Home

Hate these things…

Posted By: Nessmuck

Hate these things… - 05/06/22 01:13 AM

[Linked Image]

Let’s hear them stories ……..I haven’t been impaled yet ….but ruined about 5 pairs of hip boots…Be careful out there …only takes a second for real trouble to set in.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Hate these things… - 05/06/22 01:31 AM

Yep try to keep close tabs on where those are at. Even tell the land owners where they are at so they are not in these areas with a tractor or other equipment.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Hate these things… - 05/06/22 01:51 AM

Over here on the Mississippi I can recall several willow-covered islands that wound up covered with those. I ruined a pair of brand new Cabelas hip boots on them.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Boco

Re: Hate these things… - 05/06/22 01:53 AM

Speared my wrist a couple summers ago on a nuisance job.
Posted By: bob maier

Re: Hate these things… - 05/06/22 01:55 AM

I slipped on a small snow covered log and hit one of those w my chest. I broken a rib luckily I had a pair of heavy insulated coveralls on. Hurt like (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) especially when I took a deep breath.
Posted By: Mortz

Re: Hate these things… - 05/06/22 02:23 AM

I’ve had a few waders eaten by them a few got my leg too.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Hate these things… - 05/06/22 02:27 AM

Beaver pungi sticks.

Keith
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Hate these things… - 05/06/22 02:51 AM

I destroyed brand new chest waders on one of those on their maiden voyage. First swamp of the day. It was a slow motion deal which made it even more depressing.
Everything in the beaver swamp is trying to kill you.
Posted By: nate

Re: Hate these things… - 05/06/22 02:57 AM

Scary as h--- when I used to coon hunt, I cringe just thinking about them.
Posted By: i1deagU

Re: Hate these things… - 05/06/22 02:58 AM

Is that where he just chomps it in one bite and makes a deadly weapon?

Re: Hate these things… - 05/06/22 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by i1deagU
Is that where he just chomps it in one bite and makes a deadly weapon?

Pretty much…those things are everywhere…in the area Iam trapping now.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Hate these things… - 05/06/22 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC
Beaver pungi sticks.

Keith

That is exactly the first thing I thought !
Posted By: charles

Re: Hate these things… - 05/06/22 03:28 AM

Will be right there waiting for you when there is a sheet of ice on the water.
Posted By: bandy

Re: Hate these things… - 05/06/22 10:45 AM

Slipped on a rock on a little feeder stream stuck my hand out to catch myself. I found one of them with the soft part at the base of my thumb man that hurt still gives me problems.
Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: Hate these things… - 05/06/22 10:53 AM

Had a friend stick one in his thy fishing when we were young. Nasty they are.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Hate these things… - 05/06/22 11:01 AM

yes wreck a few pair of boots
Posted By: Pest's Dad

Re: Hate these things… - 05/06/22 11:05 AM

That's the stuff of nightmares! shocked
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Hate these things… - 05/06/22 11:07 AM

Tripped over one of them and fell head first onto a live beaver on a drowning rod that was set too shallow.

Another time I fell about 8 feet out of a tree stand that was surrounded by those and landed on my butt. Luckily I missed them or I would still be sitting there.

And, yes, my waders have suffered plenty too.

Re: Hate these things… - 05/06/22 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by MnMan
Tripped over one of them and fell head first onto a live beaver on a drowning rod that was set too shallow.

Another time I fell about 8 feet out of a tree stand that was surrounded by those and landed on my butt. Luckily I missed them or I would still be sitting there.

And, yes, my waders have suffered plenty too.

We need trap stick man….on the first story ….
Posted By: eric space

Re: Hate these things… - 05/06/22 02:06 PM

About 30+ years ago a friend, Bill, went on my beaver line with me. Was about a foot of snow on the ground and we had to walk about 2 miles down Flatbrook checking sets at several colonys as we went. At about one mile in, Bill tripped and went head first into the snow. He was behind me and when I turned around he said "Hey pull this stick out of my head". A beaver cut stump about as big around as a finger was sticking out of this head. The only thing that saved his life was the sun glasses he was wearing, as the stump hit the glasses dead center then glanced off entering his skin alongside the eye socket and coming out behind his ear. The stump was just rotten enough that it broke off at ground level, 6 inches sticking out the front of his head and 2 more sticking out behind his ear. I pulled it out and we headed our trucks. He didn't bleed a drop until we got to the trucks then the blood just poured out of him. Bill would not let me drive him to the ER, insisting he drive himself home. I followed him home and he sat at his kitchen table as his wife stitched his head with mono fish line. Never got infected at all but the hair above the stab turned white in the next month or so.

Re: Hate these things… - 05/06/22 04:57 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ we call them guys ..Haahd Bastids
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Hate these things… - 05/06/22 04:59 PM

Done battle with those things for years. I love it when the grass grows over the old cuts.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums