety release" springs - 05/06/22 01:48 AM

Not sure of exact dates but I know I bought 4 dozen new In victor boxes in 1983 from Pacific Hide and Fur/ scrap metal etc in Casper Wyoming Still replacing the little hair pin clips as they rust away
Posted By: Boco

Re: conibear "safety release" springs - 05/06/22 01:51 AM

I think I only seen one in a collection.
Looked like a gimmick to me.Not hard to yank your arm out of the old victors with the big jaw gap.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: conibear "safety release" springs - 05/06/22 01:52 AM

I still have a couple Victors like that from early 80s. They came stock for a few years. It was supposed to make it easy to remove the spring if you got caught in the trap. Turns out, it wasn’t really any easier than other methods so they quit making them that way. That’s the way I remember it anyway.
Posted By: Squirt

Re: conibear "safety release" springs - 05/06/22 02:09 AM

They recommended tying a piece of leather or something similar to the cotter key to help give you something to get ahold of to help pull the pin which would let the clip fall off the spring great sounding idea but not so good in real life

Re: conibear "safety release" springs - 05/06/22 08:48 PM

Yeah, I think Victor may have known it wasn’t that practical but thought it would calm the fears people had about handling large body grips.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: conibear "safety release" springs - 05/06/22 08:53 PM

I hated those traps. I’d rather have a Belisle and risk getting caught in one.

Re: conibear "safety release" springs - 05/06/22 08:58 PM

There were no Belisles back when those traps were made though.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: conibear "safety release" springs - 05/06/22 09:29 PM

There a r e Belisles now and people still don't understand the Real features And SAFETY of the real stay in place- safety hooks.
Too stubborn to really look.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: conibear "safety release" springs - 05/06/22 09:30 PM

That feature was on the Victor 330 conibears the first 2 years they made the humped corners. Those traps also came with the “wishbone triggers”. Both ideas were scrapped after the first 2 years.

Those 2 features caused untold numbers of missed catches. I bet the guys at Animal Trap Company got an earful about how bad those traps were.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: conibear "safety release" springs - 05/06/22 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
That feature was on the Victor 330 conibears the first 2 years they made the humped corners. Those traps also came with the “wishbone triggers”. Both ideas were scrapped after the first 2 years.

Those 2 features caused untold numbers of missed catches. I bet the guys at Animal Trap Company got an earful about how bad those traps were.

Hahaha I bet they did!
Posted By: Drifter

Re: conibear "safety release" springs - 05/06/22 09:43 PM

Still have a 220 with that on it. It never gets set.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums