Home

How long?

Posted By: Boco

How long? - 05/06/22 04:36 AM

How long does it take you guys to get a truck when you custom order one from the factory?
Ford dealer here is saying 6 months-Toyota dealer is saying 4 months.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: How long? - 05/06/22 05:50 AM

The last and only time I bought a new truck, special order was in 1998. I bought a Ford F250. They said the wait would be 2 weeks, but I had the truck in 8 days. I ordered an 8' bed and the heavier F350 like suspension, for hauling feed. I paid $38,580.00 for it. I almost bought a loaded F350 for $58,000 something instead. I had the loan aproved and all the paperwork done, except for my signature and got thinking how I was living in a house I paid $60,000.00 for and it just felt wrong, so I walked. The poor salesman called me for weeks afterwards, apologizing and offering slightly better deals.

The average wait time for a similar truck from Ford now is supposed to be 6 to 8 weeks.

Keith
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: How long? - 05/06/22 06:09 AM

In 2019 I was going order a new F-350. They said 4 months, so it seems reasonable if they quote 6 months.

Here is my semi-recent experience:
When discussing the order, I asked them about their ability to hold the order and search dealer inventory. I gave them a list of specs that included “must haves” and “must not haves”. So the order was held and we searched for about 10 days finding nothing close enough. We gave it a break for a few weeks for inventory to change. They repeated the search and within one day found almost exactly what I wanted. My required specs were met, and it had some extras that are unnecessary but are very nice. With the family plan discount and stacked discounts, it turned that this more deluxe truck costed significantly less expensive than the less equipped truck to be ordered.

What are you looking for?
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: How long? - 05/06/22 08:59 AM

I’m not a Canadian oligarch so I don’t buy new vehicles all that often. grin

I did have to replace one of my work vans last June. I called a dozen dealerships in a 50 mile radius. None of them had three-quarter ton work vans available and none of them could even give me an estimate on when they may become available. Some of the sales people actually laughed at me, saying things like, “good luck with that.”

So I started looking at used vans and was shocked by the prices. Dealerships and private sales were asking more than new prices for vehicles up to six or seven years old.

I ended up buying a 2014 three-quarter ton cargo van from a place way north of me. I paid $18,000 which was at least $3000 more than market value. I told the guy, “last year you’ve been hard-pressed to get 15,000 for this thing.” He agreed with me and said, “yeah but that was last year.”

I don’t envy anyone looking to buy a new vehicle today.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: How long? - 05/06/22 09:06 AM

Sometimes a review of the options package will show one or two specific options that delay the whole build. Perhaps the option or package could be changed and change the timeframe. Or with certain options, an aftermarket option exists.
Posted By: trapNH

Re: How long? - 05/06/22 09:24 AM

My last one I ordered wa in 2014, it was about 6 weeks. Made in Mexico.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: How long? - 05/06/22 09:53 AM

4 months here on the last 2 I bought. Ordered on in August and had it mid November and another in December and it came in first of April.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: How long? - 05/06/22 11:43 AM

just check a few weeks ago 6month if they can get one , my buddy order one waited 4 month and it came in wrong
Posted By: bowhunterks

Re: How long? - 05/06/22 12:00 PM

Co-worker ordered a new 1 ton Ford 10 months ago it never got built
Ford cancelled is order he has to wait 3 months to reorder it.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: How long? - 05/06/22 12:27 PM

I'm going to have to Win one or something similar. Buy powerball!
Posted By: super cub

Re: How long? - 05/06/22 12:42 PM

I called all around Central and eastern Oregon and boise area both for chevy and ford, same story 4 to 6 months. I wanted to go back to a gas rig and sell my diesel
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: How long? - 05/06/22 12:52 PM

I put a deposit down on a new Tacoma in October. I do have confirmation that it was built last month but with current transportation issues they do not know when it will arrive at the dealership.
Posted By: yukon254

Re: How long? - 05/06/22 01:04 PM

Tell your Ford dealer to call the big dealership in Grande Prairie Alberta and have them send you one. I heard they get trucks first ? I do know last month their lot was overflowing with new pickups. Its the only lot I've seen with new trucks on it in two years. The Toyota dealer here doesnt have one vehicle on the lot. Not even a used one.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: How long? - 05/06/22 01:07 PM

Took 8 weeks to get my new jeep pickup a year ago. Been told I could sell it for more than I paid.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: run

Re: How long? - 05/06/22 03:14 PM

6 months for a tractor.

Re: How long? - 05/06/22 03:21 PM

Thanks for the responses guys,sounds like 6 month wait I guess-probably longer.I am a patient person,I will look forward to it for christmas.About like waiting for fur from the tannery,lol.
I ordered it today.
Ordered a new black Ranger 4x4.XLT FX4 supercab with the mid range EQ,and sport appearance pkg.And of course the ecoboost engine(love that engine) The guy quoted me a great price on my old 17 f-150 for a trade,but I will likely keep that truck for trapping.
A toyota tacoma was almost 7g more than the ford,lol
A f-150 was 8g more than the ranger.
I got several options/upgrades thrown it for no extra cost in the deal.Tire upgrade,spray in bedliner and trailer tow pkg.
I have dealt with this guy for a couple decades.

Re: How long? - 05/06/22 03:25 PM

Got a bit of grief from the wife,lol-she said-"you dont need another truck"

I said-"what does need got to do with it"?LOL.

Re: How long? - 05/06/22 03:39 PM

At least you didn't order a Chevy Colorado. LOL.

Re: How long? - 05/06/22 03:47 PM

A colorado is for those who cant afford a silverado.
I dont care for Dodge or Chev.
Drove them (beat them up) on the Railroad.
Fords were most reliable and tough in my experience.
Posted By: lobo

Re: How long? - 05/06/22 07:10 PM

I hope you like your new Ranger as much as I like mine.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: How long? - 05/06/22 08:03 PM

Nation wide Micro Chip shortage.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: How long? - 05/06/22 08:42 PM

That’s what I was told almost a year ago. We should soon be getting caught up on those microchips wouldn’t you think?
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: How long? - 05/06/22 08:48 PM

Bought a new Ranger for my wife April 21st, it is supposed to be here May 18th. Lariat with the packages she liked.

Re: How long? - 05/06/22 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by wy.wolfer
Bought a new Ranger for my wife April 21st, it is suppos3ed to be here May 18th. Lariat with the packages she liked.

That sounds reasonable.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: How long? - 05/06/22 09:34 PM

Talked with a lady last winter that had one of the new Rangers, she puts on 700 km a day 6 days a week. Prairie ice road travel was OK only 12 days last winter on her daily trips.
Figures by next year it will be time for a new one,250,000 km so she was going to order at Easter for one on time.
Get one with a sliding back window, helps with flow through
Posted By: Northof50

Re: How long? - 05/06/22 09:45 PM

Last year it was 6++ months for my daughters Hybrid Toyota
got her to write in the offer to purchase if not on time then winter tyres were included
she held them to it, when the months started to go past 6
Brother ordered a Madza made in Mexico was going to be 8 months out

That big dealership in Alberta when the Indian reserve royalities come in that lot will be MT. They send a bus load of hutterites out to drive back 40 trucks at a time They each get 1000$ (back then) for gas and the rest is theirs when they get home. After the first year they learned to drive slower and not burn as much, and some of them even visited their cousins in Alberta and Sask and got some of that colonies gas. Then the GPS tracking went on....each truck
Posted By: BigBob

Re: How long? - 05/07/22 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
That’s what I was told almost a year ago. We should soon be getting caught up on those microchips wouldn’t you think?

Not when the Government want to shove E-vehicles down our throats, or up the other end.

Re: How long? - 05/09/22 04:30 PM

The new diesel Ranger is supposed to be released in North America in 2023. Supposed to get 32 mpg overall, that would certainly reduce fuel costs. Anybody in cold country does NOT want an electric vehicle, unless you have a heated garage. And the range is significantly curtailed in cold weather, especially when running the heater.

Re: How long? - 05/09/22 04:34 PM

I wonder how the diesel Colorado compares to a diesel Ranger?

Re: How long? - 05/09/22 04:37 PM

Never knew they made a ranger with a diesel option?
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: How long? - 05/09/22 07:54 PM

Last one I ordered was in 2006 it 3 months is all.
Took extra 40 days just because it was a manual.
And a plane Jane model.

Re: How long? - 05/11/22 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Never knew they made a ranger with a diesel option?

They're in Africa and Europe, and I think maybe South America. I rented one for several weeks when hunting in SA and kept track of the liters and kilometers, then at home I calculated a hair over 32mpg, this was a 3L powertrain with tons of torque. Just about dead on to ford's sticker, Google Ford Diesel Ranger, I think they will offer 2-3 engines.
Posted By: GARY M.

Re: How long? - 05/11/22 12:41 AM

Ordered a tundra in February, it arrived in middle of March.
Posted By: midlander

Re: How long? - 05/11/22 01:11 AM

[quote=run]I wonder how the diesel Colorado compares to a diesel

Not sure if the higher mileage will help enough with the price of diesel fuel....ugh
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: How long? - 05/11/22 06:19 PM

We just got 4 in for work. Have 6 more ordered. Dealer said probably not going to get it this year.
Little better if you want a diesel.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums