Re: Ticks! - 05/06/22 05:27 PM

UGH
Posted By: Tatiana

Re: Ticks! - 05/06/22 05:44 PM

[Linked Image]
got bitten only once this year so far... smile
Posted By: Bob

Re: Ticks! - 05/06/22 05:48 PM

Keep those nasty buggers. I haven’t seen a tick in several years, I prefer to keep it that way
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Ticks! - 05/06/22 05:59 PM

Looks like you hit the mother load! They've been out here for several weeks now.
Posted By: nyhuntfish

Re: Ticks! - 05/06/22 06:07 PM

I got bit twice last weekend. Thank God I felt them and got them out of my skin as whole ticks.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Ticks! - 05/07/22 01:33 PM

Two years ago I contracted a disease called anaplasmosis from a tick bite.It gave me chills, fever, hallucinations, and extreme weakness.I ended up in hospital emergency room where they immediately started me on doxycycline in IV's in both arms.A nurse friend later told me that I almost died. Was on the antibiotic for a month. Disease attacks your organs, mine were the kidneys, liver, and heart, and long term residual affects. This led into an attack of dyverticulitis, which went into a nasty bacterial infection called C-Diff landing me in the hospital for two weeks in isolation. Finally cured that, but now I have colitis and am going to PT to recover my strength.
Lyme disease is common from a tickbite which can take up to 36 hours to transmit. Anaplasmosis takes 15 minutes. There are other very nasty diseases from tick bites. I can't stress enough to take precautions, self examine, and shower immediately upon returning home.
I'm a fisher trapper and have found as many as a dozen ticks on one animal. Seal them in a plastic bag and spray them with tick killer. The life you save might be your own!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Ticks! - 05/07/22 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Fisher Man
Two years ago I contracted a disease called anaplasmosis from a tick bite.It gave me chills, fever, hallucinations, and extreme weakness.I ended up in hospital emergency room where they immediately started me on doxycycline in IV's in both arms.A nurse friend later told me that I almost died. Was on the antibiotic for a month. Disease attacks your organs, mine were the kidneys, liver, and heart, and long term residual affects. This led into an attack of dyverticulitis, which went into a nasty bacterial infection called C-Diff landing me in the hospital for two weeks in isolation. Finally cured that, but now I have colitis and am going to PT to recover my strength.
Lyme disease is common from a tickbite which can take up to 36 hours to transmit. Anaplasmosis takes 15 minutes. There are other very nasty diseases from tick bites. I can't stress enough to take precautions, self examine, and shower immediately upon returning home.
I'm a fisher trapper and have found as many as a dozen ticks on one animal. Seal them in a plastic bag and spray them with tick killer. The life you save might be your own!

Wow

That's a lot of illness
I've had C diff once. Pharoah s disease
Nasty stuff.

How do you protect Now for ticks?
Posted By: MNTrapper21

Re: Ticks! - 05/07/22 01:52 PM

Permethrin.
Posted By: Tatiana

Re: Ticks! - 05/07/22 02:00 PM

In our area, Ixodes ticks spread piroplasmosis, babesiosis, and Lyme disease, which often remain undiagnosed and turn chronic. They also carry several viral diseases, including tick-borne encephalitis, which transmits instantly once the tick starts biting. It is often deadly, especially the Far Eastern form, and survivors often suffer from permanent CNS damage, including paralysis, headaches, etc. I lost a good friend to tick-borne encephalitis, it was just one tick and he got the immunoglobulin shot as soon as he discovered the tick but it was too late and he was unlucky.

To protect from ticks, we use sprays with at least 30% diethyltoluamide, and also wear special protective clothing in areas where there are many ticks, with elastic cuffs, special folds to capture crawling ticks and a detachable mosquito net for the face. It's also good to pre-treat clothing with permethrin, but diethyltoluamide has proven to be more important.

Re: Ticks! - 05/07/22 04:10 PM

To kill ticks by freezing the temperature must be below 10F for a sustained number of days. With climate change thatbis not happening much any more here in New York.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Ticks! - 05/07/22 04:34 PM

Holy cow. I think I’ll just stay here where there are no ticks
Posted By: PFC Davis

Re: Ticks! - 05/07/22 04:41 PM

Get a bunch of guinea fowl or possums.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Ticks! - 05/07/22 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tatiana
[Linked Image]

I am itching and feeling crawlies looking at that picture!!!
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Ticks! - 05/07/22 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by PVT Davis
Get a bunch of guinea fowl or possums.

The guineas are the reason the ticks are leaving that fox. lol
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Ticks! - 05/07/22 10:54 PM

I saw the first one today while fishing at the creek with Grandkids.

Re: Ticks! - 05/08/22 01:58 PM

Possums don't eat ticks. Just a falsehood.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Ticks! - 05/08/22 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tatiana
[Linked Image]

sure looks like an Ixodes[b][/b] species

Re: Ticks! - 05/08/22 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
[Linked Image]

Lone star tick Amblyomma americanum
the one that can carry to problems of red meat issues to people

Re: Ticks! - 05/08/22 02:19 PM

Even a tick crawling across the skin can leave some of those diseases behind.
Sorry Fisher Man about your sickness and for your loss of a friend Tatiana.

your statement about going to 10F and ticks dying is just a old school thinking Fisher Man
30 years ago they overwintered some Ixodes way past Boco hometown and the winter temp was -40c/f for 22 days and below -10c for 70 days and 98% of the ticks survived
Grad student overwintered the American dog tick in pails and those survived for 2 winters with temps reaching -30c in the pails and a flood for 4 weeks one time
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Ticks! - 05/08/22 02:43 PM

If God created everything for a reason, He screwed up with ticks. There is no reason for such a disgusting creature!
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Ticks! - 05/08/22 05:41 PM

Poultry need to eat. lol

Re: Ticks! - 11/19/22 01:58 AM

Just a fall reminder that the Ixodes ticks are still out there, until 6 inches of permanite snow cover
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Ticks! - 11/19/22 02:31 AM

Looks like y’all need some possums.

Sorry…just had to!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums